Resale Value of Projector?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at purchasing my first projector, the Sony VPL-HW50ES, and I'm wondering how the resale value of a projector is after a few years? It seems that most big screen tv's lose much of their value quickly, is this similar with projectors?

Just wondering how much of a hit I would take if I upgraded in a few years, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-01-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
It's going to be iffy. Mostly because 4K is looming and will probably break the $5000 mark in a few years. I'd make a wager most under $10000 1080p projectors on sale today will be selling for 1500 and less no matter the model. Take a look a uber expensive Marantz and Sim2 720p models of yesteryear selling for $400 and less.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Only way to get some resale value is to upgrade every year. Don t expect to sell a hw50 for 1500 in 5 years. Maybe 750 but that s about it. Don t buy with resale in mind
post #4 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Only way to get some resale value is to upgrade every year. Don t expect to sell a hw50 for 1500 in 5 years. Maybe 750 but that s about it. Don t buy with resale in mind
post #5 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2sp View Post

I'm looking at purchasing my first projector, the Sony VPL-HW50ES, and I'm wondering how the resale value of a projector is after a few years? It seems that most big screen tv's lose much of their value quickly, is this similar with projectors?

Just wondering how much of a hit I would take if I upgraded in a few years, thanks!

How big a hit? Bigger than any punching bag in a gym would ever receive!

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #6 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

It might be different where you are, but even this doesn't seem to work in the UK. I once lost 33% in three months when I sold a Panasonic AE3000 (back when they'd just come out). I got just over 20% back for my 4 year old JVC HD350 last December and I doubt I'd get more than 60% if I tried to sell my X35 now (since people are already talking about what the new models might bring rolleyes.gif).

Basically I now buy a projector taking the view that the money is written off regardless of what might happen in my life I don't expect to get the money back should I need to sell it. Funny that my A lens is probably still worth what I paid for it (though it was used when I bought it anyway).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #7 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I think if you get a golden sample (and can prove it) on a sought after model, it can help a bit with the resale. I had some outrageous offers for my RS55 that I probably should have taken. biggrin.gif

typically though, the value plummets after a while where it's not even worth selling. I'd sooner give an older model to a friend or relative than a quick fire sale for pocket change.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I got more from my MBP than projectors. As they say, it's "sunk" cost.

Sony somehow has a slightly higher resale value than JVC from LCoS perspective. I did not lose my shirts when unloading HW10, HW15, HW20, VW50, VW60 or VW85.

Sanderdvd is right if you could afford to upgrade every year.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 11:34 AM

Liked: 18
I have been through 4 pjs in the last year or so (its a hobby, or a sickness if you ask my wife) and I have taken a loss on each one of course. To justify the costs to my wife though, i use the cost per entertainment hour metric, and have found it to be quite effective.

Basically if you take all the money ive spent on my pj upgrades and divide it by all the hours my wife and have spent enjoying them, it works out to around a buck an hour, which is more digestible, even reasonable one may argue (and i do). When you then compare these costs to going to the theater or taking part in any other activity for that matter, you have yourself a solid business case provided you enjoy your pj as much as we do.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page