JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700 and DLA-X900 New JVC European Range 2013 2014 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 85 Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

But they can address that 2K panel with half of the 4K signal in one position and with the other half of the 4K signal in the other position, thus truly integrated into a 4k output.

The limitation is a 2K (i.e., 1080p) panel only has 1/4 the number pixels of a 4K panel (2 Mpixels vs. 8 Mpixels) thus the combined image from the two 1080p fields only has 1/2 the number of addressable pixels as does a native 4K panel. The projected eShift image may even have the visual appearance in terms of visibility of pixels, smoothness of the image, etc. of a native 4K image, but it will not equal a native 4K image in terms of absolute resolution as it cannot display some very fine details when there is some pixel scale details present in the 4K source image. Don't get me wrong, I think the lower end JVC eShift projectors with a 4K signal input have the potential to provide a lower cost alternative to a native 4K projector while providing perhaps 75% (???) of the benefits I am disappointed however that it appears that JVC's new projectors won't have HDMI 2.0 inputs and it they also lack support for HDCP 2.2 then they may not work with some future 4K sources, such as Blu-ray 4K.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

The limitation is a 2K (i.e., 1080p) panel only has 1/4 the number pixels of a 4K panel (2 Mpixels vs. 8 Mpixels) thus the combined image from the two 1080p fields only has 1/2 the number of addressable pixels as does a native 4K panel. The projected eShift image may even have the visual appearance in terms of visibility of pixels, smoothness of the image, etc. of a native 4K image, but it will not equal a native 4K image in terms of absolute resolution as it cannot display some very fine details when there is some pixel scale details present in the 4K source image. Don't get me wrong, I think the lower end JVC eShift projectors with a 4K signal input have the potential to provide a lower cost alternative to a native 4K projector while providing perhaps 75% (???) of the benefits I am disappointed however that it appears that JVC's new projectors won't have HDMI 2.0 inputs and it they also lack support for HDCP 2.2 then they may not work with some future 4K sources, such as Blu-ray 4K.

Maybe JVC was waiting for the HDMI 2.0 announcement today and then at Cedia they will announce that this years eshift models will have HDMI 2.0 for future 4k sources like blu-ray 4k. Is that possible?

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #63 of 85 Old 09-05-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 134
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher191 View Post

Sorry if I'm not clear, I just can't visualize how this would work. With interlacing, only half of the pixels are painted in the first pass leaving the second half blank. The second set is painted in the next frame leaving the first set intact. With eshift, the second image covers the full area of the screen with no gaps - it is shifted but the 'tails' overwrite the 'heads' of the adjacent pixels.

How about this as a challenge for any takers, I made the image below with a grid to show 4K pixels. A 2K sized pixel is in black at the top left. Can anyone show what the 2 half frames would look like and then how they would blend?

Honestly this is a two year old technology and it's pretty easy to understand if you do your homework. You just need to google it.

Here is a cine4home article: http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/JVC_X-Serie/X70_Preview.htm
And here is JVC's explanation of the more recent eshift2: http://cdn.jvc.co.uk/dla-x95r/feature01.html
post #64 of 85 Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Maybe JVC was waiting for the HDMI 2.0 announcement today and then at Cedia they will announce that this years eshift models will have HDMI 2.0 for future 4k sources like blu-ray 4k. Is that possible?
It is possible but Ron is right, the increase of framerate in hdmi 2.0 doesn't guarantee that future content like bluray 4K will play. DRMs like HDCP 2.x will be necessary, the problem is that we don't know yet what the requirements will be as there are no standards. For the moment, Red is doing their thing, Sony is doing theirs, which means that the best you can do is buy one manufacturer's display to play the content that manufacturer guarantees you can play right now. Hdmi 2.0 alone doesn't guarantee compatibility with any future commercial 4K content. It's only the larger pipe we need to be able to display 4K content at higher frame rates in 2D and 3D. By the way, this is true not only for the source and the display, but also for all the devices in between (switch, avr, vp etc). Hdmi 2.0 is necessary, but not sufficient in itself at this stage until we know which commercial content we can play and this is not defined yet. Of course not an issue if you only want to play your 4K home videos and youtube highly compressed videos:)
post #65 of 85 Old 09-05-2013, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

H
Honestly this is a two year old technology and it's pretty easy to understand if you do your homework. You just need to google it.

Here is a cine4home article: http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/JVC_X-Serie/X70_Preview.htm
And here is JVC's explanation of the more recent eshift2: http://cdn.jvc.co.uk/dla-x95r/feature01.html

I have read those, thanks. I'm not saying it can't do it, I'm just saying I can't figure it out - but I'm no rocket scientist.

I can't make it work for the image above but I am sure if it is 'pretty easy' someone can show me how - maybe you have a minute to spare?
post #66 of 85 Old 09-05-2013, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 128
As has been said before: e-shift definitely does have its limitations. It will fail especially hard on test patterns with on/off pixel contrast. And a test pattern with white, black, blue and green is such a test pattern. You won't find such pixel combinations in movies, though. In movies you pretty much never have a white pixel directly next to a black or fully saturated green, blue or red pixel. In movies every pixel is usually a part of a gradation of the surround pixels. When there are hard edges in a video frame, the difference between neighboring pixels will be much greater than in flat regions, but it still usually is a gradation where you won't find a black pixel right next to a white pixel.
post #67 of 85 Old 09-05-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Just imagine it as having 4x the pixels for full 4k resolution. They would be fat, overlapping pixels, creating a blurred image. The blurring can be counteracted with sharpening prior to display. This works better with real images than with test patterns. To see what this looks like, take an image in a photo editing program, do a sharpen (to simulate the in-projector processing), then do a blur (to simulate the overlapping pixels).

The next thing to understand is that 2 diagonal pixels is almost (but not quite) as good as 4 pixels. You can see lots of examples of this if you look up examples of 2x MSAA.

As it has already been said, the result of these is closer to 4k than 2k, but not as clean as true 4k.

Time offset images do work fine for blending, due to persistence of vision. The shorter the time interval, the better. For examples, look at active 3D without glasses or interlaced TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #68 of 85 Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher191 View Post

I have read those, thanks. I'm not saying it can't do it, I'm just saying I can't figure it out - but I'm no rocket scientist.

I can't make it work for the image above but I am sure if it is 'pretty easy' someone can show me how - maybe you have a minute to spare?

You might want to create a new thread and see if anyone is interested. I'm following this one to get information about the upcoming models, not to debate about the merit (or lack of) of eshift, which is an old, clever, interim tech to get the most of 1080p panels before the switch to native 4K. It does what it does. In the right setup (large screen / close sitting distance), it's better than 1080p but not as good as native 4K. I don't think anyone is saying that eshift equals 4K (except JVC's marketing department of course, and only until they have consumer native 4K models)smile.gif.
post #69 of 85 Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Sure, but my point was that they do not necessarily have to downsample to 1080p before they derive the two signals driving the panel one after the other.

Steve Goff
post #70 of 85 Old 09-10-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 65
http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2013/09/10/jvc-x500-x700-x900-nouvelle-gamme-2013-2014/

http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.projection-homecinema.fr%2F2013%2F09%2F10%2Fjvc-x500-x700-x900-nouvelle-gamme-2013-2014%2F
post #71 of 85 Old 10-26-2013, 07:43 PM

Liked: 10
So this new line up are NOT native 4k projectors? Seems like they are playing with words by saying "4k Input"

This reminds me of when Early 1080P TV sets said "Accepts 1080P signal" but then just down converted to 720P.

This was taken recently from hdtvtest.co.uk

"Another major feature on the DLA-X500R, DLA-X700R and the DLA-X900R is their ability to accept 4K/60p (8-bit, 4:2:0) signal through the onboard HDMI 1.4 ports (well done to JVC for being refreshingly honest rather than fudging the line with claims of HDMI 2.0). However, because the D-ILA device is natively 1920×1080 and not 3840×2160, 4K e-shift3 technology is used to extract 2K frames from the original 4K signal, which are then upconverted to pseudo-4K ]resolution via Multiple Pixel Control (MPC 3) processing."
post #72 of 85 Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

They are not native 4K projectors. They do not simply downscale to 2K, either, though. They try to get near to true 4K by doing some special tricks (involving both processing and physical elements). How near they really get to true 4K nobody knows right now. We'll have to wait for first detailed reviews, then we should know.
post #73 of 85 Old 10-27-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

They are not native 4K projectors. They do not simply downscale to 2K, either, though. They try to get near to true 4K by doing some special tricks (involving both processing and physical elements). How near they really get to true 4K nobody knows right now. We'll have to wait for first detailed reviews, then we should know.

So "hypothetically" if a 4k Blu-ray player comes out in a month with a true 4K movie...these projectors will not be able to show the full 4K resolution, but instead accept the 4k signal...process it using its 1080p processors, then eshift it to a 4k resolution?

Seems like a lot of processing... why not just allow the 4k signal to pass through as true 4k? It can't be that costly... if seiki can have a 4k 50" TV for $1200.. how costly can it be for JVC to implement this?

I currently have the X35, and was considering upgrading this year... however I may as well wait until they release a 4k model that can just pass it through.
post #74 of 85 Old 10-27-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripsy666 View Post

So "hypothetically" if a 4k Blu-ray player comes out in a month with a true 4K movie...these projectors will not be able to show the full 4K resolution, but instead accept the 4k signal...process it using its 1080p processors, then eshift it to a 4k resolution?

Seems like a lot of processing... why not just allow the 4k signal to pass through as true 4k? It can't be that costly... if seiki can have a 4k 50" TV for $1200.. how costly can it be for JVC to implement this?

First, if a UHD BluRay player comes out and uses HDCP 2.2 (as currently proposed) the newly announced JVC projectors won't even be able to play a UHD movie because they will not include HDCP 2.2. SO even though the JVC accepts 4K inputs they will not work with UHD Blu Ray unless something changes.

Secondly, it's not possible to simply pass the signal thru as the image forming devices used in the JVC projectors are only 2K (1920x1080).

Geof
post #75 of 85 Old 10-27-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 463
It would be more accurate to say the processors are 4K not 2k. The processors first upscale to UHD if the input signal is not UHD, then of the 8 million plus UHD pixels, the processor extracts two 1080p frames and processes them so when displayed sequentially with one e-shift, your brain processes them as a UHD.frame and with 24 fps etc, as a UHD presentation. not the real UHD frame and its captured detailed, but still pretty good. I do agree that if these machines do not incorporate HDCP 2.2, they will likely be useless for UHD Bluray playback because we feel it is likely that they will be copy protected by HDCP 2.2. This is a real real fear and can not be ignored. I suppose the 4K bluray machine may down scale the 4k source frame to 1080p and output it and allow it to be displayed without HDCP 2.2 and then the JVC could upscale it to UHD but that would seem to be a real shame in lew of just putting HDCP 2.2 in the JVC chassis this year..

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #76 of 85 Old 10-27-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, they would accept the 4k signal, process it using 4k processing, then as the very last step extract two 2k images which are vertically and horizontally offset by half a pixel, so that when displayed overlapped, they approach (but don't reach) full 4k resolution.

Quote:

That's not a fair comparison. LCD manufacturers have been doing high resolution displays for ages. Small 15" laptop monitors have had resolution like 1920x1080 for a long time. So if you just glue 4 such 15" laptop monitor together, you already have a 4K display with just 30". Not a big problem. Doing 4K at 50" is a piece of cake for LCD manufacturers. But JVC will have to squeeze 4 times as many pixels into a chip with the same size as the current 1080p chips. It's difficult to do this while still achieving the same contrast numbers. Yeah yeah, they'll do it next year, it's possible, Sony has done it. But it's still not fair to compare to LCD. LCD manufacturers have so much more area to put those pixels in. You know how small those D-ILA panels are?
post #77 of 85 Old 10-27-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:

No, they would accept the 4k signal, process it using 4k processing, then as the very last step extract two 2k images which are vertically and horizontally offset by half a pixel, so that when displayed overlapped, they approach (but don't reach) full 4k resolution.
That's not a fair comparison. LCD manufacturers have been doing high resolution displays for ages. Small 15" laptop monitors have had resolution like 1920x1080 for a long time. So if you just glue 4 such 15" laptop monitor together, you already have a 4K display with just 30". Not a big problem. Doing 4K at 50" is a piece of cake for LCD manufacturers. But JVC will have to squeeze 4 times as many pixels into a chip with the same size as the current 1080p chips. It's difficult to do this while still achieving the same contrast numbers. Yeah yeah, they'll do it next year, it's possible, Sony has done it. But it's still not fair to compare to LCD. LCD manufacturers have so much more area to put those pixels in. You know how small those D-ILA panels are?

Ok cool.. Thanks for the info... I am just wondering if it would be worth upgrading this year, or waiting until the 2014/15 models.. I know it is an opened ended question with many answers... I am happy with my X35 now 1000+ hours and still kicking butt!! I am just curious if the eshift 3 would be a vast improvement right now, to justify the $4199 MSRP..
post #78 of 85 Old 10-27-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't upgrade because of e-shift 3. I would upgrade for the dynamic iris, if the implementation is good (we'll have to wait for reviews about that).
post #79 of 85 Old 10-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't upgrade because of e-shift 3. I would upgrade for the dynamic iris, if the implementation is good (we'll have to wait for reviews about that).

I thought jvc was proud on the fact their iris was manual.. I had dynamic iris in my epson projector.. It was annoying... And made a hard drive type noise when the iris opened and closed, not to mention more moving parts.
post #80 of 85 Old 10-27-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought jvc was proud on the fact their iris was manual.. I had dynamic iris in my epson projector.. It was annoying... And made a hard drive type noise when the iris opened and closed, not to mention more moving parts.

Yes, they were proud of that. That's why they now don't call it a "dynamic iris", but instead they call it "intelligent lens aperture". But really, it's a dynamic iris.

There are good and bad dynamic iris implementations. With a good implementation, a dynamic iris can bring a great improvement to image quality. So we'll have to wait for first reviews.
post #81 of 85 Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 11
I am curious if anyone knows the RS designate for the upcoming X500? I am interested in this unit, but I have seen very little info on it so far.
post #82 of 85 Old 12-02-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifhima View Post

I am curious if anyone knows the RS designate for the upcoming X500? I am interested in this unit, but I have seen very little info on it so far.

X500 is the RS49
X700 is the RS57
X900 is the RS67
post #83 of 85 Old 12-02-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

X500 is the RS49
X700 is the RS57
X900 is the RS67
And the X series and RS series are pretty much identical with the exception being the color of the trim ring around the lens (Gold vs Silver).

Geof
post #84 of 85 Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The new (2014) models do have 4K input.
post #85 of 85 Old 12-03-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member