Digital projection cine 1000 led discussion - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #241 of 325 Old 07-01-2014, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks Seegs. I have read quite a number of your posts and have followed much of your journey. The similarities (albeit with less projectors on my part!) lead me to value your views and opinions highly. To this day, I remain a DLP fan despite the less than desirable blacks but I can be changed.

The ANSI contrast is something I like about the decent DLPs also.

The only issue that I'm going to have is seeing one of these in the flesh as there are no units on display anywhere near me at this point.

Sorry for taking this thread in a different direction. I still remain genuinely interested in the Cine 1000.

Last edited by seanoo; 07-01-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 325 Old 07-01-2014, 08:48 PM

How Does Brightness Compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Well, for me, its the best of both worlds. I was always used to a JVC paired with a cheaper dlp. When I got the DPI LED, I immediately noticed the difference from a cheap dlp. I have the shorter throw DPI LED, which is close to the throw of the JVC, so I could get a good size image with both projectors. I watch the DPI the majority of the time. Its not all because its LED. My HT is an all black velvet room with a 120in Carada 1.0 gain screen. I tried to make it as close as possible to a reference theater, along with my 7.3 audio setup. I actually set my theater up for anticipation of a 4K JVC. When I first watched a movie on the DPI LED, I noticed how sharp it was, then the Darbee made it look wonderful. The Darbee works better on the DPI than the JVC. The colors were great and motion was excellent. I was set on not getting a JVC this year because of how good the DPI looked. It was easy to calibrate too.

I prefer the DPI for HDTV. I feel like DLPs just handle HDTV better than LCOS IMO. Maybe its just me, but I prefer a DLP, especially something as sharp as the DPI LED.

For gaming, the DPI LED, I think most would assume this. Plus, I tend to play PS4 with my family and friends for hours and there is nothing like a quiet LED projector.

I use my HTPC with the DPI LED, I get so many emails for work and while I'm at home I just turn the DPI on and check them. Browse the internet, youtube, etc.

I only bough the JVC RS49/X500 for movies and thats its strong point. I remember watching the recent Star Trek movie when I got the DPI LED and the fades to black were great and the DI on it works excellent. Pacific Rim and Oblivion just looked amazing and so sharp. But in the back of my mind I always wondered how the JVC will look with this movies. So, I just had to get the JVC. The blacks were very acceptable on the DPI and I didn't miss the JVCs I had because the blacks were not the blacks that I saw on a CRT. These JVCs with the DI looked amazing and the side by side with the DPI on Pacific Rim looked much better on the JVC. I was surprised because I was so satisfied with the DPI. Then I watch Oblivion. I know the JVC would look better, but I actually preferred it on the DPI, just looked different and better. I compared the most recent Riddick and the JVC's blacks were so good, that the DPI could not hang. But if I watched something that not as dark like Man of Steel or Iron Man, the sharpness and clarity looks better on the DPI. I love the LOTRs and they just look better to me on the DPI. I watched the first Hobbit movie on the DPI and it was great, I watched the second on both and preferred the DPI LED.

So, my conclusion is the DPI LED is the projector I could live with if I had to choose only one. I know many use there projectors for mainly movies, and a JVC will probably be the winner if just for movies. I tend to watch the majority of my movies on the JVC. But not all movies are dark movies. Of course watching something like Gravity, Insidious, or Sci Fi movies will look good on the DPI LED with the DI engaged but on the JVC they will look great. If something does movies less than 50%, hands down a DPI LED. There is so much more than just movies going on in my theater that a JVC needs a partner.

Hi Blee1020, just wondering if you could possibly shed some light on how the brightness compares between the Cine LED and the JVC? I'm interested in perceived brightness -i.e. how it looks to the eye rather than measured lumens. Have you also noticed much of a drop in brightness on the JVC as the lamp ages past 500hrs (if you've made it this far)?

Thanks
Sean
post #243 of 325 Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I have about 70hrs on my jvc and 900 on my DPI LED. I have the 600 lumen DPI LED and the last time I measured the light output it was 575 lumens. I'm using a 120in 1.0 gain screen and I have no problem with the brightness. Works perfectly in my black velvet HT. The JVC can get much brighter in high lamp with the iris open but I have grown accustomed to a lower ftL than I had before. I used to use a HP screen but now I don't need it anymore, both projectors give me acceptable brightness. The LED do appear brighter than measured, and of course it has beautiful colors and great sharpness.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #244 of 325 Old 07-01-2014, 09:40 PM

Thank you
post #245 of 325 Old 07-04-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 528
The open box 1000 LED has now been sold.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #246 of 325 Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 396
very nice, i'm sure someone is going to be enjoying it quite a bit. There is definitely a certain look that the DLP's have, especially with mix-contrast scenes.

Did the 1000 have a DC3 or a DC4? I recently updated my Planar 8130 (DC2+) to a DC4 and it looks excellent.
post #247 of 325 Old 07-04-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The open box 1000 LED has now been sold.
Can't wait for it to arrive

Has anyone used a Darbee with this projector?
post #248 of 325 Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

there's only a handful of owners who post, not sure how many responses you will get. The Planar/Runco .95 UHP projectors are basically the same PQ. As sharp as they are, the darbee is still a nice addition when used in moderation. HD 30 setting is a good start.
post #249 of 325 Old 07-04-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
very nice, i'm sure someone is going to be enjoying it quite a bit. There is definitely a certain look that the DLP's have, especially with mix-contrast scenes.

Did the 1000 have a DC3 or a DC4? I recently updated my Planar 8130 (DC2+) to a DC4 and it looks excellent.
I never seen it posted anywhere about it but the Runco or the SIM 50 states it uses DC4, not sure which one, but they are supposed to be clones. If they are, I would think they should use the same parts.
post #250 of 325 Old 07-04-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
there's only a handful of owners who post, not sure how many responses you will get. The Planar/Runco .95 UHP projectors are basically the same PQ. As sharp as they are, the darbee is still a nice addition when used in moderation. HD 30 setting is a good start.
+1

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #251 of 325 Old 07-04-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I never seen it posted anywhere about it but the Runco or the SIM 50 states it uses DC4, not sure which one, but they are supposed to be clones. If they are, I would think they should use the same parts.

The Mico 50 (as well as the TruVue Vango) and the Runco (as well as yours and this DP model) are totally different projectors. The Mico 50 light engine is from Chi Lin and the Runco/DP light engine clones are made by Delta. I suspect most of these models to be using a DC4 DMD but there's no way to be sure unless they otherwise explicitly state it. The contrast difference between DC3 and DC4 is actually a lot less than most think.
post #252 of 325 Old 07-04-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post

Let me know if you want to add a Darbee to the order.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #253 of 325 Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I have the same projector and use it on a 10' wide scope screen with an ISCO III. I think your going to be very happy with it. I chose it over the Sony 4K projectors.

You don't need the Darbee unit but it's a nice addition; I use one. I have it set at HD 35 most of time.
post #254 of 325 Old 07-04-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
I have the same projector and use it on a 10' wide scope screen with an ISCO III. I think your going to be very happy with it. I chose it over the Sony 4K projectors.

You don't need the Darbee unit but it's a nice addition; I use one. I have it set at HD 35 most of time.
I was debating between the same options. No worries of burning through bulbs with this unit. The 4k picture on the Sony was fantastic but the available content is so limited. The open box price was the clincher for me. I'll probably add the Oppo Darbee to further improve the image quality.
post #255 of 325 Old 07-07-2014, 04:43 PM

Since the LED projectors have lower light output, would a high gain screen such as the Videomatte 200 be a good or bad idea? I'm a newbie at all of this but I would think you might have issues with hot spotting with the high gain screen. Please correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong.
post #256 of 325 Old 07-07-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Since the LED projectors have lower light output, would a high gain screen such as the Videomatte 200 be a good or bad idea? I'm a newbie at all of this but I would think you might have issues with hot spotting with the high gain screen. Please correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong.
If you are still talking 120" or less, you do not need high gain. 1.3 gain will be plenty. If you go down to 110" as discussed, then 1.1 gain is plenty.

post #257 of 325 Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
I have a microperfed 133" diagonal Studiotek 130 with an effective gain of about 1.1. In my, albeit light-controlled room, there are plenty of lumens.

David

DES
post #258 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
David: Since you swapped from the Highlite Cine 260 (right?), did you say the 1000 was brighter? Or close? Measured or perceived? Of the clones I've tested, none have been anywhere near the brightness of my 260.
post #259 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
David: Since you swapped from the Highlite Cine 260 (right?), did you say the 1000 was brighter? Or close? Measured or perceived? Of the clones I've tested, none have been anywhere near the brightness of my 260.
I didn't measure. But my perceived brightness seems equivalent. The issue for me is that we used it as our TV. We really racked up the hours and there was perceptible dimming. I ran it and had it calibrated in economy mode. A few months later I ran it at full power. When that began to dim, I looked for an alternative. I have to say that I'm delighted with the picture. Of course, I have a completely light- controlled room with dark grayish-green walls and ceilings. At the suggestion of my installer, I had the soffit for the drop down screen painted black.
OTOH, if we only used the projector for movies or concerts, I would have kept the 260.
Make sense?
David
post #260 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
I didn't measure. But my perceived brightness seems equivalent. The issue for me is that we used it as our TV. We really racked up the hours and there was perceptible dimming. I ran it and had it calibrated in economy mode. A few months later I ran it at full power. When that began to dim, I looked for an alternative. I have to say that I'm delighted with the picture. Of course, I have a completely light- controlled room with dark grayish-green walls and ceilings. At the suggestion of my installer, I had the soffit for the drop down screen painted black.
OTOH, if we only used the projector for movies or concerts, I would have kept the 260.
Make sense?
David
Yes, thanks. I watch a lot of select Tivo'd TV on mine, too. Not all TV, but my wife and I's favorite shows anyway. As a dealer I got a cherry picked 260 and I've had an extremely good experience it. It has always run in economy mode, it's still on it's first bulb and I am at 2960 hours. I keep waiting for it to fail, but it's never even missed a strike. It may have a hard stop at 3000 hours, not sure, but will know soon LOL. 2 spare bulbs to go. On my 56" tall screen, I still measure 15.9ftl from the PJ (not counting screen gain). I was at about 23ftL in economy mode to start, IIRC. I have no complaints about it's brightness, although I do like the idea of LED. I also have been happy with it's implementation of dynamic black which the LED doesn't have AFAIK.

Just haven't found one that could match the 260 in brightness and overall image, and I've tested a few, latest being a Mico 150 which was noticeably dimmer. But I have not played with a DPI 1000 yet. Focus has been a concern on some of the other units I tested. An optical engineer I work with with my A-lens stuff was using the same unit I was testing on a job. He told me that one (not a DPI1000) had the light path wide open to eek out every photon and that made it harder (not possible) for the LED units to get uniform focus (sides and middle at same time). How's yours?

Did you say your LED was a little quieter than the 260? Mine in Economy mode isn't objectionable, but a little quieter would be OK.
post #261 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The LED models do have a dynamic black function, though it works slightly different. Instead of an aperture that opens and closes to dynamically change the amount of light that leaves the projector, the LEDs dim and brighten dynamically to do the same thing the aperture does. Then, just like dynamic black, dynamic gamma gets implemented to try and alleviate brightness compression artifacts.

I bought a Runco LS-10i, which is the same unit as your highlite 260 just in a different chassis and some intellectual property changes to the software. I've heard the dynamic iris on the Runco is better implemented compared to the DP 260. I'm pretty excited. This will be my first three chip DLP unit. I should have it next week!
post #262 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought I saw LS-12d, wow that would have been a good catch. the 3d must be insanely good on that model.
post #263 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't watch much 3D anyways. The LS-10i is the same as the LS-12i, just without 3D. 1500+ D65 lumens, awesome Konica Minolta lens, Runco's well implemented DI, 3 Chip DLP (no rainbows) with classic 3 chip color, great ANSI contrast and motion. Should be a lot of fun to check out.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-10-2014 at 03:56 PM.
post #264 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

are the panels adjustable if there is convergence? sounds exciting to see a 3 chip, the color should be excellent.
post #265 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The LED models do have a dynamic black function, though it works slightly different. Instead of an aperture that opens and closes to dynamically change the amount of light that leaves the projector, the LEDs dim and brighten dynamically to do the same thing the aperture does. Then, just like dynamic black, dynamic gamma gets implemented to try and alleviate brightness compression artifacts.

I bought a Runco LS-10i, which is the same unit as your highlite 260 just in a different chassis and some intellectual property changes to the software. I've heard the dynamic iris on the Runco is better implemented compared to the DP 260. I'm pretty excited. This will be my first three chip DLP unit. I should have it next week!

Nice - let us know all about it when you get it.

I wish I had an LED projector just for HDTV. Eventually I'm getting one. In the mean time, we still have one DPI LED projector available !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #266 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
are the panels adjustable if there is convergence? sounds exciting to see a 3 chip, the color should be excellent.
I'm not sure if it has one. Probably not. But from the 3 or 4 reviews I've read they've all praised the projector for having excellent convergence and sharpness from a 3-chip DLP. W. Jeff Meier from AccuCal said this after he calibrated one; "Optics on the machine were about as sharp as I have seen with a three chip DLP. Motion processing also appeared to be on par with many other projectors in this class." He also measured 4000:1 native contrast (DI off). A Greek review site took a close up of the pixel structure:

The saving grace if it's not stellar will be the upcoming MadVR convergence system. The developer says his implementation will be far better than what Sony or JVC and others have to offer currently for electronic misconvergence correction.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-10-2014 at 05:01 PM.
post #267 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
are the panels adjustable if there is convergence? .
No.
post #268 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Yes, they are identical except for roundcase-squarecase. I sell both. I have my doubts there is any difference to the software. Anyway, the DPI DI works fine for me, no complaints. So if the Runco is the same or better it should be fine. Not sure how Meier got 4000:1 w/o DI. The chipset isn't rated that high, IIRC it's 2000:1. Where these excel is at sequential CR and color. IMO. Convergence is a crap shoot, will vary by unit and is not adjustable. It may even fluctuate over time due to thermal issues and the way the chipsets are cemented. And it will typically vary over the image. That's one of the things that I find particularly attractive for the LED's, perfect convergence, by definition. Add good optics and you get a sharp image.
post #269 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
Yes, they are identical except for roundcase-squarecase. I sell both. I have my doubts there is any difference to the software. Anyway, the DPI DI works fine for me, no complaints. So if the Runco is the same or better it should be fine. Not sure how Meier got 4000:1 w/o DI. The chipset isn't rated that high, IIRC it's 2000:1. Where these excel is at sequential CR and color. IMO. Convergence is a crap shoot, will vary by unit and is not adjustable. It may even fluctuate over time due to thermal issues and the way the chipsets are cemented. And it will typically vary over the image. That's one of the things that I find particularly attractive for the LED's, perfect convergence, by definition. Add good optics and you get a sharp image.
Jeff was using the long throw lens. Those lenses are typically better with contrast. Sound and Vision got about 3000:1 with the stock lens which is the lens mine has. I'll measure with my Minolta CL-200 when it arrives on Wednesday. The unit only has 50 hours on it. From what I've read these are specialty .65" DMDs that were designated as "DC4" by some as they are graded and the top performing DMDs TI makes at this size. Though, I believe contrast is more affected by the light path and optics than what TI states is typical. Look at Sim2. They're able to achieve 7000:1 native contrast at full brightness with their Lumis line when TI specs the DC4 DMD to be much lower. It is possible Runco has added a few tweaks to the Delta OEM design to boost contrast over the HighLite 260? They've done things like this in the past. As far as differences in "software" I meant more along the lines of color management and dynamic iris algorithms which are intellectual properties (unless using a stock implementation, which I doubt either company uses) and will vary on units even if the hardware is the same. For example I've owned the Runco Q750i, Vivitek H9080FD, and the NuVision ProVu P2. All are the same projector internally but the DI implementation each varied in performance with the Runco taking the cake on visibility and transparency. It just seemed more well rounded of the three.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-10-2014 at 08:04 PM.
post #270 of 325 Old 07-10-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

interesting I would have thought .95 at that original MSRP, what is the next major step up, the D73-d?

besides the intense light output / guaranteed no RBE, what is the major advantage over the single panel .95 models?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Digital Projection

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page