post #31 of 36 Old 08-10-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by nflguy View Post

Tonight was our first chance to watch a full movie projected on the wall (Transformers 3). The viewable image was 48" by 114.5. The bottom of the image is 42" from the floor. That combined with the 10inch riser result in an unblocked view of the screen for the people in the back row (riser) too. I didn't want people's heads blocking the bottom portion if the screen for those watching from back row.

I don't have any theater style seating yet so I put a couch in front of the riser so we could find out what it's like watching the screen from that distance. Sitting on the couch put our eyes aprox 11.5 ft from the screen wall. We LOVED it. I kept thinking the only thing that would be better is if the viewable image was just an inch or two taller and a few inches wider but it was a very pleasant viewing experience. I had thought sitting in front of the riser would be too close but it's just right. Watching 133" 16x9 content hurts my eyes after 45 minutes or so but this was enjoyable from start to finish.

On the one hand I could get a 133" 16x9 screen that matches the dimensions of the image we are projecting on the wall now, and use lense memory for scope movies and to make the 133" 16x9 image closer to 110 or 120" for 16x9 content (also by using lense memory).

However getting the 133" 2:35 screen gives me an additional 4 inches in height and 8 inches of width for scope movies. This would require us to uninstall the projector from its current position then add some plywood in the attic so it can be installed another 1.5 ft further back from the screen.

Right now the Image is projected on a wall painted dark blue. I wonder if my 2:35 movie were projected on a white/grey 133" 16x9 screen if the unused portion of the screen would be distracting. The unused part when watching scope movies now is on a dark wall so not sure If that makes a difference.

One thing I kept thinking during the movie was "why do I need a screen?" . The picture quality was great just projected on the wall. what exactly is the benefit of a screen when the picture already looks good projected on a wall? Especially when a screen could cost $2,000 or more plus shipping. Does it make the image brighter, better contrast etc?

Keep in mind your lamp is new and will dim over time. You want a little bit of extra brightness, so that you can run the projector with the iris closed down. That will allow you to open the iris as the lamp dims and you will be able to maintain wanted brightness.

Brightness wise you are fine with the 133" 2.35 using zoom method, using the screen that we discussed.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 08-10-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 815
you may want to spend some time in the DIY screen section. it may be a good idea for you to start off with a paint screen or something cheap in case you change your mind quickly after getting used to a certain size.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #33 of 36 Old 08-10-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

One thing I kept thinking during the movie was "why do I need a screen?" . The picture quality was great just projected on the wall. what exactly is the benefit of a screen when the picture already looks good projected on a wall? Especially when a screen could cost $2,000 or more plus shipping. Does it make the image brighter, better contrast etc?

Picture with a screen is much better! Just hang a screen sample up and you'll see right away. I've had it back and forth with different projectors for ~ 20 years. Every time I take the same projector and put it on a screen I'm always reminded how much better the image can be. (Of course, there are "bad" screens, but advice on this forum is usually safe in this area...)

B.
post #34 of 36 Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I did think the image could be a little brighter. I don't know what brightness setting the projector is on though .
post #35 of 36 Old 08-10-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:

I did think the image could be a little brighter. I don't know what brightness setting the projector is on though .

you need to think of the projector/screen as a system. you can't watch anything without both. your wall, is the screen, but a wall has a very limited number of options. it's entirely possible that a painted wall will work for you, but it should be chosen that way, not settled on because of ease or price.

screens can make the image brighter, or blacks darker. they can spread the light out evenly to get a great viewing angle, or focus it tight to avoid light reflecting off the ceiling and walls. they can be acoustically transparent to let you put speakers behind them, or have a super fine weave so that the material is virtually invisible.

the main advantage to buying a screen is the number of options you have to choose from. you can get exactly what you need.

and all of that brings me back to my last post. I think you'd be better off painting a screen on your wall for now. then, after you're familiar with the performance, the 'wow' factor has worn off and you can honestly evaluate your needs, you can go screen shopping. by then you should know if you want a brighter image, or darker blacks, or both? do you want a smoother texture, wide viewing angles, etc. until you actually know what you want, it's a total shot in the dark. and good screens aren't cheap

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #36 of 36 Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

To very economically get an idea what a screen would look like, get a section of "blackout cloth" from a fabric store. This is heavy white cloth used inside motel curtains to make light completely go away.

Though our walls were light cream, the picture still looked better on the cloth (though it is only like 36" wide, so not all of our picture, in the end, fit on the cloth.

Glen

Whatever is not nailed down, is mine.
Whatever I can pry loose... is not nailed down!

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page