New projectors, trying to help a friend with an Epson 9700 UB that has a hot spot - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I think based on the MSRP of the Epson 9700 UB this may be the right place to be asking this question. My friend just bought a house that has an Epson 9700 UB mounted on the ceiling projecting onto a DA LITE screen about 18 feet away. There is a VERY noticeable hot spot about 2/3 the way up the screen when sitting in front of the screen. The spot moves as you move throughout the room. Based on what I have read online, I have tried turning down the brightness, but the hotspot still persists. So I guess my question is, this seems to be high end stuff, is it just mounted the wrong distance or angle from the screen? I think the projector is relatively new, but I guess there could be a problem with the projector too. I don't know the model of the screen, but it is kind of gray when it is turned off.

We would appreciate any ideas you have. I think he's going to call the local AV company in Ann Arbor and let them advise him, but I'd at least like to hear your thoughts before they try to go crazy with redoing the whole system.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
In the projectors menu system, choose movie/cinema, if has an iris set it to closed or high contrast, set lamp to low/eco, set brightness and contrast to 0 (these should be set with a calibration disk but start with 0.)
Is the spot gone? If not try tuning down contrast not brightness. Contrast changes how bright the projector is, brightness changes the black levels)
Still there? Hang a white sheet over the screen. Still there? Problem is with the projector. If not then screen fabric is not correct for this projector. Find out what screen fabric you have would be helpful.
Good luck
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for the reply! i've just sent this on to my friend and will update you with the results after he has tried it.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Hotspotting originates from the screen, not the pj. Moving the pj back and increasing viewing distance reduces hotspotting. If you cant do this to satisfaction, change screen material to either a retroreflective screen or a screen with a lower gain. Good luck!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-30-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield33 View Post

Hello all, I think based on the MSRP of the Epson 9700 UB this may be the right place to be asking this question. My friend just bought a house that has an Epson 9700 UB mounted on the ceiling projecting onto a DA LITE screen about 18 feet away. There is a VERY noticeable hot spot about 2/3 the way up the screen when sitting in front of the screen. The spot moves as you move throughout the room. Based on what I have read online, I have tried turning down the brightness, but the hotspot still persists. So I guess my question is, this seems to be high end stuff, is it just mounted the wrong distance or angle from the screen? I think the projector is relatively new, but I guess there could be a problem with the projector too. I don't know the model of the screen, but it is kind of gray when it is turned off.

We would appreciate any ideas you have. I think he's going to call the local AV company in Ann Arbor and let them advise him, but I'd at least like to hear your thoughts before they try to go crazy with redoing the whole system.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

Hotspotting originates from the screen, not the pj. Moving the pj back and increasing viewing distance reduces hotspotting. If you cant do this to satisfaction, change screen material to either a retroreflective screen or a screen with a lower gain. Good luck!

Correct that what is being described is an issue with the screen material. Some higher gain screen materials may produce a bright image overall but tend to have hot spotting issues. As suggested moving the projector further away from the screen may help some, but based on what you describe it appears the only solution is to change out the screen. It is mentioned that it is a Dalite screen. Do you have the specific model name/number and the specific fabric it is equipped with? If it is a fixed frame screen, rather than an roll-down or drop down model, then you could get replacement screen material (i.e., a different one that does not have hot spotting issues) from Dalite to fit the existing frame.
renfield33 likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

i don't know the name of the screen material, but i have a feeling it is a high gain material. it is grey, and has some sort of coating on it.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-07-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

well, it is definitely the screen material. my thought is since this is the second projector in this setup, the old one was dimmer, and needed a higher gain screen. now that this one is pretty bright, it is just over the top. @airscapes thank you for the white sheet idea, the projector looks fine with that... so that was the thing that helped us most!

post #8 of 8 Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield33 View Post

well, it is definitely the screen material. my thought is since this is the second projector in this setup, the old one was dimmer, and needed a higher gain screen. now that this one is pretty bright, it is just over the top. @airscapes thank you for the white sheet idea, the projector looks fine with that... so that was the thing that helped us most!

Now do a forum search for ND filter (Neutral Density) these are inexpensive and can fix your problem. They are like sunglasses for you lens. Once the lamp dims as it gets old, you can remove the filter and keep going. Much less expensive than replacing a screen. The come in different levels so you may want to try a couple different values to find what works. If it still hot spots, no major loss and you can still use them with a new screen if needed..
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 9700ub Projector 3lcd 3 Chip Technology
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page