Projector with white cover concern - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone regretted purchasing a projector with a white cover? I'm considering an Epson 5020UB but have concerns regarding the white cover. The projector will be ceiling mounted pretty flush to a 7' ceiling. Ceiling is painted black and room lighting is dimmable. Most seating will be behind the projector. My concern is how distracting the projector will be in the periphery what with the white cover. Can the cover be removed and painted?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Why not just get the 6020. same projector but black. It's more expensive but comes with addons which negate the increase. also you have to buy from a dealer so you can negotiate the price down.

With the new models released soon you should be able to get a good deal on the 6020.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #3 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

At the price of the 6020 up here in Canada I think I'd be better off getting the Sony HW50es. In either case it's more than I'd like to spend.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 147
You could paint the cover but it would probably void the warranty. I would instead just cover it in some type of light felt and a temporary bonding method if it bothers you, of course leaving ehe fan intakes and exhaust uncovered.

Did you rule out a JVC RS-45 refurb?
They are going for $1,725 at the Ebay Store when you can grab one, and they come with a full MFR 2-yr warranty.
It's better at everything over the 5020 except gaming lag (not that much worse) and 3D viewing (worse).

There is also a new RS-46 which is better at 3D than the RS-45, but definitely costing more than the Epson overall.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

You could paint the cover but it would probably void the warranty. I would instead just cover it in some type of light felt and a temporary bonding method if it bothers you, of course leaving ehe fan intakes and exhaust uncovered.

Did you rule out a JVC RS-45 refurb?
They are going for $1,725 at the Ebay Store when you can grab one, and they come with a full MFR 2-yr warranty.
It's better at everything over the 5020 except gaming lag (not that much worse) and 3D viewing (worse).

There is also a new RS-46 which is better at 3D than the RS-45, but definitely costing more than the Epson overall.

Not as bright, either (unless we get into color correct brightness).

- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #6 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 934
i used to have a white projector, and it never made any difference for me. it was mounted above/behind my last row of seating, and my roof was white though, haha.

you could always build a 'hush box' or something to hide it. but when you end up spending more to hide/cover it, maybe the 6020 or a jvc makes more sense. pay for performance or extra bulbs instead of cosmetic fixes.

i don't know what prices you've been quoted, but the best i found for the 5020 and x35 had the jvc being 500bux more expensive, but it came with an extra bulb, 3D emitter, and 2 pairs of glasses. i figured that made it really only about 200bux more, if i figured the bulb was worth 300(the epson came with glasses too, so i put no value on those)

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #7 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Fierce: If I was to get a white projector it would be in front of most seating. With the black ceiling and the lights dimmed I just wonder how much the white is going to stand out and distract. I could be over-analyzing this

As for JVC, Ebay or anywhere in the US really doesn't work for me. No warranty up here as well as adding cost of shipping and exchange rate on the dollar and it's not worth it. Aside from that i'm not really inclined on getting JVC. I really want the Sony but it's more than I'd like to spend. As Fierce knows I was going to get the Benq w1070 as my first projector but have been thinking about getting something better. I like the warranty of the Epson, especially the 2 day replacment and the lamp life spec. The projector will be used a lot.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

Fierce: If I was to get a white projector it would be in front of most seating. With the black ceiling and the lights dimmed I just wonder how much the white is going to stand out and distract. I could be over-analyzing this

As for JVC, Ebay or anywhere in the US really doesn't work for me. No warranty up here as well as adding cost of shipping and exchange rate on the dollar and it's not worth it. Aside from that i'm not really inclined on getting JVC. I really want the Sony but it's more than I'd like to spend. As Fierce knows I was going to get the Benq w1070 as my first projector but have been thinking about getting something better. I like the warranty of the Epson, especially the 2 day replacment and the lamp life spec. The projector will be used a lot.

Out of curiosity, how much are dealers asking for the 6020 up there?

- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #9 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I've seen $3600 and maybe it can be had for a bit less. I've only done limited searching for that model. From what I gather the 5020 is like $1000 cheaper.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

That's about the same as here. They will be willing to drop it a little more, especially as the new ones come out.

The extra money includes a bulb and a ceiling Mount and an extra year of warranty, along with the 3d glasses.if you really want it you should wait until end of September when the new ones are released, and pick up a 6020 on discount. That's what I would do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #11 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

I don't see any value in getting the 6020. The 5020 comes with glasses so really you get the lamp and 1 more year warranty for the extra $1000. I don't need the mount as I already have one. The lamp is like $250 and I likely won't need one for a couple of years. The Sony comes with a free lamp and 2 glasses so if I was going to spend that much on a projector I'd get it rather that the 6020. But again it's $1000 more that I'd like to spend. Even the 5020 is more than I originally was going to spend but I think the benefits of going to that level of projector may be worth it.

Aside from the above, this thread wasn't about what to get but rather more about the possible distraction a white cover projector has against a dark ceiling in a light controlled room with the projector in front of most seating. I'm hoping others chime in with their thoughts and experience in similar conditions.

Thanks
post #12 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

how high will the projector be compared to the screen?

honestly, i'm guessing it'll be a very minor issue, unless it's literally the only thing in the room not covered in black velvet, haha. i'd definitely choose a black case over a white one if possible. but i'd agree it's probably not worth the extra expense for the 6020 if that's the only thing that appeals to you in the upgrade, and you can't get a great deal on one(under 3k for sure)

the other thing you could look into is plasti dip. i'm not sure if it's suitable for this application, but it seems like it might be, and it's supposed to be fairly easy to remove if you ever did need to use warranty.

btw, i'm from Winnipeg, so I know all about the hassles of shopping Canadian wink.gif it's too bad the sony isn't carried by more distributors. it's MSRP isn't that far off the x35, but the street prices I could find were about 600-700 more

post #13 of 20 Old 08-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

I don't see any value in getting the 6020. The 5020 comes with glasses so really you get the lamp and 1 more year warranty for the extra $1000. I don't need the mount as I already have one. The lamp is like $250 and I likely won't need one for a couple of years. The Sony comes with a free lamp and 2 glasses so if I was going to spend that much on a projector I'd get it rather that the 6020. But again it's $1000 more that I'd like to spend. Even the 5020 is more than I originally was going to spend but I think the benefits of going to that level of projector may be worth it.

Aside from the above, this thread wasn't about what to get but rather more about the possible distraction a white cover projector has against a dark ceiling in a light controlled room with the projector in front of most seating. I'm hoping others chime in with their thoughts and experience in similar conditions.

Thanks

Apologies and I totally get it. Good luck with your choice.

- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #14 of 20 Old 08-12-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

The screen will be like 9" from the ceiling. The projector will likely be at 9" from the ceiling as well. The ceiling is only 7' high. The projector will bascally be the only thing in the room that is light coloured. The w1070 isn't black but it's not white either and I was going to get that so not really sure I should be that concerned about the 5020. Hmm..........
post #15 of 20 Old 08-12-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 393
I blacked out my ceiling about 6 months ago. A white projector the size of the 5020 that was located within my field of view would definitely be distracting to me.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

i don't know what to say. i THINK if the projector is within about 3-4ft from seating positions it would be high enough it wouldn't bother me. but there's only one way to know for sure. on the other hand, i've never even considered the option of having the projector mounted in front of me just in case it did.

if it were me, and i was set on the performance and features of the 5020 and the only issue was it being white, i think i'd go for it. if it did bother me, i'd either make a cover for it(the front and back are already black, so venting shouldn't be a big issue since you can leave the entire back and front open) or try the plasti dip stuff on the white case.

post #17 of 20 Old 08-12-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Just when I thought there was nothing left to stress over in regards to this projector project it's back. Haha!! I hear what Zombie is saying and kind of concur with what Fierce says. Decisions, decisions.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-13-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 368
IMO, while this is potentially distracting, there are solutions which are between free and cheap which allow you to cover up the white if it does bug you.

This really means that you should just get the projector and call it a day. You will be happy with the image quality, and if you want it dark, then go with one of a hundred solutions. Simply wrapping it with black velvet may be plenty to leave you very happy with what you have. A bit more care, and a box could be built around it painted black, or some other accent could be made for it to help hide it away.

I haven't quite figured it all out with my W1070, but I just built a lift for it for a couple hundred bucks and I can definitely black out the projector if I want to at this point, so I can promise you - there are options, and they don't have to be very expensive at all.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #19 of 20 Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well, what do you know. The 6020 may be a possibility. I'll let you know in a few days. Thanks AV for your thoughts.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM

call epson and ask them if painting the cover cancels the warranty?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page