E-shift ............ Darbee.......... RC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you had to choose just one, which would you choose and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Darbee because it isn't proprietary to one technology. You can use it with any display device. It does a better job than RC and gives more natural looking results. E-Shift isn't doing quite the same thing RC and what the Darblet is doing. But its also something proprietary and only works well if your unit has good convergence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My reason of asking is, I have a darbee and wanting a decent projector for 2D as all ready got a W1070 that does good for 3D. I cant help but feel E-shift is the best and closest to 4K with a clearer picture. Am struggling for money and trying to talk myself out of buying a JVC RS55 and buy the Mits HC5 instead and hook up to my darbee

If lots of votes for E-shift will probably make me go for a JVC over something else.

smile.gif
post #4 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Like I said, e-shift is only going to be great if your convergence is fantastic. There are several reports that e-shift doesn't work all that well without that requirement being met. As the convergence gets better the more apparent the e-shift benefit is going to be. So this is one of those scenarios where you'd want to view the unit before buying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 635
What do you mean by "convergence"? Stacking two projectors and making sure the image is perfectly aligned on the screen?
post #6 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

My reason of asking is, I have a darbee and wanting a decent projector for 2D as all ready got a W1070 that does good for 3D. I cant help but feel E-shift is the best and closest to 4K with a clearer picture. Am struggling for money and trying to talk myself out of buying a JVC RS55 and buy the Mits HC5 instead and hook up to my darbee

If lots of votes for E-shift will probably make me go for a JVC over something else.

smile.gif

What size screen are you using? how far will you be sitting?

another option is the RS46. it's more expensive than the HC5 but it has better color gamut out of the box and will appear a bit sharper than the HC5.

The main strength of the e-shift is the increase in pixel density. This is rarely discussed in reviews of the JVC's that have the e-shift feature. There is more going on here than just eliminating pixel structure like Panasonic's 'smoothscreen' (which I find awful in just about every way).

The increase in pixel density also creates a perception of increased contrast. Details in hair and facial features become more obvious without looking artificial like reality creation can do on occasion. I've tried to capture it in photos, but it's very difficult to get it accurate. I sit only 14 feet from my 142" and keep the e-shift on all the time. I turn it 'off' once in a while just to remind myself why I like it.

e-shift is likely here to stay for JVC, I'm picturing a 4K model down the road with 8K e-shift like they did with an industrial model that was released this year.

If you're interested, one of the most trusted resources in this hobby (Cine4home) has a good breakdown of how it works and why it works so well.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/JVC_X-Serie/X70_Preview.htm

post #7 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

What do you mean by "convergence"? Stacking two projectors and making sure the image is perfectly aligned on the screen?

Not in this context. I'm talking about any 3 chip projector, like the JVCs. The RGB panels need to be aligned properly so the light going through the prism and lens leaving the projector and hitting your screen is also aligned. Without good convergence you lose image sharpness and e-shift doesn't work particularly well. Here is an example of an RS55 with bad convergence taken from the RS55 owners thread:

post #8 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

that looks like e-shift is on. they should turn it off and adjust the settings, that looks like it can adjusted.

imo, focus uniformity is just as important for e-shift to looks it's best. I calibrated an RS4810 with good convergence but average focus uniformity and the e-shift was not very impressive compared to my 55.

post #9 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, this is why I think if you're going to be dropping quite a bit of money on any 3-chip device I'd highly recommend buying new so you have an exchange option or viewing the unit in personif it's a used unit to make sure things are up to snuff.

post #10 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

What size screen are you using? how far will you be sitting?

another option is the RS46. it's more expensive than the HC5 but it has better color gamut out of the box and will appear a bit sharper than the HC5.

The main strength of the e-shift is the increase in pixel density. This is rarely discussed in reviews of the JVC's that have the e-shift feature. There is more going on here than just eliminating pixel structure like Panasonic's 'smoothscreen' (which I find awful in just about every way).

The increase in pixel density also creates a perception of increased contrast. Details in hair and facial features become more obvious without looking artificial like reality creation can do on occasion. I've tried to capture it in photos, but it's very difficult to get it accurate. I sit only 14 feet from my 142" and keep the e-shift on all the time. I turn it 'off' once in a while just to remind myself why I like it.

e-shift is likely here to stay for JVC, I'm picturing a 4K model down the road with 8K e-shift like they did with an industrial model that was released this year.

If you're interested, one of the most trusted resources in this hobby (Cine4home) has a good breakdown of how it works and why it works so well.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/JVC_X-Serie/X70_Preview.htm

134" @ 13ft with a HD lens to boost image by 25%
post #11 of 34 Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Like I said, e-shift is only going to be great if your convergence is fantastic. There are several reports that e-shift doesn't work all that well without that requirement being met. As the convergence gets better the more apparent the e-shift benefit is going to be. So this is one of those scenarios where you'd want to view the unit before buying.

Hi Dylan,

Can you provide links to these reports please? I am currently looking at the JVCs and have been looking for info about e-shift.

From what I have seen so far, JVC is the only manufacturer that actually increases pixel density (aside from true 4k). They then supposedly use several methods to decide how to interpolate. Some interesting reading at http://www.cine4home.de/ first article on the 'know how' tab (and you will need to use google translate it if you don't read German).
post #12 of 34 Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

By reports I mean from calibrators and reviewers here on the forum. I would contact Zombie10k if you want a more indepth explanation.

post #13 of 34 Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher191 View Post

From what I have seen so far, JVC is the only manufacturer that actually increases pixel density (aside from true 4k). They then supposedly use several methods to decide how to interpolate. Some interesting reading at http://www.cine4home.de/ first article on the 'know how' tab (and you will need to use google translate it if you don't read German).

hi, if you click on the link in my signature, I took a close-up look at the e-shift process + darbee as well. it's difficult to photograph, but you'll get the basic idea. Cine4home is one of the few reviewers than explains exactly what is happening. Some reviewers were using small screens with far seating arrangements and quickly discounted it's potential.

I sit 14" feet from my 142" HP and the e-shift makes an excellent difference in overall PQ. The increase in pixel density has a number of positive results well beyond just eliminating the pixel structure. it helps increase perceived contrast and can convincingly make you think your looking at a higher resolution version of the source content. it's easy to turn on / off to see the effect.

I have a preference for e-shift 1 vs. e-shift 2, but you would have to see them in a direct A/B to see the differences I found. I would take either eshift 1 or 2 vs. reality creation. At my close seating distance, the RC is generally too harsh on the HW50 and would sometimes turn it off depending on the content. I always leave the e-shift on.

post #14 of 34 Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

this review has a good overview of e-shift with some close-up examples as well.

http://www.ixbt.com/dvd/jvc-dla-x70-90rb.shtml#ansi

post #15 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Cine4home had stated that convergence was more important in terms of the success of e-shift. From my own experiments as I have said many times, the benefits of near perfect convergence are actually overblown. We all look for it, and we all obsess about it. But in all the experiments I have done, the effects of mis-convergence on image detail is not as bad as some might think. It also depends on which colours misconverge. For example, red-green convergence has more effect than red-blue or green-blue. In fact blue has very little importance. Secondly, it depends on the image content. For example a scene where everything is green, will have no negative effect from misconvergence whatsoever. You can also see the effect of misconvergence by sitting on your sofa and intentionally moving the colour out and typically if that colour is within 1 pixel, you will not see much or any loss of detail as a result.

I would argue as Jason has already said, that it is in fact the optics that are most important.
post #16 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I find it strange that you give the JVC E-shift such positive reports. I find E-shift to be the most digital looking when compared to RC and Darbee, and E-shift also totally destroyes the dynamics of the picture (reduces ANSI almost by 50%).

Regards
Andreas

post #17 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

you're in a small range of opinions on this, most owners and reviewers who see it are stating quite the opposite. The e-shift models were the line that convinced a number of CRT owners to finally switch over to digital.

RC on the HW50 can be quite harsh on certain content which has been a topic of conversation since it was released.

post #18 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

I agree that the HW50 needs to be dampened a bit, but when I tested the E-shift models of this year i found them to look very digital compared to the VW1000 I have in my HT. I also own the HW50 and I use RC at resolution set to 5 or lower and only with good HD material.

And you say that this years JVC models made many CRT owners to switch to JVC, and I don't find that strange as one of the many weak points of a CRT is very low ANSI contrast. And I would choose this years JVC and maby any JVC model from the RS1 over any CRT...

Regards
Andreas

post #19 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

by chance, have you see e-shift 1 on last years models? There is a difference imo and the primary reason I kept my RS55 vs. upgrading to the RS56 this year. It needs to be seen in an A/B setup to recognize what I am referring to.

When comparing, I found the original e-shift more natural in appearance than e-shift 2. It appears they changes something with the optical processing.

post #20 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Just to add while I understand Jason's reasoning for preferring e-shift 1 over e-shift 2, the loss of ANSI is fixed in e-shift 2.
post #21 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

I have not A/B tested them, but I did not find last years model to look as digital as this years model. I have only A/B tested this years model against the VW1000 and HW50 in my own HT and i found the VW1000 superior in every way of coarse and the HW50 to be better in some aspects and worse in some. As I use the HW50 in a room with white valls and ceiling the JVC models is out of the question in my HT nr 2.

Regards
Andreas

post #22 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I studied the HW50 and my RS55 for approximately 2 months in my HT and would pick the JVC every time for my 2D blurays. The JVC without e-shift is noticeably sharper on my 142" screen vs. the HW50. The JVC doesn't need e-shift to look good on this size screen, but found the native PQ of the HW50 to be a little too soft without reality creation turned on. It's basically the same as my old HW30 without the RC.

If Sony can improve the lens this year on the upcoming HW55 and also build in some better controls for RC, it will be a great projector.

post #23 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

I would choose the HW50 over this years JVC models in the room I have my HW50, with white walls and ceiling and 100" Supernova 08-85 screen. In my HT number one where I see BD movies I choose the VW1000 over any JVC. I find the HW50 to be a very good PJ inn its pricerange, but if the rumors are true next years model will be a killer. If it sells at the same price as the HW50 it will be almost to good to be true!

Regards
Andreas

post #24 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

In my light controlled / light treated room, it's not a hard decision to pick the RS55 vs. the HW50. I can see the iris pumping even though the Sony has a good iris. Not much can beat native contrast of the RS55 @ -11 on the iris.

with JVC's e-shift, sample variance of the lens can have an effect on the perceived improvement of the e-shift process. basically, the sharper the focus across the entire screen, the better the effect will look when activated.

definitely looking forward to see what Sony and JVC have planned for the fall releases. Maybe a new 4K projector from either company that can actually play 4K content. cool.gif

post #25 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

I have owned many JVC projectors, but in my 100% lighttreated batcave with a 129" 2.35:1 white 1 gain screen nothing beats the 2D PQ of the VW1000 not even the Sim2 Lumis 3DS.

And I am not a fanboy, I only want what is best at my pricerange and don't care what the label says.

Regards
Andreas

post #26 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

For 25K, it better look good. it would look even better if it could actually play 4K content. smile.gif

post #27 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Of course it will play 4K content. It will play native 4096 x 2160 24 and 3840 x 2160 30. You can feed it from the Redray player right now, various computer cards, and the Nuvoto NP-1 coming next week. You can't play it from the Sony FMP-X1 because of thje content protection scheme that is unique at this point to that media server. Sony is working on a way to modify the projector to make it work with the media player.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #28 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

ok, I'll modify the statement. Play 4K content i'd be interested in watching... cool.gif Tech demos are cool, 'That's my Boy' and the craptacular spiderman are not.

mainstream 4K content delivery feels like 1-2+ years away as most studios will not likely commit to Sony's proprietary setup. Folks outside the US are ostracized from gaining access to the hockey pucky.

Joe kane's recent comments @ CES seem to be the most realistic / objective I've heard yet on this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAYWAjJm15s

The standards need to be ratified and adopted before UHD will have any chance of commercial success. consumers will not tolerate another format war. especially when the vast majority of folks will be looking at 4K on a 50-60 set where the improvement in resolution is questionable at best. Widespread 4K acceptable is going to take some serious effort across the various CE's, proprietary fiefdoms like Sony is doing is not going to help.

HDMI 2.0 can't come soon enough.

post #29 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

For 25K, it better look good. it would look even better if it could actually play 4K content. smile.gif

It plays 4K content so this is no problem, and it uscales 1080p superbly and I have no rush in getting the different 4K players. I have seen real 4K material on my VW1000 and it looks great, but so does upscaled 1080p and I find it looks better than all 1080p machines I have seen and I have seen alot of different 1080p machines in the last 5-6 years including the Sim2 Lumis 3DS.

Regards
Andreas

post #30 of 34 Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The Sony does not have HDMI 2.0 and may not be compatible the Blu-ray 4K standard when it comes out (if it also relies on HDMI 2.0). It does not have confirmed compatibility with their media server yet.

While all of these things may get resolved through hardware upgrades for the projector, it is a lot of money to place in the hope that a company does the "right" thing.

UK consumers are really pissed right now because Sony also sell that projector here, and they have started selling 4K flat panels. However Sony has said they are not bringing the 4K media server to the UK and they have no plans to roll-out 4K material via the PS4 when released either outside of the US.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page