post #3421 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

I might have been adversarial because after I posted a simple correction (with a smiley) I got a reply with rolleyes and more incorrect info.

But you're right, I shouldn't be posting here, I clearly don't have what it takes, so thanks for giving me a reason to stop.

Why did you say that? I said exactly the opposite. I just ask you to do it with your traditional style and class.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I might have been adversarial because after I posted a simple correction (with a smiley) I got a reply with rolleyes and more incorrect info.

But you're right, I shouldn't be posting here, I clearly don't have what it takes, so thanks for giving me a reason to stop.
Hey, that's my excuse....come up with your own.... rolleyes.gif

Keep posting, your posts are some of the most intelligent here.
Manni01 and Mr. Hatcher like this.

Geof
post #3423 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Hey, that's my excuse....come up with your own....:roll eyes:

Keep posting, your posts are some of the most intelligent here.

+1.... manni is the.... the man.. biggrin.gif

tons of great info all the time
Manni01 and maximus74 like this.
post #3424 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 102
All right, now I have to post something or you're going to think I'm brooding in a corner smile.gif

Thanks for the support.

Seegs, please try to read Poynton's article. There is no calibration to xvYCC. It's not a fixed gamut. It's a gamut relative to rec-709, and how much information outside of rec-709 is shown depends on the capabilities of the display. Even if the gamut switches to x.v.color, there can be little or no difference if the display cannot display a wider gamut than rec-709. This is the case, for example, on the 500Es which does switch to x.v.color when a Min4K bluray is played from a compatible source, but which is unable to display a significantly wider gamut than rec-709.

The new JVCs support x.v.color in a way that they didn't use to formerly, as it's listed as one of the new features for the 2014 range.

It might be because until Sony launched the Min4K range of blurays, x.v.color was only used with AVCHD, as it's not part of the bluray specs.

So some hardware (older bluray players, older displays) might list x.v.color support, but that doesn't mean they can detect the gamut metadata in the Min4K blurays and switch to x.v.color when playing those blurays. It only means they can display x.v.color in AVCHD content (for example footage from consumer camcorder compatible with x.v.color).

The display has to confirm x.v.color support for the source to send x.v.color expanded gamut info. If the display doesn't confirm, the extended gamut information isn't sent and the content is displayed using rec-709.
krichter1 and maximus74 like this.
post #3425 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:

Please do NOT do that! eek.gif . eek.gif . eek.gif I agree with Toe that your value to these forums is immeasurable (and very much appreciated!) and a few incorrect comments shouldn't let that stop.

If you want me to go out out and change my fav "Vote for Pedro" shirt to "… Manni" I will do that! biggrin.gif

(FWIW - I think Dylan just meant the cover being touted as a "feature" was a bit ridiculous!)

I can't speak for my crotchedy old friend being a Dbag today (but I still love him!) biggrin.gif
Toe and Manni01 like this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #3426 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

+1.... manni is the.... the man.. biggrin.gif

tons of great info all the time

Man-eee… Man-eee… Man-eee... (Mark will understand being a BoSox fan!) tongue.gif .wink.gif

Thanks for the updated Facebook picture Mark!!

tongue.gif . tongue.gif . tongue.gif
Toe likes this.

Kevin

post #3427 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Do the JVCs do xvYcc?

Yes it does Mark but when engaged everything else gets grayed out (kind of like THX mode).
maximus74 likes this.

Kevin

post #3428 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 120
If I recall correctly (perhaps not) the handpicked components for the JVC Flagship models is really only handpicked LCoS display chips.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3429 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Shows how much you know Ron… the slide cover is also hand picked just for the Flagships!

Kevin

post #3430 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well I lost another bet. Manni held out for 25 minutes. I bet Kevin he wouldn't last 15 minutes. smile.gif Joerod usually lasts a day. smile.gif

Toe? WTF? Read my first post. I did not criticize Manni for posting or disagree with his statements. Manni knows exactly what I was trying to say. He and I are friends and have communicated by PM. I have noticed some lack of patience with others recently and I was bitch slapping him into being nice. Even with your post crushing my abilities and contributions, Toe, I would not attack or treat you less than nicely. weeze friends too.
krichter1 likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #3431 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 414
Quote:

Well I lost another bet. Manni held out for 25 minutes. I bet Kevin he wouldn't last 15 minutes. smile.gif Joerod usually lasts a day. smile.gif

Toe? WTF? Read my first post. I did not criticize Manni for posting or disagree with his statements. Manni knows exactly what I was trying to say. He and I are friends and have communicated by PM. I have noticed some lack of patience with others recently and I was bitch slapping him into being nice. Even with your post crushing my abilities and contributions, Toe, I would not attack or treat you less than nicely. weeze friends too.

Sorry Mark, I meant no harm. Of course your contributions and wealth of knowledge are invaluable and very much appreciated as well, and I did not mean to imply they were not. All I meant was if anyone is to get on Manni for coming off a bit firm, it should not be you (or me for that matter!) since you can come off a bit rough at times as well (so can I) in some of your posts. That's all. I certainly did not mean to "attack" you though since we are friends here, so sorry if it came off that way as that was not my intention. Was just giving you some $hit. smile.gif

EDIT: I just hope we can still be friends when the Broncos beat the Patriots tom....... biggrin.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3432 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Of course none of us want Manni (or anyone else for that matter) to stop posting. We're all wrong from time to time. The internet can be a scary place for those who aren't experts in a particular field. You often will find that what you post to be incorrect and many times when finding out why you're incorrect means receiving a rude comment on why. This forum doesn't seem to be too bad with that and I don't believe Manni was acting that way. I misheard about the second tier JVC projectors receiving lesser graded parts. I conceded on that front. That is kind of a sad thought, though, that you're spending many thousands more for a product that uses the vast majority of parts that the cheaper model has and you don't get some additional special treatment to make sure those parts are at least closer to spec than the parts going into the model costing thousands less. They want you to spend even more for that. It is what it is I guess.
post #3433 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe not even 15 old man! biggrin.gif

Wow not even a comment on your new FB pic… (I thought that was pretty funny… just trying to help lighten the mood). I apologize, cause we all know this is your real one…

Oh come on… Now that's funny stuff!

Oh yeah Mark… how's to foot doing… (well enough to wanna kick me where the sun don't shine!)? wink.gif

As very well said… weez all friends here! smile.gif
Toe likes this.

Kevin

post #3434 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 84
"EDIT: I just hope we can still be friends when the Broncos beat the Patriots tom....... biggrin.gif[/quote]

We shall see about that.

James Reid:D
post #3435 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

We shall see about that

krichter1 and maximus74 like this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3436 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mah foot It ezz all healed.

I am mildly amused about a simple comment to a friend causing a ruckus here. All I did was ask my friend to be nice and it results in I am outa here and then a lot of please don'ts Sort of like a bunch of teenage girls in the valley. Then we get a group hug. Next thing I know, Manning will be at our doors delivering a Papa John's pizza.

Toe. Calm down about visualizing the young girls. Try shooting for a college freshman or sophomore.

BTW Manni. A very nice post explaining xvYcc. I figure I will buy the new Sony top of the line bluray player (something like $179 MSRP) and set my 1000ES to xvYcc and get a MI4K and play it that way and then with the xvYcc stuff shut off and see if I can see any differences. I am betting I won't.
krichter1 and Toe like this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #3437 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

That is kind of a sad thought, though, that you're spending many thousands more for a product that uses the vast majority of parts that the cheaper model has and you don't get some additional special treatment to make sure those parts are at least closer to spec than the parts going into the model costing thousands less..
There are 2 sides to that coin. Sad if you spend the extra and happy if you don't spend the extra that you didn't get parts that had been separated out into a lot of inferior parts. smile.gif

--Darin
krichter1 likes this.

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #3438 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

Is the bulb aperture only to dim the image but not increase the actual (not dynamic) contrast?
I tried to explain here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486011/new-range-jvc-2014/3300#post_24218406

why I think a dual aperture system can increase native contrast ratio better than just a lens iris, for the same light loss. It depends on what is causing the raised black level though.

In this case I think measurements support that the 2nd iris can help the native on/off CR (which I consider the on/off CR for keeping the iris(es) in one position).

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #3439 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 292

So are the JVC RS57 fixed? No more switching issues or zooming issues?

post #3440 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 269
after the update, it was fine switching between my 3 sources, Samsung BD 3D player, Mede8ter network player and my HTPC (using the Nvidia 780 GTX Ti)

it takes a little longer to switch modes than some of my other projectors but it never locked up going from 24 -> 60 > 24FP, etc.
post #3441 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I tried to explain here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486011/new-range-jvc-2014/3300#post_24218406

why I think a dual aperture system can increase native contrast ratio better than just a lens iris, for the same light loss. It depends on what is causing the raised black level though.

In this case I think measurements support that the 2nd iris can help the native on/off CR (which I consider the on/off CR for keeping the iris(es) in one position).

--Darin

Thanks Darin.

Has anyone compared the contrast between the jvc's side by side?
post #3442 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

So are the JVC RS57 fixed? No more switching issues or zooming issues?

What "zooming issues"?__

Kevin

post #3443 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Mah foot It ezz all healed.

I am mildly amused about a simple comment to a friend causing a ruckus here. All I did was ask my friend to be nice and it results in I am outa here and then a lot of please don'ts Sort of like a bunch of teenage girls in the valley. Then we get a group hug. Next thing I know, Manning will be at our doors delivering a Papa John's pizza.

Toe. Calm down about visualizing the young girls. Try shooting for a college freshman or sophomore.

BTW Manni. A very nice post explaining xvYcc. I figure I will buy the new Sony top of the line bluray player (something like $179 MSRP) and set my 1000ES to xvYcc and get a MI4K and play it that way and then with the xvYcc stuff shut off and see if I can see any differences. I am betting I won't.

What??? You figured out the 1000ES can play blu rays and not just DVDs and 720p cable tv?
krichter1 likes this.
post #3444 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

The biggest thing the low end doesn't get is the extra aperture in front of the lamp, This is important for extra black level and contrast

Only makes a difference if you use it, will not matter to those going for max brightness.

Noah
post #3445 of 4135 Old 01-18-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

...it takes a little longer to switch modes than some of my other projectors...

Are we talking like a second longer, or like several seconds longer? Thanks.
post #3446 of 4135 Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This would be a real deal breaker for me. Two seconds longer than brands X, Y, and Z to change modes. How could they? What were they thinking? Snzz Snzz smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #3447 of 4135 Old 01-19-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I don't know if this review has been referred to before in the JVC threads. Here it is anyway. 3D still seems to be a problem in 2014. Just click on the JVC image when it appears on the right to read the review.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.projection-homecinema.fr%2F2013%2F09%2F05%2Flg-pf80g-dlp-full-hd-full-led-1299-euros%2F
post #3448 of 4135 Old 01-19-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

If you would have gone over to the x700 thread you would have seen this review by Kraine was talked about exensively. The 3D is much improved over the RS55 and at least on-par with last years model (but a tad brighter and CMD mode greatly helps motion/judder to those sensitive to it… so possibly even better than last years model).

Average that with all the other improvements discussed (discounting whatever Kraine's issue were this year with his test gear & poor room conditions of course), and compare that to others from a price/performance perspective and I believe (if you're asking/wondering/considering), the clear consensus here is JVC has a winner on their hands this year! wink.gif

Kevin

post #3449 of 4135 Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A huge winner means they are going to see a lot more of them this year than last.

Of course you might mean that the JVC this year obliterates all competitive choices.

The problem I suspect is the market for projectors is declining and will continue to decline as panels get bigger and cheaper.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #3450 of 4135 Old 01-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Liked: 18

The JVCs would have been a bit more attractive if they would support HDCP 2.2 / HDMI 2 to be a bit more future proof... Especially with BD 4k around the corner.. Duno if these disc or future 4k content will support both HDCP versions or just 2.2...

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X900r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page