Projector for 84h x 149w (16:9 - 171d) in light controlled room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the enviable task of starting the design process of Man-Cave 2.0.

For 12+ years I have dialed in - tweaked and calibrated a number of NEC XG series projectors in Man-Cave 1.0. I have been lucky enough to be contracted to calibrate CRT systems in some of the finest theaters you could ever imagine. Now it is my turn for MC2.0.

As a strong advocate for CRT, I am very fond of the depth of field you get from the solid black level achieved by CRT. As I loosely follow AVSforum, I know that JVC is the NEC of digital projectors for Alan and the crew at AVScience.

Here is my challenge. I would like to throw an image of at least 78-84" high in my new theater. I can not afford, nor do I have the ability to side by side compare multiple projectors in a theater, so I am seeking some forum input.

Below is the Projector Central "sterile" projections of the light output of four popular projectors at 84" high on a 16:9 screen. What are your thoughts?

JVC RS45 & 50
Sony HW50ES
Panasonic AE8000

Light output according to PC is 6-12fL depending on projector. I am more than willing to buy on the used/AVS-Classified market, but would also consider the right new projector assuming it doesn't drain the swamp of fundage.

Let me know your thoughts!

Jeff in Detroit

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 540
What gain screen? Can you use a Da-Lite High Power screen? With a High Power screen, many projectors would have enough lumens. You left out one model, that I would also consider, the Epson 5020.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mike. I keep hearing Epson as a good choice. I would want an acoustically transparent screen as I intend to have speakers behind the screen. I know that adds more light loss. What are your thoughts on a 8Fl image on this big of a screen in a fully light controlled room?
post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryngelson View Post

Thanks Mike. I keep hearing Epson as a good choice. I would want an acoustically transparent screen as I intend to have speakers behind the screen. I know that adds more light loss. What are your thoughts on a 8Fl image on this big of a screen in a fully light controlled room?

If you use a 1.0 gain screen and one of the higher lumen, yet good color accuracy, modes of the Epson (1,300 lumens), I think you will be able to max out with 17 FL using high lamp. It is doable, but you will not have long lamp life. If you would like to discuss, give me a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #5 of 6 Old 08-23-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Why are you recommending a 17fL light canon image? Those of us from the "Good old Days" of AVS are very - VERY happy with CRT light output of 8-12fL.

Not knowing what a 8-12fL image from a digital projector looks like, I thought I would ask the forum. Is it that different?

Curious in Detroit.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryngelson View Post

Why are you recommending a 17fL light canon image? Those of us from the "Good old Days" of AVS are very - VERY happy with CRT light output of 8-12fL.

Not knowing what a 8-12fL image from a digital projector looks like, I thought I would ask the forum. Is it that different?

Curious in Detroit.

I am have the JVC RS-DLA-4810 projector in 100% light controlled HT (black ceiling, dark maroon/vine colored walls, screen wall black)
My screen is a bit smaller at 150".
The projector is rear wall shelf mounted to be centered on the screen, with a throw distance of ~16 feet.
When I calibrated my projector, I had to close the iris down completely (-15) with lamp on low, so that the image would not be too bright for me.

Zombie10K and others have insisted this give an image that is to dim.
Maybe for their taste for blazing Best Buy show room plasma image it is dim. But not for me.

The other benefit of not tageting ligh canon brightness, is that at least with my lower brightness image, I have experienced absolutely NO ghosting whatsoever in 3D (from normal seating position, assiting films for enjoyment, rather than from 6" frame-by frame inspection with a magnifying glass).
Nada - zilch
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Jvc Rs50u , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page