Impact of white ceiling with projector - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 72 Old 11-21-2013, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Would painting the ceiling dark brown, about 5 feet in front of the screen help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 11-21-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Would painting the ceiling dark brown, about 5 feet in front of the screen help?

Sure - anything helps. White walls and a white ceiling are only good in an operating room. cool.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #63 of 72 Old 11-23-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 749
when I painted my ceiling, I did dark brown for the first 4feet before doing the rest of the ceiling. that first four feet made way more of a difference than the other 16. going from brown to black made almost no difference(in on screen performance) so if brown is aesthetically more pleasing with the lights on, go for it.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #64 of 72 Old 11-24-2013, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have exposed beams stained in a medium brown but my walls are cream coloured. There is a lot of decor on the wall to mask one side, and the other side is a brick wall. I'll also use black out shades and mostly watch at night. The samples I have are the ST130, G4 and HD progressive 1.1, and 1.3. I can see how the white textures may get washed out, but I also feel as though the grey textures wil be far too dark at night. I'm getting the vw600es but have no projector yet. Would enjoy you elaborating on this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Sure - anything helps. White walls and a white ceiling are only good in an operating room. cool.gif
post #65 of 72 Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

I'm curious, however, to know if everyone who has a white ceiling feels the absolute need to paint their ceiling in order to have an acceptable picture.

I am planning to have dark flat paint on the walls, but I'd really prefer not to have dark ceilings.

Will I totally regret my decision and be painting my white ceiling soon after moving to my new house, or will I have a great (but not perfect) picture that most people could lice with?

The only reason my ceiling currently isn't painted is I am moving soon. If you can paint the ceiling or place something below it that is black. The difference is substantial.
post #66 of 72 Old 11-24-2013, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
A black ceiling isn't practical for a lot of people for a lot of reasons. If you have a multi-purpose room (and a wife) a black ceiling probably isn't the best idea. My basement is going to be my home theater, but it's also going to have a walkout to the backyard and we're going to entertain guests. Most people don't want to entertain (or be entertained in) what looks like a S&M dungeon. I went with the darkest grey walls the builder offered and I'll be happy with that. Ignorance is bliss.
post #67 of 72 Old 11-24-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

Ignorance is bliss.
That is true and if you can show you wife the benefits you might be surprised and what happens as you do NOT need to do entire room to achieve the majority of the benefit .
post #68 of 72 Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
A black ceiling isn't practical for a lot of people for a lot of reasons. If you have a multi-purpose room (and a wife) a black ceiling probably isn't the best idea. My basement is going to be my home theater, but it's also going to have a walkout to the backyard and we're going to entertain guests. Most people don't want to entertain (or be entertained in) what looks like a S&M dungeon. I went with the darkest grey walls the builder offered and I'll be happy with that. Ignorance is bliss.

I don't even have a black ceiling ( since I'd like to keep my 3rd wife eek.gif ). Dark gray / dark brown with similar colors from the same color pallet on the walls can make a room pretty dark without making it a dreary dungeon. I do like black carpet though ( until I have to clean up the popcorn spills ).

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #69 of 72 Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ anything that looks black when you turn the lights off it great for most sane people. my walls are blue top, black bottom, and with the lights off and the projector on i can't tell where the line is on the walls.

i would also say, any problem created by a dark ceiling/walls can be fixed by extra lighting. biggrin.gif

post #70 of 72 Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i would also say, any problem created by a dark ceiling/walls can be fixed by extra lighting

I prefer that extra lighting to be from a nice bright projector! smile.gif

post #71 of 72 Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:

I don't even have a black ceiling ( since I'd like to keep my 3rd wife eek.gif ). Dark gray / dark brown with similar colors from the same color pallet on the walls can make a room pretty dark without making it a dreary dungeon. I do like black carpet though ( until I have to clean up the popcorn spills ).
Sounds like

Years ago there was a commercial where a guy talked about his wife keeping herself in shape and taking some sort of iron pills or something like that (Carter's?) and finishing up with that's my wife, I guess I'll keep her. After three Craig, you have no options. Its like baseball, three strikes and you are out.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #72 of 72 Old 11-27-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I prefer that extra lighting to be from a nice bright projector! smile.gif
i already find my projector approaching 'too bright'. until i find a way to put up a 140"+ screen, i've got more important things to worry about.

it's kind of a catch 22 when you go brighter as well. brighter the image, more light you need your room to absorb. i find it pretty easy to maintain a dark room with jvc iris clamped down. fully opened, it's bright enough to read by, and 1/2 my walls, and ceiling are flat black.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Stewart Firehawk G3
Gear in this thread - 6020ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page