Has anyone measured the minimum light output (lumen) of the PT-AE 8000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-24-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have found no empirical data to date on what the minimum illuminance of the PT-AE8000 is.

My own situation will have the following dimensions.
Projector Throw = 11.5 ft.
Screensize = 96" diag @ 2:35 to 1 ar.

Using Eco mode and all other lumen output reduction protocols, has anyone been able to attain about 18 to 26fl from this unit within the above parameters?

What screen gain was/is present to achieve the requested luminance?

My media room is light controlled. The pt-a8000's automatic aspect ratio (lens memory control) is a key purchase motivator at this price point.

If I have missed it in the 65 pages of threads, please forgive me.

Thanks!

Doug k

Imaging Science Foundation Technician ( Almost Retired )
www.6500kcalibrations.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-24-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 266
With a 96" diagonal at 2.35 you really fall at the 'normal' size screen that the AE8000 is designed around when in 2.35 mode. It is about a 102" diagonal which can be calibrated very easily.

Of course the 37" screen size is extremely small, and makes me wonder immediately why you don't just get a 100" to 110" 16:9 screen which will give you the exact same 2.35 size you are shooting for but will maximize the impact of 1.78 (HD) and 1.85 material.

Minimizing light output is easy. If it can't be done through simple calibration and tweaking the iris down, you can always purchase a ND filter to take it down another step or two.

I would take a JVC LCoS projector over the Panny every day of the week... Just in case you haven't purchased already.
ltd76gold likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-24-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I failed to mention that my seating distance will be about 9' tops. Really a small 12x13' room in a sea cottage near South Padre Island. I had forgotten about the use of a filter... Dang.

Really appreciate the feedback and indeed I'm considering the JVC alternative. It (the jvc) appears to have a longer lens but might just work @ 11'

The 2:35 screen is for a tad more cinematic effect, in the smaller room.

Again, thanks for the info

Doug k

post #4 of 10 Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd76gold View Post

I have found no empirical data to date on what the minimum illuminance of the PT-AE8000 is.

Using Eco mode and all other lumen output reduction protocols, has anyone been able to attain about 18 to 26fl from this unit within the above parameters?

My media room is light controlled. The pt-a8000's automatic aspect ratio (lens memory control) is a key purchase motivator at this price point.

Thanks!

Doug k

Projector Reviews includes lumens measurements for each of the factory present modes as well as in calibrated "Best" mode. The full review is HERE. All of the measured lumens were with the projector's zoom set to mid-range and in full (high) lamp mode. Here are the numbers for the factory preset picture modes:

Cinema 1= 643 @ 7053
Cinema 2= 1175 @ 8554
Game= 1245 @ 10199
Normal= 1285 @ 9746
Dynamic= 1898 @ 7757, 1255 lumens with AI off
Rec. 709= 622 @ 6695
D-Cinema= 643 @ 6437

And for 'Best" mode the lumens output was 602.

As I said above these numbers were with the lens at mid-zoom and the zoom setting can make a big difference with this projector. For dynamic mode the following readings were made for minimum, mid and maximum zoom settings:

Zoom out: 2178 (max. zoom for shortest throw distance)
Mid-zoom: 1898
Zoom in: 1312 (min. zoom for longest throw distance)

The same percentage of change would be expected for all of the other picture modes as you zoom between min., mid and max. zoom settings.

You will need to relate these projector lumens output numbers to what foot lamberts you will get off of your 96" diagonal 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen (this is actually a small screen by home theater standards). For this screen size, and if it has a gain of 1.0, you would get a bright 26 ft. lamberts in the calibrated "best" picture mode with the zoom at its mid position , or just slightly more in the Rec. 709 preset mode. With an 11.5 ft. throw distance you are somewhere between mid-zoom and max-zoom so you would be getting higher lumens out of the projector. The min. throw distance for your screen size is about 10 ft. and with a 11.5 ft. throw I would estimate you would be getting perhaps 8% additional lumens output which would produce about 28 ft. Lamberts in 'Best' picture mode with a gain 1.0 screen. For other screen gains just multiply these ft. lamberts values by the screen gain number. Finally, the above lumens and ft. lamberts values are for the projector operated in full (high) lamp mode and operating it in eco (low) lamp mode reduces the light output by approx. 37%. So, for example, the about case of getting 28 ft. lamberts with a gain 1.0 screen in full lamp mode and for you 11.5 ft. throw distance would drop the light level off of the screen to about 17.5 ft. lamberts in eco lamp mode.

ltd76gold likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 10 Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ron!

I missed the review that indeed has all the facts I needed.

Which is why I still come here.... generally personable, gracious and knowledgeable folks on board.
Quote:
(this is actually a small screen by home theater standards)

Agreed. Since my seating distance is just 8 to 9' and will be just for the bride and myself.... THX recommends a 40 degree viewing angle, which, if the math of 1.2 X the screens diagonal is relevant, gives a preferred seating distance of 9.6', just a smidgen back from where we'll sit. This is using the 2:35 to 1 diagonal. When reduced to a 1:78 or 1:85 to 1, still gives me between a 30 to 40 degree viewing angle. Acceptable given the current display is a 50" plasma which we are accustomed to viewing from about 8'.

I was concerned that the panny would be too bright given the throw distance, screen size and seating distance. With all of your and AV Ins help, I can now comfortably make a decision.

Again, all my thanks!

Doug k

post #6 of 10 Old 08-25-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

Thanks!

Doug k

With the Panny (dim projector in best image mode) you do not have to worry about it being too bright with your 96" diagonal 2.35, 1.0 gain screen. Even in high lamp and short throw (11'-5") you only get around 20 FL. Low lamp , best image mode will get you around 16/17 FL.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-25-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I would take a JVC LCoS projector over the Panny every day of the week... Just in case you haven't purchased already.

this is good advice, it's hard to pick the 8000 vs. the RS46 at basically the same price. better sharpness, contrast and color out of the box. Being a calibrator, you're going to have a fun time with the color gamut on the Panasonic. It's surprisingly close to R709 on the RS46 and the saturation tracking is very good.

Panasonic will not have an 8000 replacement this year, looks like they are on a break for a little while.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-25-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:

The 2:35 screen is for a tad more cinematic effect, in the smaller room.
While this is YOUR room, I would encourage you to consider that your HDTV 1.78 material is going to look like a pretty typical TV size with a 9' viewing distance and only a 75" diagonal. At 9' your diagonal really should be about 92"-106" with a 100" diagonal fitting nicely in the middle.

Unless your wall height is 7' or less, this sounds to me like an ideal situation for a nice 1.78 setup and the room seems a bit small for a really impactful 2.35 setup.

Just for your consideration, and if you are sold on the 2.35 then certainly it is your space to enjoy as you please.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

After researching and listening to the advise given here, I'm going to use some old Sony points, ( I had forgotten I even had them from when I sold Sony ES gear) and snag a vpl-hw50es. I'll probably mate it with a 100" 16:9ar screen and as you say, have the best of both worlds. I'm going to use the old test sheet trick to see just how big that will look in the pretty small room.

The Sony's throw ratio will work but a neutral density filter may still be a necessity to lower the fl to 16. I may add a bit of light with sconces to the room... we'll see. Also, I may well be able to calibrate it without the ND filter and that would of course be preferable. The less plumbing etc.etc.

Thanks again guys. I did btw take a good hard look at the JVC rs46 and even the b-stock 4800 listed at avs. When I found my credit points with Sony were still in play.... and me being one frugal son of a gun, the highly regarded 50es seems the way to go.

Doug k

post #10 of 10 Old 08-28-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

After researching and listening to the advise given here, I'm going to use some old Sony points, ( I had forgotten I even had them from when I sold Sony ES gear) and snag a vpl-hw50es. I'll probably mate it with a 100" 16:9ar screen and as you say, have the best of both worlds. I'm going to use the old test sheet trick to see just how big that will look in the pretty small room.

The Sony's throw ratio will work but a neutral density filter may still be a necessity to lower the fl to 16. I may add a bit of light with sconces to the room... we'll see. Also, I may well be able to calibrate it without the ND filter and that would of course be preferable. The less plumbing etc.etc.

Thanks again guys. I did btw take a good hard look at the JVC rs46 and even the b-stock 4800 listed at avs. When I found my credit points with Sony were still in play.... and me being one frugal son of a gun, the highly regarded 50es seems the way to go.

Doug k

Enjoy your projector. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page