post #1171 of 4133 Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I am wondering now if they have realised they didn't need to spin up the fans so much anymore.....the downside? perhaps the bulb life won't be quite as stunning....(!)

Was it ever proven that heat was the cause of early bulb failure on the RS40/RS45? If so, did JVC actually improve the lamp design on the newer models or really just improve the cooling?

It would suck if the great bulbs from last year now start dying because of insufficient cooling. I guess one can always run them in high-altitude mode as a precaution and deal with the noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Was it ever proven that heat was the cause of early bulb failure on the RS40/RS45? If so, did JVC actually improve the lamp design on the newer models or really just improve the cooling?

It would suck if the great bulbs from last year now start dying because of insufficient cooling. I guess one can always run them in high-altitude mode as a precaution and deal with the noise.

Well of course JVC have never really admitted the problem or what the reason is. We suspect its cooling because an iteration of the bulb (version 3b) including a special additional cooling fin on the bulb assembly. So we naturally conclude that the bulb issues were due to heat flow.

I am absolutely sure JVC will not have gone backwards like the first bulbs on this projector chassis. But there were a lot of complaints about fan noise on the 2013 models. It may be that they can reduce the fan speed without any loss of bulb life because the fan is simply going faster than needed. Or perhaps there is a good middle ground where the bulb does run hotter due to lower fan speeds, but lasts long enough to have satisfied customers. What JVC cannot do from seeing pictures of a teardown is increase the fan diameter so that they can reduce fan speed (i.e. you can have a bigger fan run slower but provide the same airflow as a smaller fan running faster). Maybe they have also found ways to soundproof it, but I suspect they have just tinkered with the speed. The fans are not fundamentally bad/cheap noisy ones like in some PCs smile.gif
post #1173 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
There's more to it than just fan speed tho....Static pressure reduces airflow so reducing restrictions and making the airflow path more efficient would reduce static pressure and noise and improve cooling. The pitch of the fan blade in conjunction with it's RPM have a lot to do with how much noise the fan makes. If the static pressure can be reduced then it's possible a quieter fan could be used (one with less blade pitch and/or lower RPM). Additionally it's rather simple to place a temp sensor located somewhere in the air-path and use that to monitor and control fan speed as req'd. If they just substituted a quieter fan knowing that temps would increase that would be a fairly poor design decision unless they felt they had a sufficient temperature margin to run the lamps hotter with no effect on lamp performance..

Geof
post #1174 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Does anybody actually think that JVC is going to go screw up there current lamp design? JVC had to take a hit in sales because of the lamp issues. I doubt that they would want to go through that again.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1175 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

There's more to it than just fan speed tho....Static pressure reduces airflow so reducing restrictions and making the airflow path more efficient would reduce static pressure and noise and improve cooling. The pitch of the fan blade in conjunction with it's RPM have a lot to do with how much noise the fan makes. If the static pressure can be reduced then it's possible a quieter fan could be used (one with less blade pitch and/or lower RPM). Additionally it's rather simple to place a temp sensor located somewhere in the air-path and use that to monitor and control fan speed as req'd. If they just substituted a quieter fan knowing that temps would increase that would be a fairly poor design decision unless they felt they had a sufficient temperature margin to run the lamps hotter with no effect on lamp performance..

Good points Geoff, although I wonder how much "change" that would be considered chassis changes JVC would still make at this point. But one thing I do know is why JVC do not use a temp sensor to adjust fan speed. It is because any fan will introduce resonances at certain speeds, especially as there are multiple fans which of course can interact with each other. JVC ensure no resonances exist anywhere near the fan speeds used and therefore the best implementation is the simplest.

To Mike's point...I am not suggesting, and have not suggested for a second that JVC are going to screw up the bulb design this year. What I was trying to say is perhaps they over-engineered it this year resulting in the bulb lasting longer than the spec and the downside being the fan noise. So they could trim the fan speeds back a bit which may mean the bulb life isn't quite as spectacular but still meet JVCs published specifications.
post #1176 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
The upcoming projectors use the same bulb in the current model, which has been outstanding so far.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #1177 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 293
If it isn't broke, you run the risk of introducing problems if you change it and that risk may outweigh any designed in incremental improvement. The bulb last year was really really good.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1178 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 10:49 AM

Liked: 13
All this bulb talk, I assume the current bulbs are not compatible with the RS45/55/65.
post #1179 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk576c View Post

All this bulb talk, I assume the current bulbs are not compatible with the RS45/55/65.

Correct. JVC went with a new design with the 46/56/66 series. The new design required a new power supply, so not backwards comparable.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1180 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked: 13
Which is one of the reasons I'm looking at the 4910. My RS40 has the original bulb and very few hours. I have finally been able to start using it more, and I keep waiting for the bulb to start rapidly dimming, or fail. That, with lens memory on my 2:40 screen and all the other improvements, look like reason enough to upgrade and wait a few years to let 4K sort itself out.
post #1181 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The talk about the bulb performance improvement in the JVC projectors intrigues me.

I have the RS55 so I don't get the better bulb life of the newer models. I'm wondering if this could be significant in terms of possibly upgrading to one of these new JVCs, assuming they too maintain higher bulb brightness for longer.

One of the reasons I'm seriously interested in the Sony 500ES is the added brightness. I suppose one reason is likely that my bulb has dimmed over time - I remember thinking it was really bright at almost any image size when I first got my RS55. If a newer JVC would keep a like-new brightness for a seriously longer time...and maybe even if it's also quieter in high bulb mode as well...perhaps this can get me some of what I want from the sony in terms of a brighter image. (I know the JVCs can never actually reach the same brightness, which is especially a concern with 3D).
post #1182 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 12:07 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Ok question to all the experts, if I want to upgrade my JVC RS35U that is now over three years old which model should I choose?
post #1183 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

The talk about the bulb performance improvement in the JVC projectors intrigues me.

I have the RS55 so I don't get the better bulb life of the newer models. I'm wondering if this could be significant in terms of possibly upgrading to one of these new JVCs, assuming they too maintain higher bulb brightness for longer.

One of the reasons I'm seriously interested in the Sony 500ES is the added brightness. I suppose one reason is likely that my bulb has dimmed over time - I remember thinking it was really bright at almost any image size when I first got my RS55. If a newer JVC would keep a like-new brightness for a seriously longer time...and maybe even if it's also quieter in high bulb mode as well...perhaps this can get me some of what I want from the sony in terms of a brighter image. (I know the JVCs can never actually reach the same brightness, which is especially a concern with 3D).

The 55 was quieter than last years models. Do not know that I would expect the new JVC's to be quitter than what you have. The new JVC's will be brighter than what you have and the lamp should dim at a much slower rate. If you are fine with your 55 in high lamp, then you should be fine with the new JVC in high lamp.

post #1184 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Ok question to all the experts, if I want to upgrade my JVC RS35U that is now over three years old which model should I choose?

RS57. The 57 has 120,000:1 contrast compared to your 70,000:1. It also has E-shift 3, dynamic iris and better lamp.

post #1185 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

RS57. The 57 has 120,000:1 contrast compared to your 70,000:1. It also has E-shift 3, dynamic iris and better lamp.

I would think the 49 will be a good upgrade too
post #1186 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but one thing the dynamic iris could help with is brighter corners on blackouts. I thought JVC had pretty much solved that problem a few years ago, but then with the RS45 saw some of it with multiple units. Since it tends to be most visible on the darkest images and this is where a DI can help, even if there is some non-uniformity where the corners don't get as dark as the center of the image this may not be visible in DI mode due to the darker levels making this harder to see.

Hopefully other visible non-uniformity won't be caused by closing an iris too far. This was an issue I saw with a Panasonic AE4000 that I had where the image would become very non-uniform at the most closed iris position. With real content it may not have been that much of an issue if I had used the aggressive iris mode, but it became pretty visible when measuring on/off CR even though all parts of the image were doing at least 100k:1 IIRC (some were just doing a lot more than 100k:1).

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #1187 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I would think the 49 will be a good upgrade too

Yes it would be a decent upgrade, just hated to go backwards in contrast. of course with the dynamic iris, it could be an improvement depending on his situation (iris opening).

post #1188 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but one thing the dynamic iris could help with is brighter corners on blackouts. I thought JVC had pretty much solved that problem a few years ago, but then with the RS45 saw some of it with multiple units. Since it tends to be most visible on the darkest images and this is where a DI can help, even if there is some non-uniformity where the corners don't get as dark as the center of the image this may not be visible in DI mode due to the darker levels making this harder to see.

Hopefully other visible non-uniformity won't be caused by closing an iris too far. This was an issue I saw with a Panasonic AE4000 that I had where the image would become very non-uniform at the most closed iris position. With real content it may not have been that much of an issue if I had used the aggressive iris mode, but it became pretty visible when measuring on/off CR even though all parts of the image were doing at least 100k:1 IIRC (some were just doing a lot more than 100k:1).

--Darin

Good thinking. Darin, do you sit around all day thinking this stuff up? smile.gif

post #1189 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Good stuff Darin!

Geof
post #1190 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I had the X90 and the lamp was a problem for dimming. My X95 has been fantastic and Im close on 600 hrs. JVC certainly fixed the problem last year.
post #1191 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
So, who here with a JVC uses it for watching 3D movies and are you happy? How big/type a screen do you use?

I only started getting into 3D recently on my RS55. I think it's really cool but of course a bit dimmer than I'd like (and crosstalk isn't always too great). Which is one thing that attracts me to the brighter Sony projector.
I wonder if the new JVCs would be a bit better with 3D as well.
post #1192 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I am not suggesting, and have not suggested for a second that JVC are going to screw up the bulb design this year. What I was trying to say is perhaps they over-engineered it this year resulting in the bulb lasting longer than the spec and the downside being the fan noise. So they could trim the fan speeds back a bit which may mean the bulb life isn't quite as spectacular but still meet JVCs published specifications.

Maybe JVC wanted to be 110% sure that the bulb issues would not continue in 2013 so they did both just in case - improve the bulb and crank up the fans to reduce heat. Maybe that was overkill and they learned that swapping the bulb would have been sufficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

--Darin

While that sounds good in theory, it's not what I see with my RS40. When I close the iris, the brighter corners become more pronounced. I think this also plays a role in lowering ANSI contrast as you close the iris. FWIW, I've seen 2 other RS40's and they all had the bright corners. So JVC has definitely not fixed the issue on that generation. Can't speak for the newer models. I also saw the problem on Sony SXRD projectors. Uniformity is the #1 problem for me with LCOS. Can anyone who saw the new 4K Sony or JVC comment on this?
post #1193 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

So, who here with a JVC uses it for watching 3D movies and are you happy? How big/type a screen do you use?

I only started getting into 3D recently on my RS55. I think it's really cool but of course a bit dimmer than I'd like (and crosstalk isn't always too great). Which is one thing that attracts me to the brighter Sony projector.

Good question. The 3D performance of the RS49/57 is something I am very much interested in learning more about. My VW95 is fantastic IMO with 3D, and if I upgrade to the JVC, I most certainly would not want to take a step back in this area - even if the JVC is better in 2D.

The VW95 uses a bulb pulsing trick to get maximum brightness when in 3D mode. Something like it alternates between running the bulb extra bright for a split second and then dimming it the next, in sync with the glasses being opened and closed. Does anyone know if JVC uses a similar approach? What can we expect in terms of lumens in 3D mode in high lamp?
post #1194 of 4133 Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

While that sounds good in theory, it's not what I see with my RS40. When I close the iris, the brighter corners become more pronounced.
Closing the iris manually and a DI working while you are watching things are somewhat different though since the DI tends to keep your eye adjusted to a higher average light level.

If they do create more non-uniformity as the iris closes that is a problem like I mentioned, but I do think the DI can help make those brighter corners less visible in general even if they become a little more visible when closing the iris manually.

As far as ANSI CR going down as the iris is closed, another possible benefit of the DI is getting the most ANSI CR where it matters most (brighter scenes). For some of the darkest scenes the ANSI CR can start to matter a lot less because it is the black floor from on/off CR that is the most limiting. Although if a person doesn't use a more open iris position during DI mode than they would have when using the iris manually they aren't going to get higher ANSI CR with the DI on.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #1195 of 4133 Old 10-25-2013, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The light corners issue is a bit of luck more than anything else

My X70 had light corners....the X75 has absolutely none at all

But there is a valid point that if the image is bright so that your pupils close right down, and then it suddenly goes dark, you won't notice it. You need a long dark scene to tune into it.

Has the reason for the light corners ever been understood?
post #1196 of 4133 Old 10-25-2013, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Hi Rich,

I use an X35 with four of JVC own glasses plus two 3D glasses from my Panasonic 55VT50. Both types of glasses look the same and have the same brightness on my HP screens. However, I prefer the JVC's since the glass is bigger on those. I have two screens, one 119'' 1.78:1 HP and one 2.40:1 HCHP with the same width (263 cm). There is some crosstalk visible, but it is rare and I can easily ignore it. There are some flickering as well but I'm not too bothered with that either. Brightness wise it's ok when I run on low lamp (250 h) with open iris, not so much when I clamp it down. I prefer the brightness with high lamp, but it's just too darn loud. If I switch seat in the sofa until I see unity gain, the 3D is still watchable in low lamp, though it lacks a bit of punch and luster compared to the sweetspot.

I was actually about to write you and ask your opinion on screens as I'm about to move to a new house and will get the opportunity to do my own projection/music room. I recall you have done quite a lot of research on screen materials and screen sizes and you have a JVC like me. The room is 15.4' by 20.3' so I reckon screen size will be limited by brightness alone. I want a wider viewing area so the HP/HCHP is not ideal. In addition, there is a slight structure from the beads that is visible in brighter scenes that I would like to get rid of. My idea was to get an approx. 10' wide 2.40:1 fixed screen and keep the HP/HCHP as drop down screens for 3D. However, I'm very hesitant on the material. I'm leaning towards either the Studiotek 130 or the JKP 1.1 materials (or perhaps the JKP 1.3?). My concerns are, i) will they be bright enough (the Studiotek would help here) and ii) how visible is the sheen from the studiotek? I would like to get a completely 'invisible' material if possible and I'm not sure if the Studiotek really is? Since you have it at home would you care to comment on visible sheen and brightness at the sizes you use? I will sit 11-12' from the screen and I plan making the front wall, ceiling and walls closest to the screen black..

/Ted
post #1197 of 4133 Old 10-25-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Yes it would be a decent upgrade, just hated to go backwards in contrast. of course with the dynamic iris, it could be an improvement depending on his situation (iris opening).

From Cine4home reports, the JVC projectors with 50K:1 contrast has increased little by little each year. The RS35 might get up to 40-45K:1, while the RS49 might get up to 50K:1. Or they might be the same. But the 57 is a big jump from 70k to 120K
post #1198 of 4133 Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW,
For anyone still questioning if 4K is first downscaled to 2K before the two sub frames are generated here is the answer from GaryB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB 
I can confirm there is no downscaling to 2K. To do that would rather negate the benefits of accepting a 4K signal.

In simple terms, the original eShift upscaled the 2K image to 4K before creating the 2x 2K frames which were fed to the D-ILA device.

The new version simply misses out the upscaling when fed with a 4K signal and uses the 4K signal to create the 2x 2K frames.

Geof
post #1199 of 4133 Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

For anyone still questioning if 4K is first downscaled to 2K before the two sub frames are generated here is the answer from GaryB

Thanks. I think most of us already logically concluded that this is how it would be, but it's good to have actual confirmation.
post #1200 of 4133 Old 10-25-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Thanks. I think most of us already logically concluded that this is how it would be, but it's good to have actual confirmation.
Agreed on all counts!

Geof
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page