Decent upgrade from W1070 to a HW50ES for gaming and movies? - AVS Forum
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Decent upgrade from W1070 to a HW50ES for gaming and movies?
jamieuk147's Avatar jamieuk147 02:09 PM 06-17-2013
I just fancy a upgrade from my W1070 as I have two of them and wanting something better for movies etc!.. Seems with gaming lag the only route to go is with the HW50ES as Epson and JVC dont do to well.

Would this be a decent upgrade with overall picture quality? I would be throwing a darbee in the mix as well

smile.gif

blee0120's Avatar blee0120 02:22 PM 06-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

I just fancy a upgrade from my W1070 as I have two of them and wanting something better for movies etc!.. Seems with gaming lag the only route to go is with the HW50ES as Epson and JVC dont do to well.

Would this be a decent upgrade with overall picture quality? I would be throwing a darbee in the mix as well

smile.gif

For movies, it would be a good upgrade
jbn008's Avatar jbn008 02:32 PM 06-17-2013
I have a Sony VPL-VW95 for sale, which is just as good for gaming, but better blacks and has been professionally calibrated. The HW50 will be brighter, but the Sony is plenty bright for my 138" 1.1 gain screen.
blee0120's Avatar blee0120 02:34 PM 06-17-2013
The 95 would be better
jamieuk147's Avatar jamieuk147 02:50 PM 06-17-2013
95 would be better am sure!! but lots more money and the one listed here is USA with no UK warranty I think.

I like the idea of reality creation on the sony, is this know to work well with a darbee?...... Am I right in thinking Epson dont have any feature like RC or e-shift yet?
Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108 03:45 PM 06-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

95 would be better am sure!! but lots more money and the one listed here is USA with no UK warranty I think.

I like the idea of reality creation on the sony, is this know to work well with a darbee?...... Am I right in thinking Epson dont have any feature like RC or e-shift yet?

I went to a home theater meet a few months ago and the house we were at had a Sony VPL-HW50ES and a Darblet as the video source. All five of us preferred the RC turned off and only the Darblet doing any sharpening. The owner now only uses the Darblet. RC, even at its lowest setting, gives the image a grainy over-processed look on most content.
jamieuk147's Avatar jamieuk147 04:21 PM 06-17-2013
Hey thanks for your input. Is the Epson 9100 something consider as well compared to the Sony?
Adamd's Avatar Adamd 04:28 PM 06-17-2013
I went from the w1070 to the hw50 and I couldn't be happier. The contrast on the Sony is much better. If you into gaming the hw50 is your best best. Most jvc and epson projectors have high input lag.
Adamd's Avatar Adamd 04:31 PM 06-17-2013
And FYI vw95 has 45ms input lag and the hw50 has 30ms.
jamieuk147's Avatar jamieuk147 04:42 PM 06-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

And FYI vw95 has 45ms input lag and the hw50 has 30ms.

Hi thanks!! what your take on the reality creation feature do you use it? ....... Do you have a darbee?

smile.gif
Adamd's Avatar Adamd 04:55 PM 06-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

Hi thanks!! what your take on the reality creation feature do you use it? ....... Do you have a darbee?

smile.gif

I don't own a darbee but I love RC as long as you don't over use it. The setting is 0-100 and I usually use around 30 to 40 depending on the movie. I would not buy another sony unless it had it.
coderguy's Avatar coderguy 06:45 PM 06-17-2013
Any projector can have RC, it's called adding a Sony BDP-s790...
Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108 07:16 PM 06-17-2013
From my personal take, if your projector doesn't have RC already, you're better off getting a Darblet instead. It does it's job more subtly and gives cleaner results.
smbsocal's Avatar smbsocal 08:33 AM 06-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I went to a home theater meet a few months ago and the house we were at had a Sony VPL-HW50ES and a Darblet as the video source. All five of us preferred the RC turned off and only the Darblet doing any sharpening. The owner now only uses the Darblet. RC, even at its lowest setting, gives the image a grainy over-processed look on most content.

I have both the HW50ES and Darblet. If the source material is great quality I will use both and have them turned up higher. When the source material is poor either of these can produce some poor results. To me the Darblet is more prone to producing a poor image from a bad source when compared to RC. I normally will use RC turned down and the Darblet disabled when viewing poor source material. With great source material when using both the results are incredible and 3D content is brought to a whole new level. Just my 2 cents / opinion on the topic.
jbn008's Avatar jbn008 08:58 AM 06-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

And FYI vw95 has 45ms input lag and the hw50 has 30ms.

the vw95 has a gaming mode as well which has been measured at 16ms
Adamd's Avatar Adamd 04:04 PM 06-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post

the vw95 has a gaming mode as well which has been measured at 16ms

I've also read of 16ms of input lag for the hw50 on some reviews, I guess it depends on how they are testing for lag.
jamieuk147's Avatar jamieuk147 11:36 AM 06-19-2013
As I really do love DLP and I can seem to get much cheaper!!.............. Hows about any of these as a huge step up in black level and overall quality from my W1070

Infocus IN83

Infocus SP8602

?????????????? smile.gif
Seegs108's Avatar Seegs108 02:56 PM 06-19-2013
I'd take the Sony VPL-HW50ES over either of those models. I've owned the InFocus IN83 and it isn't really all that nice in comparison. Black level is okay as long as you're closing the iris down close to all the way. Sharpness for a .95" DLP DMD just isn't there in comparison to other similarly priced .95" DLP DMD projectors that were out at the time. Another issue is that there is no lens shift and there is a default offset of 36% off axis, so it has to be mounted perfectly for it work. I also found an odd alaising issue with the IN81, IN82, IN83 line of projectors. Its has to do with an software oversharpening of the picture that can't be completely eliminated. It resulted in visible ( easily noticeable) aliasing with any sort of vertical and/or horizontal lines in the picture. An example would be the beginning shot of The Dark Knight. As the camera moves closer to the building all the vertical edges of the building and windows would alias and product a rather annoying and strong artifact.

The SP8602 has a clunky dynamic iris and is the only way for it to achieve decent contrast. So you'd have to live with pumping issues with that particular model. It also uses the smaller DMD and retails for less. You can expect sharpness to be avergae for it's price point. I've actually found that the newer JVC models are just as sharp looking as all the .65" DLP DMD projectors I've seen, which is a shame because that used to be something DLP has in it's back pocket. Though, they still can't match most .95" DMD DLP projector for sharpness. The IN83 is still a small step up over the JVC models, but not as much as basically the rest of the larger DMD DLP models.
jamieuk147's Avatar jamieuk147 04:20 PM 06-20-2013
My next problem is I only have a throw of 13ft and my screen is 134" .... am I going to have to border my screen to fit most LCOS projectors. Now looking at the mits HC5
Tags: Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Up
Mobile  Desktop