Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 4136 Old 12-20-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
"Santa Baby"

Santa baby, a new projector under the tree, for me.
I've been an awful good guy,
Santa buddy, and hurry down the chimney tonight.

Santa buddy, a new JVC that has eshift 3, blur free.
I'll wait up for you dude,
Santa buddy, and hurry down the chimney tonight.

Think of all the fun I've missed,
I think of all the other hobbies that I've dissed,
Next year I could be just as good,
If you'd check off my Christmas list,

Santa pally, I wanna good blacks and really that's not a lot,
I've been a sweetie all year,
Santa buddy, so hurry down the chimney tonight.

Santa buddy, one thing that I really do need, a screen,
AT and 4K too,
Santa pally, so hurry down the chimney tonight.

Santa buddy, fill my stocking with Blue-Ray discs, no chick flicks.
Throw in a calibration tool,
Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight.

Come and trim my Christmas tree,
With some decorations bought at JVC,
I really do believe in you,
Now let's see if you believe in me

Santa poppy, forgot to mention one little thing, cha-ching,
No, I don't mean as a loan.
Santa buddy, so hurry down the chimney tonight,
Hurry down the chimney tonight,
Oh, hurry down the chimney tonight.
krichter1, pottscb, aniv and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 4136 Old 12-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

It's the same for the x90/rs65 too so I'm going to assume it's going to be the same for the new models as well.

I'm actually looking forward to buying a spyder meter to check out how well the software does on my X90.

I think I will too.

James Reid:D
post #2343 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anybody know if the DLA-RS49 model (Pro Line) is also available in white finish? Its Consumer Line twin does indeed have a white version named DLA-X500RWE...cool.gif
post #2344 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Surprised nobody is discussing the German review of the pre-production X700 linked on the previous page. Some highlights I was able to pick up:

Contrast with aperture fully open, max zoom: 42,000:1. With dynamic iris: 420,000:1. They did not measure with iris manually closed and long throw where you get maximum contrast.
Intelligent Iris unusable due to major color/gamma shifting and laggy response.
Green is still under-saturated, making it impossible to fully calibrate, although THX preset is very accurate ootb.
10 point custom gamma calibration has been removed - you now only get presets like on the Sony.
Motion interpolation is much improved with fewer artifacts.
Very little 3D ghosting. Much less than Sony VW500.
950 calibrated lumens.
Fan noise levels back down to the original X30 series.
They could not hear any buzzing when e-shift was enabled.
e-shift did not cause fine lines to become thicker as in previous generation.

Overall, they preferred the VW500 because of the 1500 lumen brightness and properly working dynamic iris which allowed it to perform similar to the JVC in dark scenes.

Keep in mind this was a pre-production model. Final models and firmware may offer different performance.
post #2345 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Surprised nobody is discussing the German review of the pre-production X700 linked on the previous page. Some highlights I was able to pick up:

Contrast with aperture fully open, max zoom: 42,000:1. With dynamic iris: 420,000:1. They did not measure with iris manually closed and long throw where you get maximum contrast.
Green is still under-saturated, making it impossible to fully calibrate, although THX preset is very accurate ootb.
10 point custom gamma calibration has been removed - you now only get presets like on the Sony.
950 calibrated lumens.
Fan noise levels back down to the original X30 series.

Overall, they preferred the VW500 because of the 1500 lumen brightness and properly working dynamic iris which allowed it to perform similar to the JVC in dark scenes.

Keep in mind this was a pre-production model. Final models and firmware may offer different performance.

At CEDIA there were many things to be worked out with the projectors. The units shown, were not anywhere close to production units. I would assume the same, with the pre-production unit tested.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #2346 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightjar View Post

Does anybody know if the DLA-RS49 model (Pro Line) is also available in white finish? Its Consumer Line twin does indeed have a white version named DLA-X500RWE...cool.gif

No. Only in excessively shiny black. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #2347 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Unless it's changed from previous models, the auto-cal software forces you to use a Spyder 3 or 4 meter.

Which auto cal software are you gents speaking of?
post #2348 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

950 calibrated lumens. Fan noise levels back down to the original X30 series.

The link didn't work for me, and I suspect others, which is why no one commented.
Certainly a mix of encouraging and discouraging results in there! Especially the Intelligent Aperture results! I know we have to keep in mind it's a pre-production model. But at the same time all the encouraging reports "looked great, couldn't see any iris pumping in action" were people looking at pre-production models as well, both at CEDIA and at more recent JVC launch events. Kind of painful to hear that, given the amazing native contrast boasted for the new JVC, let alone it's dynamic contrast, that they found little difference in black level performance to the Sony, with it's much lower native contrast. I mean, if you'd think we were buying one thing with the JVC it would at least be obviously higher contrast/better black levels!!! (That's certainly a big reason I decided to go JVC over the Sony this year).
Optimism being dialed down....
post #2349 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 100
If they took out the 11 point gamma correction... Bad move!
And it's JVC first DI (II) to them, it may not be up to sony's level. I would not expect it to be. But I hope it is.

Positives: on/off of 42,000 with iris all the way open!!! Wow.

950 lumens calibrated is very good! And with 42,000:1!!!
post #2350 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebes View Post

Hi

it was about this review from a German Forum "beisamen.de" (with two "m" or the name is not readable eek.gif), but the link was not usable :

[URL=http://******************/board/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=115505&pageNo=3]http://******************/board/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=115505&pageNo=3[/URL]

Thread : Jvc Dla-X500, Dla-X700, Dla-X900, Page 3 Posts 93 and 103.

Warning, the X700 is not a production model.

Anyone know how to make this link work, or know the forum to which it links?

(Why all the stars replacing info in the link? Is that something to do with how AVSforum handles links to other forums?)
post #2351 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 16
@ R Harkness

Here's a google translate of the link by Thebes:

*** Image impressions and measurements JVC DLA -X700 ***
JVC DLA -X700 -
The Black Master
part 1

In brief, the new JVC projectors appear on the market. I had the opportunity to be able to consider a pre-production model in more detail. Since it does not yet include the final software , explained this a few imperfections in the reproduction, which are eliminated in the final series devices ( hopefully) .
But what I have been able to see on the canvas made ​​, already huge fun.

I was curious on the light output of the JVC DLA -X700 , as the reports of "stock Finster " to " 4.40 meters image width are very well lit " rich .
In order to take the results of the measurements beforehand , both statements are completely over the top in my opinion .
But first things first .

Equipment and installation
JVC has changed a few things on the projector . New Wired grids and D- ILA devices are designed to improve the contrast range . The X700 should now be a whopping 120,000:1 on / off . The predecessor to DLA- X75 was estimated at 90.000:1 On / Off . This is an increase of over 30% .

Newly added :
- 4K Kontent can be played back natively
- An Auto Iris was implanted
- Frame Insertion (CMD ) is available for 3D

Removes were :
- Graphics in the Color Management menu
- Gamma Equalizer
- All analog image signal connections

If we look at the back of the DLA -X700 , JVC is apparently on the assumption that users connect their player device only via HDMI. About 2 HDMI ports, the playback can be done . The RS- 232 and LAN can be used to control the projector with a smartphone , and updates can be loaded via these interfaces .

Thanks motorized zoom, focus and lens shift image adjustment succeeds quickly . Within a few minutes after the projector is aligned . With the lens memory feature various image formats can be stored and retrieved easily from the seat. If you have a screen in Cinemascope Format Home Theater, can play any imaginable image formats in the correct aspect ratio . For example, movies are played in 4:3 , 16:9 and 2,39:1 with identical image height it.

The Picture menu is logical and intuitive. There are all necessary regulator is to adjust the image quickly and correctly.

For the individual picture modes , different color profiles to choose from. From standard (REC 709 ) to Adobe RGB , and more.

The color space can be adjusted quickly and precisely. The coordinates of the primary and secondary colors can be changed .

The white point can be adjusted with RGB gain / offset controls.

JVC has the useful gamma equalizer deleted without replacement . It is now no longer possible to set an exact grayscale pattern in which at 12 point RGB level, and the brightness is corrected. Too bad . For a brightness and gamma correction accommodation near Black and White ( Dark Level , Bright levels) were introduced , which can be used for the primary colors and white. The governor " Dark Level " cooperates excellent. Dark areas near black are good , without burning out the black level deteriorated appreciably . Also, a correction to the minus is thus possible if the gray levels near black are too bright. Very practical and functional.
Overall, I only took about 30 minutes to perform the settings for color space , grayscale gradient and gamma .

The frame interpolation means for JVC " Clear Motion Drive" (CMD ) . The user has the choice between " Off", " Low" , "High" and " NTSC / 24p ." In the latter mode is a feature that DVDs from USA and Japan reproduces smooth 24 Hz . In the " high " mode of motion act indeed very " fluent " , but there are then but numerous errors evident. The CMD mode " Low" works much better and less noticeable . There are so hardly noticeable artifacts negative . At most, in really difficult scenes such as "The Dark Knight " (Chapter 1 - Roof overflight ) fall off and artifacts in the form of line flicker . Here JVC has improved the frame interpolation visible. Better , this scene I know of no frame interpolation dar.

The e- Shift device is on the 3rd Generation ago. The operation should have been further improved. Unprocessed (center) is at close range a Gritt recognized, the enabled e- shift function (right) disappears completely . Diagonal lines are now displayed with less " stair step" without thin lines are " thickened " appreciably . I think this is an improvement to the previous generation .

We come to the image impressions. For this purpose we look at the measurement results more accurate. 4K playback led to a small surprise , even the A / B comparison with a Sony VPL- VW500 disclosed worth mentioning ...

Continued here !

Part 2:
- So the auto - iris contracts
- Comparison with the Sony VPL- VW500
- Measurement results , operating noise and Others

Photos : Michael B. Rehder

*** Image impressions and measurements JVC DLA -X700 *** - Part 2 !
JVC DLA -X700 -
The Black Master
part 2

- Measurement results
- So the auto - iris contracts
- Some impressions
- Operating noise
- Comparison with the Sony VPL- VW500

Coming . Impressions to the image of the JVC DLA -X700 For this purpose we look at the measurement results more accurate. It must be premised that this is this is a pre-production model, which has not yet played the final firmware version.

measurements
The JVC DLA -X700 has such good work settings that out of the box already natural colors are represented . Nevertheless, calibration professionals and enthusiastic amateurs have the opportunity to already good color representation further perfecting . All other home cinema fans use the THX picture mode , which almost offers an ideal gamma and color performance.

CIE diagram : The black triangle shows the target according to the standard , the white triangle shows the device performance. Factory setting ( left) the color is already properly . The color sail is only slightly shifted towards the red . This lightweight Rotüberschuss is difficult to see in the film image . After calibration (center) is red approaches to its target coordinates. But only a few steps were necessary. Even better , the picture mode is THX (pictured right) , who ever needs no correction. The minimum deviations are within the measurement tolerance .

Grayscale gradient from the factory - Left: The color temperature runs slightly higher with the preset 6500K . Using the RGB gain / offset controller , this can be confidently improved. Already from 30 IRE upwards (see picture right) the color temperature of 6500 Kelvin is well taken. For as good a setting below 30 IRE requires a gamma Equalizer, JVC has unfortunately been removed from the projector.

Factory preset gamma "Normal" is set. The increase in brightness (left) runs a little too low. The gamma value of 2.22 is not met. It should therefore be used , the correction value " 2.3 gamma " . So that the actual brightness profile is from 2.22 to 2.17 (right).

After calibration, the tracings looked fantastic. It was all color and shades of gray visible. Already the range of values ​​Y = 17 stood out from black (Y = 16) slightly. At the other end, nothing outshone the white. All gradations near White were well distinguished from one another .

About the manual image adjustment JVC also offers a " Auto Calibration" . The calibration is thus very simple. The optional sensor is positioned in front of the screen. With a cable of the sensor with the projector is connected . The measurement is started and takes place fully automatically. This engages the DLA -X700 back to 256 levels of gray , which he is expected to achieve a perfect grayscale and gamma curve . JVC recommends for automatic calibration of the sensor " Spyder 4".

The media player Sony POP FMPA1 contains two film clips , various photographs and a few sports clippings, all of which have a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels.
It was me, unfortunately, not possible to bring the Sony POP FMPA1 at the JVC DLA -X700 running. Whether the cause was on the player (proprietary Sony format? ) Or the projector ( pre-production model with non- final software) , currently still eludes my knowledge. Thus, the sighting of 4K footage was not possible.
If the series models of the new JVC projectors are available , but I will catch up on . Thus, the playback was limited here at Full HD Kontent .

Brightness, Contrast, and Volume
The maximum brightness is 950 lumens ( D65) . The black level is about 0.02 lumens. With a maximum zoom ( wide angle) and open aperture is the On / Off contrast whopping 42.000:1 ! If the auto - iris in the DLA -X700 is activated , the shutter closes when a leaked black screen so far that barely measurable " low light " falls on the screen. The black level is now approximately 0,002 lumens ! This is in effect " light off" !
I was impressed that the maximum brightness is not reduced by the calibration. On the contrary , by the calibration of the JVC DLA -X700 has become even minimally brighter.
In addition, JVC has the operating noise significantly reduced. The DLA -X700 is now much quieter than a JVC DLA- X35 , and so he is back fully fit for living room . In high lamp mode , the DLA -X700 is in the range of "older" ( silent ) DLA -X30 . They had around 26 decibels. In the low lamp mode, the X700 is barely perceptible.

image impressions
First, the initial sequence started in Black / White from "Casino Royale " . Here James Bond sitting on a chair. All the details are on his coat staining recognizable. Deep black buttons stand out from lapel and the jacket collar significantly. The tack-sharp face reveals every fold . The coarse film grain looks very natural. This scene I've seen many times before, but never with such a fantastic plasticity. The deep black stands out from such a bright highlight that it is a true joy. In Chapter 8 ( Zugszene - Montenegro) really all pinstripes on the suit can be seen. The arrival of Bond in the Bahamas is simply stunning. The turquoise sea is lit so beautifully that here arise holiday feelings . The complexion of James looks extremely healthy when he steps off the plane, to look around .
In "Total Recall" light up the rain-soaked streets at night . Knack Focus the neon-colored display signs are reproduced. The dark-clad people on the roofs to be formally emerged . Here is drinking anything from the Black . All shades of gray are mapped meticulously accurate. As Douglas Quaid the premises of " Rekall " enters , he receives an Asian in mood lighting atmosphere . This color brilliance made ​​me smack formally with the tongue. The deep red of the wall lamps, the single black strand of hair of the Asian , and the fine applications of furnishings showed how much trouble the filmmakers have given with the equipment . In "Star Wars - Episode 3" are details in the space battle (Chapter 3) to recognize that I 've never noticed. Explosions seemed to literally come out of the screen and the number of ships seemed to have increased, and the elevator shaft was almost a threatening depth. Since all this is presented without any screen door , the image gets a pleasant natural look , similar to a superb film projection . This is home theater at its best !

A / B comparison JVC DLA -X700 vs . Sony VPL- VW500
The Sony VPL- VW500ES is the JVC DLA -X700 not claimed . The scenes above features of the Sony as well , if it is set correctly. The detail and sharpness native representation is identical. However, the colors of the Sony seem to shine more , due to the significantly higher maximum brightness (950 lumens JVC DLA -X700 vs . 1500 Lumens Sony VPL- VW500ES ) . Daylight shots look even brighter and more vivid by the higher light yield. Fine details in pixel resolution show both projectors . During the JVC DLA -X700 " fray " these details minimal (with activated E- Shift function ) , the Sony VPL- VW500 Represent is picture The native 4K representation plays his advantage from opposite the " swept " 2 x 2K representation of the e- Shift technology.
In "Total Recall" , the VPL- VW500 's face Quaid is slightly lighter , so it stands out a little better from the night background. The JVC DLA -X700 counters with a visibly better black level , so that the image receives the most depth.
When the auto - iris switched add the Sony , the VW500 turns it up in performance to , and to reduce the visible advantage of the JVC DLA -X700 in dark scenes on a Minumum . Since the auto iris of the Sony operates in real time , their scheme is introduced only in a few scenes to negative. In this regard, the JVC DLA -X700 not compete because their auto-iris is simply useless ! The scheme is far too slow , delayed, since they do not operate in real time , it also discolored bright image content in dark scenes . White then goes towards green . Open the aperture , shift off the colors from green to red , until it then adjusts times. The gamma compensation here engages too strong. This is creepy. But it must not be forgotten that it is in this JVC DLA -X700 is a pre-production model , which has been playing no final firmware. Be noted , this point may be, however, because this unit is also presented to the customer on various home theater days. Apparently JVC is working on this problem of auto- aperture and good after . It therefore remains to be hoped that in the standard models , this weakness will be resolved .
The auto - iris of the Sony , however, operates exemplary. However, a peculiarity also has them. When a black image is played back for 3 seconds , the iris closes further . On the screen is then in effect " light off" . The black level is then 0.01 lumens ! The auto - iris of the JVC DLA -X700 controls already in the normal movie down so far. In direct comparison, not a " brightness difference " could be seen in the black between the Sony and JVC with a black screen and turned on auto- iris. There was literally " light " on the screen - with two projectors. Once an image line is leaked , the auto iris of the Sony opens a little, while the panel of the JVC will be closed . A 1 % white box on black background appears then subjectively equally bright
3D movies show both projectors of the highest quality . The Sony VPL- VW500 rarely shows disturbing crosstalk effects. Better makes the JVC DLA -X700 . The image appears in the same light yield subjectively behind the 3D glasses free of ghosting . While the Sony is the hat from the wizard Gandalf in " The Hobbit " with a little ghosting , no crosstalk effects can be seen with the JVC DLA -X700 .
Somewhat surprisingly , I found it , that the 3D glasses radio from JVC ( PK- AG3 ) on the Sony VPL- VW500ES a better picture than allowed , the 3D glasses from Sony. With the shutter glasses JVC 3D image of the VW500 appeared brighter and with significantly less crosstalk effects. Here Friends of the Sony VPL- VW500 should risk a look at the competition.
Both projectors show in my opinion, the currently feasible in the home theater area. Optimal set is the Sony VPL- VW500 , a nose in front, thanks to the much higher light yield. But he also costs about 3,000 euros more .

Conclusion:
The pre-production model JVC DLA -X700 impresses with a crackling sharp image that is free of any Screen Door ( mosquito net) . Due to the extremely high native contrast ratio movies get a plasticity that is simply stunning. All shades of gray are displayed . There drown any details in black. The calibration of the X700 manages confidently and quickly . In addition, the settings are already exemplary. Especially the picture mode THX is so close to the standard that it can be fully recommended for use. The 950 lumen (D65 ) Maximum brightness is sufficient to illuminate the image width to 3.10 meters with 16 Foot Lamberts . If the JVC auto iris improved , the series projector is simply the best Full HD home cinema projector that is currently available for less than 7,000 euros .

Pros & Cons:
+ Image reproduction with no visible pixel structure thanks to e- Shift technology
+ Excellent native sharpness
+ Sensational high native contrast ratio
+ Automatic Calibration
+ 3D radio-based ( RF)
+ Complete motorized lens with lens memory function
- Auto Iris does not work in real time

Technical data / measurements :
Technology : D -ILA
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels
Maximum brightness / black level (D65 calibrated) : 950 lumens / 0.02 lumens
Contrast ( On / Off) : 42.000:1
Distance of 2 meters image width : 2.80 m - 5.60 m
Dimensions: 455 x 179 x 472 mm (width x height x depth)
Weight: 15 kg
Price ( MSRP ) : 6999 , - €
Special feature: E- Shift function without visible screen door , automatic calibration function

Photos : Michael B. Rehder
cardoski likes this.
post #2352 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

And it's JVC first DI (II) to them, it may not be up to sony's level. I would not expect it to be. But I hope it is.

Probably removed custom gamma due to it interfering with coding on the dynamic iris? I'm not sure though, just a guess.
post #2353 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 07:52 AM

Liked: 16
Part 1 was posted on Dec 7th, part 2 on Dec 8th.
post #2354 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 100
One month does not seem like enought time to fix everything if it can be fixed.

The DI on the Mitsubishi hc9000d was also completely worthless, and needed to be turned off.
post #2355 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

That seems relatively close to what I was measuring on the RS46 and 4810, if I recall it was around 900 at mid throw. I'd like to know what meter they are using to measure the contrast, not sure if it was mentioned in the original article.

It will be interesting to hear about the iris from previous owners who may not recall what a DI looks like in action and those who are familiar with a quality iris like the Sony and Planar. I became more sensitive to iris activity once I started darkening my room. I have to turn it off on a projector like the 5030, it's too jumpy for my preferences.

edit: +1 on the HC5/HC9000 iris, it was pretty bad.
post #2356 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

"Santa Baby"

Santa baby, a new projector under the tree, for me.
I've been an awful good guy,
Santa buddy, and hurry down the chimney tonight…..

And there ladies & gentlemen is your post of the day (of course I reserve the right to take that back if Mike or Chris say they made a terrible mistake and in fact all the PJs went out yesterday!)!! biggrin.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #2357 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thank you docevil!

As it happens, I had already found the review and was about to post it as well.

It's actually quite a rave review!

He also mentioned how the X700 was visibly sharper when compared to the JVC DLA-X30/35 projectors, and brought out more contrast and details.

Also, some more comments from the forum, from the person who did the test:

"I find it quite remarkable that the JVC DLA-X700 can keep up in terms of sharpness, detail resolution and color representation with the Sony VPL-VW500. The fact that the Sony VPL-VW500 (despite significantly lower on / off contrast) falls in dark scenes are not as strong as the measured values ​​can suspect it is also a little surprise for me. Likewise, the JVC DLA-X700 can keep up even in bright scenes perfectly, although the Sony VPL-VW500 calibrated 500 lumens is brighter.
The difference in the maximum brightness I feel subjectively (that is, in proportion) about the same size as the JVC DLA-X30/35/55 the picture impression from the Lamp Mode Normal and Eco. "

So, at least in the eyes of this report, the new JVC's sharpness and detail keeps up with the new Sony VW500, and the brightness difference, while visible, is not huge once calibrated.

The review was posted Dec 8 and he says JVC is aware of Intelligent Aperture issues and working on them for final relaese, so hopefully the multiple delays on shipping had to do with improvements in that area. Fingers crossed....

(Good news also about the 3D working well in the new JVC. That is one area I really wanted improved from my RS55)
cardoski likes this.
post #2358 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 08:18 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Quote:

That seems relatively close to what I was measuring on the RS46 and 4810, if I recall it was around 900 at mid throw. I'd like to know what meter they are using to measure the contrast, not sure if it was mentioned in the original article.

It will be interesting to hear about the iris from previous owners who may not recall what a DI looks like in action and those who are familiar with a quality iris like the Sony and Planar. I became more sensitive to iris activity once I started darkening my room. I have to turn it off on a projector like the 5030, it's too jumpy for my preferences.

edit: +1 on the HC5/HC9000 iris, it was pretty bad.

I've had both the hw and vw chassis Sonys and loved the implementation of the DI on both. Will let you know how the rs57 compares.

.002 black with DI engaged! They should call these projectors Jvc ZT-RS57's smile.gif

Here's hoping they fix the DI. My mouth is getting all watery with the anticipation of the 1st fade to black scene!
post #2359 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Having seen a VW1000ES do a fade to black, then I can understand your anticipation for the RS57 Soup. cool.gif Would be very disappointing if it turns out that it can't be used due to side effects. My old AE3000 didn't draw attention to the iris (shame the blacks weren't that great anyway) and the VW50ES (Jagdeepp's setup) I saw this week didn't distract either.

Even though I'm not upgrading this year (been focusing on the sound side lately) I still like to follow the current projector news. Looking forward to hear what you make of it Soup. smile.gif

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #2360 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

It's the same for the x90/rs65 too so I'm going to assume it's going to be the same for the new models as well.

I'm actually looking forward to buying a spyder meter to check out how well the software does on my X90.

From what I've been told on the side is to spend the extra shekels on the Spyder-4Elite which is said to have a 7 color sensor (vs. the old colorimeters with only 3-channel RGB). Whether or not that makes the difference with JVCs in practical application… it's what I was told.

So Seegs… you are the designate "Spyder-man" for us so do an initial Cal. and let us know your findings. wink.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #2361 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 08:43 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

These numbers are amazing.

If the RS57 gets 42,000 contrast wide open, can anyone estimate how much the 4910 would be getting wide open based on previous models? If it's 30,000, I think it'll be enough for me. If not, I'm beginning to think maybe I should have ponied up the cash for the RS57 instead... 950 lumens would be perfect for my setup.
post #2362 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

The only concern with the spider is, how do you know how accurate it is? Their advertising claims 'Average accuracy is up 26% and consistency between Spyder units is 19% better.' I'm not sure what that means, but I would want to see it compared to a known reference meter before trusting the results. It's probably fine for rough calibrations within a few dE.
post #2363 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The only concern with the spider is, how do you know how accurate it is? Their advertising claims 'Average accuracy is up 26% and consistency between Spyder units is 19% better.' I'm not sure what that means, but I would want to see it compared to a known reference meter before trusting the results. It's probably fine for rough calibrations within a few dE.

The certainly seem inexpensive, I paid more for my i1 display. My expectation would be better than before, imagine yours is much higher.

James Reid:D
post #2364 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Thats exextremely impressive if the RS57 can get 40,000:1 CR with the iris open for 900 lumens. With the better bulb most will get this benefit for up to 500 hours I hope. Still depends on how quiet the jvc is on high lamp also. I'm starting to wish I never passed on this projector. This is definitely enough for a 10ft wide screen
post #2365 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

One month does not seem like enought time to fix everything if it can be fixed.

The DI on the Mitsubishi hc9000d was also completely worthless, and needed to be turned off.

It is JVCs first attempt as well, so expectations should be kept well in check. At least the native contrast is so damn good if the DI does not improve.

Having said that, I could not detect the DI at Cedia, but I have no idea how those machines were setup. Hopefully there is a way to dial down the aggressiveness of the DI to make it at least useful.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #2366 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 09:39 AM

Liked: 14
Just got notification that the 6710 will be here a day early biggrin.gif I will camp out at the door until I get the package wink.gif

Scheduled For Early Delivery On:
Monday, 12/23/2013, By End of Day
Originally Scheduled For Delivery On:
Tuesday, 12/24/2013, By End of Day
cardoski likes this.
post #2367 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 09:42 AM

Liked: 17
To the shipping team at AVS:

Thanks for your efforts yesterday. My tracking update indicates UPS picked up my shipment at 8:56PM (local time). That gives "above and beyond the call of duty" a whole new meaning smile.gif.

--Larry
post #2368 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm hoping the DI will be usable with release firmware.

It may be JVC's first attempt at a DI, but it isn't a new feature to the industry in general. I would have expected that they'd look hard at how their competitors have implemented this feature over the past several years and learned what works and what doesn't. How could any competent manufacturer not do that at this point? They are in a position where their first attempt should at least be useable if not perfect.

Hopefully some user reports will start trickling in early next week .... IN ENGLISH (God those translated reviews are headache inducing).
cardoski likes this.
post #2369 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

I'm hoping the DI will be usable with release firmware.

It may be JVC's first attempt at a DI, but it isn't a new feature to the industry in general. I would have expected that they'd look hard at how their competitors have implemented this feature over the past several years and learned what works and what doesn't. How could any competent manufacturer not do that at this point? They are in a position where their first attempt should at least be useable if not perfect.

Hopefully some user reports will start trickling in early next week .... IN ENGLISH (God those translated reviews are headache inducing).

I don't fully agree with that as I would think there would definitely be some trial and error for the engineers going from first gen to second gen to 3rd gen, etc.......BenQ has been doing DIs for a long time and one of the first things I did when I got my 7000 is turn that puppy off as it was visibly distracting. Not trying to be negative, but it would not surprise me if JVCs first DI attempt ended up being useless for those who are sensitive to DI pumping. I am guessing what they showed at Cedia was majorly toned down. No way this will be perfect on first attempt though, but hopefully they can improve it enough from the pre-prod machine in this report to make it at least useful for all but the most DI sensitive. Has there been any report of a setting that can adjust the aggressiveness in general which would be very useful obviously? From this report, it sounds like the multiplier was ~10x which is too aggressive for those sensitive to DIs.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #2370 of 4136 Old 12-21-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Still depends on how quiet the jvc is on high lamp also.

this is a big deal for some people although it generally doesn't bother me. Last years model was the loudest in the series and I could see how some would find it distracting in high lamp. The 4810 was louder in it's normal high lamp model than my RS55 was in high altitude mode. My guess this is part of why the lamps are so well behaved this year.

by comparison the 600 and 1000 are whisper quiet in high lamp with much more lumen output. this is definitely where some of the extra $$ goes.

Maybe we can hack the JVC's and install Noctua fans. it works for the PC's... smile.gif
cardoski likes this.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread - X900r by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page