Epson 6020,Sony 50es help me decide!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ive been looking at the Epson 6020,the Sony 50es & Panny 8000,ive eliminated the Panny too many problems.Now cant decide between the Sony or Epson,but with the new hd 2000k or 4000k whatever its called should I wait? Projectors in the new format like the 25,000.00 sony will be out of my price range for a long time I think,besides we have to get blu-rays recorded in 2k or 4k & I dont want to change formats again.Would it be better to wait or go with the epson ,sony Im sure the new hd projectors & players will up-convert reg. blu-rays to uhd. sorry for the thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

Ive been looking at the Epson 6020,the Sony 50es & Panny 8000,ive eliminated the Panny too many problems.Now cant decide between the Sony or Epson,but with the new hd 2000k or 4000k whatever its called should I wait? Projectors in the new format like the 25,000.00 sony will be out of my price range for a long time I think,besides we have to get blu-rays recorded in 2k or 4k & I dont want to change formats again.Would it be better to wait or go with the epson ,sony Im sure the new hd projectors & players will up-convert reg. blu-rays to uhd. sorry for the thread!

The Epson 6020, and the virtually identical 5020UB (except for cabinet color), are good projectors for the money as is the Sony HW50ES. Projector Reviews in their reviews of the 5020UB and the HW50ES gave a slight edge to the Sony in some performance areas however, in the "Best Home Theater Projectors Report - 2013 " they were tied for the best in the $2K to $3.5K class. Both projectors have their pros and cons while the HW50ES is priced about $1K more than the 5020UB, but closer to the price of the 6020UB, which includes a ceiling mount and a spare lamp that are not included with the 5020UB or the HW50ES. So the best price comparison is probably between the 5020UB and the HW50ES. Both the 5020UB and the HW50ES are expected to be replaced with new models this fall (probably the 5030UB and the HW55ES). However, 4K Ultra HD projectors are only expected to fall to the $12K (MSRP) price range for 2014 and it will probably be several years before we see 4K UHD projectors in the sub-$5K price range.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks,i looked at the 5020 but hate the white cabinet silly i know black is better but for xtra 1000.00 maybe not,the spare bulb,mount & warranty is nice.
post #4 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Go with the Sony HW50ES and don't look back. Overall it's a much nicer product over the Epson. There are very few reasons I'd recommend the Epson over the Sony unless your budget is very tight. Give Mike or Craig at AVScience a call for a great price.
post #5 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Go with the Sony HW50ES and don't look back. Overall it's a much nicer product over the Epson. There are very few reasons I'd recommend the Epson over the Sony unless your budget is very tight. Give Mike or Craig at AVScience a call for a great price.

Trust Seegs108 and give the guys at AVS a call, I just received my projector HW50 (thanks Mike) an hour ago. One word WOW!!!!!!!, this is my first projector but the picture on a white wall with no ambient light control is WOW. I can't image the how its going to look after my theater build.
post #6 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53

They are both very good projectors and each has its advantages and disadvantages.  First does your projector need to fit in a certain area?  Make sure that the projector will fit for the size screen and how far you plan to place it from the screen.  Are you ceiling mounting or shelf mounting?  If the projector is going to be placed higher (or lower) than the screen how much higher (or lower)?  In a nutshell the Epson has a greater zoom range and more lens shift so it can be placed higher (or lower) than the Sony.

How are you going to use your projector mostly?  In the dark, entertaining with ambient light, some light etc.?  Many of use our projectors in a variety of these conditions but which are most important to you.  Do like to watch most in the dark or dimly lit area or are you going to have friends over for the game and have a fair amount of lights on/  The Sony is brighter in its best picture quality mode and gives a better picture than the Epson.  However, if you are watching with ambient light the Epson is significantly brighter in its brighter modes and will look better and overcome the ambient light better than the Sony.

Is 3D a serious concern?  Epson wins for 3D and Sony for 2D.  The average person would probably be thrilled with either of these but you should look to get the one that is best for your situation.

post #7 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
FYI the Sony does come with a spare bulb and 2 pair of 3D glasses. As mentioned, call Mike on AVS for prices and ask him for his impressions of both.
post #8 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 12
I just got the Epson 5020 installed today very happy but only one day of experience with it so far. Picture and color are pretty amazing I opted to save $1000 I was choosing between the sony and epson also but I took the extra saved money and made my room darker and got a better screen. I saw the Sony also both seemed great I don't think you can go wrong. Posted screen shots if you want to see.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1479760/build-me-a-projector-setup
post #9 of 38 Old 08-14-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks everyone,I have a Panasonic 4000 in a very dark room no light at all. The Panny is ceiling mounted,i was wanting to go with 3d thought it would be fun some of the time.My one concern is selling the 4000 and loosing so much money on it,but that happens when you sell something used!
post #10 of 38 Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just ordered the Epson 6020ub today! hope its as good as the reviews!
post #11 of 38 Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

I just ordered the Epson 6020ub today! hope its as good as the reviews!

Care to explain what pushed you in the direction of the 6020 vs the 50ES? I won't beat you up over it...but like to see why people choose what they choose.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #12 of 38 Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

it was available in my area,well 50 miles away,going to pick it up saturday.Also i got it for a good price.When I get a projector its a guessing game,nowhere in my area has a set up that i can watch a projector,but the store told me they would take it back if I hated it.No offence to Sony but there customer service suxs.If I keep the Epson im going to have to sell my Panny 4000 and loose $$ on it but thats what happen when you sell used gear.ps i like the automatic lens cover!!!
post #13 of 38 Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

it was available in my area,well 50 miles away,going to pick it up saturday.Also i got it for a good price.When I get a projector its a guessing game,nowhere in my area has a set up that i can watch a projector,but the store told me they would take it back if I hated it.No offence to Sony but there customer service suxs.If I keep the Epson im going to have to sell my Panny 4000 and loose $$ on it but thats what happen when you sell used gear.ps i like the automatic lens cover!!!

I know one place near by where you can view a projector. I currently have a JVC, Marantz and a Planar. This fall/winter I will be getting one of the newer projectors (yet to be determined).

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #14 of 38 Old 08-17-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All that with a beautiful view of the lake,the narrows? Sounds like a great system!!
post #15 of 38 Old 08-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

One thing I'd suggest, if you're mounting the pj within a few feet over your head, check out the almost constant noise it makes with the variable iris. I couldn't bear it with the pj 2.5 ft over my head.
post #16 of 38 Old 08-17-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My panny projector is mounted right over my head running on high fan mode,ive got use to the fan noise.
post #17 of 38 Old 08-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

It's not the fan on the Epson, it's the variable iris. It's not a steady sound you get used to but an almost continually variable sound. Might not bother you at all.
post #18 of 38 Old 08-18-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks,im about 1/2 deaf at my old age so maybe I wont hear it!
post #19 of 38 Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

Care to explain what pushed you in the direction of the 6020 vs the 50ES? I won't beat you up over it...but like to see why people choose what they choose.

I bought the 3010 and looking to upgrade to the 5020. The reason being I can't live without built in wireless. Not having to run 40ft of thick cord is awsome. Then the fact that it's way brighter than the Sony which is required for my 08-85 screen especially for 3D and ambient viewing. No need to calibrate in ambient light since you won't see a difference giving the Epson ~900 more lumens or 50% brighter according to two different reviews, almost like stacking another Sony. The bulb lasts longer and in low light makes no noise at all and still brighter than the Sony. Plus, it equaled the Sony in reviews but is $1000 cheaper. It's no contest for my requirements.
post #20 of 38 Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

like I said I dont care for sonys customer service,they do make great products my wife is using a 12 y/o sony receiver.I liked the way the Epson looked warrenty and reviews,just now getting it hooked up,bad back it takes me a long time!
post #21 of 38 Old 08-20-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post

I bought the 3010 and looking to upgrade to the 5020. The reason being I can't live without built in wireless. Not having to run 40ft of thick cord is awsome. Then the fact that it's way brighter than the Sony which is required for my 08-85 screen especially for 3D and ambient viewing. No need to calibrate in ambient light since you won't see a difference giving the Epson ~900 more lumens or 50% brighter according to two different reviews, almost like stacking another Sony. The bulb lasts longer and in low light makes no noise at all and still brighter than the Sony. Plus, it equaled the Sony in reviews but is $1000 cheaper. It's no contest for my requirements.

For brightness it depends on which mode you use the projector in. Dynamic the Epson easily wins. In calibrated best image mode the Sony easily wins. Here is a third party review from the same guy:

Sony HW50ES, best image mode, mid zoom, high lamp, 992 lumens: http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/hw50es/performance.php#bright
Epson 5020, best image mode, mid zoom, high lamp, 678 lumens: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-5020/performance.php#bright
projectorreview likes this.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #22 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 AM

old
post #23 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

For brightness it depends on which mode you use the projector in. Dynamic the Epson easily wins. In calibrated best image mode the Sony easily wins. Here is a third party review from the same guy:

Sony HW50ES, best image mode, mid zoom, high lamp, 992 lumens: http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/hw50es/performance.php#bright
Epson 5020, best image mode, mid zoom, high lamp, 678 lumens: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-5020/performance.php#bright

I did state that for specific application, some do not require the projector to be calibrated for best color all the time since most viewing is in ambient light and with a light absorbing screen, the extra lumens is a requirement, not an option. In this case it's 50% brighter possibly more when using 3D as it defaults to brightest mode which looks every bit as good over calibrated to my eyes. Plus, I don't think you will see a difference between brightest mode and best mode in ambient light on this screen. All my collectors movies are in 3D. Add to the fact that the Epson is $1000 cheaper, has wireless and a much longer lasting bulb especially in low light, I think it's a better value for those who can take advantage of the strengths and features. I'm not saying that the Sony is bad, but just answering your question as to why some people would prefer the Epson over the Sony. Anyone know a better place to shop for a 5020 than Amazon?
post #24 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDextreme View Post

I just got the Epson 5020 installed today very happy but only one day of experience with it so far. Picture and color are pretty amazing I opted to save $1000 I was choosing between the sony and epson also but I took the extra saved money and made my room darker and got a better screen. I saw the Sony also both seemed great I don't think you can go wrong. Posted screen shots if you want to see.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1479760/build-me-a-projector-setup

What do you find that is amazing about the picture and colors?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #25 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post

I did state that for specific application, some do not require the projector to be calibrated for best color all the time since most viewing is in ambient light and with a light absorbing screen, the extra lumens is a requirement, not an option. In this case it's 50% brighter possibly more when using 3D as it defaults to brightest mode which looks every bit as good over calibrated to my eyes. Plus, I don't think you will see a difference between brightest mode and best mode in ambient light on this screen. All my collectors movies are in 3D. Add to the fact that the Epson is $1000 cheaper, has wireless and a much longer lasting bulb especially in low light, I think it's a better value for those who can take advantage of the strengths and features. I'm not saying that the Sony is bad, but just answering your question as to why some people would prefer the Epson over the Sony. Anyone know a better place to shop for a 5020 than Amazon?

Each projector has it's own strengths and weaknesses. In your case it sounds like the Epson is the projector for you. As far as Epson's price. Epson sets the selling price for their projectors. All dealers, we included, are required to sell the 5020 for $2,599. The dealer can decide to include shipping or not. All dealers seem to include shipping. Epson does this so that you base your buying decision on working with the dealer that you want. One that you feel comfortable doing business with.

post #26 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

What do you find that is amazing about the picture and colors?

Colors looked great right out of the box and picture is pretty sharp. I thought the epson colors pop more where the sony looked more film like and did seem to have better motion. I do have a darbee in the chain so I think that really helps the epson.
post #27 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Thanks for the clarification. I am always perplexed when someone says x is amazing about a particular projector. All of the major brands make good projectors. Its all relative with things being a little better in some regards and not as good with respect to others. but nothing is really amazing. They are all good. regarding colors poping it all depends on the machine and how its calibrated. If the saturation is set a little high, one may pop. But the real test is to calibrate so that is correct but then again if one wants pop one can set it to pop. It might be a little wrong but its the way you like it and that is all that counts. Enjoy your purchase and have fun.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #28 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 PM

I think they all are amazing as far as the big name brands, so far I've seen at a local hifi house what I guess you can call the big 3 (Sony 50es, epson 5020 and Jvc x-35) and they were all calibrated according the salesmen. Amazing for me though is I came from a Mitsu 73" and I'm amazed that these projectors put out just as good of a picture or probably better at such a big size. I wish I would have explored earlier with projection. There is something about the color of the Epson that just took me but again they are all awesome and I got to see the $25k Sony 4K with the same Star Trek bluray scene I watched with the other projectors and I thought with my eyes that the Espon, Sony and JVC looked just as good.... maybe I'm crazy but the salesmen said the same thing.
post #29 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDextreme View Post

I think they all are amazing as far as the big name brands, so far I've seen at a local hifi house what I guess you can call the big 3 (Sony 50es, epson 5020 and Jvc x-35) and they were all calibrated according the salesmen. Amazing for me though is I came from a Mitsu 73" and I'm amazed that these projectors put out just as good of a picture or probably better at such a big size. I wish I would have explored earlier with projection. There is something about the color of the Epson that just took me but again they are all awesome and I got to see the $25k Sony 4K with the same Star Trek bluray scene I watched with the other projectors and I thought with my eyes that the Espon, Sony and JVC looked just as good.... maybe I'm crazy but the salesmen said the same thing.

It takes awhile for what I call the "wow" factor to wear off and it's then you start to appreciate each projectors strengths or weaknesses. You would need to spend a good 20-30 hours with each unit viewing a diverse amount of content to figure out which one you like best. As Mark put it, they all look great and they do, but once you spend enough time with each you'll see why the Sony 4K machine costs so much and the same can be said of most higher cost projectors.
post #30 of 38 Old 08-21-2013, 05:47 PM

I understand completely and agree 100% but who gets to test each unit for 20-30hrs for each projector you really have to demo them somewhere if that's even possible and make a decision unless you go through the hassle of returning or possibly re-buying which one you really like and me personally would probably go nuts. So we have to usually make a decision on what we see and read. Even though I am very new with projectors I agree what most are saying and you are saying that they all look great as far as the big brands that everyone talk about.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page