SONY VPL-HW55ES : New SXRD Model from SONY IFA BERLIN 2013 - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 398 Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got an email from projector people yesterday, Mid February possibly march delivery, What? Ugh!

My sono build

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 398 Old 01-19-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
I'm really keen to hear about the experience folks have with the "upgrade" to RF 3D eyewear. The issue here is all about image quality as I'll be sitting close enough that the IR transmitter will reach without losing sync... what I'm really interested in is the best eyewear to get the best (least ghosting/flicker) image possible out out of the 55ES as this is the projector I'm planning to install in my HT room after rennovation work is complete.

your impressions would be apprecated!

dave smile.gif

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #393 of 398 Old 01-20-2014, 08:04 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

I'm really keen to hear about the experience folks have with the "upgrade" to RF 3D eyewear. The issue here is all about image quality as I'll be sitting close enough that the IR transmitter will reach without losing sync... what I'm really interested in is the best eyewear to get the best (least ghosting/flicker) image possible out out of the 55ES as this is the projector I'm planning to install in my HT room after rennovation work is complete.

your impressions would be apprecated!

dave smile.gif

I bought the Optoma (Monstervision) RF glasses/transmitter. Glad I did - it's a brighter image, no loss of sync, and the transmitter tweaking options meant I've pretty-much eliminated crosstalk. (there's a very occasional, slight ghosting with high contrast images, only if I look for it).

They're also a lot more comfortable than the bundled IR glasses - which were like slow torture when I watched a film for more than 90 minutes.

post #394 of 398 Old 01-20-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Thanks. Works without issue with the sony 55? Can you reveal the cost? Does that RF emitter work with Full HD 3D compatible eyewear?

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #395 of 398 Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Thanks. Works without issue with the sony 55? Can you reveal the cost? Does that RF emitter work with Full HD 3D compatible eyewear?

Essentially, I got the European version of this...

http://www.amazon.com/MonsterVision-Eyewear-System-Active-Sync/dp/B004443WRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390292755&sr=8-1&keywords=monstervision+3d

The transmitter plugs straight into the HW55es, using an extra cable that came with the projector.

post #396 of 398 Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anidabi View Post

I've tested the zoom of hw50es projector and I can say the sony official projector calculator and the projector central pj calculator are both wrong when it comes to simulating pj distance and screen size. I guess there is some overhead for people who don't want to use the zoom at max. PJ central pj calculator is less wrong than the sony official.

In my setup, distance between pj lens and screen is 315cm. According to pj calculators I should get only 102.5" inc picture. I had the pj already in place and I cranked the zoom to max and I got 105-106" picture. To be exact WxH 234cm x 133cm. And for the record, no picture degradation what so ever with max zoom. So I went to shop and bought 105" forex foam pvc board and painted it with black widow paint.

Ok, so using the logic above - if the ratio at max zoom is fixed you should be able to calculate max screen size (diagonal) by multiplying the distance to screen (in feet) by 10.19 (which i derived from 105 (screen size)/distance of OP above (10.3). So for my throw distance of 13 feet, i should be able to get about a 132 inch screen correct? Am i thinking about that the right way?
post #397 of 398 Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 AM

Liked: 10

Hey,

I got the HW55es the other day and I love the picture quality and depth /contrast.

I have one issue though,

The first thing i plugged into it was my blueray, it was Djagno Unchained @ 24 f/ps and the motion was slightly juddery - someone in the room pointed it out!.

I could then see it in quite a few places.

We then watched Eragon on Sky HD and it seemed that when the character moved vertically on the screen a digital judder would appear where the character and his hair would skip a few frames or some kind of digital catch up was taking place.

I was very worried for a while and then I found "Film mode" on the Expert settings on the projector picture menu and in some circumstances it sorted out the problem. I believe this setting adjusts how the projector deals with different video modes such as 24p, 2;3 pull down and progressive etc. (my knowledge mostly stops there)

Anyway, I put this setting onto "Auto2" which seems to be ok for the majority. I've moved from a DLP projector, is there a known issue with motion on DILA projectors and has me setting film mode to "Auto2" or ""off" meant that I'm sacrificing original image motion quality? Is there an inherent problem dealing with 24p. could i be doing something wrong ?

I've tried the motionflow feature and I would not be interested in using that as it looks so artificial.

I really appreciate your support with this.

Kind Regards,
Allan

post #398 of 398 Old 04-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Liked: 12
For those owners of this projector I would like to ask did you compare this with the Epson 6030? If so, why did you go with the Sony? Thanks
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page