24p versus 60p w/ Oppo 93 and X95 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So, old TV did not support this so I turned it on.

What am I gaining?

Google search says its more film like for obvious reasons, but what else am I gaining?

I think maybe I see occasional lip sync issues, but that could just be my mind because I have read about it.

The X95 takes what seems like forever to switch from 60 to 24 so it's a bit of an annoyance. Menus are at 60 so when movie starts and it's switching you miss a few seconds of opening production studio logos such as Fox Fanfare.

I spent a pretty penny on everything and I'm not as tech savvy as I was in my youth, but I just want everything to be perfect.

TIA!

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-04-2013, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If you watch a BluRay at 24p then you get the correct motion as each frame is shown for an equal amount of time on the screen (may be doubled or triple 'flashed' by the projector).. If you switch to 60p (when watching a 24p disc) then some frames get repeated (since 60 can't be equally divided by 24) and you get a judder.

It depends how sensitive you are to it, but films broadcast on USA TV NTSC do this since it's broadcast at 60i from the 24p source so you are likely to be more used to it than we are in the UK (as they just speed up 24p to 25p then interlace to 50i for PAL). I don't like 24p at 60 myself, but if you're OK with this then fair enough, since your old TV did it this way then I guess you're used to it being that way. I dofind that HDMI handshaking a bit annoying myself when going from the menu to the feature on my X35 (and HD350 before that).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page