Digital Projection M-Vision Cine LED - Page 6 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #151 of 170 Old 09-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post

If it is possible to match the brighness I try to do it. But to show the VW1000 or even the Lumis 3DS at 500 lumen is not the right thing to do I think and is not the best way to test. Lumenmatching is only one small thing to consider when testing projectors I think and I compare it to test cars, you dont match the power in each car to try to make them the same. I have tested the Lumis 3DS at full brightness side by side with the VW1000 and still I preferred the VW1000. Brightness is only one factor in a picture.

But even with cars you have to take into account the application usage. A Lamborghini would be lovely but if your primary use is driving it around the West Country in England or over speed bumps then it will prove fairly useless. Like wise if you only need 1000 lumens then perhaps using a filter to match lumens in an A/B test is something worth doing to be objective. Different factors of an image weigh differently with people as well.
For instance, I was checking out the LG OLED TV at Harrods today, they had a 4K 84" TV nearby and the majority of people were amazed by the 4K and barely noticed the OLED. The contrast ratio on the OLED was obviously far superior but size and brightness trumped it for the majority of viewers. So which is the better display?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 170 Old 09-21-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post

But even with cars you have to take into account the application usage. A Lamborghini would be lovely but if your primary use is driving it around the West Country in England or over speed bumps then it will prove fairly useless. Like wise if you only need 1000 lumens then perhaps using a filter to match lumens in an A/B test is something worth doing to be objective. Different factors of an image weigh differently with people as well.
For instance, I was checking out the LG OLED TV at Harrods today, they had a 4K 84" TV nearby and the majority of people were amazed by the 4K and barely noticed the OLED. The contrast ratio on the OLED was obviously far superior but size and brightness trumped it for the majority of viewers. So which is the better display?

I personally would prefer the OLED and if possible OLED 4K.smile.gif

I have tested alot of projectors and know that brightness is only one factor and to me it is not that important to even the brightness to see what projector is the best, but that is how I do it.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #153 of 170 Old 09-24-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I just picked up a Planar 8130 so I can see the .95 DLP next to the other projectors + the .65 Sharp.

Is this the box you are using?

http://www.3d-vip.com/#!3d-theatre-/c33e

I've read about it briefly, but how exactly does it work? What are the caveats on a projector that wasn't designed for 3D?

I see the MV3D RF transmitter in the guide. If this works well for you, I would definitely try this on the 8130.

Blee0120 - are you still getting the VIP 3D? has anyone else on the forum tried this unit?

The one issue I can think of is possible flicker. From the advertising:

3 PIN DIN connector:
For IR/RF emitter to run IR/RF glasses. Not used with DLP glasses when using DLP 120Hz
projector. Plug Play for 120Hz vertical refresh rate displays. For 50/60Hz displays, requires emitter adjustments for
different display types
. Tutorial Videos and manuals provided.

if it's only 30hz per eye that will be awful and unusable imo.
post #154 of 170 Old 09-24-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I haven't had time this month to do anything with work. I planned on getting it but I just haven't done it yet. Hopefully its not 30hz per eye, I have to look at it again
post #155 of 170 Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 83
http://www.3d-vip.com/#!3d-theatre/c128r

This is the VIP 3D Theater Plus, the one I am going to buy. That was the older version you was looking at
post #156 of 170 Old 09-24-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I don't know how it would be anything but 30Hz per eye, these projectors (AFAIK) only accept a maximum of 60Hz input.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #157 of 170 Old 09-24-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 580
i'm not sure why they would include 60hz support, it would be a brain-splitting on the flicker. They do warn us in the manual:

VIP-3D.jpg

on my Sharp 30K, the image is rock solid through the glasses even with ambient light.

I think I'll wait until Blee0120 experiments with this one and stick to 2D on the Planar. biggrin.gif
post #158 of 170 Unread Today, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question DP M-Vision 400 Cine (5500 lumens / 2000:1)

Has anyone here experienced the M-Vision 400 Cine (5,500 lumens) by Digital Projection ?

Any input will be appreciated. This proctor seems to have some sort of a dynamic iris mechanism but is rated at 2000:1.

I know the LED version of the same projector is highly rated but I cannot find any decent real world reviews of the 5500 lumens version ?
post #159 of 170 Unread Today, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Has anyone here experienced the M-Vision 400 Cine (5,500 lumens) by Digital Projection ?

Any input will be appreciated. This proctor seems to have some sort of a dynamic iris mechanism but is rated at 2000:1.

I know the LED version of the same projector is highly rated but I cannot find any decent real world reviews of the 5500 lumens version ?
It has "adaptive contrast" which is not the same as a dynamic iris. Adaptive contrast is a software controlled video processing technique that expands each frame to take up the full digital contrast spectrum (16-235). This modulates whites and blacks within the image and places them at further ends of the spectrum. This doesn't increase the amount of actual contrast, however.
post #160 of 170 Unread Today, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
It has "adaptive contrast" which is not the same as a dynamic iris. Adaptive contrast is a software controlled video processing technique that expands each frame to take up the full digital contrast spectrum (16-235). This modulates whites and blacks within the image and places them at further ends of the spectrum. This doesn't increase the amount of actual contrast, however.

Unless I'm mistaken, no Digital Projection projector uses a dynamic iris.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #161 of 170 Unread Today, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, no Digital Projection projector uses a dynamic iris.
The Digital Projection HIGHlite Cine 1080p 260 HC does and I believe they had at one time a single chip DLP that had one. Their single chip LED units have LED modulation. The 260-HC had an excellent DI implementation. Just as good as the PD8150's.
post #162 of 170 Unread Today, 09:08 AM

Thank very much Seegs and Craig, I really appreciate your help. I am looking for a bright projector (about 3,000 lumens after calibration) that produces a very nice image for use with a good optical screen (BD1.4 / dnp) in a room with natural ambient light. I love the sharpness and image produced by single chip DLPs but am open to suggestions. At high brightness levels, it is important to have a good dynamic iris implementation as I am after a high quality projected image. Your input will be appreciated.
post #163 of 170 Unread Today, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Off the top of my head only Sim2 Lumis will give you what you're after. The vast majority of DLP projectors that put out that many lumens don't have a dynamic iris. I'd give Craig a call. He can set you straight in regards to some of your options.
post #164 of 170 Unread Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 818
DPI D-Vision 30-1080p-XB, rated for 4,500 lumens and 7,500:1 contrast.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #165 of 170 Unread Today, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Is that with a fixed manual iris or dynamic iris? If it's fixed he may not get the peak white lumen output he's looking to get.
post #166 of 170 Unread Today, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Is that with a fixed manual iris or dynamic iris? If it's fixed he may not get the peak white lumen output he's looking to get.

I have owned a D - Vision in the past. Super sharp picture, and mine had 2 lamps - that could be used independently or together. It had a manual iris however - moving to the Lumis was a huge step up in contrast. Once the lamps on the D - Vision aged, you could have great black levels or a bright picture, but not both.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #167 of 170 Unread Today, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Digital Projection HIGHlite Cine 1080p 260 HC does and I believe they had at one time a single chip DLP that had one. Their single chip LED units have LED modulation. The 260-HC had an excellent DI implementation. Just as good as the PD8150's.
I forgot about that model - I stand corrected.

post #168 of 170 Unread Today, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Correct, it is not a dynamic iris, so he will not get 7,500:1 contrast and full lumens.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #169 of 170 Unread Today, 10:31 AM

I'm wondering if I could buy a reasonably priced projector that would give me a nice image and decent contrast ratios on a SI BD 1.4 (120 inch diagonal / 16:9). My room is quite bright and I'm guessing I will need at least 3,000 lumens to get a nice image on the screen.

As the grey optical screen does help to enhance contrast somewhat, do you think a contrast ration of 2000:1 without a dynamic iris will give me decent results. Please bear in mind that I do not have to have LCOS kind of black levels. As long as I have good levels of contrast I will be happy. Personally, I place more emphasis on colour precision and image sharpness.

I am wondering if you guys have any experience with projectors such as the Digital Projection E-Vision 4500 and the Optoma EH503. These 2 projectors are virtually identical in spec but have different cases to identify with their respective brands. Probably the same source. Optoma rates their version at 5,200 lumens while DP rates their at 4,700 - 5,000 lumens. Both projectors are 2000:1 and don't have any DI. However the Optoma EH501 is a 5,000 lumens projector with a contrast ratio of 15,000:1

These are classified as 1080p projectors but in your opinion are they good enough to provide an excellent image on an SI BD1.4 ?

My point being, the above mentioned PJs are in the range of approximately $5k where as the M-Vision 400 Cine is more than double at $15K to 16k.
post #170 of 170 Unread Today, 10:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
I'm wondering if I could buy a reasonably priced projector that would give me a nice image and decent contrast ratios on a SI BD 1.4 (120 inch diagonal / 16:9). My room is quite bright and I'm guessing I will need at least 3,000 lumens to get a nice image on the screen.

As the grey optical screen does help to enhance contrast somewhat, do you think a contrast ration of 2000:1 without a dynamic iris will give me decent results. Please bear in mind that I do not have to have LCOS kind of black levels. As long as I have good levels of contrast I will be happy. Personally, I place more emphasis on colour precision and image sharpness.

I am wondering if you guys have any experience with projectors such as the Digital Projection E-Vision 4500 and the Optoma EH503. These 2 projectors are virtually identical in spec but have different cases to identify with their respective brands. Probably the same source. Optoma rates their version at 5,200 lumens while DP rates their at 4,700 - 5,000 lumens. Both projectors are 2000:1 and don't have any DI. However the Optoma EH501 is a 5,000 lumens projector with a contrast ratio of 15,000:1

These are classified as 1080p projectors but in your opinion are they good enough to provide an excellent image on an SI BD1.4 ?

My point being, the above mentioned PJs are in the range of approximately $5k where as the M-Vision 400 Cine is more than double at $15K to 16k.
If you get an actual 3,000 lumens hitting a 120" diagonal 16:9 BD 1.4 screen, then you are looking at 98 FL brightness on the screen. A flat panel is around 50 to 60FL normally. You may need sun glasses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page