how does convergence config on lcd/lcos work ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Especially on epson or sony vpl-hw50es, how can they do zone based convergence ? I could understand panel wide convergence config by physically shifting panels eg: with piezo or the like. But zone based sub-pixel ? How ????

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 242
None of these companies physically move the panels to converge the units. They use software to pseudo-shift the image. This is also how they do zone-based convergence.

This is also why using too much shift can have negative results on picture quality. There is only so much this software can do if your unit has bad native physical convergence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Aaah. Too bad. Somebody told me JVC was using piezos to move the whole panel on the higher end LCOS.

So with just software, moving a single pixel wide red line half a pixel would mean to dim it by 50% on the pixel where it belongs and then adding 50% of its brightness to the neighboring pixel ? Yeah, that kinda sucks. I guess i have to see how much of a picture improvement is possible with such an approach at all. Sound as if it's an immediate loss of resolution/sharpness.

I'd rather have an honest mechanical adjustment option, even it it meant that i would have to open the projector and use a screwdriver.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Maybe the high end units are? I can't think of any way possible to do zone-based convergence shift in a physical manner, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 332
if you're lucky enough to get a copy that only needs a full pixel adjustment, you're not going to see any perceivable loss in resolution.

some panels aren't 'clocked' identical and the full pixel shift could fix 1 part of the grid while making another worse. This forces the zone adjustments which has been debated in other threads.

My RS55 is off by about 1/2 pixel with blue (even across the entire panel) when first turning it on and is near perfect after a short warmup. If any color is off, I'd rather it be blue. it's the least perceived color from seating distance.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by te36 View Post

I'd rather have an honest mechanical adjustment option, even it it meant that i would have to open the projector and use a screwdriver.

There's a Catch 22 with that - making it adjustable, as opposed to bonded in place, makes it intrinsically less robust and stable.

Noah
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page