Was and maybe still getting Benq w1070 but thinking about getting something better - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-03-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My room is just about complete. Light controlled (dimmers), little to none ambient lighting due to window blinds, black ceiling and partial side walls, rest of walls dark grey, black carpet in about 2 weeks. Ceiling is 7ft. front to back like 20ft, side to side about 11ft. This will be my first projector. It will be ceiling mounted. Lens no more than 11.5ft from screen. Seating anwhere from 12-16ft from screen. It will get lots of hours user per week, like maybe 50. 80% TV/sports, 20% BR. No gaming but that may change. The screen will likely be a 108" Elunevision 4K Reference FF. Originally was going to get the Benq w1070 projector and still may but I'm now considering getting better. Thought abut the Epson 5020UB but concerned about the white against the black ceiling (could be remedied by getting 6020UB but that is more money and not sure worth it) and reading abut convergence issue, etc. There is the Sony HW50es and then the JVC x35. I have a chief mount (RSMAU) that cannot handle the JVC weight but I can always get a different mount.

So, of the Epson, Sony, and JVC which one would be the best choice given my viewing habits. Is there something else in the approx price range I've missed. Up here in Canada pricing, as far as I can gather and lowest to highest would be Epson, JVC, Sony. There is almost a $600 difference between the JVC and Sony. Lastly, I would like to have this in place by the start of NFL season but considering new models and details are to be released soon(ish) I may wait.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

My room is just about complete. Light controlled (dimmers), little to none ambient lighting due to window blinds, black ceiling and partial side walls, rest of walls dark grey, black carpet in about 2 weeks. Ceiling is 7ft. front to back like 20ft, side to side about 11ft. This will be my first projector. It will be ceiling mounted. Lens no more than 11.5ft from screen. Seating anwhere from 12-16ft from screen. It will get lots of hours user per week, like maybe 50. 80% TV/sports, 20% BR. No gaming but that may change. The screen will likely be a 108" Elunevision 4K Reference FF. Originally was going to get the Benq w1070 projector and still may but I'm now considering getting better. Thought abut the Epson 5020UB but concerned about the white against the black ceiling (could be remedied by getting 6020UB but that is more money and not sure worth it) and reading abut convergence issue, etc. There is the Sony HW50es and then the JVC x35. I have a chief mount (RSMAU) that cannot handle the JVC weight but I can always get a different mount.

So, of the Epson, Sony, and JVC which one would be the best choice given my viewing habits. Is there something else in the approx price range I've missed. Up here in Canada pricing, as far as I can gather and lowest to highest would be Epson, JVC, Sony. There is almost a $600 difference between the JVC and Sony. Lastly, I would like to have this in place by the start of NFL season but considering new models and details are to be released soon(ish) I may wait.

Thanks

Sent you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-04-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 795
I figured i'd just reply in here to your question in pm.

I couldn't find any hockey to watch, but put on some football and had the screen rolled halfway down so I had the jvc x35 overlapping with my Samsung f8500. I also zoomed out as much as possible so that size wasn't playing as much of a factor. the plasma is 64" and i'd estimate the projector was down around 80"

anyway, I THINK the Samsung was smoother when it came to motion, but to be totally honest it was really subtle to my eyes. as I said before, I've never been bothered by motion blur, but I was trying really hard to see differences. as far as what was on center screen, I really couldn't. when the guys were running, or the ball being thrown, those things looked about the same to me. the differences I thought I saw were in the background, the stuff not in focus. so say there was a guy running down the field, on both displays his fast moving legs looked clear, but on the jvc, the ppl standing on the sidelines looked more out of focus than on the Samsung.

overall, i did not find it distracting or troublesome. what i did notice was how badly i need a better screen for the jvc. the Samsung really looks so much smoother and clearer compared to all the screen texture and sparklies i see with the projector. the one thing that really shocked me though, was the fade to black was actually very noticeably darker on the jvc(with grey screen) than on the Samsung plasma. even with a bit of ambient light, i was not expecting that at all.

anyway, it is my opinion, that while the jvc, and lcos in general may not be the best for motion handling, i certainly didn't find it to be a problem watching football. having not compared it to the sony, Epson, or a decent dlp i can't make too bold of statement though. i'll simply say for my eyes, it's not an area of concern, and not something that i would trade blacks or contrast for. if the sony is at all worse in blacks and contrast, i would prefer the jvc.

on the other hand, the 600bux you save, is ALMOST enough to pick up a 1070 or something DLP to play all the sports you want. so i think i'd recommend the jvc, try it out and if it's not quite there for the fast stuff, grab a cheaper dlp for that. you don't really need to worry about deep blacks for sports, especially not hockey, haha.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 5 Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks fierce, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. May, as I said just get the w1070 and see how things go. Decisions, decisions. Hmmm.....
post #5 of 5 Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

Thanks fierce, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. May, as I said just get the w1070 and see how things go. Decisions, decisions. Hmmm.....

that might make even more sense. grab the 1070 and if it's good, great. if you find yourself wanting something with better blacks and contrast, maybe you can pick up a jvc on clearance when the new models come out. either way, it won't be like you 'wasted' money on the 1070, as you could still use it for 3D, sports, gaming, etc.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page