post #271 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Please do tell why once you go 4K you can never go back ?

I'm personally torn about giving up my mew HW50ES for the VPL500ES. In-fact I am on the list for advance purchase but have a little time to bail.
I know all the details and advanced options of the 500 and 1000 over the HW50ES, that is absolutely clear, no question there at all. I also know that
the difference in brightness between any of these is negligible in real world viewing.

The part that concerns me is that so many very knowledgeable people are saying there is no benefit going to 4K unless you sit really close to an
enormous screen.

With 4K content far off on the horizon and 1080P Blu-ray going strong I am concerned the purchase price will not be worth the little difference I can gain.

I have HW50ES 13.5 feet back from a Screen Innovations Solar 4K 2.35:1 CIH screen 120" diagonal or 111" wide. Bat cave and dark room , my first row seats
are 9 feet from the screen.

Personally I like to watch front row , especially when I run 16:9 and 3D content.

To make up for the lack of brightness (3d ONLY) I may add a hidden in-ceiling drop down high gain.

I think he meant to say that we would not go back to a lesser projector. Like his $25,000 projector to a $10,000 projector 4K or 2K. However, Joerod has seen some 4K material I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I could have a sudden, unexpected increase in "disposable income" in a few days. I may become a lot more active in this thread. biggrin.gif

For instance, I may need to know the minimum throw for a 110" screen. Anybody?

11.04 feet.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #273 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Wait till we get 401K.

I feel the same way about not going back. But, still no one needs 4K now. A better projector is a better projector but holding everything except resolution constant, 2K is more than adequate.until we get high quality 4K sources and until one has a really big screen. If I had to choose, I would put the money into improving my projector over raising its resolution. Fortunately, for $25K MSRP Sony gave me both. 4K and one of the best projectors out there.

I'm planning to sit about 9-10ft from my 128" diagonal screen. I've been thinking sitting this close would need the 4K projector for at least the upconversion of 1080p, do you think 4K is still not needed sitting this close and a 1080p projector would be good enough?

See Profile
post #274 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

11.04 feet.

110"D 1.78 equals 8 ft width. 1.38 x 8 ft = 11.04 ft.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #275 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think you would appreciate the improved PQ over a 1080P projector of the same class as the 500ES 4K Sony.

Mark Haflich

post #276 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I think you would appreciate the improved PQ over a 1080P projector of the same class as the 500ES 4K Sony.

If I ditch my HW50ES for the VPL-500ES and spend enough to buy three of my HW50es units, I would like to think I would get a mind blowing difference in PQ not
just "appreciate the difference." Again, the other additional features on the 500 and 1000 are appreciated, the picture quality gain I would hope to be "OUTSTANDING!"
I'm sure it would be with 4K content but that is not available nor on the horizon. What I mean is if I change my HW50ES and install the VPL500ES today on my existing setup I would like to be able to say" Holy ******!!"
post #277 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
You can do what I did, use reverse projector psychology. Dig up an old projector you no longer use with the worst image possible, watch it a month straight before your new purchase. Your eyes will adjust to the bad image, then once you get the new projector, you will go HOLY...

But if you use the HW50es and then go to the 500es, you might only go MOLY.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #278 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I ditch my HW50ES for the VPL-500ES and spend enough to buy three of my HW50es units, I would like to think I would get a mind blowing difference in PQ not
just "appreciate the difference." Again, the other additional features on the 500 and 1000 are appreciated, the picture quality gain I would hope to be "OUTSTANDING!"
I'm sure it would be with 4K content but that is not available nor on the horizon. What I mean is if I change my HW50ES and install the VPL500ES today on my existing setup I would like to be able to say" Holy ******!!"

Probably not, maybe with a good 4k transfer, which we hope is here by next fall
post #279 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

110"D 1.78 equals 8 ft width. 1.38 x 8 ft = 11.04 ft.

Mark, i suck at math.

What is minimum and max range for 133" 16x9 picture? my vw95 is about 14.5 feet away.
post #280 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here but isn't there a lot more to consider than "just" the projector when looking for the benefits of 4k (upscaling) over 1080p? After all, how certain are most users that what they're seeing today on their screen is even 1080p? I've seen quite a bit on comparing various projectors relative to one another (especially zombie's fantastic work with his high gain HP screen) but not nearly as much about high quality screens and their ability to display "true" 1080p let alone 4k. With the exception of Mark H. and a few other 1000ES owners, I'm curious as to how many members contemplating the 500ES are using inferior screens that can't even keep up with the projector? Like I said, it might already be an unspoken requirement to those commenting so forgive my ignorance if that's the case. I guess I'm just speculating that the perceived gain of the 500ES over someone's current projector could be limited by another factor rather than just the projector itself?!

Disclaimer: I bought my first projector from Mike at AVS last year (the HW50ES) with very little knowledge of the matter. One of my requirements though was to put more money in the screen in the hopes of future proofing it (for a little while anyway) for advances like 4k. I hope he didn't steer me wrong with the Enlightor4k?! ;-)
post #281 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
@whitetrash66

Just multiply the width of the screen by the short throw and divide by 12 to get closest placement, and do the same with the longest throw to get farthest placement range.

post #282 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here but isn't there a lot more to consider than "just" the projector when looking for the benefits of 4k (upscaling) over 1080p? After all, how certain are most users that what they're seeing today on their screen is even 1080p? I've seen quite a bit on comparing various projectors relative to one another (especially zombie's fantastic work with his high gain HP screen) but not nearly as much about high quality screens and their ability to display "true" 1080p let alone 4k. With the exception of Mark H. and a few other 1000ES owners, I'm curious as to how many members contemplating the 500ES are using inferior screens that can't even keep up with the projector? Like I said, it might already be an unspoken requirement to those commenting so forgive my ignorance if that's the case. I guess I'm just speculating that the perceived gain of the 500ES over someone's current projector could be limited by another factor rather than just the projector itself?!

Disclaimer: I bought my first projector from Mike at AVS last year (the HW50ES) with very little knowledge of the matter. One of my requirements though was to put more money in the screen in the hopes of future proofing it (for a little while anyway) for advances like 4k. I hope he didn't steer me wrong with the Enlightor4k?! ;-)

I have a Carada BW screen I'll be using with the Sony 500. I find it difficult to believe that a screen will make much of a difference with 4k. What is so special about a 4k screen? Texture, weave,etc? Please inform me if you don't mind. Has anyone ever seen a Sony 1000 with a "regular" screen vs. a special 4k screen?

Thanks
post #283 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt a screen can ruin the picture as much as you think, unless its a bed sheet. Some screens are better than most but you will be surprised at how little the difference is
post #284 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Well technically resolution is simply the ability of the device to project all its pixels. Unless it has a scaling error such as a pixel mapping bug, then you are getting TRUE 1080p. Convergence and Chromatic Abberation does not cause the resolution to be less than 1080p since all the pixels are still displayed, though I suppose if it were severe enough one could make the argument that it does hide the adjacent pixels on certain colors. Most screens (all?) do not affect resolution even though they may affect sharpness. I suppose if it's a really trashy screen with a weave pattern that could cause some pixels to be cut-off or hidden into the weave, then the argument could be made (but who buys screens like that in here?)

Screens do affect sharpness though, the cheapest Elite screens they give away free with those sub-$1000 projectors have terrible sharpness (not speaking of all Elite screens), and the Da-Lite HP screen has better sharpness. I wouldn't think the Stewarts look any sharper than the HP though, but the Snowmatte or other high-end screens definitely look smoother than the 2.4 gain HP screen anyhow. 4k might make the screen weave more important, no idea as I am far from an expert on screens.

A sharper picture may appear to be higher resolution in some cases, I expect 4k projectors to be sharper than their 2k counterparts since the pixels are smaller. In general, most 1080p projectors are sharper than a 720p projector, because a convergence error on a 720p projector was more pronounced (1/2 pixel error on 720p was about the same as a 1 pixel error on a 1080p). So convergence had to be more perfect on a 720p projector to equal a 1080p projector (in general if all other factors were equal like focus uniformity and pixel definition).

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #285 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe Joerod uses a BW or something similar with his 1000es and it looks great
post #286 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I was so bummed with the original price for the Sony 500es. Lucky us Canadians are getting a nice price on these. Maybe now I can get a screen too. My dealer did say that Sony of America and Sony of Canada, and Sony of Europe operate very differently, and have their own pricing policies, MSRP, etc. I guess that explains the price differences all over the place?
post #287 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Quote:

I have a Carada BW screen I'll be using with the Sony 500. I find it difficult to believe that a screen will make much of a difference with 4k. What is so special about a 4k screen? Texture, weave,etc? Please inform me if you don't mind. Has anyone ever seen a Sony 1000 with a "regular" screen vs. a special 4k screen?

Thanks

I don't know that it necessarily can affect resolution except for what coderguy explained in his response.  I also can't speak for the myriad of screens that claim they are able to display 4k vs. those that say nothing.  Surely there is something to this though, otherwise everyone would offer their screens as 4k capable?!  When I was researching local installers that do ISF calibrations (before I headed down the path of learning to do it myself), I did hear from more than one installer that the screen material does make a difference.  How much I suppose is a subjective matter unless you have the ability to test multiple screens under the exact same conditions?!

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread from the OP's intent but I was curious what others thought about other factors contributing to the perceived benefits of one projector vs another.  Being new to the projector world, I'm extremely happy with my current setup and only follow threads like these to stay current.  I can't imagine wanting to upgrade my HW50 until 4k source content is more readily available and prices for 4k projectors are sub $10k MSRP.  FWIW, it's not that I can't afford a $25k projector but the value equation seems a bit skewed to me and I've never been an early adopter of any technology (with the exception of my first Tivo DVR which I found to be revolutionary back in the mid '90s).  As always, YMMV.

post #288 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
AVforums gives their impressions:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/avforums-news-notices/1812163-ifa-2013-first-look-sony-vpl-vw500-4k-ultra-hd-projector.html

Best part of the article, IMO

"Well that's all the specifications covered, the real question is how did it look in action? In a word - breathtaking. We were treated to some beautifully shot 4K footage of Africa and, projected onto a very large screen, the benefits of 4K were clear to see. The image accuracy, the brightness, the blacks and the sheer amount of detail on display was just staggering. The demonstration was using the dynamic iris but there were no obvious shifts in brightness as it opened and closed, resulting in impressive dynamic range. We then watched the trailer for Elysium in 4K and, again, it looked incredible, although we did see some slight judder in the fast camera moves, which may have been caused by the server Sony was using.

When we moved on to upscaled Blu-rays the Reality Creation engine really came into its own, taking full advantage of the higher resolution panel to deliver images that you would almost believe were native 4K. Sony used the 'Mastered in 4K' copy of The Amazing Spider-man and whilst some of Sony's claims regarding these Blu-ray discs are slightly dubious, there's no denying it looked superb on the VW500. The images were bright, blacks looked deep, colours natural and there was a fantastic level of detail without any noticeable processing. Despite its relative brightness, the VW500 was also a very quiet projector and at no point during the demo were we aware of the projector's presence.

The VW500 certainly looked as impressive as the VW1000 did when we had that projector in for review last year and although both models will be available concurrently, we really can't see any reason to pay twice as much for the VW1000 when the VW500 looks this good. It's early days in the 4K projector wars but currently the only two available are both made by Sony, which effectively means the Japanese manufacturer has the market to themselves. There will undoubtedly be other 4K projectors launched in the coming months but with its combination of performance, features and price, Sony's VPL-VW500ES is going to be a tough act to follow. "
post #289 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

.....  Being new to the projector world, I'm extremely happy with my current setup and only follow threads like these to stay current.  I can't imagine wanting to upgrade my HW50 until 4k source content is more readily available and prices for 4k projectors are sub $10k MSRP.  FWIW, it's not that I can't afford a $25k projector but the value equation seems a bit skewed to me and I've never been an early adopter of any technology (with the exception of my first Tivo DVR which I found to be revolutionary back in the mid '90s).  As always, YMMV.

You make very sensible points that very much fit my point of view. Contrary to what I would have expected of myself, though, I did spring for the Sony1000 when it first came out and have been very glad that I did. Not so much for the 4K thing, but for the high light output and other high quality aspects of it. I do have a large screen (144x72) and sit pretty close (~10-11 ft back), so the 4K upscaling of 1080p is also appreciated, as well as the high lumen output, high quality lens, etc. I've had it almost 2 yrs now, and with the upgrade that is being offered I expect to keep it (at least) 2 more years ; so even the economics of buying it looks fairly reasonable (I had gotten JVC's, since the RS1, every 2 yrs).

But these 'toys' are a very personal thing, and everybody has their own strategy.
post #290 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

http://www.avforums.com/forums/avforums-news-notices/1812163-ifa-2013-first-look-sony-vpl-vw500-4k-ultra-hd-projector.html

based on previous years, I would take some of the early comments with a grain of salt until the real deep-dives like Cine4home's reviews come out. Honeymoon impressions kick in hard core this time of the year and it becomes hard to separate 'OMG, Best Projector Ever' vs. the hard data that a lot of folks are looking for.

The only accurate way of comparing 2 projectors is in a direct A/B in the same exact room, both calibrated with a split source looking at the same exact content. Our visual memory is terrible with our brain filling in the missing pieces.

I'm sure cine4home is going to have a VW500 review with direct comparisons to the big brother if his early preview is any indication. This is what I'm personally looking forward to.

post #291 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
You make very sensible points that very much fit my point of view. Contrary to what I would have expected of myself, though, I did spring for the Sony1000 when it first came out and have been very glad that I did. Not so much for the 4K thing, but for the high light output and other high quality aspects of it. I do have a large screen (144x72) and sit pretty close (~10-11 ft back), so the 4K upscaling of 1080p is also appreciated, as well as the high lumen output, high quality lens, etc. I've had it almost 2 yrs now, and with the upgrade that is being offered I expect to keep it (at least) 2 more years ; so even the economics of buying it looks fairly reasonable (I had gotten JVC's, since the RS1, every 2 yrs).

But these 'toys' are a very personal thing, and everybody has their own strategy.

You made a wise upgrade at the time. I imagine your VW1000 will continue to serve you well for quite a few years. Sometimes higher end projectors actually wind up being less expensive in the long run, if they cure your yearly " upgrade - itis " - I know my Lumis has.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #292 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

based on previous years, I would take some of the early comments with a grain of salt until the real deep-dives like Cine4home's reviews come out. Honeymoon impressions kick in hard core this time of the year and it becomes hard to separate 'OMG, Best Projector Ever' vs. the hard data that a lot of folks are looking for.

The only accurate way of comparing 2 projectors is in a direct A/B in the same exact room, both calibrated with a split source looking at the same exact content. Our visual memory is terrible with our brain filling in the missing pieces.

I'm sure cine4home is going to have a VW500 review with direct comparisons to the big brother if his early preview is any indication. This is what I'm personally looking forward to.

Stop being a buzz kill. LOL wink.gif

We like our honeymoon period, and pre honeymoon period. biggrin.gif
post #293 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I have the Screen Innovations Solar 4K material which is measured to be 1.37 gain. I should be ok in the screen department I believe.

When I upgraded from the Sanyo PLV-Z4 to the JVC RS45 there was an obvious PQ gain by in my eyes more along the lines of meh then WOW!!
Going to the HW50ES mainly for increased light output in 3D was disappointing, PQ probably less in 2D, 3D was a little better but still not there.

These upgrades didn't cost a whole lot the last one, probably not necessary at all. The outlay of money each time for me I considered substantial.
Spending $10,000 for a mere meh would not be acceptable.

I may just hold off on the hot button for this one and wait to view in a side-by-side comparison. I normally do not get an opportunity to do this but have to
travel in November to a large city that I know will have a store.

Chasing the latest and greatest technology is like chasing your tail isn't it? Keep running around in circles and NEVER catch up. Well, at least the tail
chasing is free.....for dogs that is.
post #294 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the Screen Innovations Solar 4K material which is measured to be 1.37 gain. I should be ok in the screen department I believe.

When I upgraded from the Sanyo PLV-Z4 to the JVC RS45 there was an obvious PQ gain by in my eyes more along the lines of meh then WOW!!
Going to the HW50ES mainly for increased light output in 3D was disappointing, PQ probably less in 2D, 3D was a little better but still not there.

These upgrades didn't cost a whole lot the last one, probably not necessary at all. The outlay of money each time for me I considered substantial.
Spending $10,000 for a mere meh would not be acceptable.

I may just hold off on the hot button for this one and wait to view in a side-by-side comparison. I normally do not get an opportunity to do this but have to
travel in November to a large city that I know will have a store.

Chasing the latest and greatest technology is like chasing your tail isn't it? Keep running around in circles and NEVER catch up. Well, at least the tail
chasing is free.....for dogs that is.

The thing is many people are saying that the 500es is close to the 1000 and the 1000 from all reports is WOW!! So by definition the 500 is WOW. I doubt we will see any Meh reviews. LOL

I think there is a reason all the guys with cash on this forum (enough to buy any projector) are using a 1000. Man that 1000 is an amazing buy if you think about how much use these guys will get out of it. If I knew how long a 1000 would last I would have just got a line of credit 2 years ago. wink.gif
post #295 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If going from a Sanyo Z4 to an RS45 only produced a 'meh', then I wouldn't bother putting money in a higher end machine. The improvement per added dollar gets way less the higher you go and you pay A LOT for the last 2% of performance (as with high-end everything). I would expect the improvement going from a Z4 to an RS45 to be MUCH more significant than from an RS45 or HW50 to a VW500.
post #296 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

If going from a Sanyo Z4 to an RS45 only produced a 'meh', then I wouldn't bother putting money in a higher end machine. The improvement per added dollar gets way less the higher you go and you pay A LOT for the last 2% of performance (as with high-end everything). I would expect the improvement going from a Z4 to an RS45 to be MUCH more significant than from an RS45 or HW50 to a VW500.

If that was a meh upgrade then I suggest getting your eyes checked biggrin.gif Seriously thats a huge upgrade. Maybe you should be in the 3000 and under forum? Some people just don't see a difference, but it's there. I had a friend who liked the picture of a 480p Casio better then my X70 at the time rolleyes.gif I think his projector was 400:1 contrast. POS I could not watch if you paid me to but he LOVED it. LOL
post #297 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Liked: 10
Don't buy it now...The economy is about to implode. Hang on to what you have and buy gold instead. :0)
post #298 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

"Well that's all the specifications covered, the real question is how did it look in action? In a word - breathtaking. We were treated to some beautifully shot 4K footage of Africa and, projected onto a very large screen, the benefits of 4K were clear to see. The image accuracy, the brightness, the blacks and the sheer amount of detail on display was just staggering. The demonstration was using the dynamic iris but there were no obvious shifts in brightness as it opened and closed, resulting in impressive dynamic range. We then watched the trailer for Elysium in 4K and, again, it looked incredible, although we did see some slight judder in the fast camera moves, which may have been caused by the server Sony was using.

When we moved on to upscaled Blu-rays the Reality Creation engine really came into its own, taking full advantage of the higher resolution panel to deliver images that you would almost believe were native 4K. Sony used the 'Mastered in 4K' copy of The Amazing Spider-man and whilst some of Sony's claims regarding these Blu-ray discs are slightly dubious, there's no denying it looked superb on the VW500. The images were bright, blacks looked deep, colours natural and there was a fantastic level of detail without any noticeable processing. Despite its relative brightness, the VW500 was also a very quiet projector and at no point during the demo were we aware of the projector's presence.

The VW500 certainly looked as impressive as the VW1000 did when we had that projector in for review last year and although both models will be available concurrently, we really can't see any reason to pay twice as much for the VW1000 when the VW500 looks this good. It's early days in the 4K projector wars but currently the only two available are both made by Sony, which effectively means the Japanese manufacturer has the market to themselves. There will undoubtedly be other 4K projectors launched in the coming months but with its combination of performance, features and price, Sony's VPL-VW500ES is going to be a tough act to follow. "

I am impressed how they remember the picture from last year in full detail.!rolleyes.gif

I have the VW1000 an saw it right before I went to IFA and right after I came home, but I can not compare the VW500 to the VW1000. I saw it is a good machine, but if it is better than the VW1000 or vice versa is very difficult to say. But I think the VW1000 will be slightly better, and I look forward to test them side by side.smile.gif

Regards
Andreas

post #299 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

So I have a question about this projector and color space. If hdmi 2.0 only puts out 8 bit rec 709, and if 4k blu ray comes out with 10 or 12 bit rec 2020, will this projector still work with said movies, only with a reduced color space? Or will it just not play back the movies at all?

Any knowledgeable peeps out there have an answer to this question? I'm interested in this as well.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

post #300 of 1083 Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

First, the comparison will need to be the upgraded 1000ES or the expected coming of the 1100ES.

I have posted my impressions of various screens with the 1000ES. switching from Stewart 130 to Stewart 100 was a dramatic improvement in realism. the screen essentially disappears. JKP 0.9 and 1.1 would also cause a dramatic improvement.

People say what they want to believe often based on economic considerations.. I can't believe it would make a significant difference. I know what my eyes tell me which was confirmed by industry reviewers and color professionals in my HT.

Mark Haflich

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw500es
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page