Benq W1070 with darbee vs JVC x55 with e-shift2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jamieuk147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry to anyone who was hoping for a comparison !

I have the W1070 and love it!! I have the upgrade itch though as have some bonus money.

Am just wondering if there is a huge leap here from the W1070 with a darbee vs the JVC x55 with e-shift for 3D, Gaming and bleurays ?


One last thing! when I look at e-shift images, I kinda see an effect the darbee creates with standard 1080p images, am I alone with this thinking?
jamieuk147 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 05:37 AM
Member
 
Mustang84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi, as for 3D be aware that JVC is not a DLP like the W1070. This means that you will have some cross-talk. JVC's are not light cannons either, which is quite important for 3D. However, when I compare the 3D of my W1070 with other projectors (Sony HW50) it is also not the brightest (eventhough the projector is rated to have 2000 lumens). Generally JVC's 3D ist not considered one of the best... However from what I heard, the 2D picture is amazing (contrast ratio). As for gaming I think the W1070 is considered to be very good (almost all DLP's) because of a low input lag. I can't say anything about the JVC here.
Mustang84 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 74
3D and gaming, the W1070 will be better. With blu rays, its not close, jvc by a huge margin. Overall, the jvc is better
blee0120 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jamieuk147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I love DLP but there doesnt seem to be any options of a upgrade from the W1070 to another 3D DLP projector?

smile.gif
jamieuk147 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,001
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Yah not much out there, all you can do is like the rest of us and buy two projectors to get the best of both worlds. There really isn't a 3D DLP projector (that I know of) under $15,000 that is competitive with the image quality of the RS-55. Some would disagree, but I don't think most would. Actually you'd probably have to pay over $25,000 for one of the SIM models or something.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jamieuk147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I all ready own 2 x W1070 projectors as I was that impressed when I got the first for the cost.

Maybe it would make sense to sell one and buy a better 2D projector with 0.95 optics.

Would any of these projectors be a decent upgrade over the W1070

IN83
Sim2 D80E

Maybe something else under £2000 $3500?
jamieuk147 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,001
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 149
How is the stacking method working for you?
I've been meaning to try this myself eventually, since 3D from one PJ hurts my eyes a bit due to the shuttering of the glasses.
For movies, I'd say go to the JVC. I misunderstood your first post, thought you already owned the JVC.

I don't think those two PJ's you mentioned would be a huge upgrade, it might be a little difference, but probably not much in movies. We're kind of starved in the DLP market, you can look at used ones like the Runco LS-5 / Planar PD8150 (I think that is the correct model)...


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jamieuk147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi I am not stacking smile.gif one projector in my bedroom the other in my lounge
jamieuk147 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,471
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

Well I all ready own 2 x W1070 projectors as I was that impressed when I got the first for the cost.

Maybe it would make sense to sell one and buy a better 2D projector with 0.95 optics.

Would any of these projectors be a decent upgrade over the W1070

IN83
Sim2 D80E

Maybe something else under £2000 $3500?

Out of all the .95" DLP units I've owned, the IN83 (and IN82) were the least sharp, which means they most likely used the cheapest optics out of them all. I also noticed an odd aliasing artifact present in the image on any edges in the picture that were either horizontal or vertical (window frames on buildings are a good example). I think this has to do with some sort of native over sharpening built into the projector. If I lowered the sharpness in the user menu it lessened the effect but never totally got rid of it. Picture quality overall was good, but nothing spectacular. This is one of those models that I wouldn't fully recommend because one of the bigger points in buying a DLP with the larger chip is for superior sharpness over any other technology type. So unless both the IN82 and IN83 I received were both defective, which I doubt considering they were equally sharp and both had the aliasing issue, I'd look elsewhere because you'd be missing out on one awesome benefits DLP has to offer.

I did own a Sim2 D80 for a few months. The D80E has a tweaked light path and new bulb that allows for what my Planar PD8150 and some much higher end DLP units have called Unishape lamp technology. What this technology does is modulates the lamp in both higher brightness scenes and lower brightness scenes. Lumen output is greater and contrast will be nicer too. DLP units typically have dark image noise and unishape gets rid of that dithering noise and makes darker scenes look much better. The Sim2 D80 I had didn't impress me that much either. The motorized optics were a nice touch and are something typically missing from DLP projectors under $15000. The optics were better than the both InFocus models, but not any nicer than the rest of the .95" DLP units I've owned. I'd place image sharpness second to last out of all the .95" DLP units I've owned.

So, if you want to upgrade from the W1070, both of those models will look nicer but not by a huge amount. If you see an awsome deal on either you should pick them up and give them a try. But, if I were you I'd look into buying a Planar PD8130 (or PD8150 if you can find one), Sharp XV-Z20000, Marantz VP-15S1, or a Samsung SP-A900B as all of these models will give you a HUGE step up in over all picture quality performance over the BenQ you have now. I would argue and I'm sure many won't agree, that all the models I've just mentioned will look better than the JVC line of projectors. I have owned a few JVCs and that's my personal take on the situation. I've seen a lot and I've came to the conclusion that if DLP is done right, it's definitely the best technology for front projection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
Seegs108 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jamieuk147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Out of all the .95" DLP units I've owned, the IN83 (and IN82) were the least sharp, which means they most likely used the cheapest optics out of them all. I also noticed an odd aliasing artifact present in the image on any edges in the picture that were either horizontal or vertical (window frames on buildings are a good example). I think this has to do with some sort of native over sharpening built into the projector. If I lowered the sharpness in the user menu it lessened the effect but never totally got rid of it. Picture quality overall was good, but nothing spectacular. This is one of those models that I wouldn't fully recommend because one of the bigger points in buying a DLP with the larger chip is for superior sharpness over any other technology type. So unless both the IN82 and IN83 I received were both defective, which I doubt considering they were equally sharp and both had the aliasing issue, I'd look elsewhere because you'd be missing out on one awesome benefits DLP has to offer.

I did own a Sim2 D80 for a few months. The D80E has a tweaked light path and new bulb that allows for what my Planar PD8150 and some much higher end DLP units have called Unishape lamp technology. What this technology does is modulates the lamp in both higher brightness scenes and lower brightness scenes. Lumen output is greater and contrast will be nicer too. DLP units typically have dark image noise and unishape gets rid of that dithering noise and makes darker scenes look much better. The Sim2 D80 I had didn't impress me that much either. The motorized optics were a nice touch and are something typically missing from DLP projectors under $15000. The optics were better than the both InFocus models, but not any nicer than the rest of the .95" DLP units I've owned. I'd place image sharpness second to last out of all the .95" DLP units I've owned.

So, if you want to upgrade from the W1070, both of those models will look nicer but not by a huge amount. If you see an awsome deal on either you should pick them up and give them a try. But, if I were you I'd look into buying a Planar PD8130 (or PD8150 if you can find one), Sharp XV-Z20000, Marantz VP-15S1, or a Samsung SP-A900B as all of these models will give you a HUGE step up in over all picture quality performance over the BenQ you have now. I would argue and I'm sure many won't agree, that all the models I've just mentioned will look better than the JVC line of projectors. I have owned a few JVCs and that's my personal take on the situation. I've seen a lot and I've came to the conclusion that if DLP is done right, it's definitely the best technology for front projection.


Just to thank you for your informative reply smile.gif... The projectors you list seem very hard to come by, but I will take your advice and keep a eye out for one of them. Would the Benq W2000 fit in to your recommendations? .

How come we dont see projectors made with a better or the same 0.95 optics anymore?.... Hard to believe I have to buy a 5+ year old projector to buy a valid upgrade.
jamieuk147 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 06-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Senior Member
 
soupdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Antrim - Northern Ireland
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You could wait for the Optoma HD91 to be released after the summer. Could quite possibly be a game changer for LED light source at reasonable money.

I had the BenQ W1070 in my room alongside my JVC and there is quite a gap in performance and price. The BenQ however is probably the best bang for buck projector I've seen - for the price is does a hell of a lot of things right. The extra cash just refines that image in each area. Better focus uniformity, less chromatic aberation (which wasn't great on my sample), better contrast, queiter operation, a wealth of extra features....naming just a few.
soupdragon is online now  
post #12 of 13 Old 06-03-2013, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jamieuk147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post

You could wait for the Optoma HD91 to be released after the summer. Could quite possibly be a game changer for LED light source at reasonable money.

I had the BenQ W1070 in my room alongside my JVC and there is quite a gap in performance and price. The BenQ however is probably the best bang for buck projector I've seen - for the price is does a hell of a lot of things right. The extra cash just refines that image in each area. Better focus uniformity, less chromatic aberation (which wasn't great on my sample), better contrast, queiter operation, a wealth of extra features....naming just a few.

Which JVC do you have? did you find the Benq a lot sharper?
jamieuk147 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,001
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 149
He was saying the opposite, he was saying his JVC appears to have better focus uniformity, and I can agree with that. The w1070 doesn't quite have the focus purity that the JVC's do, or even the w7000 (I'd say this is the one area where I think the w7000 beats the w1070). Still, can't say for sure since there can always be sample variance even with DLP. However, my w7000 and JVC RS-45 both have pretty much perfect focus uniformity, the w1070 I saw went out a tiny bit on the edges, but let me stress it was a SMALL amount and still I'd consider the w1070 sharper than other cheaper DLP's like the Mits hc4000 or Optoma hd33...

The Benq w1070 isn't really sharper than the JVC's overall, but depends on how good your DLP sample is vs. your JVC sample. Basically, the Benq can look sharper in movies due to pixel fill, but it's a bit more of an edgy look. The JVC is more paper natural sharp. In HTPC, even then it's close with probably the tiniest edge to the Benq, but really that's enhanced by a less-dense pixel fill. I used to prefer the JVC in HTPC over the Benq, now I'd say they are about the same after I got used to an edgier look.

I wouldn't use sharpness as a reason to pick any of these three projectors, the JVC or the Benqs, they are all too close.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off