NEW RANGE JVC 2014 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4136 Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Haw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It is possible that with the New MPC (Multiple Pixel Control), JVC has utilised the e-shift technology to make a single pixel function more effectively like 4 sub-pixels. Together with native 4K @ 60Hz (as I know HDMI 2.0 does not specify 4K above 60Hz) and a wider xvCC color space, JVC is giving a projector that is as close to a native 4K projector as it can get but at maybe 1/4 or 1/3 the price of a SONY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4136 Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
All the discussion about the economics of projector purchases, etc., I find pretty silly. One really should accept the fact that these things are toys, and should be written off as soon as they're bought. Even the Sony 1000ES that I bought 2 yrs ago, and will probably keep 2 more years, was worth it if I give it away when something significantly better comes out. I bought a JVC RS1 and kept it for 2 yrs (then going to a daughter and son-in-law), then had a RS20 that I also kept for 2 yrs (going to replace the daughter's RS1) and now the Sony. If you plan to keep a projector for 2-3 yrs, you should just plan on writing off the cost; any resale value you get will be a small fraction of your new replacement.
post #93 of 4136 Old 08-15-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haw View Post

It is possible that with the New MPC (Multiple Pixel Control), JVC has utilised the e-shift technology to make a single pixel function more effectively like 4 sub-pixels. Together with native 4K @ 60Hz (as I know HDMI 2.0 does not specify 4K above 60Hz) and a wider xvCC color space, JVC is giving a projector that is as close to a native 4K projector as it can get but at maybe 1/4 or 1/3 the price of a SONY.

They really are
post #94 of 4136 Old 08-15-2013, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

All the discussion about the economics of projector purchases, etc., I find pretty silly. One really should accept the fact that these things are toys, and should be written off as soon as they're bought. Even the Sony 1000ES that I bought 2 yrs ago, and will probably keep 2 more years, was worth it if I give it away when something significantly better comes out. I bought a JVC RS1 and kept it for 2 yrs (then going to a daughter and son-in-law), then had a RS20 that I also kept for 2 yrs (going to replace the daughter's RS1) and now the Sony. If you plan to keep a projector for 2-3 yrs, you should just plan on writing off the cost; any resale value you get will be a small fraction of your new replacement.

that's my view as well. i don't buy new enough or upgrade often enough to have much resale value by the time i'm done.

anybody interested in an epson home cinema HC720 with just under 2000hrs on the bulb? didn't think so... tongue.gif

but i know a lot of ppl that do look at resale value. it's something a lot of my friends have been using to justify why their mac's are such a great value. they overpay by 10-20% when they're new, but then they sell them the next year for 60-70% more than comparable PC's, haha. i think it's funny that something is only a good value after you sell it wink.gif but that's how some ppl upgrade constantly.
curtishd likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #95 of 4136 Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I totally agree with this Millerwill, especially in the UK as even a brand new in box projector takes a massive hit when secondhand (just look on the AVforums classifieds to see what I mean), let alone a 2 year old one. It might help if JVC allowed the warranty to be transferable between owners (they don't in the UK anyway) as this would give used buyers some confidence, otherwise a used JVC could be quite an expensive risk.

However, we don't seem to get the kind of great pre order prices that are available via AVS: Our prices start high and you might be lucky at the end of the year to pick up an ex display/end of line deal with warranty, but you're a year behind doing this of course. I know some AVSers have managed to sell there nearly one year old models for almost as much as the new model pre order price , but that just won't happen in the UK.

I don't buy any piece of AV gear that I can't afford to write off immediately and it's an old fashioned attitude, but I'd never buy any AV gear on credit for this reason. After all it's a luxury that we could do without and still survive (though much less fun of course).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #96 of 4136 Old 08-16-2013, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

i suppose that could be useful if they also added an automatic timer that switched from memory one to memory two. then you could set up memory one for a 'cold' setting and memory two for a 'warm' setting and avoid having to wait 20mins before watching, or watching the first 20mins of your movie with the image off by one pixel, haha.

i know from my own projector(x35) the blue shifts one pixel vertically after it warms up. oddly enough, that's the only shift though. imo, it's not noticeable at all with normal content though.

but really, i'm curious as well. what the demand for this would be. and why they'd include that over adding more lens memory slots, or picture settings etc

Indeed many JVC projectors have a "wandering" blue as it warms up. Mine is the same. I did have another one where red and blue panels rotated in opposite directions to each other which wasn't great...but normally its blue. If the pixel adjustment memories were on a timer that would be great...but if you have to manually switch them, it wouldn't be worthwhile for the sake of 15-20 minutes of warm-up. Also as discussed in other threads, red/green convergence is the one that matters. Red/blue or green/blue has very very little affect on the perceived sharpness of the image.
post #97 of 4136 Old 08-16-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Indeed many JVC projectors have a "wandering" blue as it warms up. Mine is the same. I did have another one where red and blue panels rotated in opposite directions to each other which wasn't great...but normally its blue. If the pixel adjustment memories were on a timer that would be great...but if you have to manually switch them, it wouldn't be worthwhile for the sake of 15-20 minutes of warm-up. Also as discussed in other threads, red/green convergence is the one that matters. Red/blue or green/blue has very very little affect on the perceived sharpness of the image.

I was being a little silly when I wrote that post, but it was the only purpose I could think of. hopefully it's not a sign of worse 'wandering' in the new models, haha.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #98 of 4136 Old 08-16-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I was being a little silly when I wrote that post, but it was the only purpose I could think of. hopefully it's not a sign of worse 'wandering' in the new models, haha.

There has been discussion about the merits of whole pixel shifting vs part pixel - the latter involving scaling. Maybe this would allow for one setting for each for, say, movie watching vs internet.
post #99 of 4136 Old 08-16-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haw View Post

Don't get me wrong, I think e-shift is the best pixel smoothing option available that, IMHO, can be set to make a real enhancement. But at best it can only use the 4K input data to improve the smoothing process. While it can shift the 1080 size pixel by a 4K amount and overwrite 1/4 of the pixel alongside, the other 3/4ths of the pixel is also overwriting whatever is 'behind' it.
post #100 of 4136 Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 575
The existing JVC e shift takes input resolutions up to 1080p and upscales them to UHD. At that point the process extracts two 1080 p frames from the upscaled 4K frame and these are overlapped by 1/4 pixel both horizontally and vertically by the e shift element to fool your eye into seeing the UHD number of pixels. The new e shift this year evidently uses a new processor chip to skip the upscaling when the source input id UHD. But from that point, things are pretty much the same, with the need to create two 1080p frames for sequential flashing with e shift. 4K inputs sound like a good idea but in reality it may not mean much until 4K sources start to proliferate.

To me, the exiting thing about the coming new models is that JVC has improved the performance of its chips and this alone will cause mass machine flippings this year.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #101 of 4136 Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 PM

E-shift can display a 4K grid, but has pretty crude control of what goes into those small pixels. Its like trying to paint a 1" strip with a 4" paintbrush. E-shift might figure out it wants to light up one 4K sized pixel, but it has to use a 2K 'brush' which forces it to light up another 3 pixels. Good for smoothing but not able to access individual 4K pixels.

I still love my X75 and wouldn't swap it for other products in or near the same price bracket. Based on what is known so far, the new models are incremental upgrades of the same platform and I don't think I will need to upgrade. Unless 'Extremely improved Dynamic range' turns out to be true!
post #102 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd take the 'extremely improved dynamic range' with a big pinch of salt myself: Every year we hear about an increase in ANSI contrast...by now the JVCs should be over 1000:1 if this was to be believed. tongue.gif I missed out a number of generations going from a HD350 (RS10) to an X35 (RS46) last Decemeber and there is an improvement, but IMHO the ones that went in between must have been very incremental especially for 2D (since I have no interest in headaches I get from watching 3D).

Of course they have to try to talk us up to get more sales, but I'm really starting to get cynical about new models coming out every year (not just projectors). Fine if you haven't got anything at the moment (or a very old model) but just getting the new model because your current one is about to replaced is (IMVHO) a mug's game.

post #103 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I'd take the 'extremely improved dynamic range' with a big pinch of salt myself: Every year we hear about an increase in ANSI contrast...by now the JVCs should be over 1000:1 if this was to be believed. tongue.gif I missed out a number of generations going from a HD350 (RS10) to an X35 (RS46) last Decemeber and there is an improvement, but IMHO the ones that went in between must have been very incremental especially for 2D (since I have no interest in headaches I get from watching 3D).

Of course they have to try to talk us up to get more sales, but I'm really starting to get cynical about new models coming out every year (not just projectors). Fine if you haven't got anything at the moment (or a very old model) but just getting the new model because your current one is about to replaced is (IMVHO) a mug's game.

I am pretty sure the dynamic range refers to native contrast. The ANSI contrast has been fairly flat for JVC projectors over the years with the only deviation being e-shift1 projectors which were worse due to the e-shift element. It is clear that JVC have opted to play safe this year (which is correct in my opinion), and simply release another round of optimisations to an existing chassis design. Without any prospect of 4K material outside of the very limited resources in the US (such as downloading UHD movies on a PS4), JVC have rather cleverly tinkered with the idea of 4K input as a way of dipping their toes with minimal investment. I am sure there will be around a 10K contrast ratio improvement to each of the models from last year, and some optimisations in the e-shift algorithm and motion handling algorithm. It would make no sense for them to invest too much considering that they should be investing most of their efforts in the range that come out next year which will be 4K and HDMI 2.0 and be compatible with everything etc.

I would have liked the compatibility with "Mastered in 4K" blu-rays on the current range (with the slightly expanded colourspace), which is nothing that I believe couldn't have been achieved in firmware. I "think" it may be possible with the X75/X95 to create a profile for this as you can define the R,G,B coordinate positions directly on a PC as a custom preset, and then use a Spyder 4 with JVCs own auto-calibration software.
post #104 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I know the ANSI contrast has been flat for years, but it doesn't stop it being talked up every year when the new models are announced. The 'improved dynamic range' should show in the on/off contrast specs anyway, so for me it's just stating the same thing twice (and IMHO it's over hyping it anyway if we're talking a 10,000:1 increase over the current figures). Trouble is this kind of 'fluffy' marketing speak can easily get turned into something more significant in people's minds so I'm just doing my usual down playing of the new models in the hope that some people keep their feet on the ground. I'm not buying one anyway, so it's not as if I'm going to be effected either way.

post #105 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Its an upgrade over previous models, not a lot but a tad bit. For someone who doesn't have a jvc can get one this year that's an upgrade over last year. Or if some can upgrade for minimal, its not all that bad. Plus, most know what they are buying, no need to sway them away
post #106 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

My view from the UK is that you can't upgrade for minimal (I know it might be different over there, but plenty of UK based readers follow these threads wink.gif). Over here I think it would be hard to get more than £3000 for a used X55 (without warranty since it can't be transferred remember), then around £5,000 for another X55 at the current price (making a big assumption that the replacement will be similar price over here to the last one). Remember also that the price difference in the UK between the X35 and X55 is virtually doubling the price for the X55, not the small increase that you can pay in the USA from RS46 to RS56, so our market is a bit different to the USA one.

So for such a small different/improvement that's a major expense IMHO. But if upgrading from an older model or different make perhaps then I can understand people buying one.

Remember it's only IMHO, but sometimes I think the hype that builds up in these threads gets a bit silly, so I think it's important that a realistic opinion is also heard. I got a PM a couple of years ago for posting similar in the RS40 preview thread (IIRC) telling me that I shouldn't post or words to that effect as I'd obviously burst someone's bubble.But we should remember that most updates are very incremental improvements that may not even be obvious in a less than ideal room (ie many of us) unless compared side by side to the old model(s).

post #107 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My view from the UK is that you can't upgrade for minimal (I know it might be different over there, but plenty of UK based readers follow these threads wink.gif). Over here I think it would be hard to get more than £3000 for a used X55 (without warranty since it can't be transferred remember), then around £5,000 for another X55 at the current price (making a big assumption that the replacement will be similar price over here to the last one). Remember also that the price difference in the UK between the X35 and X55 is virtually doubling the price for the X55, not the small increase that you can pay in the USA from RS46 to RS56, so our market is a bit different to the USA one.

So for such a small different/improvement that's a major expense IMHO. But if upgrading from an older model or different make perhaps then I can understand people buying one.

Remember it's only IMHO, but sometimes I think the hype that builds up in these threads gets a bit silly, so I think it's important that a realistic opinion is also heard. I got a PM a couple of years ago for posting similar in the RS40 preview thread (IIRC) telling me that I shouldn't post or words to that effect as I'd obviously burst someone's bubble.But we should remember that most updates are very incremental improvements that may not even be obvious in a less than ideal room (ie many of us) unless compared side by side to the old model(s).

I know what you mean
post #108 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yeah, I bet there is very little difference between the RS40-RS45-RS46 models except that the RS46 has the new lamp. Same for other corresponding model #'s in the same range. I have a RS40 and think I am going to get a RS57 this year so the step-up in model(contrast), e-shift, and new lamp should be a noticeable increase for me.

Mike

WTB: DPI Cine LED 1000 projector
post #109 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Not too many people change their base model jvc every year. I can understand more on the high end models. For instance, RS25, then upgrade to 50 for 3D, then upgrade to 55 for eshift, then upgrade to 56 for auto cal and new bulb design, now the 57 is rumored to have even more features such as 4K signal, new eshift, hopefully new auto cal, new chip, and dynamic contrast. We still will have to wait 5 weeks to fully find out. If it does take a 4K signal, all the other 4k downloadable and streaming devices will hopefully work with the jvc and the projector will do its best to replicate most of the 4K resolution and color.

Its most likely a good amount cheaper than a native 4k projector from jvc next year, which will put the second cycle of jvc 4k projectors coming out late 2015 at $10K. By that time we can make a decision depending on content if its ready to dump our rs57 and 67s. At least that's what I'm thinking and hoping.
post #110 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

To me, the exiting thing about the coming new models is that JVC has improved the performance of its chips . . .

I dunno'. Shouldn't that be JVC has allegedly improved the performance . . . and will the improvement be more than an incremental gain?
post #111 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

To me, the exiting thing about the coming new models is that JVC has improved the performance of its chips and this alone will cause mass machine flippings this year.

Hi Mark,

What substantive performance improvements are you expecting?

Noah
post #112 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:

Exactly. The hype always is larger than the real world gains. I am curious to see these machines at Cedia, but anyone expecting major improvements from last year is going to be let down. Hype is fun, but I think it's important to also keep things real and in perspective. I hope there is more to these machines than these early rumors suggest as well which would make sitting out another year an easy decision with my 45.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #113 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Hi Mark,

What substantive performance improvements are you expecting?

I would like to know too! Last year they said a new generation of panels and new chips as well.
post #114 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Exactly. The hype always is larger than the real world gains. I am curious to see these machines at Cedia, but anyone expecting major improvements from last year is going to be let down. Hype is fun, but I think it's important tro also keep things real and in perspective. I hope there is more to these machines than these early rumors suggest as well which would make sitting out another year an easy decision with my 45.

Anyone hoping for improvements in the base/entry-level model is going to be out of luck every year. Improvements and new features go into the higher end models
post #115 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
With faster panels, should come less ghosting in 3D and better motion both 2D & 3D, the enhanced dynamic range should maintain existing CR at the very least. Will they incorporate variable speed panels?, higher CR under certain circumstances and lesser CR under other circumstances, this way they can claim the higher CR in the specifications.

Looks like we will have to wait till 2015 models for any major tech upgrade.....not a bad thing, by then UHD source material should be here in reasonable numbers.....and give me more time to save some $$$!

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #116 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Exactly. The hype always is larger than the real world gains. I am curious to see these machines at Cedia, but anyone expecting major improvements from last year is going to be let down. Hype is fun, but I think it's important to also keep things real and in perspective. I hope there is more to these machines than these early rumors suggest as well which would make sitting out another year an easy decision with my 45.

don't you remember the hype at the onset of the RS40 release? The forum was buzzing with fun and anticipation.

Then someone's lamp died and the s..... hit the fan. cool.gif

I have a friends X35 here I'm calibrating, this is one of the best samples of any projector i've seen. The focus and convergence are 100% dead on and it looks excellent on the big HP. I'd like to see them do premium edition where it's not just hand picked parts, but has some kind of QA certification. The criteria is super easy - it just needs excellent focus and convergence. smile.gif I think there's certain folks that would pay extra for a golden sample or something close to it.

I'm still curious to hear about the new models, I think the big stuff is going to happen this time next year.
post #117 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

don't you remember the hype at the onset of the RS40 release? The forum was buzzing with fun and anticipation.

I have a friends X35 here I'm calibrating, this is one of the best samples of any projector i've seen. The focus and convergence are 100% dead on and it looks excellent on the big HP. I'd like to see them do premium edition where it's not just hand picked parts, but has some kind of QA certification. The criteria is super easy - it just needs excellent focus and convergence. smile.gif I think there's certain folks that would pay extra for a golden sample or something close to it.

I'm still curious to hear about the new models, I think the big stuff is going to happen this time next year.

After the RS40, there wasn't much hype with the 45 and 46, it was the eshift models.
post #118 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The hard part is to guarantee the convergence performance over time. It's even harder to guarantee as the package gets into UPS/FedEX's hands. Throwing projectors around can be pretty detrimental to perfect convergence pre-shipment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey
post #119 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

After the RS40, there wasn't much hype with the 45 and 46, it was the eshift models.

For 2D, the RS46 / X35 was imo the overall best bang for the buck this year. The price was right there with the Epson 5020 and Panasonic 8000, less than the Mitsubishi HC8000 and the Sony HW50.

They definitely improved the 3D and the color gamut is excellent out of the box. Saturation tracking is very good as well. 2D PQ is naturally sharp without the need for reality creation or super resolution.

I still maintain my position on e-shift 1 and 2. it's only because I stared / studied it for weeks in a direct A/B. The actual optical shift itself looked different to me, a bit more coarse than e-shift 1.

I'm curious to see what they do for round # 3 on e-shift.
post #120 of 4136 Old 08-17-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Hi guys. I am still at the rehabilitation center and running a high fever every night. I though I heard that JVC had made some chip design improvements for this years models

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X900r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page