NEW RANGE JVC 2014 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Hahaha they are trying so hard to call it something other than dynamic iris. Even their explination of it tries to make it sound like it's something that it isn't. This a only a good thing if it's implemented well. Many projectors incorporate a DI system that is basically useless because the software behind the device is horrible. Lets hope this isn't a gimmicky feature and one that can be enabled 100% of the time.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Hahaha they are trying so hard to call it something other than dynamic iris. Even their explination of it tries to make it sound like it's something that it isn't. This a only a good thing if it's implemented well. Many projectors incorporate a DI system that is basically useless because the software behind the device is horrible. Lets hope this isn't a gimmicky feature and one that can be enabled 100% of the time.

Yeah, it's sort of disheartening that in virtually every professional review of a projector with a dynamic iris, the reviewer ends up choosing to turn it off. Not promising.

Are there any projectors whose DI implementation users here have found acceptable?

As I mentioned, I had a Panasonic projector with a DI that I never noticed in action, though I don't think I was being too critical at that point.
post #273 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yeah, it's sort of disheartening that in virtually every professional review of a projector with a dynamic iris, the reviewer ends up choosing to turn it off. Not promising.

Are there any projectors whose DI implementation users here have found acceptable?

As I mentioned, I had a Panasonic projector with a DI that I never noticed in action, though I don't think I was being too critical at that point.

ONLY Sony from my experience. Their DI is damn near flawless. Chance of JVC getting it right the first time is virtually 0.
post #274 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
A DI sounds like a nice addition to the JVC line....that said I will want to see how well it is implemented [EDIT: I see I'm not the only one wondering about this].
I'm also curious about eshift3....I was one of a handful of folks hat thought eShift 2 was a step backwards over eShift1....hopefully version 3 works better than either previous version.
Still too many unknowns for me just yet to make an upgrade decision but it's still early...

Geof
post #275 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Planar/Runco, Sony, Sim2, those are ones I've remembered seeing people say they're good. I know I have the DI on on my Planar 8150, and it never calls attention to itself.

I don't see any reason to expect JVC to be worse than any of the above. It's not like DI's are only good on $20k+ machines or something, Sony can manage a good DI on their "midrange" machine, JVC should be able to on their similarly priced (or more expensive) machines.

Of course we can't really expect it to be good either, we'll have to see if they just tossed it on last minute, or if they've been spending a few years perfecting it with their exceptional native contrast.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #276 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Interesting quote from CNET:

JVC claims the Intelligent Lens Aperture produces deeper blacks while maintaining white levels and is "superior to what's delivered by competing projectors using a dynamic iris".

So that begs the question; how is this different from a DI?

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #277 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

A DI sounds like a nice addition to the JVC line....that said I will want to see how well it is implemented [EDIT: I see I'm not the only one wondering about this].
I'm also curious about eshift3....I was one of a handful of folks hat thought eShift 2 was a step backwards over eShift1....hopefully version 3 works better than either previous version.
Still too many unknowns for me just yet to make an upgrade decision but it's still early...
Same here. Here's hoping we can get some expert feedback on the DI's performance before the preorder pricing has come and gone. Like you, my buying decision primarily hinges on the DI's reported performance -- although my VW60's DI never really bothered me (and I'm not sure how good that projector's performance was considered).
post #278 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could someone please help me out with a question as it relates to the new dynamic Iris. I’m interested in upgrading this year and don’t understand how this effects the viewed image. I know it’s a bit off topic but I ask it here to get opinions from those that know the advantages of not having one.

I currently have a RS46 and its my first projector. Slowly over time I’ve added more and more black to my room to improve the perceived black level and contrast. Black screen wall, black carpet, black acoustical wall treatments and darker ceiling paint. What will I gain or lose in a space scene with black space and bright stars? Will it bring down the brightness of the stars as it brings down the black space? Will the black level rise during bright scenes as the iris opens? Whats the cost benifit of it?
post #279 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
With all these new processing features I doubt that they've improved on input lag figures...
post #280 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Interesting quote from CNET:

JVC claims the Intelligent Lens Aperture produces deeper blacks while maintaining white levels and is "superior to what's delivered by competing projectors using a dynamic iris".

So that begs the question; how is this different from a DI?

My best guess is that it's going to be a "normal" DI, and the reason why JVC considers it superior is simply because JVC has the highest *native* contrast.
post #281 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Wow this is impressive.

No mention of faster panels neither of support of HDMI 2.0
post #282 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 358
R. Power,

DIs open and close irises in response to the characteristics of the image being projected. If an iris closes, it will unfortunately cause the white to be less bright but DI systems tend to change the gamma to boost in white brightness. This depending on the boost, may clip the brightest whites. As to determining whether there is a net benefit in cost benefit numeric is not yet possible. It depend on how you perceive the operation of the DI on the picture. They all have some flaws and have visable artifacts but these are rarely visible or noticed by most. DI's will also have minor effects on the colors projected and will throw off calibrations to some extent. that said, I leave the DI on my Sony 1000ES. I never see artifacts or perceive incorrect colors. but that's me. I am working on a make believe that you can aim at your screen and get a numeric valuation of image quality. An IQ meter if you will. smile.gif When I finish the design and contract a Korean company to manufacturer it, I will direct my efforts towards developing a CB meter for thinks like a feature on a projector. This will unfortunately require considerable entry of data that the meter could not read. But stay tuned. Bottom line, you can turn it of and on at will. The features touted by JVC this year and expected pre order pricing should swing any pre order CB doubts.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #283 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 10:35 AM

Is the autocalibration function confirmed on all new models ?
post #284 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 11:20 AM

Si cetto...yes biggrin.gif
Not for the X35.
post #285 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Are these hdmi 2.0?
post #286 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

that said, I leave the DI on my Sony 1000ES. I never see artifacts or perceive incorrect colors. but that's me.

Mark,

How would you describe the difference in contrast (or otherwise) with your Sony's DI engaged vs turned off?

The contrast numbers jump usually associated with DIs sounds really impressive - JVC's numbers have their DI gaining a tenfold increase in contrast - but I'm wondering how this works out in practice.
(Since ultimately there is a limit put on by a projector's native contrast).

I'm particularly interested in deeper black levels because I have a black pit theater environment and though it works wonders for immersion and maintaining contrast, I am also aware of desiring even lower black levels. In fact, I've been particularly conscious of this recently, which is why my interest is so high in the new JVC projectors.
post #287 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 11:27 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks. A dynamic iris on a JVC is big news. I think JVC was running out of new features to promote and thought "why not."

Indeed. I don't really see how it can do anything but help sales for JVC. If it turns out that the DI doesn't work well according to the videophiles, you'll always have the option to turn it off and still have very high native contrast ratios. But for marketing purposes JVC can now compete with other manufacturers (who only ever post their DI contrast ratios) so that the more ignorant purchasers who only look at numbers will like JVC.

EDIT: I wouldn't put too much faith in anyone's first hand reports of the DI performance at CEDIA or other shows where JVC is in control. You can bet they'll pick source material that works well with their implementation of DI.

Kal
post #288 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply! I rarely find the need to ask the newbie questions. I’m still learning and was starting to get the impression that a DI was a free lunch. We all have our preferences and I went with a JVC because of the high contrast level. I guess I’ll have to wait with everyone else to hear how the AVS guys at CEDIA liked them.
post #289 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Yes, that it really is DI is certainly a surprise.

"A user-selectable Intelligent Lens Aperture produces deeper black levels while maintaining white levels that JVC said are superior to those produced by projectors equipped with a dynamic iris."

So they're sticking to heir guns and refusing it call it a DI.

Interesting that they seem to be claiming the impossible, i.e. closing an aperture but maintaining white level, but that could be as simple as not mentioning that that's only if the whites in the scene are below 100 IRE.

Whatever it is, let's hope that the reason it took so long was to realize a high performance level.

Noah
post #290 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suspect the inability to publish contrast levels in the realm of their competition and consequent lost sales forced them into doing it. I bet a bunch of them went to confession after the decision was made, even the non Catholecs. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #291 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

Indeed. I don't really see how it can do anything but help sales for JVC. If it turns out that the DI doesn't work well according to the videophiles, you'll always have the option to turn it off and still have very high native contrast ratios. But for marketing purposes JVC can now compete with other manufacturers (who only ever post their DI contrast ratios) so that the more ignorant purchasers who only look at numbers will like JVC.

EDIT: I wouldn't put too much faith in anyone's first hand reports of the DI performance at CEDIA or other shows where JVC is in control. You can bet they'll pick source material that works well with their implementation of DI.

Kal

My guess is that Darin finally got to them after his many years of explaining the advantages of a DI. smile.gif

I would be interested in if you could change the multiple factor or if it is set at 10x. One thing is for sure is that JVC is now close to if not better than CRT on/off cr. How many people are going to jump ship this year?biggrin.gif

JVC has been good in years past of letting people play with the remote and demo their own material. While it isn't the same as an extended review with calibration ala Kris Deering, you can still get a good feel for the performance. I know two years ago a group of us spent around 20(?) minutes examining the distance at which e-shift was noticeable by continually turning it on and off.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #292 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A DI on a JVC with already high native contrast would not need to operate very aggressively. This means that it can have a positive effect on on/off contrast without being very noticeable.

Of course, In mixed scenes with content at the edges of the projector's dynamic range, the projector has to make a choice: clip the whites, clip the blacks, or do nothing.

Affable Nitwit
post #293 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Like Ericglo mentioned above, I would love to know if the 10x multiplier can be dropped down?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #294 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mark,

How would you describe the difference in contrast (or otherwise) with your Sony's DI engaged vs turned off?

The contrast numbers jump usually associated with DIs sounds really impressive - JVC's numbers have their DI gaining a tenfold increase in contrast - but I'm wondering how this works out in practice.

I'm particularly interested in deeper black levels because I have a black pit theater environment and though it works wonders for immersion and maintaining contrast, I am also aware of desiring even lower black levels. In fact, I've been particularly conscious of this recently, which is why my interest is so high in the new JVC projectors.

I usually keep the Sony on Auto Iris 1. On what I spend most of the time watching, that is sports, I don't see that much difference in setting the iris to manual and setting at max to get more light. On dark movies, I just set it at auto 1 and watch. I never see artifacts so I just leave it on.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #295 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has there been any clarification if these have HDMI 2.0 inputs that handle HDCP 2.2?

If not, what would that mean for compatibility with the future 4K blu-ray? Or is it just too early to speculate about that?
post #296 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

JVC has been all about contrast performance for years, they know it's their bread and butter and they've been better at achieving it than everyone else. I'd think they wouldn't want to simply drop the ball
and do a half-assed job for a dynamic iris, so I'd expect some good thought and engineering have been put into this.

(It's also possible they were thinking something like "we don't have 4K to offer them this year, we have to do something noticeable...ok...lets finally do a DI to shake things up...)
post #297 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I usually keep the Sony on Auto Iris 1. On what I spend most of the time watching, that is sports, I don't see that much difference in setting the iris to manual and setting at max to get more light. On dark movies, I just set it at auto 1 and watch. I never see artifacts so I just leave it on.

Thanks..but..dude..what I'm curious about is the difference in the PICTURE quality, especially contrast performance in challenging dark scenes. Does the DI really make much difference to your black levels? I seem to remember the Sony with it's DI on actually does higher on/off contrast (and all other things equal slightly darker black levels) than a JVC projector?
post #298 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just don't find much difference in my black pit theater. I have had my set up with the 1000ES for well over a year and I am long past the playing with it stage. I just watch it for what I want to watch. I am transported to the arena or field. Its like being there. The screen (snomatt 100) just disappears and I watch.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #299 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Thinking about it, the higher your native contrast is, the more you can push a DI probably. Think about it, our eyes have an enormous dynamic range, I think I figured by looking at a NASA report that you'd need about a range of 1 (or was it 10) million:1 to achieve impreceptible black, with a white point on the order of 10ftL. But at the same time within any given frame one can's see nearly that much dynamic range. I've seen it listed around 10-14 stops which works out to be between 1000-4000:1 in ratio terms. Of course our eyes move around the seen, adapt, and fuse the scene together so the mental range is a good bit larger than that.

But even so, when you start getting to really dark average levels, it takes a while to adjust. So JVC could probably have a very "aggressive" (large multiplier) DI, but if they operate very slowly over that range, they could probably reduce/minimize gamma boosting since they've got a large native dynamic range, and avoid pumping and white crushing.

I mean if you think about it (and I'm going from what I've heard here), in any one scene JVCs probably have plenty of contrast, I'd think 150k:1 is plenty. What's been missing is during the darkest scenes, with little bright content, as ones eyes adjust you begin to see the black floor.

If JVC can figure out how to run their DI rather slowly (maybe even more slowly than the good DI implementations out there today) but over a wider range, maybe it will be great. I'm certainly interested. Part of the reason I haven't looked more seriously at a JVC so far is because even they really couldn't do "black", but these may finally be able to do that.

By the way, anyone ever actually measure the "total" dynamic range of a good JVC? I mean blackest black with iris clamped down vs brightest white with it wide open?

Looking at Cine4Home for the X95 I see:
Low Lamp, open iris 790 Lumens
Low Lamp, closed iris 210 Lumens with 111,000:1 contrast, so that would make the black level 0.00189ftL.

So the dynamic range would be 790/0.00189 = 417000:1 even if they just had a DI that operated over the normal iris range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

I would be interested in if you could change the multiple factor or if it is set at 10x. One thing is for sure is that JVC is now close to if not better than CRT on/off cr. How many people are going to jump ship this year?biggrin.gif

I keep seeing "adjustable" when they talk about it which implies there are settings beyond just on and off.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #300 of 4136 Old 09-26-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting Stranger89,

I'm always having to think of trade-offs with my JVC. I love having the iris open in terms of how the brighter image gets that clarity and punch. But sometimes I also (on my 1/2 aged bulb) claim the iris down almost fully just to watch with lower black levels and I just LOVE what it does for the image, the way it just makes everything more solid and believable (and creepier, for horror flicks). The problem is it only
gets a pass in "mixed" dark scenes, where there is some significant portions of brightness as well (e.g. blade-runner type high-contrast night lighting), which retain a feeling of nice dynamics. But the dimmer image suffers when scenes call for more brightness, which come out dim and lacking dimensionality. A DI on the JVC seems like it might get closer to both worlds. (Though, I don't think it would have exactly the same effect. With the iris closed down there is a nice consistency in the black levels on screen from dark to brighter scenes with dark objects. That blacks-are-deep-throughout helps with what I'm talking about, but I presume the DI would open up for bright scenes, so the black levels wouldn't have such consistency).
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X900r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page