Replacement for SP7205: Epson 5020UB, Panasonic AE8000, or Sony HW50. Advice apprecitated! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-20-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
IanK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All

My venerable Screenplay 7205 finally died after many years of service. I need a replacement reasonably soon and would love some advice on choosing it. The projectors I listed in this title seem the best in my price range (but would be interested in other suggestions). I realize this kind of question has been beaten to death in this forum but I cant seem to find anything tailored to my situation.

My set up is a 106 inch 16:9 Firehawk with the PJ about 15' away (ceiling mount). this is a family room HT so light control is only mediocre.

This is only for movies and sports, no games.

The issues that are important to me are:

Reasonable light output.
Minimal motion artifacts or processing artifacts.

Issues that are not important:

motorized lenses
other aspect ratios
input lag


Again, I really appreciate any help with this

Ian
IanK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kei Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Huntington Beach, CA, US
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you looked at any of these models? Compared to the SP7205 calibrated, any one the units mentioned should give you considerable improvement on the picture quality, though you may want to consider the display type. Another model you may want to consider on the list would be the JVC RS46.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kei Clark is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,096
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 226
If you have the budget, out of the ones you listed, I'd choose the HW50ES. It is the most well rounded projector out of them all. The JVC DLA-RS46 is a great option as well. If you plan on viewing a lot of 3D I'd choose the HW50ES, it not, I'd go with the JVC DLA-RS46.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #4 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
IanK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

If you have the budget, out of the ones you listed, I'd choose the HW50ES. It is the most well rounded projector out of them all. The JVC DLA-RS46 is a great option as well. If you plan on viewing a lot of 3D I'd choose the HW50ES, it not, I'd go with the JVC DLA-RS46.

thanks Dylan. I realize the RS46 has great 2D PQ, I am just concerned with how it would handle a room with suboptimal light control.

Ian
IanK is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kei Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Huntington Beach, CA, US
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
With ambient light in the room, the HW50ES will likely perform better as it is brighter calibrated, and you should still have good black levels using the Firehawk..


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kei Clark is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 07-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Member
 
dbturbo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

With ambient light in the room, the HW50ES will likely perform better as it is brighter calibrated, and you should still have good black levels using the Firehawk..

Agree - while audtioning both the JVC and Sony in a similar environment with ambient light the JVC's picture washed out significantly more than the Sony's.
dbturbo2 is online now  
post #7 of 11 Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,525
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 321
The HW50 and RS46 are within 100 lumens of one another with a D65 calibration at the same throw. This wouldn't account for either looking noticeably better than the other in ambient light viewing. i've had both in a direct A/B for the shootout thread, no specific winner here imo.

The Epson's 5020's torch mode can be calibrated to 1400 lumens with a very close to D65 calibration.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zombie10k is online now  
post #8 of 11 Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
booga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The HW50 and RS46 are within 100 lumens of one another with a D65 calibration at the same throw. This wouldn't account for either looking noticeably better than the other in ambient light viewing. i've had both in a direct A/B for the shootout thread, no specific winner here imo.

The Epson's 5020's torch mode can be calibrated to 1400 lumens with a very close to D65 calibration.

What about his emphasis on sports? wouldn't the Sony HW50 be a better option for sports and movies?
booga24 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,525
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 321
he mentioned movies and sports, not sure if this is a 50/50 split or if 1 is more important to the other.

the real topic here is watching a projector in a family room with little light control. In this situation, I'm going for max lumen output for ambient light sports viewing. Torch mode is a solid 1400+ lumens @ near D65 mid-throw.

The 5020 calibrates very well in cinema mode with the lights out and the overall contrast rivals the HW50.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zombie10k is online now  
post #10 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
IanK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zombie et al,

thanks for your input. in practice, viewing will probably be more movies than sports (ie 70:30). And typically when we watch sports, we usually can reduce ambient light at least modestly. Based on all of your advice, and my own reserach, it does seem like the two PJs that make the most sense would be either the Sony or the Epson.

Given Zombie's shootout results, which seem to overall favor the Sony, and the apparent better reliability of the Sony, and the fact that the street price difference between the two is not dramatic, I am leaning strongly towards the Sony

Ian
IanK is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Senior Member
 
booga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanK View Post

Zombie et al,

thanks for your input. in practice, viewing will probably be more movies than sports (ie 70:30). And typically when we watch sports, we usually can reduce ambient light at least modestly. Based on all of your advice, and my own reserach, it does seem like the two PJs that make the most sense would be either the Sony or the Epson.

Given Zombie's shootout results, which seem to overall favor the Sony, and the apparent better reliability of the Sony, and the fact that the street price difference between the two is not dramatic, I am leaning strongly towards the Sony

Ian

Same here, did my research and obviously Zombie's shootout was a great influence on me. I watch movies 100% and sports 100% TV shows 100 % (walking dead/ homeland/ game of throne / hey 24 is also going back), then ordered the Sony HW50 (I do everything I like 100% LOL).
booga24 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off