NEW RANGE JVC 2014 - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1891 of 4136 Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,885
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Thanks. In my case I have a 96x52 screen (106" diag). Top of screen is about 4" from ceiling.

So in this case how does your. 80% number translate into how flush I can mount to the ceiling? Currently the chief mount I use sits so hat the lens is also about 4" from ceiling. Does that work, and if so, will I be using a lot or a little vertical shift?

Also my throw distance from this mount position is about 15' 7". Does this work, and if so is this short, mid, or long throw?

Thanks!

Mark posted the relevant information. The less lens shift used the better and if not creating a head knocking situation or a WAF situation, place the lens at top of image height if possible. Throw distance does not come into the equation for lens shift. Only image height.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1892 of 4136 Old 11-29-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjlewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 1,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am considering the RS6710 for my basement family room. I have blackout blinds and decent light control for movies but plan to have ambient light for games and sports.

I am getting a SI Black Diamond 133" diagonal 2.35:1 screen with a gain of 1.4. The ceiling is 8' high. The screen measures 52x122 and will start at around 7'5" high. I plan to use memory zoom for both 16:9 and 2.35:1. The Projector will be mounted in the center of the screen horizontally. It will be ceiling mounted at 15.5'. One row of seating at 13' but i have room to move back an addition two feet or so.

Like others, the projectorcentral calculator has me confused and concerned about the brightness. The calculator indicates the JVCs are brighter than the Sonys!?

1. What is an accurate brightness figure for the RS6710 from my mounting distance, with my screen size and type?
2. If the projectorcentral calculator is incorrect, how do you correctly calculate brightness?
3. Is the RS6710 a good match for this viewing environment?

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. Thanks.

kjlewie

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
kjlewie is offline  
post #1893 of 4136 Old 11-29-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,885
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

I am considering the RS6710 for my basement family room. I have blackout blinds and decent light control for movies but plan to have ambient light for games and sports.

I am getting a SI Black Diamond 133" diagonal 2.35:1 screen with a gain of 1.4. The ceiling is 8' high. The screen measures 52x122 and will start at around 7'5" high. I plan to use memory zoom for both 16:9 and 2.35:1. The Projector will be mounted in the center of the screen horizontally. It will be ceiling mounted at 15.5'. One row of seating at 13' but i have room to move back an addition two feet or so.

Like others, the projectorcentral calculator has me confused and concerned about the brightness. The calculator indicates the JVCs are brighter than the Sonys!?

1. What is an accurate brightness figure for the RS6710 from my mounting distance, with my screen size and type?
2. If the projectorcentral calculator is incorrect, how do you correctly calculate brightness?
3. Is the RS6710 a good match for this viewing environment?

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. Thanks.

kjlewie

16/17 FL low lamp and 23 high lamp. Feel glad you got on the list. Only one open spot as of right now.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1894 of 4136 Old 11-29-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Feel glad you got on the list. Only one open spot as of right now.

Interesting. So I gather the new JVCs have proven to be a popular buy here, is that right?

I'm just wondering because the Sony 500ES has been seen as this year's game-changer, and at least over on the AVForum there was lots of criticism and "JVC really blew it this year, who is going to want to buy one?" when JVC didn't come out with a true 4K projector to compete. But then, in the UK the JVC is much more expensive than here and in more direct competition with the Sony price-wise.
R Harkness is offline  
post #1895 of 4136 Old 11-29-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,885
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Interesting. So I gather the new JVCs have proven to be a popular buy here, is that right?

I'm just wondering because the Sony 500ES has been seen as this year's game-changer, and at least over on the AVForum there was lots of criticism and "JVC really blew it this year, who is going to want to buy one?" when JVC didn't come out with a true 4K projector to compete. But then, in the UK the JVC is much more expensive than here and in more direct competition with the Sony price-wise.

The added lamp and 5 year warranty has made the 6710 a little more popular.

Added
Compared to the RS66 last year.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1896 of 4136 Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,490
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 659
What difference does the popularity of the two brands make? Overseas the prices make the Sony more popular, over here the Sony is much more expensive than all the JVCs. The issue I suppose is which projector is better disregarding the costs. The Sony is the better projector but that doesn't mean the JVCs aren't very good.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #1897 of 4136 Old 11-29-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,885
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

What difference does the popularity of the two brands make? Overseas the prices make the Sony more popular, over here the Sony is much more expensive than all the JVCs. The issue I suppose is which projector is better disregarding the costs. The Sony is the better projector but that doesn't mean the JVCs aren't very good.

Let me rephrase. The 6710 is selling better than the 66 did last year. I think that has a lot to do with the 5 year warranty and the spare lamp.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1898 of 4136 Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Mark posted the relevant information. The less lens shift used the better and if not creating a head knocking situation or a WAF situation, place the lens at top of image height if possible. Throw distance does not come into the equation for lens shift. Only image height.

Thanks. Yes I am aware that this is not related to the throw distance in any way - however as a separate point, I just want to make sure that my fixed throw distance is OK for the size screen I have. My throw is about 15' 7" with a 92x52, 106" diag. Does this work, and if so is this considered short, mid, or long throw for these JVCs?
lovingdvd is offline  
post #1899 of 4136 Old 11-29-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

What difference does the popularity of the two brands make? Overseas the prices make the Sony more popular, over here the Sony is much more expensive than all the JVCs. The issue I suppose is which projector is better disregarding the costs. The Sony is the better projector but that doesn't mean the JVCs aren't very good.

Remains to be seen which one is better. The Sony can only be better if true 4K playback is what you want with a true 4K panel. With 1080p playback (99.9% of what people will be playing back) it is unclear which will be better and I'm sure each will have its strengths for different setups. But I think it is a bit early and presumptuous to say the Sony is better at this point.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #1900 of 4136 Old 11-29-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Remains to be seen which one is better. The Sony can only be better if true 4K playback is what you want with a true 4K panel. With 1080p playback (99.9% of what people will be playing back) it is unclear which will be better and I'm sure each will have its strengths for different setups. But I think it is a bit early and presumptuous to say the Sony is better at this point.

Its brighter, so that alone stands out more.
blee0120 is online now  
post #1901 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Member
 
sk576c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Its brighter, so that alone stands out more.

By that logic, the Epsons are the "better" projector. But after owning (and loving) Epsons for over 4 years I went to Jvc and have loved it. Can't say I've loved the Jvc customer service I've had to deal with, but I was spoiled too long with Epsons industry leading customer service.

In any regards brighter doesn't mean better.
sk576c is offline  
post #1902 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,490
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Kris. No it isn't premature and it really has nothing to do with if you are able to get 4K content. That's a plus of course. But my statement is based on the display of 1080p content in either 2D or 3D. The Sony has a better lens, is brighter, and the list goes on. The JVCs are good , damn good, but the Sony is better. And when we get to do side by sides with production product, my conclusion will be born out.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #1903 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,885
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Thanks. Yes I am aware that this is not related to the throw distance in any way - however as a separate point, I just want to make sure that my fixed throw distance is OK for the size screen I have. My throw is about 15' 7" with a 92x52, 106" diag. Does this work, and if so is this considered short, mid, or long throw for these JVCs?

Mid throw and Foot Lamberts look good on a 1.0 gain screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1904 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,490
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Ric. Your throw is 187 inches. Your screen width is 92 inches. If you divide 187 by 92 the result is 2.03. Close enough to further refer to it as a 2.0 throw. The JVCs have a throw range from 1.4 to 2.8 times the screen width. Zoom ratio for what its worth is 2.8/1.4 or 2. OK back to throw ratios. Once again the range is 1.4 to 2.8 and your projector will be at 2.0. Mid throw would be at 2.1. I know you knew that. So you will be a little short of mid throw. In my book, the position which has lost almost all of the brightness advantage of close throw and almost all of the contrast advantage of long throw. But things should work fine at this throw and your screen is tiny so almost any projector will be bright enough even with a unity gain screen. Of course with such a screen which has a wide half gain angle, you need non reflective surfaces surrounding the screen not to lose low levels through wash out.
lovingdvd likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #1905 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 2,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

QUESTION ABOUT REMOTE CONTROL CODES:

I use an RTI remote control system and my installer will need to program in the new JVC remote codes, once I get it. Usually this is done from a remote codes data base, as there are very few commands to learn
from the supplied remotes, and much wider selection (including discrete/hex codes) from the a data base.

So my question is: generally how soon upon release do the remote control codes start showing up in available data bases? I'm hoping the JVC codes will be available before mid December.

We should probably ask Jonathan to ping Gary to see if the Remote code guide will be updated to what's new on the RS57 (I'll need them too now that I've sold my RS55), but all other codes now in the guide for the RS55 still apply so you'll have 99% already available Rich. wink.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
krichter1 is offline  
post #1906 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Kris. No it isn't premature and it really has nothing to do with if you are able to get 4K content. That's a plus of course. But my statement is based on the display of 1080p content in either 2D or 3D. The Sony has a better lens, is brighter, and the list goes on. The JVCs are good , damn good, but the Sony is better. And when we get to do side by sides with production product, my conclusion will be born out.

How can you make qualified statements about a lens you haven't seen or tested directly against the JVC? Their lenses are exceptional for the price. The Sony will indeed be brighter but ultimately that only matters if you need that extra brightness, hence my comment on being based on the viewing environment. Without a side by side evaluation if both I still call it premature. The Sony 95 was certainly not better than the equivalent JVC unless you're a gamer or want a bright projector that sacrifices contrast. The new Sony 600 could certainly be a better projector but without objective testing of both the new offerings I think you're jumping the gun.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #1907 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Also, I noticed some comments you made in the 600 thread about people claiming the color was better. Since REC709 doesn't specify a luminance value (only ratios in relation to each other) you can have two projectors thy are both calibrated to 709 bit because of overall differences in brightness the perception of color could be vastly different. Even projectors with a slightly under saturated gamut may appear better simply because the luminance values are higher. I think this has a lot to do why some prefer a brighter projector. In my case I have a X75 that in low lamp with the iris fully open delivers about 14fL which meets the SMPTE spec and is more than bright enough in my bat cave. But a brighter JVC or Sony would allow me to crank down the iris and achieve a higher contrast ratio at the same brightness.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #1908 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,490
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 659
I concede the race needs to be run before a winner can be confirmed. However, I have studied all the available info at this point, made by pronouncement, made my bet, and am standing at the cashier's window confidently awaiting the result to be declared official.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #1909 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,490
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Also, I noticed some comments you made in the 600 thread about people claiming the color was better. Since REC709 doesn't specify a luminance value (only ratios in relation to each other) you can have two projectors thy are both calibrated to 709 bit because of overall differences in brightness the perception of color could be vastly different. Even projectors with a slightly under saturated gamut may appear better simply because the luminance values are higher. I think this has a lot to do why some prefer a brighter projector. In my case I have a X75 that in low lamp with the iris fully open delivers about 14fL which meets the SMPTE spec and is more than bright enough in my bat cave. But a brighter JVC or Sony would allow me to crank down the iris and achieve a higher contrast ratio at the same brightness.

I do not believe I said the colors were better. If I did, I did not mean to do so.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #1910 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 415
You didn't. You were questioning why some might perceive colors as better or more vibrant. I was just chiming in on why that may be. I could see this happening a lot with new projectors simply because a new bulb is in use.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #1911 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I concede the race needs to be run before a winner can be confirmed. However, I have studied all the available info at this point, made by pronouncement, made my bet, and am standing at the cashier's window confidently awaiting the result to be declared official.

Please understand that I'm certainly not saying that the Sony couldn't be better. Only that we should probably wait and see both to be sure. I'm hopeful for the new Sony and excited to see it personally.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #1912 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicagoland (Naperville)
Posts: 2,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 80
MikeG - Have you hear anything about the PJ's being delayed from next week's due date due to a last minute firmware update (if so can you share the details including what needed to be updated)?

Thanks and hope everyone had a GREAT Turkey Day!! smile.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
krichter1 is offline  
post #1913 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,885
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

MikeG - Have you hear anything about the PJ's being delayed from next week's due date due to a last minute firmware update (if so can you share the details including what needed to be updated)?

Thanks and hope everyone had a GREAT Turkey Day!! smile.gif

No I have not, but I also have not asked. I will check on Monday.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1914 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Geof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Eden NY
Posts: 6,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

MikeG - Have you hear anything about the PJ's being delayed from next week's due date due to a last minute firmware update (if so can you share the details including what needed to be updated)?

Thanks and hope everyone had a GREAT Turkey Day!! smile.gif
Don't we hear pre delivery firmware update stories every year? It seems likely to me that JVC shipped the projectors before the firmware was finished/released. They can flash update them before shipping to dealers.

Geof
Geof is offline  
post #1915 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Geof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Eden NY
Posts: 6,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I concede the race needs to be run before a winner can be confirmed. However, I have studied all the available info at this point, made by pronouncement, made my bet, and am standing at the cashier's window confidently awaiting the result to be declared official.
You're probably right and I have no wager to counter with but two thoughts come to mind.....first, there will always be folks who prefer Sony over JVC (and vice versa) so the answer to any wager is dependent on who is doing the answering. Secondly, without seeing this years new JVC panels and IA your pronouncement may be a bit premature.

Actually, I will make a wager.....some will love the Sony and some will love the JVC's..... tongue.gif

Geof
Geof is offline  
post #1916 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Geof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Eden NY
Posts: 6,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

We should probably ask Jonathan to ping Gary to see if the Remote code guide will be updated to what's new on the RS57 (I'll need them too now that I've sold my RS55), but all other codes now in the guide for the RS55 still apply so you'll have 99% already available Rich. wink.gif
Exactly right I think.

Geof
Geof is offline  
post #1917 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

We should probably ask Jonathan to ping Gary to see if the Remote code guide will be updated to what's new on the RS57 (I'll need them too now that I've sold my RS55), but all other codes now in the guide for the RS55 still apply so you'll have 99% already available Rich. wink.gif

I've looked at the codes (at least the most recent I've seen), but there are only codes for Lens Memory pre-sets 1-3, whereas I want to use all 10 with the RS57. No direct access to MPC settings. Also want Clear Black direct codes, direct codes to the new Intelligent Aperture settings. Pretty much everything new I'd want to directly access is missing from the codes set I have.

This being the list I have:

http://uk.jvc-service.net/public/document.cfm?prog=docu.cfm&Model=DLA-HD350&SGK=0&SGT=0&MLDC_id=6776
R Harkness is offline  
post #1918 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,885
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Don't we hear pre delivery firmware update stories every year? It seems likely to me that JVC shipped the projectors before the firmware was finished/released. They can flash update them before shipping to dealers.

Not a question of likely. It is fact. The projectors are always shipped without the software loaded into them. This allows the JVC engineers an extra week to work on the software while the projectors are packaged and shipped. Then US (same for other countries) JVC engineers flash all of the projectors before shipping to distribution branches.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1919 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,885
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Unfortunately I can confirm, there is going to be a delay. frown.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #1920 of 4136 Old 11-30-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Eden NY
Posts: 6,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Unfortunately I can confirm, there is going to be a delay. frown.gif
Long, short, indefinite????

Geof
Geof is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X900r by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off