Need help ASAP!! House struck by lightning! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-23-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had a storm blow through early Tuesday morning and lightning either struck the house or nearby causing a power surge. All of my electronics are plugged into surge protectors but apparently they didn't do anything to prevent all of my electronics being fried. My biggest worry is my projector. It's a panasonic AE-7000U that is less than 8 months old. It turns on but then goes into temp protect mode. Is there anything I can do to save it? Is there an internal breaker switch or something I can reset myself? My insurance deductible is $5216 and they want me to get repair quotes before they agree to replace anything so basically I'm SOL. Even if they do agree to replace I'm still out 5g's so at this point going through insurance is pointless.

My Yamaha av receiver, ps3, and Xbox 360 have also been fried as well. I'm at a loss. Anyone been through this situation before that can offer some help!? It will be greatly appreciated. I don't know the next step. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
you can try sending it to here:

http://mendtronix.com/in-warranty-and-out-of-warranty-repair.html

they are JVC's HQ for repairs now, they fix other models as well. At least for a relatively low price you can see if it's worth repairing or not.

this is after the fact, but check with your insurance co. on the cost of extra coverage on your electronic equipment. I have a specific policy addition just for my computer and HT equipment and it's not that much extra per year.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM

Liked: 11
What typ of surge protector if its Monster,APC,Panamax-Furman,Belkn they have a replacement policy. My buddy had it happen in the Portland area yeasterday glad he had APC I sold him.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by force10 View Post

What typ of surge protector if its Monster,APC,Panamax-Furman,Belkn they have a replacement policy. My buddy had it happen in the Portland area yeasterday glad he had APC I sold him.

I'm located in Houston, TX. I was using 2 belkin surge strips and a monoprice surge protector. All 3 surge protectors are undamaged and never even tripped. No idea how that happens. After talking with panasonic tech support I was able to get the projector back up and running after unplugging it for a bit and resetting the master switch. Everything else is still dead.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Glad to hear the Pana is up again. I would check with the power strip manufactures and determine if they are going to offer any help on the other devices, especially since they didn't even trip? It looks like you may have to pay to ship the power strips and equipt to them to inspect and you may have to pay for an inspection. Even their cheapest model has coverage up to $10000, but they mention value determined by, "The fair market value of the equipment shall be the current value of the equipment specified in the most recent edition of the Orion Blue Book by Orion Research Corporation, Roger Rohrs Publisher". I guess you'll have to see what the costs will be for shipping and determine if the market value will be worth the trouble and/or the repair?
post #6 of 17 Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Glad to hear the Pana is up again. I would check with the power strip manufactures and determine if they are going to offer any help on the other devices, especially since they didn't even trip?

Yeah. The uverse tech that came out today recommended that as well. I remember when I bought them seeing they had a certain dollar amount of warranty with them, but no telling if I still even have the receipts. I'm also going to place a call in to the electric company tomorrow as they supposedly offer some type of damage insurance with my plan. Anything to cover the difference of my deductible helps as I'm not in the position to spend another $5000 out of pocket just to get back where I was. We just moved in to our brand new construction home 8 months ago and I just finished the media room a month ago.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-24-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnell View Post

I'm located in Houston, TX. I was using 2 belkin surge strips and a monoprice surge protector. All 3 surge protectors are undamaged and never even tripped. No idea how that happens. After talking with panasonic tech support I was able to get the projector back up and running after unplugging it for a bit and resetting the master switch. Everything else is still dead.

Sounds like the lighting did not come in through the power line. Do you have coaxial cable (TV) hooked up to the system? Lighting could have traveled to the equipment through it.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #8 of 17 Old 05-24-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Sounds like the lighting did not come in through the power line. Do you have coaxial cable (TV) hooked up to the system? Lighting could have traveled to the equipment through it.

The media room is only connected to the wall for power, the speakers, and an hdmi cable. The uverse box is wireless so the only way it could have gotten to any if that equipment was through the electrical wiring.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Would a whole house surge suppressor attached to the circuit breaker prevent lightening damage to the electronics if it hits the house or lines outside?

post #10 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post

Would a whole house surge suppressor attached to the circuit breaker prevent lightening damage to the electronics if it hits the house or lines outside?

Nothing will save you or your electronics from a direct hit by lightning.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 321
When lightning hit my house, it blew the HDMI input on almost everything that had an HDMI cable plugged into it. On a projector that had two HDMI inpuys wired inside in parallel, both inputs no longer worked. Component in was fine. On a plasma, the two HDMI inputs each had its own input circuit and the second one with no input cable in it continued to work. self powered speakers with line level in in blew with real serious damage to the amp boards.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #12 of 17 Old 05-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

When lightning hit my house, it blew the HDMI input on almost everything that had an HDMI cable plugged into it. On a projector that had two HDMI inpuys wired inside in parallel, both inputs no longer worked. Component in was fine. On a plasma, the two HDMI inputs each had its own input circuit and the second one with no input cable in it continued to work. self powered speakers with line level in in blew with real serious damage to the amp boards.

If any of the equipment were connected to a surge suppressor/line conditioner were you able apply for the guarantee that many claim to replace any damaged equipment?  If so what kind of documentation was required to establish you actually did have whatever attached to the line conditioner/surge suppressor when it was damaged?

post #13 of 17 Old 11-22-2013, 09:34 AM

I have the exact same problem with my Panasonic projector (lightning, temp light). Could you let me know what their tech support said (especially regards to the master switch?). I'd really like to get mine up and running if possible.

post #14 of 17 Old 11-22-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnell View Post

Does not sound like a power surge. Your surge protectors did not trip, so it sounds like lightining ran in on another line, like the cable line. This is pretty common.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #15 of 17 Old 11-22-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Donnell;
what was the final closure on this?
How much did insurance cover?
Did you get anything from belkin / monoprice?
post #16 of 17 Old 11-23-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
does the house have common ground running through the lines. older homes don't have this.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-25-2013, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Totally forgot about this thread. Here's the update:

Insurance deductible (mortgage co and State Farm handled the details) ended up being 6% so that ruled out going thru them as the out of pocket was over 6k. I instead replaced the power supplies for the iMac, ps3 and Xbox. The projector ended up working practically on its own while on the phone with panasonic tech support. There is apparently an internal circuit breaker, but I never had to reset it. I haven't replaced the av receiver yet as I've had several unexpected expenses come up this year, but I'll probably treat myself for Xmas.

This house/neighborhood has since been affected by lightning 2 other times since this incident, but the last two only fried the uverse equipment. Speaking with higher ups at ATT it's a common problem in my area with their fiber network, somehow electrical surges are coming through in one way or another, but I never got a detailed explanation why.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Xbox 360 Console , Playstation 3 320gb System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page