Sony Tech Support Says The FMP-X1 Is Compatible With the VPL-VW1000ES - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I chatted with Sony Tech Support online today and was told the FMP-X1 Media Player is compatible with the 4k projector!!!

"1:37 PM Support session established with Lisa - (C5FJ).
1:38 PM Lisa - (C5FJ):
Hi, Welcome to Sony Online Support.My name is Lisa.
1:38 PM Customer:
Hi Liisa
1:38 PM Lisa - (C5FJ):
Please give a couple of minute while I review your concern.
1:38 PM Customer:
Thanks
1:39 PM Lisa - (C5FJ):
You're welcome.
1:42 PM Lisa - (C5FJ):
Let me know the Sony product that you are referring to.
1:43 PM Customer:
I have a VPL-VW1000ES 4k projector and want to know if the media player FMP-X1 is compatible. If it is I will want to order one.
1:44 PM Lisa - (C5FJ):
Okay.
1:44 PM Lisa - (C5FJ):
I will provide you the information in this regard.
1:45 PM Customer:
Thanks
1:50 PM Lisa - (C5FJ):
It is compatiable.
1:50 PM Customer:
thank you
1:51 PM Lisa - (C5FJ):
You can useUse a high-speed HDMI cable. With a standard HDMI cable, images of 1080p, DeepColor, 3D
video and 4K video may not be displayed properly.
1:51 PM Customer:
any other hints?
1:53 PM Lisa - (C5FJ):
It will be ok if you use the above requires.
1:53 PM Customer:
ok thanks bye"

This is great news as I have not gotten this information confirmed any place else and boy have I been looking.

Sometimes it is best to go straight to the horse's mouth!!

Now I wonder if Sony will be giving us poor projector owners the same $200 incentive https://sonystyle.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/5/98 they are to panel consumers?

Well unfortunately as it turns out Lisa was misinformed as the FMP-X1 is indeed not compatible with the 1000ES.

But don't worry, Sony Engineering is evaluating the issue.................... rolleyes.gif

David Ferebee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-28-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Dear Admin, Please move this post to the Sony VPL-vw1000 thread which is where I wanted to post this to begin with. Thanks, David Ferebee

David Ferebee
post #3 of 41 Old 05-28-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Some of us in the business have had the answer to whether the server would be compatible with the 1000ES for a few weeks now but were given the answer under confidentiality, please don't publish or post. I think Sony people are being very careful not to get in trouble with higher ups.
My guess is the new Sony ES product manager will monitor this thread and I would voice my support for the credit being made available to 1000ES owners, the true early adopters of Sony 4K. Such a move would help secure brand loyalty from this group of several thousand. A $200 discount would still reimburse Sony above dealer cost. The real thing which is needed by 1000ES owners is not having to go to the end of the line behind panel purchasers. Let any and all preorder with preorder establishing the pecking order for delivery.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4 of 41 Old 05-28-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Mark, I think if Sony support let the word out, its safe.

Matt
post #5 of 41 Old 05-28-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Mark is just trying to look out for somebody, if they made the mistake and let info out that they should not have. It is one thing to say I spoke with Customer service and was told xyz. It is another, when you list the person's name.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 41 Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Concisely, how would this work with the 1000ES? Does Sony load a given set of movies into it, or does it download them over wifi, etc.? And it provides true 4K input?
post #7 of 41 Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Somebody in customer support who know very little about the vw1000ES it being a very niche product gets asked a will it work with an X. That person has no clue so he/she calls somebody in Sony with some technical knowledge, msybe the US projector engineer for Sony. he takes the call, forgets that the info is not yet for public consumption, says sure but you have to use a high speed HDMI or some of it might not work. The customer service person, not knowing any better, let's the info out.

Now Bill. There will be a server, it may or may not come preloaded with some content for Sony 1000ES owners, my guess is it won't. The server will be on the market before the Sony 4K content internet service is up and running. Without 4K content, it is useless more or less. So it will come preloaded with some content initially. This was a deal Sony entertainment was forced into. In order to sell 4K flat panels in quantity, content albeit how limited must be made available now. So the head of Sony forced Sony Entertainment into providing it for free my guess on a VERY limited basis and that is for 4K panel owners only until the pay service is up and running. That is why I think the server won't be made operationable for 4K projector owners until then and why the compatibility issue has been hushed up. Sony consists of three arms. An insurance company in Japan which has been under performing but which is still a good money maker, Sony Entertainment, US based which has been making lots of money, and the Hardware or electronics division which has been bleeding large sums of money. Sony was in the black last Q for the first time in a long while but no thanks to the electronics arm. The Japanese do not have a clue as to how to run Home Entertainment. That arm has to be fluid and to make changes quickly, something the Japanese are not good at. Politics and the financial institutions and market dictate that the Japanese leave it alone and let it run itself. The financial sector wants Sony to substantially exit the electronics business or to spin off the money making other arms.. That would raise cash for the electronics arm but will sooner or later cause it to fail. Not much is known about Sony's coming internet 4K content service. The quality technical wise or whether it will be pay for view or pay per title. We just don't have the details for the internet service. And what difference does it make. It will be what it is and we will have to like it no matter what. It won't change anything that we are doing now, it will just provide us with some sort of 4HD content, probably not all well shot in 4K or mastered correctly initially just as is the case with the content now provided to owners of the 84 inch 4K panels on their loaner servers. Hope this helps.

Mark Haflich

post #8 of 41 Old 05-30-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Until there is a press release, I would not assume anything, just because a customer service rep said something.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #9 of 41 Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol View Post

I chatted with Sony Tech Support online today and was told the FMP-X1 Media Player is compatible with the 4k projector!!!
Could you please correct the title of this thread : VPL-VW1000ES, not the 100
post #10 of 41 Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Until there is a press release, I would not assume anything, just because a customer service rep said something.
And that is exactly the reason why I am not jumping into the VW1000 yet. And even if Sony's standalone server will be compatible with the VW1000 we would still have the problem that the the new 4K standard (that is being in development lets hope) will probably not be compatible with the VW1000 hdmi 1.4 input board. So I buy a 4K machine now and there is a big chance that it will not support 4K content.................
post #11 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

After talking to the Sony Tech Rep I then talked to my dealer and my area's Sony Sales Rep who have said that the Media Player is compatible with the VW1000ES.

As a result I placed a paid order with my dealer for the FMP-X1 so I can hopefully get one of the first allocated.

I will let you all know how it looks when I get it hooded up!

David Ferebee
post #12 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
How is it possible that you did a pre-order with your dealer???

There isn t any official price or releasedate let alone any official specs. Rumor has it that the player won t be released until christmas.
post #13 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

And that is exactly the reason why I am not jumping into the VW1000 yet. And even if Sony's standalone server will be compatible with the VW1000 we would still have the problem that the the new 4K standard (that is being in development lets hope) will probably not be compatible with the VW1000 hdmi 1.4 input board. So I buy a 4K machine now and there is a big chance that it will not support 4K content.................

I to was concerned about the upcoming change to the HDMI standard so I asked my dealer about that before pulling the trigger; he said that there would be an upgraded board available from Sony to future proof the PJ in that regard so I proceeded.

I also asked my area's Sony Sales Rep about the new HDMI 2.0 standard and he said that there will be an upgraded circuit board for the PJ that includes new HDMI or whatever connectors are included in the standard that will be available for a cost.

Even with all that having been said I know I am taking a calculated risk by being an early adopter of the PJ and if things go South I have only myself to blame.

David Ferebee
post #14 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The FMP-X1 Media Player will use eyeIO codec and compression technique.

Press release; Engadget.
Quote:
eyeIO Delivers Unprecedented Viewing Experience for Sony Pictures Content on Sony 4K UltraHD TVs

eyeIO technology readies new Sony Media Player with true 4K UltraHD titles at remarkably low bandwidth

PALO ALTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Eye IO, LLC (eyeIO) announced today its UltraHD compression encoding technology has been licensed by Sony Pictures to enable the studio to offer the first-ever 4K UltraHD content delivered to the home.

"We are confident that eyeIO's capabilities are perfectly matched with Sony's commitment to high quality viewing experiences as well as creating and delivering captivating content to enhance the viewing experience of audiences everywhere."
Owners of Sony Electronics 4K UltraHD TVs will be able to enjoy a selection of 4K movies delivered to their sets via Sony's 4K media player, which launches this summer. eyeIO's core video technology efficiently processes, compresses and encodes the enormous 4K source files into a format that requires significantly less bandwidth, making distribution more efficient and conserving storage space on devices as well as bandwidth costs.

"We are honored to play an integral part in the first commercial, worldwide use of 4K UltraHD with Sony Pictures," said Rodolfo Vargas, CEO of eyeIO. "We are confident that eyeIO's capabilities are perfectly matched with Sony's commitment to high quality viewing experiences as well as creating and delivering captivating content to enhance the viewing experience of audiences everywhere."

"From the cinema to the home, Sony Pictures Technologies strives to deliver the audience an experience that is as close as possible to the filmmaker's original vision. eyeIO's technology makes it practical to deliver movies to the home in unprecedented 4K quality, and we are proud to partner with them on this groundbreaking launch," Chris Cookson, President, Sony Pictures Technologies, added.

The assets encoded at eyeIO's Palo Alto headquarters are full 4K UltraHD, 3840x2160 resolution and include support for extended gamut color (xvYCC). eyeIO's certified, 4K UltraHD offering has been perfected over the course of the last two years, offering a simplified workflow, ultra-high quality at incredible speed to improve cost efficiency and establish a standard for the industry at large.

Films available at launch include Bad Teacher, Battle: Los Angeles, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Karate Kid (2010), Salt, Taxi Driver, That's My Boy, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Other Guys and Total Recall (2012). For more information on Sony's 4K UltraHD TVs, visit www.sony.com/4K.

Notice that all these movies are mostly either 4K scans of old archive prints or if shot on 4K++ cameras with VFX/CGI are upconverts from a 2K DI.
Don't expect too much. cool.gif
-
-
And this now, just when NHK flaunts 8K Ultra HD compact broadcast camera and 8K real time compression from 30Gbps camera stream to 85Mbs display stream. biggrin.gif
-
-
post #15 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

How is it possible that you did a pre-order with your dealer???

There isn t any official price or releasedate let alone any official specs. Rumor has it that the player won t be released until christmas.

Just about every press release for the media player mentions a price of $699 http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/07/sony-announces-fmp-x1-4k-media-player-and-distribution-service/ so that is what I have paid.

The press releases also say the player will be available this summer with the streaming service coming on line in the fall.

Sony has also announced a $200 off promotion for the media player for smaller panel owners https://sonystyle.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/5/98

Hopefully Sony will extend the same discount to PJ owners; if not when my player comes in my dealer and I will negotiate an appropriate discount and he will refund the difference in what I have paid upfront.

This kind of service and flexibility is the advantage of having a close long term relationship with a dealer.

David Ferebee
post #16 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Films available at launch include Bad Teacher, Battle: Los Angeles, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Karate Kid (2010), Salt, Taxi Driver, That's My Boy, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Other Guys and Total Recall (2012).

I was on the fence to upgrade to 4K, but this just made up my mind. I have to see 'That's my Boy' in native 4K.

I know folks are starved for 4K content, but that's a relatively weak lineup to start with. What other studios are committing 4K content to this Sony endeavor?

They should post a schedule of upcoming releases to get folks excited about investing big $$ into 4K. It could stagnate after the initial release unless they have agreements for others to commit 4K content.

post #17 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Notice that all these movies are mostly either 4K scans of old archive prints or if shot on 4K++ cameras with VFX/CGI are upconverts from a 2K DI.
Don't expect too much.

In that case I'll continue to buy new Blu Rays. rolleyes.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #18 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

After talking to the Sony Tech Rep I then talked to my dealer and my area's Sony Sales Rep who have said that the Media Player is compatible with the VW1000ES.

As a result I placed a paid order with my dealer for the FMP-X1 so I can hopefully get one of the first allocated.

I will let you all know how it looks when I get it hooded up!
There will be many AVS members that get it before you. Sony is not yet accepting dealer orders for it. Though your dealer knows the MSRP. Noone will end up having to pay more than $399 for these. Sonyr 4K panel owners will be the first to get them.

Mark Haflich

post #19 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I was on the fence to upgrade to 4K, but this just made up my mind. I have to see 'That's my Boy' in native 4K.

I know folks are starved for 4K content, but that's a relatively weak lineup to start with. What other studios are committing 4K content to this Sony endeavor?

They should post a schedule of upcoming releases to get folks excited about investing big $$ into 4K. It could stagnate after the initial release unless they have agreements for others to commit 4K content.

I'm guessing you will most likely be keeping your RS55 for another year. If jvc does come out with a 4k model this year that's 4k30, I wonder how much better it would be than the eshift models
post #20 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Zombie. OK I am biased having owned a 1000ES fir over a year. Watched basically nothing other than upscaled 720p, 1080i and 1080p 24 and 30. For many reasons the picture is significantly better than the JVC e shift which isn't at all bad. forget about the native difference in the number of pixels on the chips, the Sony has a much better lens, a more power lamp, better scaling yada yada. Do any of you JVC have a little wish for an upgraded JVC new model? Every year or two JVC owners gotta upgrade. To my knowledge no 1000ES owner here isn't totally happy with his/her picture quality. That's not to say that there are no problems but in the great scheme of having close to the best PQ possible know, they are trivial.

Mark Haflich

post #21 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Zombie. OK I am biased having owned a 1000ES fir over a year. Watched basically nothing other than upscaled 720p, 1080i and 1080p 24 and 30. For many reasons the picture is significantly better than the JVC e shift which isn't at all bad. forget about the native difference in the number of pixels on the chips, the Sony has a much better lens, a more power lamp, better scaling yada yada. Do any of you JVC have a little wish for an upgraded JVC new model? Every year or two JVC owners gotta upgrade. To my knowledge no 1000ES owner here isn't totally happy with his/her picture quality. That's not to say that there are no problems but in the great scheme of having close to the best PQ possible know, they are trivial.

Well put, Mark. For the price, of course, one was hoping that this would be the case, and happily it is.
post #22 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 324
How do you guys measure 'significantly' better? is the JVC going to look like a 480P business projector in comparison with 1080P content as a source? That would be pretty significant in my opinion.

I'd pay 5x the amount for that. especially if I get to see 'That's my Boy' in 4K. biggrin.gif

post #23 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Zombie. I have offered many times to bring my 1000ES to your house and you can do an A/b and make your own judgement. I will be traveling until the 22nd nut after that let me know.

Mark Haflich

post #24 of 41 Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I to was concerned about the upcoming change to the HDMI standard so I asked my dealer about that before pulling the trigger; he said that there would be an upgraded board available from Sony to future proof the PJ in that regard so I proceeded.

I also asked my area's Sony Sales Rep about the new HDMI 2.0 standard and he said that there will be an upgraded circuit board for the PJ that includes new HDMI or whatever connectors are included in the standard that will be available for a cost.

Even with all that having been said I know I am taking a calculated risk by being an early adopter of the PJ and if things go South I have only myself to blame.

You are an early adopter of 4K projection. You are not an early adopter of the 1000ES which has been out for over 1 1/2 years. Many bugs have been fixed since it first came out and the software has been upgraded several times. you are buying a well established refined projector at this time and one that Sony buy offering a new input board should that become necessary won't become obsolete any time soon. My guess is that an input board meeting the coming new HDMI standard is at least a year away.

Mark Haflich

post #25 of 41 Old 06-01-2013, 02:25 AM

Liked: 10
I don't see why the player is not compatible unless there is a lock down with Mac ID.
post #26 of 41 Old 06-01-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A reviewer friend of mine has a 1000ES and Sony sent him the server it is loaning to 84 inch panel buyers and It would not work with the 1000ES. It they said after some research that it was protected and that it would only work with the specific serial number set it was sold with. Sony then sent him the older server that they use for store displays. Now a new server is coming and we know it can work with the 1000ES. Its HDMI out and the 1000ES is HDMI in. Who knows what degree of protection will be employed? The server could be keyed to a specific serial number or not. Didn't Sony say earlier it wouldn't work with other companies' panels? I seem to remember that. So who knows? I am pretty sure that initial servers will be allocated in a way to stimulate panel sales.

Mark Haflich

post #27 of 41 Old 06-01-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

How do you guys measure 'significantly' better? is the JVC going to look like a 480P business projector in comparison with 1080P content as a source? That would be pretty significant in my opinion.

I'd pay 5x the amount for that. especially if I get to see 'That's my Boy' in 4K. biggrin.gif

Z10K

In my book it is not 'significantly' better ,it is better on some important points ( depending on who you are, where to use it and what you has for priority ) - dont get me wrong, I love mine, but it still has some annoying small bugs, which is not resolved or disappeared completely by sofware updates and probely not is going to - and so one can also discuss what to accept the imperfections / design related things with a projector in 25K dollar class.smile.gif

No projectors are error-free, no matter what price range they are (also in very high price range) and it must be realized and probably accept before investing in them, otherwise you can still find it difficult to be 100% satisfied with the purchase .

As said, I love my projector and despite a few minor flaws, I would not exchange it with any other model or return it - as no other projektorere on the market currently. (That I know of, and in my personal opinion / priotering) offers the same qualities within approximately the same price range.

I hope not, that I have opened a Pandora's box now biggrin.gif

dj
post #28 of 41 Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
A new company enters the game of 4K Media Players.

NanoTech Entertainment (NTEK) Announces Price And Availability Of Its New 4K Ultra High Definition Media Player And Distribution Service
Industry First 4K Ultra High Definition Experience Delivered Over Streaming Wi-Fi Network

Isn't that what people have been afraid of, 4K "compressed to death" to be able to stream compared to better quality that has to be downloaded?

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/29/5455853/nanotech-entertainment-ntek-announces.html#storylink=cpy

Will be interesting to see what kind of compression codec they are going to use. If they are going to use something else than Sony, then there are three new compression codec in addition to HEVC/Mpeg.
Maybe development of H.265 was a waste of time. biggrin.gif

NanoTech Entertainment is a arcade games and streaming Apps company with less than no money in the bank and uses the Roku player for some of their services. Is this 4K player just a Roku 4K media player with a Nanotech software App?
Quote:
4K Media Player, the Nuvola NP-1, and 4K Streaming Video service, NanoFlix UHD – both industry firsts. The new NP-1 Player will cost $299, the lowest price 4K player in the market, and will be available for order online and at retail beginning July 15, 2013.

Unlike other 4K players, our unit will work with any brand of Television and a variety of content delivery services. The availability of the Nuvola NP-1 will be followed in fall by our streaming 4K video distribution service that will demonstrate how NanoTech continues to lead the market in bringing the 4K entertainment experience to consumers."

This summer, consumers of 4K UHD TVs can purchase the Nuvola 4K Media Player bundled with 10 videos in true 4K resolution, 10 video games and 5 multimedia applications, for $299.
In the fall of 2013, users of the same 4K Media Player will be given access to a fee-based streaming video distribution service, NanoFlix UHD, offering a library of 4K titles.
Lofty promises.
Sound more that they are just a software head for Roku with something like Netflix, Amazon or any of the other ROKU able streaming services.
post #29 of 41 Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 11
@discodol : Again, could you please correct the title of this thread : VPL-VW1000ES, not the 100 !
post #30 of 41 Old 06-01-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Even I am still 100% content with my 1000ES. And as many here know I used to change every other month or so! biggrin.gif

Until you have one up in your room... smile.gif

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page