Suggestions on projectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on projectors for my home theater room currently being built. The requirements are as follows:

-Theater room is completely blacked out in basement with now windows and closed doors
-Ideal Throw distance for projector ceiling mount is 17.6'
- I really want this to be focused on cinescope 2.35:1 as I mainly watch movies, so projectors with lens memories is a big bonus as I don't want to go with a lens just yet.
- Ideal price is between $3-5K
- Current planned screen dimensions are 11' wide by 4.68' tall
- I plan on upgrading in the future when 4K becomes more mainstream.

I"m not sure what other details you need so let me know if I'm lacking information.

Thanks in advanced!

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-17-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 218
The only issue is finding a projector that meets the lens memory requirement AND one that is bright enough to fill a screen that large. Lens memory projectors are still rather rare and most of them aren't very bright, especially in your price range. If you go with a high enough gain with your screen material a JVC DLA-RS4810 is fantastic choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

The only issue is finding a projector that meets the lens memory requirement AND one that is bright enough to fill a screen that large. Lens memory projectors are still rather rare and most of them aren't very bright, especially in your price range. If you go with a high enough gain with your screen material a JVC DLA-RS4810 is fantastic choice.

So if I went with a projector that did not have Lens memory would my options be much better? Is there suggestions for a less painful manual adjusting lens that works fine with a 1.0 screen?

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I should mention that the screen material needs to be acoustic transparent. My center channel is right behind it. I think this requires me to have a unity 1.0 gain. Correct me if I'm wrong.

From responses I'm getting and some PM's I've been receiving it seems my screen MIGHT be too big to get the right about of light as most suggestions say to get a higher gain screen. If I was to reduce my screen size would this be better? If so how much?

I'm still trying to learn all the trade offs so thanks for being patient and helping me learn.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Yes the smaller the screen the more reflected light you get back off the surface. The light is measured in Foot Lamberts and there is a calculator here
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

When you find a projector you are interested in use the calculator to and you can adjust the size of the screen up and down and the fl output will change with the screen size. This is also helpful to know if the chosen projector will work within the distance you want top install it. Take some time to play with this application to understand all the thing you can alter and what it shows you.

That will help you see the difference between different projectors and screen sizes. AT screen is typically what they call a utility gain which is 1.
With AT screen you need to be fairly far from the screen 12-14' to not see the weave unless you buy the most expensive fabric out there.. think it is call 4K something or another, but very expensive.
Here is a screen fabric report done by a calibrator on the forum. AT fabric is the second section but the heading was copied and pasted without changing it. It shows min seating distance, audio quality and color neutrality as well as other things..
http://accucalhd.com/documents/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

There is lots to know and lots of compromises to make unless you have bottomless pockets!

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page