post #1981 of 4135 Old 12-04-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

Mike, do you have a rough estimate of when these may be shipping to those on the preorder list?

If JVC does what we have been told, then our supplier should receive next week and will immediately ship out to us.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 4135 Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok, thanks Mike. So hopefully in customers' hands by the end of the week before Christmas.

I'm excited to get my RS57, but I'm hanging onto my 4810 until I have this in my possession and set up. I probably won't list the 4810 until after Christmas, possible after January 1st. But if anyone out there might be interested in an RS-4810 with around 400 hrs originally purchased from AVS you can feel free to send me a PM.
post #1983 of 4135 Old 12-04-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just hope they come before the original bulb in my lightly used RS40 blows up!
post #1984 of 4135 Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
I just hope they come before the original bulb in my lightly used RS40 blows up!

You should be fine as long as you don't have a bunch of 24 hour Star Wars movie watching marathons in the next 2 weeks.......................biggrin.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1985 of 4135 Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

I just talked to the Store I pre ordered my X500 from and they said it should ship Dec 9th. Have to admit I am starting to question wether I should have forked over so much money for something unseen. I am sure coming from a BenQ W7000 to a JVC will be a huge jump. right? I am sure it will be lol,

Jump expected from a BenQ ====>
cardoski likes this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #1986 of 4135 Old 12-04-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I have the RS57 coming, which as we know accepts a 4K signal input. I also have the Lumagen 2041 video processor which can upscale 1080p to output
it as 4K. Of course I plan to try using the Lumagen to upscale to 4K to the projector, to see if there are any advantages to bypassing the internal 4K scaling of the JVC.

But some if the discussion in the Sony VW1000 thread about sending it 4K and the sony Reality Creation controls have me pondering the same situaiton wiht the
new JVC projectors. Sony's Reality Creation being the Sony version of JVC's MPC processing, used to add fine contrast/sharpness to the picture.

It seems with the Sony there are advantages in using the Lumagen to scale for a smoother image with less ringing. But then, also, it seems
to change the function of the Reality Creation controls. If not exactly de-activating the RC, at least making it much more subtle.

It's hard to predict the consequences of sending the JVC an upscaled 4K image. I'm wondering if any of the MPC picture processing controls will alter, or perhaps
become unavailable. The problem is JVC sends a very confused message as to what it is describing under the broad label "MPC." The JVC literature tends to refer
to talk about BOTH "upconversion/upscaling" AND additional image contrast/sharpness enhancement under the label "MPC." E.g. in such slides as these:

http://www.avsforum.com/g/i/283708/a/2256578/new-range-jvc-2014/sort/display_order/

You can see in the description of the New Auto Mode MPC slide, followed by the slide depicting how the new MPC auto mode employs the "best upconvert automatically" how they have
smushed the two things together. Of course EVERY pixel is going to be upconverted, it has to be. What they mean by "best upconvert" seems instead to be "best, most intelligent application of the MPC fine contrast/detail enhancement process" that has been done by manual sliders until now.

But at it's core, from my understanding, upconversion is just the re-scaling of a lower pixel count source to a higher pixel count display. While some judicious
level of sharpening may be used in some upscaling processes, generally speaking, upscaling itself is not a sharpness/detail/contrast control, but has the job of
re-scaling the image.

On my RS55 this separation of duties can be seen in that I can turn E-shift on and off - on being the simple upscaling of the 1080p image to pseudo-4K and then optically shifted. Whereas engaging the "MPC" control afterward then begins to add fine contrast/sharpening to the image. But in the JVC literature it tends to refer to BOTH the upscaling process AND the additional
controls for adding fine contrast as "MPC" and call "MPC" "upconversion." Which is technically confusing.

I have a feeling JVC is using a sort of loose meaning of "upconversion" in that the public, back when there was the upscaling/upconversion DVD players to HD display furor going on, tended to be sold as "making SD look more like HD on your HD display." So "upconversion" in still being used as a catch-all phrase to include "making the lower resolution source look higher resolution, on your higher resolution display." Personally, I just wish JVC would be more careful in it's descriptions. For one thing, as I started off saying, since JVC places all sorts of processes under the banner "MPC" including upconversion, it leaves me wondering how JVC has actually conected those processes in it's projector. I would think that I could send the JVC
a 4K signal and there would still be MPC controls for adding the fine contrast/detail enhancement, just as if I had let the JVC itself upscale to 4K first. But...who knows? Maybe the MPC controls have been linked to the JVC doing the upscaling. Maybe the new auto mode will be unavailable when the JVC sees a 4K input signal, or maybe all the MPC image enhancement settings won't work. As far as I know, JVC hasn't said anything about what image enhancement features (MPC) will work with 4K signals or not.

Any predictions? (Or corrections to my understanding of the above...)

Rich, we know this… E-Shift technology exploits both spatial and temporal means to present a 4K-like image, all while using standard 1080p imagers in the projector. First, the projector takes 1080p video and scales it to 4K-like resolution at the video processing stage. There are several detail enhancement algorithms at this stage, which as you say JVC calls “Multiple Pixel Control”, with the name alluding to a standard feature of inherent scaling (and proprietary associated processing), whereby groups of pixels are analysed so intelligent guesses can be made for interpolating up to a higher perceived resolution. IMO it would stand to reason the processed input by the Lumagen would be about as clean and ring free as possible but MPC must be forced/employed to get the image up to that "4K" resolution and thus I would think only help (not hurt), the final image. However at this point until we see the usual (hopeful!) Ekki review or others here we trust it's anyone's guess on how the two will really play in the same sandbox. I'm still hopeful (maybe even expect), the Darblet plays a positive role in the chain as well. Again we won't know till we put this all through our discerning eye test. wink.gif

In terms of contrast enhancement e-shift has been described by some sources I've read as having an impact on the contrast performance of the projector, but I feel this isn’t actually the case. Their marketing info (perhaps disingenuously) refers to the “Dynamic Contrast” feature of the MPC sharpening algorithm as a contributing source which IMO should not be touched with a ten foot pole if your goal is to output accurate video (let your 125pt calibration handle all that). There's no hard evidence I've seen to suggest that the inclusion of e-shift/MPC in the optical path would improve (or substantially reduce), actual contrast performance with accurate video.

Just my 2 cents. smile.gif

Kevin

post #1987 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Rich, we know this… E-Shift technology exploits both spatial and temporal means to present a 4K-like image, all while using standard 1080p imagers in the projector. First, the projector takes 1080p video and scales it to 4K-like resolution at the video processing stage. There are several detail enhancement algorithms at this stage, which as you say JVC calls “Multiple Pixel Control”, with the name alluding to a standard feature of inherent scaling (and proprietary associated processing), whereby groups of pixels are analysed so intelligent guesses can be made for interpolating up to a higher perceived resolution. IMO it would stand to reason the processed input by the Lumagen would be about as clean and ring free as possible but MPC must be forced/employed to get the image up to that "4K" resolution and thus I would think only help (not hurt), the final image. However at this point until we see the usual (hopeful!) Ekki review or others here we trust it's anyone's guess on how the two will really play in the same sandbox. I'm still hopeful (maybe even expect), the Darblet plays a positive role in the chain as well. Again we won't know till we put this all through our discerning eye test. wink.gif

In terms of contrast enhancement e-shift has been described by some sources I've read as having an impact on the contrast performance of the projector, but I feel this isn’t actually the case. Their marketing info (perhaps disingenuously) refers to the “Dynamic Contrast” feature of the MPC sharpening algorithm as a contributing source which IMO should not be touched with a ten foot pole if your goal is to output accurate video (let your 125pt calibration handle all that). There's no hard evidence I've seen to suggest that the inclusion of e-shift/MPC in the optical path would improve (or substantially reduce), actual contrast performance with accurate video.

Just my 2 cents. smile.gif

But Kevin, on the projector you have, if you have MPC set to anything other than 0 than you already have the contrast enhancing features of MPC enabled!! It only plays with the contrast at object edges and uses the additional pixels over the original 1080p frame to achieve it. On the current models and forthcoming models, you can control that feature independently, but on yours, if MPC is set to 1,2,3 then you have varying degrees of edge and contrast enhancement enabled.
post #1988 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

But Kevin, on the projector you have, if you have MPC set to anything other than 0 than you already have the contrast enhancing features of MPC enabled!! It only plays with the contrast at object edges and uses the additional pixels over the original 1080p frame to achieve it. On the current models and forthcoming models, you can control that feature independently, but on yours, if MPC is set to 1,2,3 then you have varying degrees of edge and contrast enhancement enabled.

Yes sir! I was attempting to speak about pure contrast video performance (where MPC should not be seen as a way to improve it; just that it enhances detail through pixel manipulation). I guess I could how some could see it as a contrast performance improvement; just not me from a purist view. wink.gif

Kevin

post #1989 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So for clarification is the MPC stuff tied to the eshift? Is in all part of the same option?
post #1990 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I think it is applied to the upscaled to UHD image basically after the upscaling or with respect to the new machines after the input of a UHD image. Now is processing applied to the UHD frame or is it applied to the two let's call them extracted 1080p frames that are flashed?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1991 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk576c View Post

So for clarification is the MPC stuff tied to the eshift? Is in all part of the same option?
Think of eShift as being the physical means to shift the image 1/2 pixel horizontal and vertically whereas MPC are the controls and algorithms used to modify the images prior to eShifting them so they're two parts that make it play.

Geof
post #1992 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Think of eShift as being the physical means to shift the image 1/2 pixel horizontal and vertically whereas MPC are the controls and algorithms used to modify the images prior to eShifting them so they're two parts that make it play.

Eshifting them so they're two parts.... That ties back with what Mike has repeatedly explained about how the eshift overlays two 1080p images over each other I presume...

Then you have to use the MPC functionality when using the eshift correct? Since the MPC function(s) allow eshift to do its thing.

I was curious how the Darbee improves the picture on a 4k machine. I know these are pseudo 4k machines but nonetheless a JVC 4k image will presumably look sharper and more detailed than a regular 1080p image. I'm curious if the gains from a darbee are minimized on a JVC using eshift in comparison to a projector/display running regular 1080p?
post #1993 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Just want to point out that with the current 2013 models the MPC adjustments work independently of e-shift.

You can turn off the e-shift and still adjust the image enhancement options.
post #1994 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Darbee and eshift work very well together. I have not read any posts from JVC owners who did not like the combination (altho there are those who dislike Darbee processing with any display).

Geof
post #1995 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

Eshifting them so they're two parts.... That ties back with what Mike has repeatedly explained about how the eshift overlays two 1080p images over each other I presume...

Then you have to use the MPC functionality when using the eshift correct? Since the MPC function(s) allow eshift to do its thing.

No, E-shift uses a mechanical optical process to slightly shift and overlap two images. When flashed sequentially, the overlapping grids create more, smaller
pixels - increasing the pixel count to what JVC is calling "4K." Since the images have been shifted this way to create a greater number of pixels on the screen,
the 1080p image is simultaneously re-scaled (- i.e. for any one 1080p pixel, before E-shifted what would have been shown as one pixel must after E-shifting, now be re-scaled to four pixels).

So the E-shift part is just the mechanical/optical/software re-scaling of the image to a greater perceived pixel number.

Whereas the "MPC" feature is an additional image enhancing function that increases sharpness/contrast/detail - like a sharpness or contrast control, that you can use, or turn off if you wish. On my projector the MPC image processing is only available once E-shift is engaged. But it's not the same thing, since I can engage E-shift, without
turning on the MPC controls. (Only turning on the E-shift doesn't really alter the image, except that it might actually look a tiny bit softer than the native
1080p image, and that's likely one reason JVC introduced the MPC image enhancing controls, to give a greater perception of sharpness).

Quote:

I was curious how the Darbee improves the picture on a 4k machine. I know these are pseudo 4k machines but nonetheless a JVC 4k image will presumably look sharper and more detailed than a regular 1080p image. I'm curious if the gains from a darbee are minimized on a JVC using eshift in comparison to a projector/display running regular 1080p?

The Darbee works on the JVC E-shift projectors just as well as with any other regular 1080p projector, even when you have E-shift turned on. In fact, some of us have found that the combination of JVC's MPC controls together with the Darbee sharpening is a particularly great combination!
post #1996 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just want to point out that with the current 2013 models the MPC adjustments work independently of e-shift.

You can turn off the e-shift and still adjust the image enhancement options.

By "current 2013 models" do you mean the ones that were introduced last year, e.g. the DLA-RS66, DLA-RS56, DLA-RS4810, DLA-RS48/DLA-X95R, DLA-X75R, DLA-X55R and DLA-X35?

I thought I'd read somewhere that MPC could now be used with 1080p non-Eshifted, but couldn't remember if it was just the newly announced models (that I'm waiting to receive) or whether this occurred

in the models that came out last fall.

And it brings up an interesting question then: When the first E-Shift model came out, lots of us marveled at the MPC controls in that they brought out detail and dimensionality without much of the traditional side effects of halos and ringing. This was the case with Sony's Reality Creation processing used in their 4K projector as well. It was surmised that perhaps the re-scaling
of the images on the JVC and Sony to a higher pixel count allowed some forms of image processing - using those extra pixels - that were less detrimental to the image. Which was why we were seeing this nice new processing result only in these new 4K (and faux-K) projectors. The fact that Sony's Reality Creation has been generally judged to be more crude and artificial-looking on the regular 1080p projectors vs the 4K version, seems to add weight to that idea.

But, now, if you can try the MPC controls on the JVC's while they are in regular 1080p mode, I'm really wondering what the effect is like. Whether it is any different looking than when E-shift is engaged.

Has anyone here experimented with MPC in both E-shifting and non-Eshifting the image? (Jonstatt?)

One thing that intrigues me here is this: In terms of E-shifting alone, there can sometimes be a bit of a trade-off - for the smoother image it can sometimes look a teeny bit more soft. But once I engage the MPC settings I find the effect so compelling I really want to keep the image E-shifted so I can use the MPC controls.

But the new models coming out have significantly reduced the width of the pixel grid between the pixels, apparently making them less visible for a smoother image. I'm wondering if this may well get the image close enough to E-shift in terms of image smoothness/lack of visible pixel structure, that E-shift could be left off and one can still benefit from using the MPC adjustments.

Should be interesting. I guess I'll know sometimes next week. smile.gif

(I'm getting really excited about this new RS57 projector, probably more excited than for my RS55. There are lots of interesting goodies and upgrades to try out on the RS57 this year. Further, when I was deciding between the JVC and the Sony VW500ES, one of my considerations was 3D, since I'm getting a bit more into watching 3D here and there. From my experience of the RS55, 3D is cool for a while, but a bit too unrefined to fully appreciate long 3D sessions. Whereas the Sony VW1000ES got excellent notices for 3D, which sounded good for the 500ES. So I figured that going with a new JVC projector would automatically mean just giving up on 3D for this year. But I hadn't realized that JVC had made some appreciable strides in making better 3D images in the models after the RS55. So, while I'm not expecting miracles or perfection at all, I'm now also looking forward to checking out more 3D along with the other upgrades in the new projector).
post #1997 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Rich. A minor point but its not a mechanical process at all. The e shift element uses an electrical potential to change a material property of the glass or whatever the elemt is comprised of. The potential shifts the orientation of the crystals and not something that mechanically adjusts the positioning of the element. It is a property change.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1998 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Mark. I guess I was thinking mechanical because supposedly the first E-shift had something optically causing a loss of ANSI, which was fixed in the next generation, and people said you could hear something mechanically happening when using E-shift 2 vs E-shift 1, that had to do with this fix.
post #1999 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I could always be wrong and it indeed could be an optical element moving but that is not the way I understand it works.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #2000 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

By "current 2013 models" do you mean the ones that were introduced last year, e.g. the DLA-RS66, DLA-RS56, DLA-RS4810, DLA-RS48/DLA-X95R, DLA-X75R, DLA-X55R and DLA-X35?

I thought I'd read somewhere that MPC could now be used with 1080p non-Eshifted, but couldn't remember if it was just the newly announced models (that I'm waiting to receive) or whether this occurred

in the models that came out last fall.

Yep, like with cars, I consider the models that come out at the end of the year as "next year's models". So yes, I'm referring to those that hit the market last December. In my case, the RS4810.

You can disable the eshift process (so pixels are visible and clearly defined) and still separately adjust the detail, contrast, and smoothing options.
post #2001 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Mark is correct the e-shift device changes the refraction of the crystals and slightly deviates where the pixels appear. It's not mechanical but electrical/optical.
It's explained in detail here. Short extract:

" Using e-Shift, the original 1920 x 1080 signal is processed with a correlation detection algorithm to uncover detail that can be enhanced on a 4K display. This enhancement improves edge transitions, eliminates aliasing and stair-stepping, and increases contrast in detailed areas. New sub pixels are generated based on this detection and a 3840 x 2160 frame is created. This frame is then temporally separated into subframes 1920 x 1080 pixels each and projected using the D-ILA optical system and through the e-Shift device. This device utilizes a property of liquid crystals called birefringence and can switch between straight light and refracted light by 0.5 pixel both vertically and horizontally. It has no moving parts."

Although this about the initial design, the e-shift device itself hasn't changed in its basic principle AFAIK (unless we get a new description which I haven't been able to find). Many people make a confusion between the e-shift device and the e-shift process, but I'm done trying to explain this. This confusion is partially due to JVC's literature which keeps using the same word to describe two different things (the device and the whole process, like at the beginning of the paragraph quoted above).

This being said, the e-shift device might not have any moving part, but at least in last year's models, there is a fan or a part which does make a high pitched noise when e-shift is enabled in some units/models.
It was annoying enough to be one of the reasons why I did not upgrade my rs45 to the rs48 I tested last year.
That and the higher noise in 3D/High lamp both contributed to my decision.

Hopefully both these issues will be fixed in the upcoming models.
The fan noise in 2D and 3D has been confirmed to be significantly reduced according to both the specs and first reports.
Hopefully the eshift noise will be gone too.
post #2002 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Rich. A minor point but its not a mechanical process at all. The e shift element uses an electrical potential to change a material property of the glass or whatever the elemt is comprised of. The potential shifts the orientation of the crystals and not something that mechanically adjusts the positioning of the element. It is a property change.
That was definitely true for eShift 1 where an applied voltage changed the index of refraction (in essence it changes the angle of the light passing thru the eshift element). This was a silent operation (ie, none of us heard this process). The drawback to this 1st generation eShift implementation was it reduced ANSI contrast and we all know JVC's don't need reduced ANSI. eShift 2 though makes noise....you can hear a buzzing like sound that changes based on frame rate. Also, ANSI contrast is not affected (well, maybe some but not as much as with eShift1). This implies there may be a different mechanism at work in the eSHift2 models.....

Geof
post #2003 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Speaking of ANSI contrast, I was just reading the AVS review of the LG OLED flat panel. The reviewer measured the ANSI checkerboard pattern contrast at 70,000:1 ANSI contrast.

Let that sink in for us projector owners.

SEVENTY. THOUSAND. TO. ONE! ANSI CONTRAST!

And on here an ANSI measurement on a projector of 800:1 is high-ansi contrast (with us JVC owner saying each year "could we maybe, please, have an upgrade to, like 500:1?)

It's fascinating, though, that at least in projection this relative lack of ANSI isn't so distractingly obvious for the most part, and images can still look pretty dynamic.
post #2004 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Yep, like with cars, I consider the models that come out at the end of the year as "next year's models". So yes, I'm referring to those that hit the market last December. In my case, the RS4810.

You can disable the eshift process (so pixels are visible and clearly defined) and still separately adjust the detail, contrast, and smoothing options.

So the MPC functions are used for adjusting the sharpness, contrast, smoothing, detail....... and can be used independant of the 4k eShift.

When you use the eShift it takes the pixels you see in a non eShifted image and reduces the size of the pixels and makes more pixels. Are you folks referring to the 4k eShifted image as being "softer" and "smoother"? If so I guess you mean that the pixels are now smaller, and while there is more of them they are still smaller and harder to see and therefore the image appears less pixelated and "softer/smoother".

I my experience cranking up the sharpness on my old Epson pjs and my RS45 and now RS46 resulted in the image having more detail but too much sharpness increase resulted in the image becoming grainy and less "soft/smooth" which is what I believe folks refer to as adding artifacts to the image.

So if I am understanding all this correctly, the fact that you can eShift the image to reduce pixel size and increase pixel count allows for more MPC usage which will allow more sharpening tool usage without the normal addition of artificats, though I'm sure theres still a threshold at which point using too much sharpening tool will introduce artifacts......

Then on top of that people are running the Darbee equipment which apparently adds a whole other level of sharpness, detail etc with little to no additional artifacts, atleast when not cranked to the max Darbee setting.
post #2005 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Back when flat panels were introduced I bought a Panasonic ED plasma, it was "enhanced definition" over the CRTs of the day, at 840×480 pixels. My only gripe was that I could just make out pixel structure if I got too close. Things got better with 720p resolution displays. And then once 1080p flat panels appeared, for all intents and purposes for me the pixel structure issue was gone. I really didn't feel I could see 1080p pixel structure, at least at normal viewing distances. And I remember thinking that the occasionally flat panel hater who said he couldn't stand seeing the pixels was waaaay to sensitive, if not delusional.

Fast forward to today and living first with the very smooth JVC RS20 projector, and then the RS55 for the last two years - pixels being truly invisible from any rational viewing distance. Now when I go to AV stores and see flat panels I notice the pixel structure! Now it's something I just would refuse to live with if I had any choice in the matter. A picture as smooth as the JVC produces seems to have really spoiled me in that regard.
In fact, I even tend to notice the pixel structure somewhat on the big Sony 4K flat panels, when I get into a more immersive viewing position. Not that the pixels are easily, discretely resolvable to me, but I'm just barely aware of a sort of pixel/grid/granularity that isn't there at the same viewing angle on the projector at home. FWIW.

I wonder if other JVC owners/4K display owners feel the same these days about pixels/flat panels.
post #2006 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

So the MPC functions are used for adjusting the sharpness, contrast, smoothing, detail....... and can be used independant of the 4k eShift.

When you use the eShift it takes the pixels you see in a non eShifted image and reduces the size of the pixels and makes more pixels. Are you folks referring to the 4k eShifted image as being "softer" and "smoother"? If so I guess you mean that the pixels are now smaller, and while there is more of them they are still smaller and harder to see and therefore the image appears less pixelated and "softer/smoother".

I my experience cranking up the sharpness on my old Epson pjs and my RS45 and now RS46 resulted in the image having more detail but too much sharpness increase resulted in the image becoming grainy and less "soft/smooth" which is what I believe folks refer to as adding artifacts to the image.

So if I am understanding all this correctly, the fact that you can eShift the image to reduce pixel size and increase pixel count allows for more MPC usage which will allow more sharpening tool usage without the normal addition of artificats, though I'm sure theres still a threshold at which point using too much sharpening tool will introduce artifacts......

Then on top of that people are running the Darbee equipment which apparently adds a whole other level of sharpness, detail etc with little to no additional artifacts, atleast when not cranked to the max Darbee setting.

The pixels do not become smaller. You end up with double the number of pixels and they physically overlap each other. The second 1080p frame is shifted half a pixel across and down from the first. Part of the reason the image will look a bit softer is because they overlap. However you gain a level of solidity and desirable smoothness with the image too. The MPC processing, I find, makes up for the overlapping pixels by using those extra pixels to their best advantage by providing some level of edge enhancement. I know there are some who switch all the MPC processing off and just use e-shift to provide the upscaling. I don't like that image on its own and prefer a bit of MPC processing to supplement.
post #2007 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Speaking of ANSI contrast, I was just reading the AVS review of the LG OLED flat panel. The reviewer measured the ANSI checkerboard pattern contrast at 70,000:1 ANSI contrast.

I have to say I'm skeptical about the accuracy, or even possibility, of that measurement, but even 7000:1 would be peachy and I believe well beyond the max that we can see.

Noah
post #2008 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

An ANSI of 70,000 has less of a probability of either NOAH or me making the US Olympic ski jumping team and that possibility is 0.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #2009 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

An ANSI of 70,000 has less of a probability of either NOAH or me making the US Olympic ski jumping team and that possibility is 0.
Slackers! tongue.gif

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #2010 of 4135 Old 12-05-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

When I was single, a long long time ago, I made the official US Olympic sex team. Got a team gold medal too. Drug free in those days also.. Viagra didn't exist. Actually pretty amazing what you could do at night in a 2 person mixed sex bobsled in those days.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X900r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page