post #121 of 127 Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

when you are investing this kind of money, it's really senseless not to use blurays, sorry.

I agree in as much you shouldn't be buying or renting DVD's anymore, but I'm not a believer that you should upgrade all your movies. I think a quality upscaler can be very good and might be a better purchase if incorporated into a blu-ray player. I've seen several Blu-ray movies that weren't mastered well and were quite grainy.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks again everyone for the extended input on this issue. To now put it to bed:

I have sorted out the issues with the X35 and getting a good Blu-ray image out of it. I have an Opto player coming which should significantly improve showing DVDs. I'm not going to throw away our collection of DVDs just because of a new projector. There are many old and great films on our shelves that are not available in Blu-ray. We will obviously be doing more with Blu-ray as we purchase new material. Plus I've watched some cable HD programming and that is pretty impressive as well.

The screen is clearly an issue. I'm in the process of ordering a replacement mat white Draper material for it.

Once the new screen material is in place I will work with the WOW disk and see if I can get the picture to a level that satisfies me. Since I feel it's already pretty good......even on the Gray Wolf screen...... I think that might be adequate. If not I have already made contact with a professional who will come out and calibrate the projector for me.

So that is it. Again thank you all for the help. I've learned a ton from all of you on the JVC DLA-X35 and projectors/screens in general.

BH
post #123 of 127 Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDavis View Post

Thanks again everyone for the extended input on this issue. To now put it to bed:

I have sorted out the issues with the X35 and getting a good Blu-ray image out of it. I have an Opto player coming which should significantly improve showing DVDs. I'm not going to throw away our collection of DVDs just because of a new projector. There are many old and great films on our shelves that are not available in Blu-ray. We will obviously be doing more with Blu-ray as we purchase new material. Plus I've watched some cable HD programming and that is pretty impressive as well.

The screen is clearly an issue. I'm in the process of ordering a replacement mat white Draper material for it.

Once the new screen material is in place I will work with the WOW disk and see if I can get the picture to a level that satisfies me. Since I feel it's already pretty good......even on the Gray Wolf screen...... I think that might be adequate. If not I have already made contact with a professional who will come out and calibrate the projector for me.

So that is it. Again thank you all for the help. I've learned a ton from all of you on the JVC DLA-X35 and projectors/screens in general.

BH

Just a caution: I wouldn't expect a better upconverting player to have a big impact. Differences between upconverting players can often be very subtle (and sometimes imperceptible). So don't think it will be a magic bullet.

You might want to try some noise reduction settings to help DVDs look better and less noisy. Especially on the Oppo when it arrives. (I use a Denon video processor and it offers good noise reduction for DVDs when they are too noisy and blocky looking).
post #124 of 127 Old 07-20-2013, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Just a caution: I wouldn't expect a better upconverting player to have a big impact. Differences between upconverting players can often be very subtle (and sometimes imperceptible). So don't think it will be a magic bullet.

You might want to try some noise reduction settings to help DVDs look better and less noisy. Especially on the Oppo when it arrives. (I use a Denon video processor and it offers good noise reduction for DVDs when they are too noisy and blocky looking).

I remember all these claims years ago "Make your DVDs look like Blu-Ray". That was a complete load of nonsense, perpetuated in part by Toshiba once HD DVD failed. Having said that, I have some DVDs that look strikingly good still on my JVC and I have no issue in still watching them. I put on Kill Bill DVD this week and I thought it looked great!
post #125 of 127 Old 07-20-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I remember all these claims years ago "Make your DVDs look like Blu-Ray". That was a complete load of nonsense, perpetuated in part by Toshiba once HD DVD failed. Having said that, I have some DVDs that look strikingly good still on my JVC and I have no issue in still watching them. I put on Kill Bill DVD this week and I thought it looked great!

Funny. The Kill Bill DVDs are riddled with edge enhancement and DNR. They looked poor even by the standard of the time they were released. The Blu-rays are brand new transfers and an order of magnitude better.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #126 of 127 Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Funny. The Kill Bill DVDs are riddled with edge enhancement and DNR. They looked poor even by the standard of the time they were released. The Blu-rays are brand new transfers and an order of magnitude better.

Just to clarify, it was the second one I was watching the other day. According to reviews the second one was good for image. But both Kill Bill DVDs had outstanding use of colour and contrast which was one of the things I noted when watching it recently. You are absolutely right that the first one had edge enhancement and looked softer than it should have.
post #127 of 127 Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Just to clarify, it was the second one I was watching the other day. According to reviews the second one was good for image. But both Kill Bill DVDs had outstanding use of colour and contrast which was one of the things I noted when watching it recently. You are absolutely right that the first one had edge enhancement and looked softer than it should have.

They were both DNRed and edge enhanced. All Miramax DVDs of that time period were. I owned both those discs, and the second was no better than the first.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page