BenQ W7000: The UHP lamp inside and how to change it - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-16-2013, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven’t had a pleasant experience with my BenQ W7000. It was DOA in early September 2012. Returned to BenQ (Sydney) and was supposedly repaired, but was DOA a second time in mid October. Personally delivered the unit to BenQ in early November and received a replacement which lasted for about 150 hours of use until it, too, developed a fault on a Friday evening in July 2013. So, on the Tuesday, back to Sydney it went a third time.

Fortunately, BenQ Australia offer a 3-year warranty with on-site courier pickup. It’s a great projector and I’m sticking with it. Shame about the reliability, but yay for the service: arrived in Sydney 4.30 PM yesterday, they fixed it today, it will be tested and returned tomorrow. And I'll get a phone call from the tech explaining what the problem was.

Anyway, while playing around with the sick projector over the weekend awaiting pickup, I thought I’d check the lamp. One thing led to another, and the lamp module was soon in pieces on my work bench. Then I wanted to find out technical details about the lamp, and that led to a 9-page PDF containing almost everything you’d ever want to know about a BenQ W7000 lamp and how to replace it.

The 27 MB Zip file can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/?juh9szob3q6gfnh

Happy reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 AM

I was watching a movie an the projector made a popping noise and the color went away. The projector then made a loud fan grinding like noise while the picture remained in brown and white.

I sent the projector to a NYC repair center who wanted $700 for a new color wheel, lamp ballast and mother board. Benq repair in CA told me that sounded like it could be a reasonable repair amount but probably not worth putting into an old W9000. I had the NYC repair center send the projector back.

Subsequent reading got me thinking the NYC shop was wrong. All symptoms seem to point to the color wheel alone. I opened up the projector and held the color wheel (clearly shattered) from spinning. The noise went away so it was definitely the color wheel motor.

I've got a new color wheel coming and will try to install it myself unless I can find someone willing to put it in for me.

Also......I'm not surprised by your experience with Benq repairs.

My first projector was a little Benq DLP that I used for about 5 years. The picture was getting poor so I sent it in for general cleaning. It took 3 weeks plus the week each way going from CT to CA and back.

When the projector came back there was a hair in front of the lens so I had to send it back to them. The next time it came back it had a loose screwt rattling around inside the projector. Back again. Finally on the 3rd try it came back good and showed a clean image again. The whole process took months.

In frustration I wrote Benq corporate and explained what had happened. While Benq tech capabilities seemed to be lacking their corporate customer service was outstanding. As an apology they offered me a no charge upgrade from my 5 year old basic projector to the W9000. The W9000 was a refurb and there were a couple minor issues that hadn't been corrected by their repair dept. but I was able to live with those. I used the W9000 for another approx. 5 years before the color wheel went.

BH
post #3 of 3 Old 07-17-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info about your BenQ experience. So other than a few hiccups you've had a long period of enjoyment from the projectors. I was becoming very concerned about the quality control for the W7000, but maybe I've just been unlucky three times and I'll have faultless years of using it ahead of me.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page