DLP Projectors and Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-06-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As one who is interested in upgrading from my Optoma HD20 to a more advanced projector (and in particular to the BenQ W7000) I am very surprised to read of the many problems associated with this model. Not just the multitude of marks /serial number issues that seem to be the mainstay of the forum but also the technical problems that abound when one reads the contributions to this thread.

The W7000 DLP projector is at least twice what I paid for the Optoma when it was first launched and yet seems as though few people are entirely happy with it or is it that I only see the problems,queries and discontents? With my HD20 I have not had any problems and for the price it is a remarkably good projector; to progress to a more advance model is seemingly fraught with risks and frustration instead of being the 'final solution' with this technology.

Is there anybody in AVS that can state ' I am completely happy with my projector' there have been no problems, model version issues or technical problems whether it be the BenQ or any other DLP projector. Not had much chance to investigate issues with LCD models but I imagine they are not without problems. Let's hear from you contented owners.
DSH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'll be the first to say it: people here expect too much. No one technology is perfect thus people are not content and technology is always changing so something better is always around the corner. People here over examine the display and picture quality more than the general public by far.
As far as the Benq W7000 buy it from a place like Amazon that has a great return policy incase its defective and enjoy! P.S. from what I read here a newer model called Benq w7500 is coming out in Sept.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-06-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookdene View Post

Is there anybody in AVS that can state ' I am completely happy with my projector' there have been no problems, model version issues or technical problems whether it be the BenQ or any other DLP projector. Not had much chance to investigate issues with LCD models but I imagine they are not without problems. Let's hear from you contented owners.
DSH

I love my Planar 8150 (now sold as the Runco LS5). Bought it 4 years ago from AVS and it's been a joy ever since. It's the first projector I've had for more than a year or so. Only "complaint" I have with it is the black level, which could be better (but it could always be better), but not to the point that I'm yet willing to trade that for other sacrifices for other options (like motion handling/convergence/sharpness on LCoS models, or the $20k+ price for a Lumis or Mico).

FWIW, and I hope I don't derail the thread with this. I'm not really sold on BenQs quality. I had (still have actually) a W5000. It's a nice piece, through a nice picture (though not near as nice as my Planar) but I had trouble with the manual IRIS and it made 3 or 4 trips to BenQ to solve it, the last trip may have solved it but it came back with other issues (random startup issues, random shutdowns). It could just come down to them trying to do too much to hit a price point. What I mean is feature wise my W5000 actually out does my Planar, the W5000 has a manual iris, the Planar doesn't, W5000 has motorized lens shift, the Planar doesn't. But you can just tell by handling/using them both that the Planar is much more well built with it's 3-4x higher MSRP than the BenQ and the fact that it's bulletproof for 4 years while the BenQ made 4 trips for service within one year bears that out.

I think what I'm trying to say is some of these "lower end" projectors just try to cram so many wiz-bang features in that they really can't be as well engineered and tested as they should be.

In contrast, my Planar is rock solid, never let me down, but it costs. Of course on the flip side there's your HD20, which IIRC is a very basic machine, but that just means Optoma didn't "waste" engineering/test time on wiz-bang features and they could make the ones they did implement work.

Oh, back to the question, my InFocus IN76 was rock solid too, it was also a "no frills" model. Though it seems InFocus has diverted attention away from Home Theater projectors lately.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4 of 18 Old 07-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Had my IN83 for about 2 years and am very happy, the only issue it seems to have is that once in a blue moon half the screen will be tinted slightly differently. I just switch off and back on again and that fixes it. Its Incredibly bright with a sharp, dimensional image and the bulbs seem to last forever. Like Stanger89, the only downside is that the black level could be better but because its in the living room, the other attributes are more important IMO. The only projectors that are tempting me to upgrade are high end LED DLPs, 3 chippers and the Sony VW1000.

post #5 of 18 Old 07-06-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 527
I have had no problems with mu Sony VPL-vw1000ES. I have no desire to replace it with anything else.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #6 of 18 Old 07-06-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 266
The Planar PD8150 is one of the nicest single chip DLPs of all time. Contrast performance is almost as good as it gets for single chip DLP. The only one that has greater contrast with usable brightness is the Sharp XV-Z20000. The Sharp has a nicer lens as well. These two are my favorite projectors of all time out of the roughly 25 projectors I've owned. For DLP you need to spend a lot of money to get better picture quality compared to the cheaper LCOS machines. LCOS owns the under $5000 MSRP projector market when it comes to picture quality. If you can't afford something line the Runco LS5, I'd recommend a JVC DLA-RS46 instead as it's going to give you better 2D performance over any cheap DLP projector including the BenQ W7000.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-06-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've owned a Runco LED projector for almost two years and run it an average of 10~12 hours each day without any problems to report; The pj puts out an amazingly detailed picture without any convergence issues, no "rainbows", excellent full-on/full-off contrast ratio with the LEDs engaged to "constant contrast", best-in-class ANSI contrast ratio and native LED colors providing a mesmerizing color palette that must be seen in person to be fully appreciated and understood.
My Runco also runs very/very cool at the vent exhaust port and the internal fans hardly make much noise at all.
the only "problems" i have are its size and weight, but on the other hand it it built like a tank with a steel cover all around the unit.
How much are you willing to spend to get a similar top-of-the-line LED projector ? At the classifieds area of AVS someone is selling a Digital Projection M-Vision LED projector, a "clone" of the Runco Q-750i, for only $4,500.00 or best offer which he claims is brand-new with box opened just to take pictures, but even if it is a used projector and considering it uses Luminus Devices Phlatlight LEDs as light source with a lifespan estimated at 50.000 hours, i don't think you have anything to worry about.
I am very surprised the projector is still available for sale, considering its pedigree and asking price, truly a bargain in today's projector market.
Marcos
post #8 of 18 Old 07-10-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all who responded to my call for contented (almost) owners of Video Projectors, must admit I have not heard of some models nor any experience of LEDs in projectors as the main light source. How does this light source compare with the various bulb systems which most seem to have; is the light quality 'white' and I gather the life is much greater. Comments on the LEDs as the future for projectors please.
DSH
post #9 of 18 Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually I'll reply as the only W7000 owner represented here. I've had mine for about 18 months now and aside from sending it to Benq to update the FW I've had zero issues with it. It has plenty of light and the blacks are good if not great. I have little to compare them to but a Panasonic plasma. I have kept up with the W7000 owners thread but as I say have had no iris issues, discoloration issues in fact no issues at all. It calibrates well if not excellent and has been nothing but a joy to watch.

I know it probably seems like I'm a minority amongst W7000 users but I think the fact is that when everything is going well you really don't have any reason to post but when you need help you do. Of all the W7000's sold if you look at the number of people reporting problems it is a very small subset.

But time marches on and a lot of us are always pining for the next best thing and we all seem to want to make sure we have the best there is according to everyone else. But the fact of the matter is without something right beside it to compare how do you really know? Some here have done direct A-B comparisons and report the black levels to be lacking. I don't argue with them but down in my basement after dark The Dark Knight looks stunning and that's good enough for me.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-10-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Another contented trouble free DLP projector owner here . I bought my SIM Lumis in Jan. of 2009. Watched Les Miserables on it last night. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #11 of 18 Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

How does this light source compare with the various bulb systems which most seem to have; is the light quality 'white' and I gather the life is much greater.

Assuming we're talking about "high end" models, they use three LEDs, one each for Red, Green, and Blue. The end result is essentially the same as a normal projector but avoids the steps of splitting/filtering the "white" light into red/green/blue components. They have much longer life (say 20x easy) and produce much more "pure" colors, and can be turned on/off immediately (unlike the long wait for turning on a normal projector as the lamp warms up).

The big thing for me that's had me interested in them is the color saturation. I haven't been fortunate to experience it myself, but when you talk to (or read from) people who have 3 chip DLP machines, one thing they always talk about is the "saturation" of the colors. Not so much in xy coordinate saturation, but how "solid" colors appear. You hear the same thing from people who have LED machines. It seems, that even when calibrated properly (correct SMPTE-C/709 gamut, vs LEDs much wider native gamut) the colors on an LED machine are more solid, more like (just like?) on 3 chip machines vs 1 chip lamp based machines.

There are other things too like being able to modulate the light output instantaneously to achieve something like a dynamic iris, but better.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #12 of 18 Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

There are other things too like being able to modulate the light output instantaneously to achieve something like a dynamic iris, but better.

My NuVision ProVu P2 (Runco Q750i/Vivitek H9080FD clone) has a great dynamic iris implementation. I would say that it's a very small step behind my Planar PD8150 in 'invisible-ness" but it's still one of the best implementations I've seen. The NuVision seems to have higher ANSI contrast and colors feel more solid. I'm also loving the lack of rainbows!
post #13 of 18 Old 07-11-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Brianlund 186 wrote about sending his BenQ W7000 back to BenQ to have the firmware updated, why cannot this be done through one of the ports after downloading the code from their website as I have done with Sony FW updates for their BR players? Returning equipment for this function (or come to that for any function ) I am reluctant to do unless it is absolutely essential. Apart from cost, the way packages are handled these days by whatever carrier is a risk I rather not take. Nice to hear from a satisfied BenQ W7000 owner.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:

Brianlund 186 wrote about sending his BenQ W7000 back to BenQ to have the firmware updated, why cannot this be done through one of the ports after downloading the code from their website as I have done with Sony FW updates for their BR players? Returning equipment for this function (or come to that for any function ) I am reluctant to do unless it is absolutely essential. Apart from cost, the way packages are handled these days by whatever carrier is a risk I rather not take. Nice to hear from a satisfied BenQ W7000 owner.

Benq states that they do not want their software out in the wild to be copied. As a result, they require all projectors to be sent in.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #15 of 18 Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

My NuVision ProVu P2 (Runco Q750i/Vivitek H9080FD clone) has a great dynamic iris implementation. I would say that it's a very small step behind my Planar PD8150 in 'invisible-ness" but it's still one of the best implementations I've seen. The NuVision seems to have higher ANSI contrast and colors feel more solid. I'm also loving the lack of rainbows!

I remember you said there was an issue with it initially and they you were waiting for it to be returned? You seem to be happy with it so presumably their service department is pretty good. How would you rank this against all the other DLPs you have owned?
From the few demos of LED models I have seen, the 'solidity' of colour and grayscale did seem to be a step up from bulb based models. I was just not sure if this was a question of technology or if there are particular bulb based models that can produce colour on par with LED models.

post #16 of 18 Old 07-11-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post

I remember you said there was an issue with it initially and they you were waiting for it to be returned? You seem to be happy with it so presumably their service department is pretty good. How would you rank this against all the other DLPs you have owned?
From the few demos of LED models I have seen, the 'solidity' of colour and grayscale did seem to be a step up from bulb based models. I was just not sure if this was a question of technology or if there are particular bulb based models that can produce colour on par with LED models.

Yes, I have it back and it's working flawlessly now. The warranty was through Vivitek as they were the OEM for the NuVision. The NuVision is very similar to the H9080FD they were selling, but has an upgraded power supply, and a tweaked (read better) 'dynamic iris' LED modulation solution which makes it bascially the same as the Runco Q750i which has the same upgrades over the H9080FD.

I am VERY impressed with how well Vivitek handled my repair. It took a little longer than expected, but they sent me a loaner H9080FD while they had my NuVision, I also told them I wanted to buy the short throw lens option from them when the repair was finished. I'm moving to an apartment next week and the stock throw lens wouldn't have worked. Because of a few complications and because of how long the repair took they gave me the lens for free. The lens has an MSRP of $999. They also paid for overnight shipping to and from their California repair office on both the loaner H9080FD and my NuVision when it was finished. They took care of me like I was a king. I have the utmost respect for them and would highly recommend anyone to buy a Vivitek product solely based on how well they handle RMAs and repairs.

As far as image quality goes, its tough. It is so neck-in-neck in image quality to the Planar PD8150 it's disgusting. The Sharp 20K I have it also VERY nice, but I think I like the image from the Planar and NuVision a little more, plus the latter two supports 24p properly. I've updated the Sharp with the latest software and it does do a convincing job when sent 24p content but the NuVision and Planar do it smoother still.

Here they are sitting pretty next to a JVC DLA-X30: (picture is from my cellphone, not the best quality sorry)

Life has it's perks!
post #17 of 18 Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Seegs108 >>> All i can say about your experience with Vivitek is WOW !
In this day and age for a company to take such amazing care of a customer for a product that, although OEM by Vivitek, was sold by a different company is quite unusual, i would say.
Is Vivitek still selling the H9080FD LED projector, i wonder ?
P.S. : Actually, if i am not wrong, the OEM for this class of LED projectors is the manufacturer Digital Projection and Vivitek sourced their model from them just like Runco did, although cosmetically the NuVision looks exactly like the design of the Vivitek H9080FD.
Marcos
post #18 of 18 Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Seegs108 >>> All i can say about your experience with Vivitek is WOW !
In this day and age for a company to take such amazing care of a customer for a product that, although OEM by Vivitek, was sold by a different company is quite unusual, i would say.
Is Vivitek still selling the H9080FD LED projector, i wonder ?
P.S. : Actually, if i am not wrong, the OEM for this class of LED projectors is the manufacturer Digital Projection and Vivitek sourced their model from them just like Runco did, although cosmetically the NuVision looks exactly like the design of the Vivitek H9080FD.
Marcos

Vivitek is owned by/is the sister company of Delta. Delta is the company who actually manufactures these projectors. Vivitek is just the front man who sells it. Companies like Runco, Sim2, and Digital Projection go to Delta to help design and manufacture projectors. The Runco Q750i is the same projector as my NuVision. The Runco simply has a different case around it, much like the LED model from Digital Projection. If you check the specs, lens options, and take a look at the back plate with all the connectors you'll see they are exactly the same.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page