Returned a BenQ W7000. Need help selecting new projector. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-24-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I already posted in the under $3,000 projector range. Trying to get as many opinions as possible.

So I need help selecting a projector for my mancave. Im projecting onto a 120" EZ Frame 1.1 gain cinewhite screen from 16 ft. I'm recently on my FIFTH BENQ W7000!!!!!! Yes that's right, 5th. I've had nothing but bad luck out of this thing. I don't know if I'm cursed, or just not meant to own this projector. One positive thing about this whole situation is how well BenQ's Customer Service has handled this. They'be been absolutely great.

Here's my dilemma. I have no freakin clue which projector I should go with. I really enjoy the look of the W7000 for a few reasons. The first being how sharp and crisp the picture is. The second being the great 3D (other than a smidge on the dark side) And thirdly, the motion handling. My biggest complaint from this projector other than the QC of course, would be the black levels, low contrast and the colors just not quite popping like my Sony HX850 LED. No matter how much I turn up the color, or mess with the fine tuning and turning up the saturation, it just never pops. Not sure how to explain it. I guess I'm looking for deep colors and that could possibly go back to the subpar black levels.

So here's what I use my projector for. 50% Movies, 40% Gaming and 10% Direct TV watching. My top pick right now would be the Epson 5020 but after reading through the entire thread, I'm not sure that would be my best choice. I've heard that it has pretty bad lag for video games, bad motion handling and bad convergence/panel allignment. I'm also highly considering the Panasonic PT-AE8000 and possibly the Sony HW50ES if I can find a good enough price.

I'm not sure how recently any of you have been to the movie theater, but I went and watched The Conjuring a couple days ago and saw it at an AMC Theater. BTW, if any of you like horror movies, it was freaking awesome!!! Totally old school with a concept that's been done hundreds of times, but rarely done this well. Highly recommended.

Anyways, They showed it on a Christie Projector and it just looked fantastic!!! The colors really popped, it was almost crystal clear with decent but not great sharpness. I don't know, it just looked like a huge LCD to me. That's what I'm looking for. To be honest, I'm not that big on having an accurate picture. In fact, I kind of prefer an overly processed picture with the dreaded soap opera effect all the way up. I know most people on here would have my head for saying that, but it's just my preference. I'm trying to find something that can maybe get me as close to an LED or LCD experience as possible. Although, I plan on having Chad B calibrate whatever projector I get.

So after saying all this, here is where i would put my top wants in a projector in order.

1 - Sharp, Clear and Crisp. If it has a lot of noise in the picture and looks too soft, I just wouldn't like it.

2 - Good deep saturated colors. I like my picture to pop!

3 - Good to great 3D with good to great motion handling.

4 - Lastly, black levels. I want good to great black levels, but if I can get my top three and sacrifice a little bit of the black levels in the process, I'm ok with that.

Again, The epson 5020 and Panaonic PT-AE8000is at the top of my list but it may not fit what I'm looking for. I would love to get someone's opinion on it or any other projector they think I might like or should consider.

Another option I was considering is waiting for the new BenQ W7500 people have mentioned here on the forums. Sounds like it will give me the same great picture of the W7000 except with better black levels and hopefully better contrast. Any idea when that might become available?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 235
With that rear shelf mount setup, you could easily run 2 projectors. It's hard to find 1 model that has all those attributes you listed. a good, affordable combo could be a b-stock RS45 for the movies, and the new Optoma HD25 for 3D and gaming.

if you were down to the 5020 vs. 8000, 5020 all the way imo. I don't think you will like the smoothscreen. 5020 pixel structure is a little harsh up close, but it looks surprisingly sharp at normal seating distance. Blacks are way better than the W7000.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

With that rear shelf mount setup, you could easily run 2 projectors. It's hard to find 1 model that has all those attributes you listed. a good, affordable combo could be a b-stock RS45 for the movies, and the new Optoma HD25 for 3D and gaming.

if you were down to the 5020 vs. 8000, 5020 all the way imo. I don't think you will like the smoothscreen. 5020 pixel structure is a little harsh up close, but it looks surprisingly sharp at normal seating distance. Blacks are way better than the W7000.

Thanks Zombie. The rear mount shelf looks a little decieving because I was barely able to fit the W7000 on it. Although, a dual projector setup might ultimately be the way to go for me.

Do you know the biggest pros and cons of both the 5020 and 8000? What exactly is the smoothscreen? If that means a less sharp picture, I have a Darbee that can help with that. How do the black levels of the 8000 compare to the 5020 and the W7000 I had? Also, my front row or seating in my mancave is about 10-11 feet from the screen. Would that be too close for the 5020?

post #4 of 10 Old 07-25-2013, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

Do you know the biggest pros and cons of both the 5020 and 8000? What exactly is the smoothscreen? If that means a less sharp picture, I have a Darbee that can help with that. How do the black levels of the 8000 compare to the 5020 and the W7000 I had? Also, my front row or seating in my mancave is about 10-11 feet from the screen. Would that be too close for the 5020?

8000's black levels about halfway between the 5020 and w7000. Trust Zombie on this, the Epson 5010/5020 easily beats the Panny for image quality. The only reason I'd consider the Panny is if you need less gaming lag for competitive FPS, or if you wanted a CIH / 2.35 setup (but JVC's can do this as well).

Forget gaming lag IMO, one thing that is seldom mentioned about gaming lag is that on a screen as big as a projector, most gamers aren't as good at FPS anyways. So for competitive FPS, you are still better off on a monitor. Just play all other games on the projector is my advice, otherwise none of these projectors really have all the attributes you are wanting.

The JVC RS-46 is better for movies IMO than the Epson, but has even a tiny bit more gaming lag. Personally, I'd go for the JVC, but that's just me, ultimately it's your preferences that decide your fate.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 10 Old 07-25-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I guess if it were me, and you liked how your W7000 looked, I'd look at the Sharp Z30000. If 3D wasn't on your list, there's a couple great deals on high end DLPs in the classifieds, but they don't do 3D. Another interesting option is the Panasonic PT-RZ470. It's a LED/Laser machine so it could (should?) have really solid/saturated colors (the high end LEDs like the Mico, Vango, Runco, etc all do), though I haven't seen any user reviews of this Panny yet.

Or, since you didn't mention budget, you could always get a Sim2 Lumis 3D Solo and be done with it biggrin.gif
Quote:

I'm not sure how recently any of you have been to the movie theater, but I went and watched The Conjuring a couple days ago and saw it at an AMC Theater. BTW, if any of you like horror movies, it was freaking awesome!!! Totally old school with a concept that's been done hundreds of times, but rarely done this well. Highly recommended.

Anyways, They showed it on a Christie Projector and it just looked fantastic!!! The colors really popped, it was almost crystal clear with decent but not great sharpness. I don't know, it just looked like a huge LCD to me. That's what I'm looking for. To be honest, I'm not that big on having an accurate picture. In fact, I kind of prefer an overly processed picture with the dreaded soap opera effect all the way up. I know most people on here would have my head for saying that, but it's just my preference. I'm trying to find something that can maybe get me as close to an LED or LCD experience as possible. Although, I plan on having Chad B calibrate whatever projector I get.

FWIW, you only see about 2000:1 native/sequential contrast on those big Cinema DLPs. wink.gif

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #6 of 10 Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks everyone. I started to look at the Mitsubishi HC5 but the 3d quality has me a little concerned. Everything else about it sounds great though. Anyone have any experience with the HC5 and if so, what are some of the pros and cons? And how is the 3D?

post #7 of 10 Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks everyone. I started to look at the Mitsubishi HC5 but the 3d quality has me a little concerned. Everything else about it sounds great though. Anyone have any experience with the HC5 and if so, what are some of the pros and cons? And how is the 3D?
I just watched a little bit yesterday and there was some ghosting, though I had not let the lamp properly warm up. I will probably do a feature length movie tomorrow or Monday, and I will get back to you. It was plenty bright on my 106" screen.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you can justify spending a bit more, @ $10K or thereabouts (street) you can get into a SIM2 NERO 3D-1. Reviews are excellent and performance is on par with projectors costing much much more.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-28-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

If you can justify spending a bit more, @ $10K or thereabouts (street) you can get into a SIM2 NERO 3D-1. Reviews are excellent and performance is on par with projectors costing much much more.

I wish I could. My wife would freaking kill me if I did!!!! Lol

post #10 of 10 Old 08-02-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's funny you mention soap opera effect which most people hate but I like it as well, have it cranked up on my Epson 6010 and love it. I have a Darbee too (set to HD 45%). 3D on the Epson is just fantastic, so bright and punchy compared to most of what I see in movie theaters. I absolutely love the 6010, fantastic black levels, 3D great, very sharp looking tweaked with frame interpolation, Darbee, etc.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page