NEW RANGE JVC 2014 - Page 136 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4051 of 4136 Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Get some screen samples from Seymour AV, Falcon, and then some more expensive options too, if you like. Hang them up from the distance you are considering, with a projector on, and see if the weave is noticable or distracting, and select the brightest one with acceptable weave.

I think you will be challenged to get reference brightness, when the bulb is not fresh or if you don't want to run in high lamp mode, but you may find it acceptable -- and not mind swapping bulbs more frequently.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4136 Old 05-15-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

XD is what he is considering and it is unity gain.

Good choice at that distance and size as long as the weave is not distracting.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4053 of 4136 Old 05-15-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Generally, 12-14ftL is ideal, but myself, I like 16-18ftL with movies. With sports, its different. Many like theirs with the lights on, so you would need more ftLs. Usually between 20-30ftL. I still use 16-18ftL because my room is light control and I rarely have my lights on still. So, with a 130 wide screen, you basically need 815 lumens and 950 lumens for 14ftL. Which is possible with the RS49.
post #4054 of 4136 Old 05-15-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Generally, 12-14ftL is ideal, but myself, I like 16-18ftL with movies. With sports, its different. Many like theirs with the lights on, so you would need more ftLs. Usually between 20-30ftL. I still use 16-18ftL because my room is light control and I rarely have my lights on still. So, with a 130 wide screen, you basically need 815 lumens and 950 lumens for 14ftL. Which is possible with the RS49.

I prefer 16 - 18 foot lamberts usually, too. One must make careful screen size and material selections to get that kind of brightness.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #4055 of 4136 Old 05-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Get some screen samples from Seymour AV, Falcon, and then some more expensive options too, if you like. Hang them up from the distance you are considering, with a projector on, and see if the weave is noticable or distracting, and select the brightest one with acceptable weave.

I think you will be challenged to get reference brightness, when the bulb is not fresh or if you don't want to run in high lamp mode, but you may find it acceptable -- and not mind swapping bulbs more frequently.

What is Reference brightness? 14 or 16 fLs?

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
post #4056 of 4136 Old 05-15-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post

What is Reference brightness? 14 or 16 fLs?

It depends on what standards you read. Most consider 16 ftL the ideal brightness for home theater. Or at least that's the minimum brightness one should try to get.
AidenL likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #4057 of 4136 Old 05-15-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Thanks Nathan. I have samples from both Seymour and Falcon. But I don't have a projector to test them with. Except an old slide projector.....maybe that would at least give me an idea of brightness and visible texture.

Chuck

Theater Design and Construction Thread
Sherbourn PT-7030, PA 7-350, PA 7-150, PA 4Z-75, C-12, Oppo BDP-103D
Klipsch La Scala I LCR with Crites AA crossovers & tweeters; Heresy I S&R surrounds with Crites crossover upgrades
Bill Fitzmaurice DIY THT subwoofers (2)
post #4058 of 4136 Old 05-15-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

That's better than nothing. Falcon will have less visible texture but also less gain. You may have to choose your poison smile.gif

Build Thread:
post #4059 of 4136 Old 05-20-2014, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Is there a way to adjust the Orange color in the JVC CMS?
I mean, do I need a specific pattern or calibration disc? has anybody tried adjusting the orange color using the CMS? how did you do it and what did it improve?

Stef
post #4060 of 4136 Old 05-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hi, I have received my JVC projector. Well kinda. It is a DreamVision Yunzi +3 Limited edition. Based on the JVC X900.

I got it fired up last night and was very pleased with the results.

I'm using two Oppo BDP-103D's outputting 2Kx4K into a Marantz SR7008 then to the projector.

All worked well however I didn't like the THX mode. Gamma was a bit high and shadow detail wasn't great. Has anyone got some quick pointers on what Colour modes to use?

I live in New Zealand so I don't have anyone here who can calibrate. It is all up to me.

I checked my firmware I have r1211.1 PS ODOCOE. It was manufactured last week out of France.

I didn't experience any HDMI issues.

Dono smile.gif
post #4061 of 4136 Old 05-20-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

There are other preset gamma options that you can choose. Try some of those out. If all else fails, the JVCs do have a built in custom gamma curve creator that you can utilize. I'm assuming this is the case with the DreamVision as well. For that though, you'll need a meter for the best results.

post #4062 of 4136 Old 05-20-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post

Is there a way to adjust the Orange color in the JVC CMS?
I mean, do I need a specific pattern or calibration disc? has anybody tried adjusting the orange color using the CMS? how did you do it and what did it improve?

So long as your primary and secondary colors are properly calibrated, orange should take care of itself.

post #4063 of 4136 Old 05-22-2014, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

Hi, I have received my JVC projector. Well kinda. It is a DreamVision Yunzi +3 Limited edition. Based on the JVC X900.

I got it fired up last night and was very pleased with the results.

I'm using two Oppo BDP-103D's outputting 2Kx4K into a Marantz SR7008 then to the projector.

All worked well however I didn't like the THX mode. Gamma was a bit high and shadow detail wasn't great. Has anyone got some quick pointers on what Colour modes to use?

I live in New Zealand so I don't have anyone here who can calibrate. It is all up to me.

I checked my firmware I have r1211.1 PS ODOCOE. It was manufactured last week out of France.

I didn't experience any HDMI issues.

Dono smile.gif

Wow! it looks like queen Amidala spaceship from Star Wars!
For calibration (RS57) I bought Chromapure software and an EyeOne Display Pro probe. I did it myself, but there was a learning curve...
Im my case, the best OOTB settings were:

colortemp 6000k (some say 6500k is better OOTB, but in my case it was way too blue)
gamma 2.5 (it gives me a real measured gamma of 2.22) (anything below the 2.5 setting led to a measured gamma curve below 2.1 in my setup)
colorprofile standard
Autoiris at auto2 (auto1 seems to crush blacks a bit)
Manual iris depends on your setup, the more you close it, the more contrast you get, but brightness decreases also...)
colorspace auto
clear black low (you might prefer high)
Badas likes this.

Stef
post #4064 of 4136 Old 05-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow! it looks like queen Amidala spaceship from Star Wars!
For calibration (RS57) I bought Chromapure software and an EyeOne Display Pro probe. I did it myself, but there was a learning curve...
Im my case, the best OOTB settings were:

colortemp 6000k (some say 6500k is better OOTB, but in my case it was way too blue)
gamma 2.5 (it gives me a real measured gamma of 2.22) (anything below the 2.5 setting led to a measured gamma curve below 2.1 in my setup)
colorprofile standard
Autoiris at auto2 (auto1 seems to crush blacks a bit)
Manual iris depends on your setup, the more you close it, the more contrast you get, but brightness decreases also...)
colorspace auto
clear black low (you might prefer high)

Yeah my boys think it looks like that spaceship as well. smile.gif
It certainly is a show piece. Exactly why I got it. I like things a bit different.

Thanks for those setting. Especially the Gamma. I will be sure to load those in and take a look.

I think I might eventually have to bite the bullet and learn about calibration software. I'm kinda by myself out here.
Not many Kiwi's (New Zealand) into HT. rolleyes.gif
post #4065 of 4136 Old 05-22-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Ah, nothing quite like a bright, shiny object as the centerpiece of a room you're trying to keep pitch black. wink.gif. All that chrome is going to negate the impact of the high native contrast ratio you paid so much money for! Is the projector in a multi-purpose room or a dedicated theater?

It's certainly unique looking, I'll give you that.
post #4066 of 4136 Old 05-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Ah, nothing quite like a bright, shiny object as the centerpiece of a room you're trying to keep pitch black. wink.gif. All that chrome is going to negate the impact of the high native contrast ratio you paid so much money for! Is the projector in a multi-purpose room or a dedicated theater?

It is a proper blacked out HT. It is not in the center.

Links here with extra pics:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Badas

Old gear. Still the same room.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=Badas&folderid=1156

Hardly anything is reflecting off the projector. It is way back on the back wall.

I am getting amazing contrast of it. Best I have ever seen.
post #4067 of 4136 Old 05-23-2014, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Nice equipment you've got!
I have the same buttkickers...I cant believe you need three to be satisfied...I am using one per row, and it definitely shakes too much (to my taste) when I turn the buttkicker amp volume past 30%...

Back on topic, the shiny look of your projector probably doest change the contrast you percieve since there is already much light coloured reflection surfaces in your HT. Still, the contrast seems good, clearly showing the strength ot those JVCs.

Stef
post #4068 of 4136 Old 05-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice equipment you've got!
I have the same buttkickers...I cant believe you need three to be satisfied...I am using one per row, and it definitely shakes too much (to my taste) when I turn the buttkicker amp volume past 30%...

Back on topic, the shiny look of your projector probably doest change the contrast you percieve since there is already much light coloured reflection surfaces in your HT. Still, the contrast seems good, clearly showing the strength ot those JVCs.

Thanks,

I love my 3 buttkickers. I like my teeth to rattle when something explodes. I wish I could fit a fourth. Actually have two extras as spares. rolleyes.gif

With light reflection. My front wall and ceiling are painted double dark matt black. Very little reflection. Sides have posters and things which could reflect. Projector is on back wall 5 meters back. I checked in the weekend. Hardly any reflection.

I'm getting one hell of a contrast out of this beast.

Using hide button it is taking my eyes at least 10 seconds to see the screen frame. Even then it is so dark. Really impressed with this years black and white uniformity. White is also very bright.

Running manual Iris -9, Auto 2. I haven't spotted iris pumping on any film yet. I can see pumping in rolling credits. Not that I care the film is finished by then. I kinda prefer it to show me iris is working. smile.gif
post #4069 of 4136 Old 05-25-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

Thanks,

I love my 3 buttkickers. I like my teeth to rattle when something explodes. I wish I could fit a fourth. Actually have two extras as spares. rolleyes.gif

With light reflection. My front wall and ceiling are painted double dark matt black. Very little reflection. Sides have posters and things which could reflect. Projector is on back wall 5 meters back. I checked in the weekend. Hardly any reflection.

I'm getting one hell of a contrast out of this beast.

Using hide button it is taking my eyes at least 10 seconds to see the screen frame. Even then it is so dark. Really impressed with this years black and white uniformity. White is also very bright.

Running manual Iris -9, Auto 2. I haven't spotted iris pumping on any film yet. I can see pumping in rolling credits. Not that I care the film is finished by then. I kinda prefer it to show me iris is working. smile.gif

If I didn't see the iris working with the credits, I would think its broke. So, I prefer to see it with the credits too.
post #4070 of 4136 Old 05-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

On 3D I have a few questions.

I notice when you first start the projector the crosstalk is bad.

Does it need some warm up time?

A few years ago they were talking that the JVC's 3D get worse overtime. Is that still happening?

I don't know if this helps anyone. I was getting flicker in bright scenes. CMD on high fixed it very well.
post #4071 of 4136 Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Here is some contrast screenshots I'm getting. Absolutely spectacular.

This is of The Art of the Steal. These are paintings in a boot of a car.
It is not exciting but shows the leap between black and white with a little colour thrown in.

First one. Shot taken from back of the room. Note the Oppo pause symbol. Nothing is altered and the photo appeared to be the same as what I view. look at the black floor level. Black is black. The felt edge to my screen is in that photo somewhere.

Second one. Shot taken very close to screen. A closer shot.

It is interesting. I decided to watch a few movies with e-shift off. This years JVC pixel structure is so invisible. At 1:1 screen width I didn't notice pixels at all.

E-shift does do a nice job of smoothing those jaggies from edges. Softens it a bit. Subtitles for example look real nice, not computer looking. Still most would be happy with the cheaper JVC projectors that don't have it.
post #4072 of 4136 Old 05-28-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 135
If you ever get some calibration software and equipment then I'd recommend setting your gamma to 2.4. The image IMO is richer and has more perceived depth with a gamma at that level than something like 2.2. These projectors can handle a 2.4 gamma as can your blacked out room.

Oh and that case looks badass!

ROB
post #4073 of 4136 Old 05-29-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Does anyone use the 12V trigger out on there JVC, I have a wireless 12V trigger for my screen but can't seem to get it to work with the JVC X700...
post #4074 of 4136 Old 05-30-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I'm using mine to run a remote fan that's pulling the exhaust air out of the ducts and out a vent in my roof. The manual shows a stereo plug, but you have to use a mono plug with the +12 volts on the tip and - on the barrel.
post #4075 of 4136 Old 05-31-2014, 06:55 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

It depends on what standards you read. Most consider 16 ftL the ideal brightness for home theater. Or at least that's the minimum brightness one should try to get.
FWIW, I wouldn't consider 16 a minimum at all. It really depends on the room.

In the various guides I've written I typically tell people to aim for somewhere between 12-16 ftL for projectors, with 14 ftL being a good target if you're not sure.

I do about 12 myself but my room's dark with black felt-like material surrounding most of the screen and dark walls, no light from windows. I find 16 ftL to be too bight.

The target for direct view sets (CRT tube, Plasma, rear projection, flat panel, etc.) will be a lot higher, typically somewhere in the 30-40 ftL range is a good place to starts.

YMMV.

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #4076 of 4136 Old 05-31-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Find me anything that shows the standard for home theater brightness being 16 fL. I love how this number has become a massive moving target. Early on it was 10-12 fL then 14fL now "most" consider it 16 fL? Yikes. Do you know how many projectors could light up screens to these types of levels just a few years ago?

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #4077 of 4136 Old 05-31-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think it's purely a preferential matter.

AlI know is from my experience, in a batcave, the larger the screen and the closer you sit to it, the lower the brightness required before eye strain sets in.

I also think perhaps people with darker eyes can tolerate more light than people with lighter eye color (like myself).

I sit around 10 feet or a bit more back from my 2:35 108" wide screen and right now I'm at 11.2 ftL which seems really nice and pleasant...I could probably go to around 12 ftL if I wanted. I was at 13.6 ftL, but found that too bright.

post #4078 of 4136 Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Find me anything that shows the standard for home theater brightness being 16 fL. I love how this number has become a massive moving target. Early on it was 10-12 fL then 14fL now "most" consider it 16 fL? Yikes. Do you know how many projectors could light up screens to these types of levels just a few years ago?

The THX standard is 16 and the SMPTE standard is 14 plus or minus 3 foot lamberts. I think with 3D even higher numbers should be the standard.

post #4079 of 4136 Old 05-31-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 351
And the ISF says 12-14 fL when I went. I think these are loose standards at best or more like recommendations. The ONLY standard that actually maters is the mastering target as that will directly impact your perception of color, and I bet you'd find that most mastering houses use a variety of different displays all with a different measured brightness. Ultimately this comes down to user preference unless a clear standard comes about. The fact that REC709 doesn't have a luminance standard is puzzling since color brightness differences will make images look completely different.

But again, since I started writing for the industry over 10 years ago I've heard the standard for recommended brightness change constantly. And most of the numbers spouted now are levels that weren't even achievable on a large screen without massive 3-chip light canons until very recently.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #4080 of 4136 Old 05-31-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

The fact that REC709 doesn't have a luminance standard is puzzling since color brightness differences will make images look completely different.

So true. There have been times where I had my display re-calibrated to a higher or lower gamma and that can dramatically change the way colors look.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X900r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page