post #151 of 157 Old 09-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post

If it is possible to match the brighness I try to do it. But to show the VW1000 or even the Lumis 3DS at 500 lumen is not the right thing to do I think and is not the best way to test. Lumenmatching is only one small thing to consider when testing projectors I think and I compare it to test cars, you dont match the power in each car to try to make them the same. I have tested the Lumis 3DS at full brightness side by side with the VW1000 and still I preferred the VW1000. Brightness is only one factor in a picture.

But even with cars you have to take into account the application usage. A Lamborghini would be lovely but if your primary use is driving it around the West Country in England or over speed bumps then it will prove fairly useless. Like wise if you only need 1000 lumens then perhaps using a filter to match lumens in an A/B test is something worth doing to be objective. Different factors of an image weigh differently with people as well.
For instance, I was checking out the LG OLED TV at Harrods today, they had a 4K 84" TV nearby and the majority of people were amazed by the 4K and barely noticed the OLED. The contrast ratio on the OLED was obviously far superior but size and brightness trumped it for the majority of viewers. So which is the better display?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 157 Old 09-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post

But even with cars you have to take into account the application usage. A Lamborghini would be lovely but if your primary use is driving it around the West Country in England or over speed bumps then it will prove fairly useless. Like wise if you only need 1000 lumens then perhaps using a filter to match lumens in an A/B test is something worth doing to be objective. Different factors of an image weigh differently with people as well.
For instance, I was checking out the LG OLED TV at Harrods today, they had a 4K 84" TV nearby and the majority of people were amazed by the 4K and barely noticed the OLED. The contrast ratio on the OLED was obviously far superior but size and brightness trumped it for the majority of viewers. So which is the better display?

I personally would prefer the OLED and if possible OLED 4K.smile.gif

I have tested alot of projectors and know that brightness is only one factor and to me it is not that important to even the brightness to see what projector is the best, but that is how I do it.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #153 of 157 Old 09-24-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I just picked up a Planar 8130 so I can see the .95 DLP next to the other projectors + the .65 Sharp.

Is this the box you are using?

http://www.3d-vip.com/#!3d-theatre-/c33e

I've read about it briefly, but how exactly does it work? What are the caveats on a projector that wasn't designed for 3D?

I see the MV3D RF transmitter in the guide. If this works well for you, I would definitely try this on the 8130.

Blee0120 - are you still getting the VIP 3D? has anyone else on the forum tried this unit?

The one issue I can think of is possible flicker. From the advertising:

3 PIN DIN connector:
For IR/RF emitter to run IR/RF glasses. Not used with DLP glasses when using DLP 120Hz
projector. Plug Play for 120Hz vertical refresh rate displays. For 50/60Hz displays, requires emitter adjustments for
different display types
. Tutorial Videos and manuals provided.

if it's only 30hz per eye that will be awful and unusable imo.
post #154 of 157 Old 09-24-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I haven't had time this month to do anything with work. I planned on getting it but I just haven't done it yet. Hopefully its not 30hz per eye, I have to look at it again
post #155 of 157 Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
http://www.3d-vip.com/#!3d-theatre/c128r

This is the VIP 3D Theater Plus, the one I am going to buy. That was the older version you was looking at
post #156 of 157 Old 09-24-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I don't know how it would be anything but 30Hz per eye, these projectors (AFAIK) only accept a maximum of 60Hz input.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #157 of 157 Old 09-24-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
i'm not sure why they would include 60hz support, it would be a brain-splitting on the flicker. They do warn us in the manual:

VIP-3D.jpg

on my Sharp 30K, the image is rock solid through the glasses even with ambient light.

I think I'll wait until Blee0120 experiments with this one and stick to 2D on the Planar. biggrin.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page