Constant height image epson 3020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I just purchased an Epson 3020 and I am trying to set up the constant height image on it. there is nothing in the manual that was helping me out so I decided to ask around. I am having this issue with my aspect option (located after you press the aspect ratio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeeagle View Post

Hello all,

I just purchased an Epson 3020 and I am trying to set up the constant height image on it. there is nothing in the manual that was helping me out so I decided to ask around. I am having this issue with my aspect option (located after you press the aspect ratio.

Constant image height is used specifically with an anamorphic lens if im not mistaken. You could "Cheat" and zoom your projector in so that there are not blackc bars on the top and bottom.. however its not really the same.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #3 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Constant image height is used specifically with an anamorphic lens if im not mistaken. You could "Cheat" and zoom your projector in so that there are not blackc bars on the top and bottom.. however its not really the same.

CIH is done all the time without a lens. There may be more CIH systems without lens than there are CIH systems with lens. It is easy to do with any projector that has lens memory, like any of the JVC's, Sony VW95ES , Sony VW1000ES and many others. Before lens memory, many people did it using a projector with powered lens and as you talked about, there are a few people that do CIH by manually adjusting the zoom and lens shift. I will have to admit, I would never consider doing CIH with a projector with manual lens features. That would be a big pain in the butt.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Given the 3020 has a manual zoom and no lens shift, its not really practical to do CIH using the zoom method with this projector. Also given an Anamorphic lens plus external processing to vertically stretch the image would cost more than the projector this may not make economic sense.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

CIH is done all the time without a lens. There may be more CIH systems without lens than there are CIH systems with lens. It is easy to do with any projector that has lens memory, like any of the JVC's, Sony VW95ES , Sony VW1000ES and many others. Before lens memory, many people did it using a projector with powered lens and as you talked about, there are a few people that do CIH by manually adjusting the zoom and lens shift. I will have to admit, I would never consider doing CIH with a projector with manual lens features. That would be a big pain in the butt.

Ahh thanks for the heads up. I always assumed from various threads that a true CIH setup was done with an anamorphic lens

I guess technically it wouldent matter how its achieved so long as the image fits the screen tongue.gif
Always assumed that was the "taboo" way of doing it so to speak. makes sense though.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #6 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Ahh thanks for the heads up. I always assumed from various threads that a true CIH setup was done with an anamorphic lens

I guess technically it wouldent matter how its achieved so long as the image fits the screen tongue.gif
Always assumed that was the "taboo" way of doing it so to speak. makes sense though.

I am sure many lens users do feel that way. smile.gif

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I'd call it (using a lens and video processor) the "ultimate" way to do CIH, but I wouldn't use the word "true"

Kind of like having a garage with a two post lift is the ultimate for working on your car (quicker/easier/more efficient, but expensive and takes lots of space), but you can do it with a floor jack and jack stands too (harder/less efficient, but cheap and doesn't take any space hardly), both have pros and cons.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #8 of 10 Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I'd call it (using a lens and video processor) the "ultimate" way to do CIH, but I wouldn't use the word "true"

Kind of like having a garage with a two post lift is the ultimate for working on your car (quicker/easier/more efficient, but expensive and takes lots of space), but you can do it with a floor jack and jack stands too (harder/less efficient, but cheap and doesn't take any space hardly), both have pros and cons.

Yes lots of ways to do it and each has their pros and cons. I am a lens user and I also use a Lumagen video processor. smile.gif

post #9 of 10 Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Ah, good lens + Radiance = CIH Happiness cool.gif

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #10 of 10 Old 07-12-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Ah, good lens + Radiance = CIH Happiness cool.gif

But this thread is about a person with an entry level projector (Epson 3020) and I doubt anyone is seriously going to be spending an additional $5K to add an good quality A-lens plus a Radiance processor to such a budget projector.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h501020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page