post #3691 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

I understand the benefits from an upscaling standpoint... if that is the only driver for a 4k screen it will be a massive failure...

Well, that is right now, but to have more 4k content, consumers will at least need content to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

Yeah, this one of the other concerns i have... is 4k even a long term format? It would seem it is really a quick stop on the way to 8K. Dont even get me started on streaming of UHD. There will be bandwidth issues for years and the compression is going to effect PQ on larger screens.

I just hope resolution doesn't become a proxy for quality in the same way that megapixels did for digital cameras 10 years ago. I'll take a wider color gamut, deeper bit depth, higher frame rate, and better (and/or less) compressed 1080p over poorly-done 4K any day of the week.
post #3693 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebes View Post

Hi,

and the others pictures ?

Cannot say for sure if they are the same frames or not...however if the one with the people are dissimilar frames, then the others could be too.

Sure, I see the need to create the hype, however as Darin says this is AV science!

I have done may simulations with still 4K-2K, but I haven't got the facilities to do motion.

I would like to have someone do a comparative of resolution value:

Same screen, true 4K source....both still and motion.

Native 4K projector VS e-Shift 4K VS 4K down converted to a 2K projector

Objectives:

1. At what viewing ratio(distance to screen width) does the e-shift 4K projector appear similar to the 4K projector as far as resolution goes.

2. At what viewing ratio(distance to screen width) does the 2K projector appear similar(with down converted 4K) to the 4K projector as far as resolution goes.

Many of us have existing setups, I have 2 screens, one I view from 1.9 screen widths away, the other from 1.5 screen widths away, I have no intention(in the short term) of getting a larger screen or moving closer, in time in a different room with a new set up, yes.

My objectives are to see if there will be any gain with my current viewing distances, or if down converted 4K on a 2K projector will bring sufficient gains, if e-shift 4K will bring additional gains, or will native 4K be better than the preceding 2...of course all from the 1.9/1.5 screen width to viewing distances.

No need for up close sharpness analysis........just image resolution from actual viewing distances. smile.gif

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #3694 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Would I benefit from getting the JVC RS57/X700 over the RS49/X500 in the below setup?

My viewing env:
- 16' (L) x 12' (W) x 10' (H)
- Tan walls, except the screen wall, it will be flat non-reflective black paint (or hopefully Fidelio black velvet, WAF pending)
- Black tray ceiling w/ fiber-optic star ceiing (the tray starts at ~24" all the way around the room, the tray is black but the surround is white)
- Dark brown carpet (possible black rug, WAF pending)
- All black theater furniture (black cloth non reflective theater seating, black velvet on top of BDI Casata A/V cabinet)
- All black 5.1 speakers (Soundfield Audio L/R/C, Kef Q800ds Dipole Surrounds) and subwoofer (Rhythmik Audio FV15HP) (may all get wrapped in black velvet)
- Black tape already covers all the little LEDs on my equip as well (those are so distracting, but not anymore) biggrin.gif
- Two windows directly behind the seating with black blackout blinds and black curtains
- 2 x 16' motorized curtains w/ black velvet curtain material (1 for each 16' (L) side wall)
- **Still unsure - Screen (120" 16:9) Stewart StudioTek 130 G3, EluneVision Reference Studio 4K (1.0g) or PureBright 4K (2.4g) still waiting on samples of the EluneVision, but should be here next week

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #3695 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post

Would I benefit from getting the JVC RS57/X700 over the RS49/X500 in the below setup?

My viewing env:
- Tan walls, except the screen wall, it will be flat non-reflective black paint (or hopefully Fidelio black velvet, WAF pending)
- Black tray ceiling w/ fiber-optic star ceiing (the tray starts at ~24" all the way around the room, the tray is black but the surround is white)
- All black theater furniture (black cloth non reflective theater seating, black velvet on top of BDI Casata A/V cabinet)
- All black 5.1 speakers (Soundfield Audio L/R/C, Kef Q800ds Dipole Surrounds) and subwoofer (Rhythmik Audio FV15HP) (may all get wrapped in black velvet)
- Black tape already covers all the little LEDs on my equip as well (those are so distracting, but not anymore) biggrin.gif
- Two windows directly behind the seating with black blackout blinds and black curtains
- 2 x 16' motorized curtains w/ black velvet curtain material (1 for each 16' (L) side wall)
- **Still unsure - Screen (120" 16:9) Stewart StudioTek 130 G3, EluneVision Reference Studio 4K (1.0g) or PureBright 4K (2.4g) still waiting on samples of the EluneVision, but should be here next week

With that size screen with a 1.0-1.3 gain screen, you are looking to keep the iris mid to open for more brightness. With the X500/RS49, at mid you will be getting about 36,000:1 and open about 28,000:1. With the X700/RS57, at mid about 44,000:1 and open about 34,000:1. Those numbers are very hard to see a difference, but X500 will be brighter.

If you use the 2.4 gain screen, then you can close the iris more to get about 48,000:1 with the X500 and close to 70,000:1 with the X700. However, it depends on how much brightness you can get with the 2.4 screen. It might be too dim and you still want to open it up more. You really get extra contrast with the X700 when you go from -10 to -15, which gives you about 500-300 lumens.
post #3696 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, the DI or II seem to work the same on both models.
post #3697 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 256
For anyone with a high contrast projector like the JVC (or Sony or whatever) you should be taping the Grammys right now. The image quality is amazing and the contrast is out of this world - there's just tons of performance footage with startling highlights against gorgeous modulations of black backgrounds and props. Probably the best looking stuff you can get for the JVCs.
post #3698 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Good call thanks! That song with Stevie Wonder was awesome blacks (the background... Not the musicians!). tongue.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #3699 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

With that size screen with a 1.0-1.3 gain screen, you are looking to keep the iris mid to open for more brightness. With the X500/RS49, at mid you will be getting about 36,000:1 and open about 28,000:1. With the X700/RS57, at mid about 44,000:1 and open about 34,000:1. Those numbers are very hard to see a difference, but X500 will be brighter.

If you use the 2.4 gain screen, then you can close the iris more to get about 48,000:1 with the X500 and close to 70,000:1 with the X700. However, it depends on how much brightness you can get with the 2.4 screen. It might be too dim and you still want to open it up more. You really get extra contrast with the X700 when you go from -10 to -15, which gives you about 500-300 lumens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Also, the DI or II seem to work the same on both models.

Thanks blee,

Decisions decisions. Also, I do want to get another projector (cheap bright DLP, maybe Optoma HD25E) strictly for 3D+gaming+daytime viewing with ambient light. And only use the JVC for Blu-ray.

I found the X500 for $4200 and the X700 for $6000. Anyone know where to get a X700 cheaper than that (PM me if so)? I really want the pro version as well as I'm just not a fan of that gold trim on the others.

My screen samples from EluneVision should be here this week. I'll pit them against the ST130 G3 and see which looks best overall to me.
DaVinci2 likes this.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #3700 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 09:20 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

For anyone with a high contrast projector like the JVC (or Sony or whatever) you should be taping the Grammys right now.

Taping ehh? VHS/VHS-C/Betamax/SVHS/8MM/Hi-8/Digital 8/Mini-DV/DVHS? What do sort of tape do you recommend?

Sorry, couldn't resist... ;-) Fortunately my Dish Hopper recorded it automatically for PrimeTime Anytime. I'll have to check it out!
krichter1 likes this.
post #3701 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Are any of you guys noticing the dramatically better motion on the 4910 vs last years models? I just ran the motion tests on the 4910 today and it did amazingly well! I know for a fact it's better then the first eshift model I had and even beats my Optoma DLP is some ways. First CMD this year IS NEAR PERFECT. Running it on high with the motion resolution tests showed about 850 lines while with no CMD it was about 550. The CMD produced virtually no artifacts or halos around objects. The license plate scene easily showed every number and car detail without artifacts. Store pan scene also looked great with every store name very clearly readable and even individual leaves were visible on the panning trees. Even without CMD the JVC looks great and produces no blur or smear at all (just slight loss of detail during motion) I wonder if they increased the native speed of the panels (not talking about the BS 120, 240, 480hz crap)

I'm running the Japanese FPD benchmark. I don't like Sony FI as it's defective in every single model I've tried (creates a weird loss of resolution when engaged that makes it unusable for me) The Epson FI is good but it looks like JVC actually has the best FI right now. Someone else please check it out because I don't remember anyone talking about how much better it was this year. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that there doesn't seem to be a Dark frame insertion mode. Unless they combined it with FI and thats why it looks so much better?

The thing I don't like about DLP motion is that you can easily see colour fringing on high contrast edges during many of the motion tests and this can also be easily seen playing video games on a DLP. I've seen this effect on every DLP I've owned and it's not related to rainbows.

You guys might think I'm just hyping up the JVC but I'm not. I bought it because I got a good deal on it and I could easily sell it a month from now just like I did my Sony and Epson and not lose a single dollar.

Ordered the knockoff JVC glasses and emitter and I hope somehow JVC has also improved 3D. I very much doubt it has any chance against my optoma DLP (pretty sure of it) but I hope it's at least acceptable. Doing this more as a test for other people wondering about the 3D. Bought the Epson for 3D and was completely disappointed with the background ghosting.
post #3702 of 4133 Old 01-26-2014, 09:56 PM

Liked: 10
Conan48 maybe you can send me your dealers info.lol
post #3703 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 12:06 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Thanks blee,

Decisions decisions. Also, I do want to get another projector (cheap bright DLP, maybe Optoma HD25E) strictly for 3D+gaming+daytime viewing with ambient light. And only use the JVC for Blu-ray.

I found the X500 for $4200 and the X700 for $6000. Anyone know where to get a X700 cheaper than that (PM me if so)? I really want the pro version as well as I'm just not a fan of that gold trim on the others.

My screen samples from EluneVision should be here this week. I'll pit them against the ST130 G3 and see which looks best overall to me.

If this is your first projector, I think you'll be more than satisfied with the X500. Start with just one projector and see if it's good enough for you, then consider a DLP.

I had the same deliberations as you and finally opted for the X500. With the dynamic iris, the differences are not as big as in previous models IMO. for a first time projector, I'm just blown away and don't feel I need any extras (expect perhaps for the automatic lens cover but that't not a big deal). I actually began enjoying 3D, something I hated before, and still hate in the Cinema. This is thanks to the Clear Motion Drive in 3D.

I understand that projectors like DLP or epson 6030 might be better for 3D but I have to tell you, after comparing Monsters University & Avatar on both the X500 and the Epson 6030, I prefer the X500 much more. It might be lower in brightness, but it's not so bad. The picture quality is just so much better, and HIGH clear motion drive on the JVC (for 3D only) looks better to me than the Epson. Besides, the colors are more accurate and the brightness would be identical on the Epson if it was calibrated.

I watched The Croods in 3D with the wife last night and we just loved it, such a great quality (lots of shades of black by the way). The movie is also really funny. (if you know the movie: TAM TAM TAAAAAM wink.gif)
post #3704 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Are any of you guys noticing the dramatically better motion on the 4910 vs last years models? I just ran the motion tests on the 4910 today and it did amazingly well! I know for a fact it's better then the first eshift model I had and even beats my Optoma DLP is some ways. First CMD this year IS NEAR PERFECT. Running it on high with the motion resolution tests showed about 850 lines while with no CMD it was about 550. The CMD produced virtually no artifacts or halos around objects. The license plate scene easily showed every number and car detail without artifacts. Store pan scene also looked great with every store name very clearly readable and even individual leaves were visible on the panning trees. Even without CMD the JVC looks great and produces no blur or smear at all (just slight loss of detail during motion) I wonder if they increased the native speed of the panels (not talking about the BS 120, 240, 480hz crap)

I'm running the Japanese FPD benchmark. I don't like Sony FI as it's defective in every single model I've tried (creates a weird loss of resolution when engaged that makes it unusable for me) The Epson FI is good but it looks like JVC actually has the best FI right now. Someone else please check it out because I don't remember anyone talking about how much better it was this year. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that there doesn't seem to be a Dark frame insertion mode. Unless they combined it with FI and thats why it looks so much better?

The thing I don't like about DLP motion is that you can easily see colour fringing on high contrast edges during many of the motion tests and this can also be easily seen playing video games on a DLP. I've seen this effect on every DLP I've owned and it's not related to rainbows.

You guys might think I'm just hyping up the JVC but I'm not. I bought it because I got a good deal on it and I could easily sell it a month from now just like I did my Sony and Epson and not lose a single dollar.

Ordered the knockoff JVC glasses and emitter and I hope somehow JVC has also improved 3D. I very much doubt it has any chance against my optoma DLP (pretty sure of it) but I hope it's at least acceptable. Doing this more as a test for other people wondering about the 3D. Bought the Epson for 3D and was completely disappointed with the background ghosting.

I think you are hyping down the Sonys!smile.gif

I tested the X500 a couple of weeks ago and to me the CMD looked on par with the Sony VW1000 Motionenhancer, so yes JVC has finally got the CMD to work, but Sony has done this for many years and so has Epson. And this loss of resolution you mention with the Sony´s is not my experience, my VW95 had some issues with its motionenhancer, but my VW1000 and HW55 works very vell and I use it at low with all filmmaterial. I used to hate it earlier, but with the new panels that came with the VW90 I liked it after alot of testing with and without.smile.gif

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #3705 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

If this is your first projector, I think you'll be more than satisfied with the X500. Start with just one projector and see if it's good enough for you, then consider a DLP.

I had the same deliberations as you and finally opted for the X500. With the dynamic iris, the differences are not as big as in previous models IMO. for a first time projector, I'm just blown away and don't feel I need any extras (expect perhaps for the automatic lens cover but that't not a big deal). I actually began enjoying 3D, something I hated before, and still hate in the Cinema. This is thanks to the Clear Motion Drive in 3D.

I understand that projectors like DLP or epson 6030 might be better for 3D but I have to tell you, after comparing Monsters University & Avatar on both the X500 and the Epson 6030, I prefer the X500 much more. It might be lower in brightness, but it's not so bad. The picture quality is just so much better, and HIGH clear motion drive on the JVC (for 3D only) looks better to me than the Epson. Besides, the colors are more accurate and the brightness would be identical on the Epson if it was calibrated.

I watched The Croods in 3D with the wife last night and we just loved it, such a great quality (lots of shades of black by the way). The movie is also really funny. (if you know the movie: TAM TAM TAAAAAM wink.gif)

Well, I'm getting ready to sell my Sony HW55 that I've had since mid December (that's my first pj). I want better black levels that I just couldn't achieve no matter how I configured the Sony.

I'll need something really bright to watch when the lights are on more than likely. There's a sliding glass door to the left of my screen that goes from the living/theater room to the back porch (it will be open from time-to-time). Can lights will also be on in the living/theater room and lights to the right in the kitchen. So this is a room that will be fairly bright at times (maybe up to 15-20 footcandles). The JVC will be strictly for 2D bluray when I have all the lights off and the motorized black velvet curtains pulled around the room. I'm definitely going to try the JVC by itself first, but I'll probably need something brighter for my daytime viewing. The Sony HW55 is plenty bright in TV mode with the lights on, but it has about 500 lumens more than the JVC. I would like about 2000+ lumens for daytime viewing, but we'll see.

I'll have to check those movies out when I finally get everything setup. smile.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #3706 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Well, I'm getting ready to sell my Sony HW55 that I've had since mid December (that's my first pj). I want better black levels that I just couldn't achieve no matter how I configured the Sony.

I'll need something really bright to watch when the lights are on more than likely. There's a sliding glass door to the left of my screen that goes from the living/theater room to the back porch (it will be open from time-to-time). Can lights will also be on in the living/theater room and lights to the right in the kitchen. So this is a room that will be fairly bright at times (maybe up to 15-20 footcandles). The JVC will be strictly for 2D bluray when I have all the lights off and the motorized black velvet curtains pulled around the room. I'm definitely going to try the JVC by itself first, but I'll probably need something brighter for my daytime viewing. The Sony HW55 is plenty bright in TV mode with the lights on, but it has about 500 lumens more than the JVC. I would like about 2000+ lumens for daytime viewing, but we'll see.

I'll have to check those movies out when I finally get everything setup. smile.gif

For daytime viewing you might be right, the JVC would probably be too weak. For a room with fairly ambient lighting it's actually not that bad. I think the higher native contrast gives a better impression of depth even though the overall image is darker, but I can't prove that ofcourse.
post #3707 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For daytime viewing you might be right, the JVC would probably be too weak. For a room with fairly ambient lighting it's actually not that bad. I think the higher native contrast gives a better impression of depth even though the overall image is darker, but I can't prove that ofcourse.

Yeah, I'll try the JVC out first. Thanks for the info though. I hope it's as good as everyone says it is and I don't end up kicking myself in the @$$ for selling my HW55. tongue.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #3708 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I'll try the JVC out first. Thanks for the info though. I hope it's as good as everyone says it is and I don't end up kicking myself in the @$$ for selling my HW55. tongue.gif

I saw the 55 before getting the JVC. Great projector, but it lacks the motorized lens control. I have a CIH setup so that was a must.

The differences were not earth shattering but the JVC provided a more natural and "cinematic" look in my opinion, probably due to e-shift. It's all very subjective at these price ranges.
post #3709 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw the 55 before getting the JVC. Great projector, but it lacks the motorized lens control. I have a CIH setup so that was a must.

The differences were not earth shattering but the JVC provided a more natural and "cinematic" look in my opinion, probably due to e-shift. It's all very subjective at these price ranges.

Yeah, the HW55 does throw a compelling image, but when I'm watching really dark content (which I watch a lot of), the Sony just doesn't quite do it for me at those times (which are often). I hope the JVC quenches my thirst for that extra dynamic range with really dark content.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #3710 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Yeah, the HW55 does throw a compelling image, but when I'm watching really dark content (which I watch a lot of), the Sony just doesn't quite do it for me at those times (which are often). I hope the JVC quenches my thirst for that extra dynamic range with really dark content.

I took zombie's offer to use Oblivion as a sample content to try out, the scene where Morgan Freeman talks to Tom Cruise for the first time while smoking a cigar. With the right settings (I used super white for white point, around -7 for lens aperture, Auto2 for dynamic iris, cinema color profile), the result on screen is just incredible. Even my wife said wow, and it takes a lot to get her to appreciate anything relating to these geeky stuff. At first I had some bad settings and thought to myself that it's just ok, but I barely saw Morgan's face. With the right settings, you're seeing sudden see his expression through the darkness when the cigar is closer to his face. It's really a great test scene.
post #3711 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I took zombie's offer to use Oblivion as a sample content to try out, the scene where Morgan Freeman talks to Tom Cruise for the first time while smoking a cigar. With the right settings (I used super white for white point, around -7 for lens aperture, Auto2 for dynamic iris, cinema color profile), the result on screen is just incredible. Even my wife said wow, and it takes a lot to get her to appreciate anything relating to these geeky stuff. At first I had some bad settings and thought to myself that it's just ok, but I barely saw Morgan's face. With the right settings, you're seeing sudden see his expression through the darkness when the cigar is closer to his face. It's really a great test scene.

That's very encouraging news. I will have to test that movie out when I get my JVC. I want to watch Life of Pi as well. I hear it's amazing!

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #3712 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

That's very encouraging news. I will have to test that movie out when I get my JVC. I want to watch Life of Pi as well. I hear it's amazing!

For sure Oblivion looks amazing, but so does everything I put on the screen. I finally got my Cousin, who owns a Kuro, to come watch a movie and he was blown away. Now of course the size always gets you, but it was the detail that really impressed him. It is literally candy for the eyes. I would hate to see what is better because it might give me a stroke.lol

Almost hesitant to say this,but in some ways I wish I still had my BenQ W7000, it was much brighter and I could have some lights on even a curtain open in my basement. But that is not to say that my X500 is dim, just needs a bit of help with the lights on. A higher power screen might help. For perspective any sane person would think it was plenty bright , in no way is the BenQ superior to the JVC in 2D image, just bright as all heck. So that might be a good combo.

James Reid:D
post #3713 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

Life of Pi is IMO an excellent movie, and an excellent demo disk for both audio and video ! I like Oblivion too - excellent audio and video demo disk also.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3714 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

What are the darkest blacks possible on your screen ? You can see that turning on your usual lights and look at the color of your screen with your projector off. That's the blackest black the screen can do = no projector lights on it. A bright projector will put out so much light that your eye's iris will close down and you'll see black blacks... But then a bright projector is required and possibly a light controlling screen is order to retain contrast with some ambient lighting. I'm putting a photo of what I mean. On the photo there is like 200 watts of ambient light in a white room  with a 1.4 HC grey screen. The projector is a w1070 which isn't know for doing great blacks. There is a white piece of paper to compare with white material.

Maybe you just need an appropriate screen and not a new projector. My 2 cents.

post #3715 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaal View Post

What are the darkest blacks possible on your screen ? You can see that turning on your usual lights and look at the color of your screen with your projector off. That's the blackest black the screen can do = no projector lights on it. A bright projector will put out so much light that your eye's iris will close down and you'll see black blacks... But then a bright projector is required and possibly a light controlling screen is order to retain contrast with some ambient lighting. I'm putting a photo of what I mean. On the photo there is like 200 watts of ambient light in a white room  with a 1.4 HC grey screen. The projector is a w1070 which isn't know for doing great blacks. There is a white piece of paper to compare with white material.
Maybe you just need an appropriate screen and not a new projector. My 2 cents.

My viewing env:

I will be getting a JVC with a nice white fixed screen for reference nighttime blacked out room viewing.

And a really bright cheap DLP and possibly an ambient light rejecting pull down screen for 3D+gaming+bright room viewing.

This is the only way to have the best of everything in a light and dark room setup...unfortunately.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #3716 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 195
An RS4910 and RS57 are in the house !! wink.gif

cardoski likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3717 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Nice! Some lucky people are going to get a demo of those. It's just too bad you don't have something similar closer to me! mad.gif
post #3718 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

An RS4910 and RS57 are in the house !! wink.gif

I would have to paint that dust cover black, or cover it in protostar or black velvet, LOL! tongue.gif

Looking forward to your observations...

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #3719 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I would have to paint that dust cover black, or cover it in protostar or black velvet, LOL! tongue.gif

Looking forward to your observations...

Thought about painting the lens cover on my X500 too. Not sure what kind of paint wouldn't flake off however. They should have made it black!
post #3720 of 4133 Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Thought about painting the lens cover on my X500 too. Not sure what kind of paint wouldn't flake off however. They should have made it black!

The whole point was to cut costs.. White/natural is the cheapest color. Some companies don't even provide lens covers!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page