Replaced bulb and now get color banding/ Perhaps just replace projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-21-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently replaced bulb in my MARANTZ VP11s2 projector. I started to notice this weird thing happening in A LOT of darker scenes (or portions of scenes .... like backgrounds that were out of focus) in the gradation from dark to light - particularly on faces. It looked almost like solarization. I researched and I THINK this is called color banding. It's like what should be a smooth gradation becomes defined lines. Hard to describe.
The thing is - I had never seen it before. My installer checked cables etc and all was fine. Finally, just to cover all bases, we reinstalled the OLD bulb (thank goodness we kept it) - and VOILA - "banding" is gone.
My installer is going to put the new bulb back in and see if the banding returns - but I was wondering: has anyone ever experienced this???

Also - since this projector is getting old, I have been looking into getting something new. My installer recommends the Digital Projection Cine 260, but I got to test drive their super bright 400 model (with its settings kicking down the lumens to @ 2500) and saw NOTHING but rainbows. Does higher lumens create more rainbows for DLP? And with the advances in LCOS, do the newer SONY or JVC LCOS models costing @8K stand up to the great pic of the old Marantz DLP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-21-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Don't know why a lamp would cause banding BUT I just got a new to me PD8150 that was doing the same thing only in very bright color gradients. Had to adjust the color wheel timing in the service menu to correct it
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1485284/planar-8150-posterization-solarization-fix-color-wheel-timming-in-service-menu/0_100.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Marantz Vp 11s2 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - 11s2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page