Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do spare OEM JVC Projectopr Lamps have a shelf life? confused.gif

Is it OK to purchase a spare OEM JVC projector lamp for a JVC RS46 projector if you are not going to use it right away or should you wait until you actually need it?

...Glenn smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 129
What I've always heard/been told is that you want to use a lamp right away to make sure it's not DOA, or defective since lamps usually only have a short, eg 90 day, warranty (I'm speaking in generalities here not specifics to any brand). On the other hand lamps don't have a shelf life, or wear out when not in use so they can be stored indefinitely.

Thus good practice is to use the new lamp right away and keep the older working lamp as a backup. That way you make sure the new one works, while having a "known good" lamp as a backup.

Even if JVC's warranty is better (I haven't followed) I'd think you still might want to use the new one right away so you get the most warranty coverage out of it rather than running your old lamp which is likely out of, or closer to out of warranty.

Other option is to try the new lamp, and after you're sure it works, swap them back.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

What I've always heard/been told is that you want to use a lamp right away to make sure it's not DOA, or defective since lamps usually only have a short, eg 90 day, warranty (I'm speaking in generalities here not specifics to any brand). On the other hand lamps don't have a shelf life, or wear out when not in use so they can be stored indefinitely.

Thus good practice is to use the new lamp right away and keep the older working lamp as a backup. That way you make sure the new one works, while having a "known good" lamp as a backup.

Even if JVC's warranty is better (I haven't followed) I'd think you still might want to use the new one right away so you get the most warranty coverage out of it rather than running your old lamp which is likely out of, or closer to out of warranty.

Other option is to try the new lamp, and after you're sure it works, swap them back.

GREAT points stanger! biggrin.gif

Thank you very much!

...Glenn smile.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
yep

run your brand new lamp that came with the projector. order your new lamp around 950 hours on original lamp. take original lamp out when warrenty is up (mine is 1000 hours) the original lamp becomes the back up lamp for all others if it is still good and bright. place oem lamp in projector and run it till it dies or runs dim. then order another lamp, and so on and so on.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

yep

run your brand new lamp that came with the projector. order your new lamp around 950 hours on original lamp. take original lamp out when warrenty is up (mine is 1000 hours) the original lamp becomes the back up lamp for all others if it is still good and bright. place oem lamp in projector and run it till it dies or runs dim. then order another lamp, and so on and so on.

The new JVC's are 1,000 hours or one year. With most people the one year will come first.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
2 weeks with mine at 70 hours. I am on pace for 1500 hrs. a year.biggrin.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version