IFA BERLIN 2013 : Gossip and live report from Germany - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 241 Old 07-21-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 484
JVC doesn't make its own e shift element and licenses and procures the element. To do e shifted 4K to make 8K he element would have to resolve 4K which would undoubtedly raise the cost. the processing power to do e shift 4K would have to increase by a factor of 4. There are other complications for handling normal 1080p content. My guess is that we will see a native 4HD panel from JVC and normal HD content would simply be upscaled to 4HD. JVC could offset the higher cost of the three 4K chips by eliminating the outside cost of the e shift element and the license fees.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 241 Old 07-21-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I can't imagine any realistic reason for JVC to produce a quasi-8K display for consumer-level home theater. The pixel visibility thing is already addressed at the 4K level, so what could e-shifted 8K possibly offer in any compelling way for the actual content we would watch? (Not to mention even real 8K, since there is no likelihood of 8K sources in any near future - 4K native sources are proving headache enough!)

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 241 Old 07-21-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I can't imagine any realistic reason for JVC to produce a quasi-8K display for consumer-level home theater. The pixel visibility thing is already addressed at the 4K level, so what could e-shifted 8K possibly offer in any compelling way for the actual content we would watch? (Not to mention even real 8K, since there is no likelihood of 8K sources in any near future - 4K native sources are proving headache enough!)

If it was inexpensive to implement, I'm sure jvc would not mind the extra sales. Its just upscaling. There's no 4K sources and they did 4k eshift for the past two years. Its a gimmick that would get them more sales
post #34 of 241 Old 07-21-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Implication is cheap. Implementation is a completely different issue. smile.gif

Mark Haflich

post #35 of 241 Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Implication is cheap. Implementation is a completely different issue. smile.gif

LOL, i didnt catch that
post #36 of 241 Old 07-21-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I would think they would do this for next fall but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens this fall

That would be 4K for the 56 and 48 replacement. No way you are going to find 4K for around 5K MSRP. Just not going to happen in my opinion.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #37 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

I can't imagine very many cases where there is a realistic reason to bring native 4K to home theater. It probably serves less than 5% of the entire HT community in any beneficial way. It is electronics manufacturers playing the numbers game and honestly I think it is going to bite them in the ass. I think 3D had far more of a chance to be successful in the market and we see how well that has done. I would be more than happy to scrap 4K entirely for more improvements to 1080p playback (better compression, higher bit depth, full DCi color gamut). So I think there is just as much realistic reason for JVC to play the numbers game with quasi 8K as there is for the average joe to have 4K 50" flat panels shoved down their throats.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #38 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I can't imagine very many cases where there is a realistic reason to bring native 4K to home theater. It probably serves less than 5% of the entire HT community in any beneficial way. It is electronics manufacturers playing the numbers game and honestly I think it is going to bite them in the ass. I think 3D had far more of a chance to be successful in the market and we see how well that has done. I would be more than happy to scrap 4K entirely for more improvements to 1080p playback (better compression, higher bit depth, full DCi color gamut). So I think there is just as much realistic reason for JVC to play the numbers game with quasi 8K as there is for the average joe to have 4K 50" flat panels shoved down their throats.

I agree.
Unless projectors can double or triple its zoom lens capibity there is not going to be much use for 4K in the home IMO.
First though it would sure be nice if someone could see 4k along with 4k material!!
post #39 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Would 4k projectors theoretically be able to do passive 3d in 1080p?

That would be a pretty big benefit (though I don't know if that's the case). Whoever can figure out 3d without glasses is going to be the real king.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #40 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I think we will see Red demonstrate a coming soon (insider joke) 4K reflective LVD projector with built in Redray player and (my guess) a laser stimulated phosphor light source, factory direct for arounsd $10 to $15K at Cedia. Coming soon meams maybe we will ship it within 6 months, maybe a few, quantity shipping within a year.

JVC will have a 4K projector in my opinion, for MSRP $12,000 and it will street for a lot lot less preorder.

There maybe 2 more 4K projector surprises But the lowest price 4K machine will still cost street price $7 to $8K.

Mark - do you think these newer 4K machines will also offer higher lumens than their 1080p counterparts? In my case, the only way I can justify 4K and feel I was getting a noticeable benefit would be if I significantly increase my screen size. But in order to do that I'd want those extra lumens. Thanks.
post #41 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

Would 4k projectors theoretically be able to do passive 3d in 1080p?

That would be a pretty big benefit (though I don't know if that's the case). Whoever can figure out 3d without glasses is going to be the real king.

It's not that hard to do 1080p passive 3D with one or two 1080p projectors. The problem is on the screen end with keeping the polarization (polarizing 3D) . Screens that retain polarization have several drawbacks such as severe hotspotting, sparklies and narrow viewing cones and are thus compromising both the 2D and 3D IQ. A 4K projector will unfortunately not bring anything new to the table with respect to passive 3D. A Dolby 3D passive system on the other hand would be neat. Don't know why no simple "Dolby" system is available for the home? (Built in color wheel and CMS for right/left eye)

Edit: Just to clarify: passive 3D is not glasses free 3D, it's glasses that are not actively switching between left and right eye.
post #42 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Mark - do you think these newer 4K machines will also offer higher lumens than their 1080p counterparts? In my case, the only way I can justify 4K and feel I was getting a noticeable benefit would be if I significantly increase my screen size. But in order to do that I'd want those extra lumens. Thanks.

We both know resolution is independent of the light source. You are thus asking me if I think the HT class projectors that will be introduced this fall will be higher lumens machines than the present let's call them 1000 class machines. There is indeed a reason why this is desirable considering the need for a screen at least 10 ft wide to fully appreciate the benefits of 4K and how increased lumens can reduce the need for positive gain screens and their destructive effect on image quality.

Unfortunately, I think most 4k consumer class machines will have the lumens out we currently are experiencing with 1080p machines. Boosting up the lumens essentially requires multiple bulbs or an alternative light source such as the laser ignited white light emitting phosphor available to the projector manufacturers now. Althou we don't know the calibrated lumens out possible, my guess is that 3000 should be doable. My guess is that Red which has long promised a laser lit 4K projector, will demo one at Cedia for delivery early next year that will keep its laser lit promise even though I think most consider a laser projector to be one using modulated laser light.

Mark Haflich

post #43 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

My guess is that Red which has long promised a laser lit 4K projector, will demo one at Cedia for delivery early next year that will keep its laser lit promise even though I think most consider a laser projector to be one using modulated laser light.

Ever seen the movie Groundhog Day smile.gif
post #44 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Because of the unavailability of HDMI 2.0 chips in quantity until sometime in 2014, there will be lots of delays in new models with it isn't our fault.

Mark Haflich

post #45 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:

I agree with everything there, except for the conclusion that it would make sense for JVC to play the quasi-8K numbers game.

It makes sense for JVC to have tried to introduce a "me-too" 4K display, in order to appear to be not that behind the ball (e.g. from Sony's projector) and acknowledge that there is a direction to 4K. So even getting a 4K-lite version was their acknowledgement that they need to be on that train. And as we've seen, the 4K train is leaving the station big time, it's being pushed, becoming more well known, expectations are building, and it's all this is known under the term "4K."

But there is no similar "8K* train to board. It has, for any practical near-future purpose, no one producing such content or displays. Nothing to really have to compete with there. And no name recognition like 4K, and virtually no one in the film production, distribution, film presentation, or most importantly consumer end electronics industry, pushing 8K recognition or viability. Even with no 4K source material, the 4K displays could at least boast of having done away with pixel coarseness or visibility at very large viewing angles. 8K can't argue it
adds anything in the same regard that isn't taken care of by 4K.

So 8K simply does not have the engineering/marketing impetus behind it like 4K has at this point. Why waste engineering time and materials on producing something for which there is no demand? And for which you can't make a compelling case to the consumer, even enthusiasts like us, and which is more likely to cause resentment or confusion for introducing what seems like another format when the 4K one is just trying to be established? JVC, like any other display producing company wanting to ride 4K, would only risk adding confusion into the mix for no good reason "8K? What's that? You mean all the 4K stuff you are trying to sell me as the new format isn't actually good enough, and 8K is the next format?"

Etc.

Just doesn't make any realistic sense.

Rich H

post #46 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

It's not that hard to do 1080p passive 3D with one or two 1080p projectors. The problem is on the screen end with keeping the polarization (polarizing 3D) . Screens that retain polarization have several drawbacks such as severe hotspotting, sparklies and narrow viewing cones and are thus compromising both the 2D and 3D IQ. A 4K projector will unfortunately not bring anything new to the table with respect to passive 3D. A Dolby 3D passive system on the other hand would be neat. Don't know why no simple "Dolby" system is available for the home? (Built in color wheel and CMS for right/left eye)

Edit: Just to clarify: passive 3D is not glasses free 3D, it's glasses that are not actively switching between left and right eye.

Yeah I realize the difference between passive and no glasses. I just mean in general, that is the real key. Passive goes a long way towards it though, since wearing the glasses is bad enough. But sync issues, battery charging, and cost make active 3d kind of a pain for a lot of people. Passive is a huge step up. No glasses is the ultimate.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #47 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

That would be 4K for the 56 and 48 replacement. No way you are going to find 4K for around 5K MSRP. Just not going to happen in my opinion.

It will after 6~7 years. cool.gif

[]s,
Fernando
post #48 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Mike,

The RS56 is MSRP of $7995 so using your best guess do you think this year's equivalent replacement of it will be native 4K or do you think only the very top model will be the only native 4K JVC? I was hoping the top 2 JVC models this year would be native 4K with everything below them being 1080p e-shift. I know it's just speculation at this point but one can dream. wink.gif

Thanks,
Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #49 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Mike,

The RS56 is MSRP of $7995 so using your best guess do you think this year's equivalent replacement of it will be native 4K or do you think only the very top model will be the only native 4K JVC? I was hoping the top 2 JVC models this year would be native 4K with everything below them being 1080p e-shift. I know it's just speculation at this point but one can dream. wink.gif

Thanks,
Mike

Im guessing this year top model and next year mid and top. But if they do have both native 4k models, it would be hard to wait for next years models with the new standard
post #50 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Im guessing this year top model and next year mid and top. But if they do have both native 4k models, it would be hard to wait for next years models with the new standard

Yeah, if the RS56 replacement is 4K that will probably be my next projector but I'm not holding my breath as I could see just the top model being 4K.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #51 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
i got no interest in 4k when there is no content unless you buy an lg or sony tv, but even still not much out there for a while. Plus time warner said they won't increase their internet speeds for 4k because there is no demand so streaming 4k is a LONG ways off and I don't buy discs

post #52 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

i got no interest in 4k when there is no content unless you buy an lg or sony tv, but even still not much out there for a while. Plus time warner said they won't increase their internet speeds for 4k because there is no demand so streaming 4k is a LONG ways off and I don't buy discs

I got interest in the upscaling. Even tho the eshift models upscales to 4K, I would like to see how a native 4K performs
post #53 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Will be most interesting to see if JVC can up the lumen output of a new 4K pj to be near (or better) than the Sony1000.
post #54 of 241 Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
post #55 of 241 Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The article said under $9999 E not dollars.

Mark Haflich

post #56 of 241 Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

I would be more than happy to scrap 4K entirely for more improvements to 1080p playback (better compression, higher bit depth, full DCi color gamut).

Well the ITU-R BT.2020 only defines 10 and 12 bit coding and a relatively much wider gamut than ITU-R BT.709 biggrin.gif
http://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bt/R-REC-BT.2020-0-201208-I!!PDF-E.pdf

BT.709:

BT.2020:

(assuming whoever uploaded these to wikipedia did them right)

It also defines 8k wink.gif

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #57 of 241 Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I got interest in the upscaling. Even tho the eshift models upscales to 4K, I would like to see how a native 4K performs

true, but I won't pay that price increase for an upscaler though.

post #58 of 241 Old 07-24-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

true, but I won't pay that price increase for an upscaler though.

It will play actual 4K content also, not only an upscaler
post #59 of 241 Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

Just doesn't make any realistic sense.

For home theater in general this last sentence here could be applied against a mutitude of audio and video "magic", modes, tricks and more. It certainly applies to 4K for about 99% of all installations in home theaters (if not more). The last thing I'm trying to say is that JVC doing quasi 8K makes sense. Most of the crap we see delivered to the masses (480 Hz refresh rates, most picture modes, DIVX) don't make any realistic sense. Take for example Sony's recent and well documented here in the forum move with their 4K server/player and its inability to support their flagship 4K projector that from day one was advertised (as its claim to fame no less) as being the only consumer projector to play NATIVE 4K content yet when they bring that content to the market it doesn't work with the projector!! Sure they may or may not have a fix for that, but does it make realistic sense that it ever was an issue in the first place? Realistic sense has no place in the A/V marketing world. Never has really.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #60 of 241 Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Mike,

Thanks,
Mike

I am guessing only the RS66 replacement will be 4K. I don't see any way possible that the RS56 replacement will be 4K. I am talking about the replacements coming this winter.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Acer , Epson , Jvc , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page