NEW RANGE JVC 2014 - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 4133 Old 01-01-2014, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi All and a Happy New Year.

I am having some weird lip sync issues with BD 24p content and ripped MKV;s as well. I have gotten around the problem by adding an audio delay of 116ms on the Denon X4000 AVR. I have tried putting the Oppo in source direct mode, turning off all video processing on the AVR including auto lipsync correction to off but always have the same results. Could it be a defective component or cable or is this expected behavior ?

Components: Oppo BDP 103D, Denon AVR-X4000, Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D, Custom HTPC, JVC RS6710

Connection from components to AVR and from AVR to Lumagen HDMI 2 using 1ft-3ft Monoprice HDMI cables. Connection from Lumagen to Projector using Redmere Slim 30ft HDMI monoprice cable.

I used the Spears & Munsil Bluray to get the audio delay value after noticing that the lips moved for a fraction of a second after the audio while watching 2D movies (1080 24p).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 4133 Old 01-01-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I run 5-18's and 2-12's in my room with a shelf mounted projector. I get a lot of flor shake, but my shelf does not shake, but I have pretty thick walls.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #2703 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 AM

Liked: 11
Woot Woot! it has arrived, 8:20 am this morning, i'll have a bit of time to play with the X700 before i leave for Vegas,

Cant wait to replace my Panasonic PT-AE7000 with this badboy...
cardoski likes this.
post #2704 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper14 View Post

Woot Woot! it has arrived, 8:20 am this morning, i'll have a bit of time to play with the X700 before i leave for Vegas,

Cant wait to replace my Panasonic PT-AE7000 with this badboy...

Good to hear, still waiting for mine. We have a crazy cold snap here(-50 with wind) and I have nowhere to go, perfect time for a Trek marathon on a JVC.

James Reid:D
post #2705 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I hear you on the cold snap! We are in Quebec skiing and it's -54 below on the mountain. Not a lot of skiing going on, actually.

I had a window of time through December in which I was going to be able to set up my new JVC projector, learn calibration software, learn my new Lumagen, remote programming etc, but with the many delays on the JVC, and now with the HDMI problems, that window is closing fast. Now I really don't know when the projector will arrive, or when I'll be able to actually use and watch it. frown.gif

Speaking of HDMI problems, since it's been occurring across all this years models it's tough to coordinate user reports, since users are split among the various models threads.

I'd think it would be good to have a separate thread just devoted to it, to discuss what seems to cause it and any fixes people have tried, all in one thread.

I'm even wondering if anyone with a 2014 model has NOT experienced any new HDMI problems, and if so what is their set up?

I'd start the thread myself but others, like Krichter, have spent lots of time trouble shooting the problem and could better express the issues.
post #2706 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I received my JVC X500R today and am having a hard time with finding a ceiling mount that fits.

I ordered this monoprice mount in advance but it doesn't fit:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10911&cs_id=1091102&p_id=3010&seq=1&format=2

I then went to BestBuy and picked up this mount but it doesn't fit either:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/universal-ceiling-mount-for-front-projectors/7119646.p;jsessionid=1EA21C85BC5B87CC37A248439C8BF1AA.bbolsp-app01-126?id=1109233829974&skuId=7119646&st=projector%20mount&cp=1&lp=2

Seems like universal mounts are do not have long enough arms to reach the four screws which are in the corners (by removing legs).

What are you guys using?

I've come to dislike universal mounts, partially due to this -
Quote:
I have purchased an X500R (that I'm patiently waiting for ) to replace my Mitsubishi HC4000. The Mits is ceiling mounted, however I was planning on building an elevated shelf in the back of my room for the JVC. Is there more chance of projector shake one way or another? I have 5 subs in my room and 2 of them are on an elevated riser (for the L&R surround channels) that I would build the elevated shelf off of.

The long spindly arms on the universal mounts transmitted vibration / movement to my projector. Drove me nuts! The solid steel plate on a Chief mount made specifically for a projector does not do that.
Quote:
Buy a few Auralex Subdudes for your subs to decouple them from the room...

Those helped too! wink.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #2707 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 12:08 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniv View Post

Hi All and a Happy New Year.

I am having some weird lip sync issues with BD 24p content and ripped MKV;s as well. I have gotten around the problem by adding an audio delay of 116ms on the Denon X4000 AVR. I have tried putting the Oppo in source direct mode, turning off all video processing on the AVR including auto lipsync correction to off but always have the same results. Could it be a defective component or cable or is this expected behavior ?

Components: Oppo BDP 103D, Denon AVR-X4000, Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D, Custom HTPC, JVC RS6710

Connection from components to AVR and from AVR to Lumagen HDMI 2 using 1ft-3ft Monoprice HDMI cables. Connection from Lumagen to Projector using Redmere Slim 30ft HDMI monoprice cable.

I used the Spears & Munsil Bluray to get the audio delay value after noticing that the lips moved for a fraction of a second after the audio while watching 2D movies (1080 24p).

I also have a Radiance Mini in my system and had to add 165ms of delay in my Onkyo 1010 to compensate for the processing, color and gamma correction going on in the Radiance. I suppose I could not use the 125 point color correction and perhaps reduce some of that delay, but it just looks too damn good. biggrin.gif

Don't sweat it. That is why the delay setting is there.
aniv likes this.
post #2708 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxfj View Post

I also have a Radiance Mini in my system and had to add 165ms of delay in my Onkyo 1010 to compensate for the processing,.

I find lip-sync issues maddening and those type of issues are one reason I've been leery to even introduce a lumagen into my system (which I"m going to anyway now...with trepidation).
I've had a lip sync issue off and on in my system that has completely vexed me. The only lip sync issues I ever hear of is the picture being delayed, which is why many AV receivers, VPs etc offer audio delay. However, my picture appears AHEAD of the sound, so the sound is already delayed. So not only do I not know what's causing it, none of the delays available
in my equipment can fix it because they all assume a delayed picture problem! mad.gif
aniv likes this.
post #2709 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 PM

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what a Lumagen will bring to the table. My 4910 looked great OOTB, but after doing some initial readings with my meter to see where things were at and then letting the auto-calibrate in Chromapure do its thing, it took the PJ to an entirely different level.

Was quite fascinating to watch what was going on and see the colors change as Chromapure made adjustments in the Lumagen.

Hopefully the delay a Lumagen adds will help with your timing issues along with proper color, etc correction. smile.gif
aniv likes this.
post #2710 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 01:45 PM

Liked: 14
Thanks for the response pdxfj! Much appreciated.

Being new to the world of Projectors I was wondering if I had a weird one off issue or it was pretty much normal. What you said totally makes sense. I use the lumagen to manage scaling and aspect ratio at the moment but intend to purchase the required software/hardware for calibration from Mike (AVS) next month. This forum is the best smile.gif

Thanks again.

Also a side note I called JVC about the issue where the Projector does not get a DHCP IP (Static IP works fine) and the HDMI switching issue. I was told I would get a detailed response in the next 2 business days and they were aware of the HDMI issue which causes lockups. I don't have the lockup issue myself but the screen does go blank for around 5 seconds' For example when switching from the menu of a bluray to the movie playback or switching inputs to the HTPC.
post #2711 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxfj View Post

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what a Lumagen will bring to the table. My 4910 looked great OOTB, but after doing some initial readings with my meter to see where things were at and then letting the auto-calibrate in Chromapure do its thing, it took the PJ to an entirely different level.

I have a 4910 on the way and also have a Mini3D, which I've been debating whether to keep; I got it for an RS10.

It sounds like you didn't calibrate the 4910 on its own so don't know how close it might have been to the Mini3D, right?

Noah
post #2712 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Re the HDMI issue, it sounds like it's provoked by resolution changes, so would not a simple workaround be to force the player or VP to output only 1080P/60 until JVC fixes it?

Noah
post #2713 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I wouldn't want to have to watch 1080/24p BluRays at 60p myself, but I suppose for the Lumagen owners you could set up a memory with 1080/24p as the output for everything for film based BluRays. Then set another up for 1080/60p output for any other sources (1080/50p for us UK viewers). You'd have to make sure you selected the appropriate memory before you powered up the JVC so you've have to check what you plan to watch beforehand (using the info on the Lumagen, but this assumes you have it linked to a TV as well like I do). Even then the Lumagen output will blank as the source changes from 1080/60i menu (for example) to 1080/24p for the film or perhaps 480/60i for any trailers, not sure if this would trip up the JVC as well?

I suppose there is always going to be some glitches in the beginning, but apart from the DI (sorry II tongue.gif ) I didn't think there would have been so many changes to the electronics this year to trigger such problems. I hope they can sort it out soon though.
aniv likes this.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #2714 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

I have a 4910 on the way and also have a Mini3D, which I've been debating whether to keep; I got it for an RS10.

It sounds like you didn't calibrate the 4910 on its own so don't know how close it might have been to the Mini3D, right?

Did I use the projector's CMS to calibrate before the Lumagen? No did not. I did take a few readings before I ran the auto-cal to see where gamma, grayscale, etc were at. This post shows a little more information:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1505192/official-jvc-dila-x500r-rs49u-rs4910u-owners-thread/210#post_24130395

If I hadn't fought calibrating my RS40 for so long, I would have had more interest in digging deeper into the 4910's CMS. My 40 had issues and I could do a perfect manual grayscale calibration.. only to go back and check my work 10 minutes later and it was all over the map again. As it stands now I'm very happy with what the 4910 is projecting onto my screen and from here I will (likely) only need to do quick manual touch-ups as the lamp ages.

Keep your Lumagen and get a meter with Calman or Chromapure if you don't already have it. The software to interface with the Lumagen makes calibration (even manual calibration) very easy. Comparing a PJ's internal CMS to a Lumagen is not a fair contest.
post #2715 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Liked: 12
Just reporting in, my 4910 got to the calibrator today, and already he has called and said he never experienced so many HDMI connection issues. So add another to the bunch. I am sending him the factory reset figures and instructions earlier in this thread. I hope his equipment will work and he can calibrate the thing.
post #2716 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I wouldn't want to have to watch 1080/24p BluRays at 60p myself, but I suppose for the Lumagen owners you could set up a memory with 1080/24p as the output for everything for film based BluRays. Then set another up for 1080/60p output for any other sources (1080/50p for us UK viewers). You'd have to make sure you selected the appropriate memory before you powered up the JVC so you've have to check what you plan to watch beforehand (using the info on the Lumagen, but this assumes you have it linked to a TV as well like I do). Even then the Lumagen output will blank as the source changes from 1080/60i menu (for example) to 1080/24p for the film or perhaps 480/60i for any trailers, not sure if this would trip up the JVC as well?

I suppose there is always going to be some glitches in the beginning, but apart from the DI (sorry II tongue.gif ) I didn't think there would have been so many changes to the electronics this year to trigger such problems. I hope they can sort it out soon though.

Nicely said and it's what I do on my Mini as a quasi-workaround but then keep forgetting and hit the "Home" button for my Sony BD changer system and then panic as I realize the menu is going to display 1080i60 and cause the blank screen. eek.gif Now I've just resorted to always force 1080p24.

For others wondering I have DNS enabled and have no problems controlling the 57 thru my iRule iPad remote (all IP command control)

As well I too have audio sync issues and had to enable the delay on my Denon 5308. Can't HDMI negotiation problems also cause sync issues?

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #2717 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry all this is a bit of a hard thread for me to follow. Can anyone simply tell me if the new 700 is an improvement in visible contrast and black level over the x95? I am able to do an upgrade, but if its not worth it, then I might save my money until the next year models come. Thanks.

Jim Parys

is Living the dream...

La Sirena III Theater

JVC DILA-RS95

Panamorph UH-480/ATH1 Anamorphic Lens

Stewart Ultramat 200, 120", 2.0 Gain, 16x9 Aspec Screen (Motorized)

SI Black Diamond Zero Edge G2, 144", 1.4 Gain, 2:35 Aspec)

Yamaha...

post #2718 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

Sorry all this is a bit of a hard thread for me to follow. Can anyone simply tell me if the new 700 is an improvement in visible contrast and black level over the x95? I am able to do an upgrade, but if its not worth it, then I might save my money until the next year models come. Thanks.

Save your money until the HDMI issues are resolved. Just read the posts on the JVC threads since they all started arriving the day after Christmas.
post #2719 of 4133 Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinboy View Post

Save your money until the HDMI issues are resolved. Just read the posts on the JVC threads since they all started arriving the day after Christmas.

Well by then the 4K projector from Epson might give the RS57 Some competition!
post #2720 of 4133 Old 01-03-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

Nice of you guys to answer his question. I can't answer it because I don't have one and I don't have a base line of the older machines or machine to compare.

If I had to guess, the II improves things enough to warrant the new machines. Native increases not so much. I bunch of things have been improved though there are some bugs that I am sure JVC is working on and will address through user installed software.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #2721 of 4133 Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Well by then the 4K projector from Epson might give the RS57 Some competition!

And then Pioneer is going to release a 4K PJ with passive OLED chips and LED light source with 2,000 lumens and infinite CR. eek.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher
post #2722 of 4133 Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinboy View Post

Nice of you to guess an answer to his question.

An educated guess is better than a response unrelated to the question asked. If nothing else, it recognizes an ability to read and recognize the question and discloses the answer is a guess. Perhaps my post will move an owner to attempt to answer the question asked. I can't answer it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #2723 of 4133 Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Nicely said and it's what I do on my Mini as a quasi-workaround but then keep forgetting and hit the "Home" button for my Sony BD changer system and then panic as I realize the menu is going to display 1080i60 and cause the blank screen. eek.gifNow I've just resorted to always force 1080p24.

For others wondering I have DNS enabled and have no problems controlling the 57 thru my iRule iPad remote (all IP command control)

As well I too have audio sync issues and had to enable the delay on my Denon 5308. Can't HDMI negotiation problems also cause sync issues?

That's always been my choice for NFL Football and Sports programming in general……. eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #2724 of 4133 Old 01-03-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Simple question, how much 4K content is out there? How long before we see movies released on 4K? Do we have to download movies in 4K (legally) and what size are they?

I am ready to early adopt too, I might get rid of my sim2 ht380 that i love dearly, for 4K.

ELmO

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #2725 of 4133 Old 01-03-2014, 01:35 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

Simple question, how much 4K content is out there? How long before we see movies released on 4K? Do we have to download movies in 4K (legally) and what size are they?

I am ready to early adopt too, I might get rid of my sim2 ht380 that i love dearly, for 4K.

ELmO

With the Sony 4K Projector and its 4K server included in the bundle you get a decent selection of Sony Movies in 4K. Lots of demo Content and more to come. They promise to keep updating the 4K store with more content.

I believe 4K content is going to come on fast. Netflix is already experimenting and directv is most likely going to do something fast as well.

Buying a 4K projector now isn't a bad idea considering the not so bad entry cost of the VW600es which is stunning as most people on the forum will attest to..

Craig
elmalloc likes this.
post #2726 of 4133 Old 01-03-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Saw these fan noise measurements posted on one of the German forums:

X 55 / X 500

Distance 2 cm
Lamp low right: 14 dB / 11 dB
Lamp low left: 36 dB / 11 dB

Distance 10 cm
Lamp low right: 12 dB / 10 dB (not measurable)
Lamp low left: 26 dB / 10 dB (not measurable)

Distance 2 cm
Lamp high right: 28 dB / 14 dB
Lamp high left: 57 dB / 16 dB

Distance 10 cm
Lamp high right 15 dB / 12 dB
Lamp high left: 42 dB / 13 dB

They measured from both sides of the projector and 2 distances. That is a huge difference compared to last year's models. The X500 is quieter in high mode than the previous model was in low mode. Pretty impressive improvement as long as it doesn't cause premature failure from overheating.

Any reports from new owners confirming these results? If you owned the older models, do you notice the exhaust air coming out being any hotter?
post #2727 of 4133 Old 01-03-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I installed my X900 last night.
I wont speak about the HDMI issues as its already well documented on the JVC threads, but I have been promised by my supplier it will be fixed promptly.

My thoughts:
The blacks are amazing and richer than the X95 I replaced.
The DI is absolutely brilliant and my bat cave completely darkens right down to an almost "fade to black" effect on fade outs! The iris works spectacularly, thank God JVC has finally added it to the current models. The dark scenes are now very 3D in effect, with added depth to the image where one can really look into the room and see detail. I never saw the iris opening up on the material I tested, but could see it working when looking back into the lens. This is by far the best JVC Ive ever owned, so to date Im really really impressed!cool.gif
post #2728 of 4133 Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Murray that's good you like it. if the room is light controlled, you can definitely see the difference in low APL scenes. I wish they would have done this a few years ago.

are you running auto iris 1 or 2? look closely to see if you see some black crush with auto iris 1. It's not obvious at first but i'm fairly certain you'll see it. I think it looks great with auto iris 2.
post #2729 of 4133 Old 01-03-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post

With the Sony 4K Projector and its 4K server included in the bundle you get a decent selection of Sony Movies in 4K. Lots of demo Content and more to come. They promise to keep updating the 4K store with more content.

I believe 4K content is going to come on fast. Netflix is already experimenting and directv is most likely going to do something fast as well.

Buying a 4K projector now isn't a bad idea considering the not so bad entry cost of the VW600es which is stunning as most people on the forum will attest to..

Craig

Craig,

Thanks, you have give me something to research for the next month or so now. VW500es looks like it's 15K, not sure how much 600es is, most of these JVCs are cheaper?

I had a JVC RS1 at launch and the blacks were nutty, I can only imagine what they've done since then. I sold it and went with a Sim2 HT380 and have had it for 5 years. I love Sim2, but I could surely live with a 4K JVC. smile.gif

It's funny, some of us spend years researching projectors, then when we get one we leave the "scene" . Then they hear through the grapevine something new is coming and the itch is back.

ELmO

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #2730 of 4133 Old 01-03-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

I installed my X900 last night.
I wont speak about the HDMI issues as its already well documented on the JVC threads, but I have been promised by my supplier it will be fixed promptly.

My thoughts:
The blacks are amazing and richer than the X95 I replaced.
The DI is absolutely brilliant and my bat cave completely darkens right down to an almost "fade to black" effect on fade outs! The iris works spectacularly, thank God JVC has finally added it to the current models. The dark scenes are now very 3D in effect, with added depth to the image where one can really look into the room and see detail. I never saw the iris opening up on the material I tested, but could see it working when looking back into the lens. This is by far the best JVC Ive ever owned, so to date Im really really impressed!cool.gif

That sounds great. I'm very happy it was a good upgrade for you.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Jvc Dla X900r , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page