Smilebox with 2D to 3D Conversion? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I'm a Cinerama Smilebox fan, and I recently heard of a technique to further enhance the illusion. Guys are engaging the 2D to 3D conversion utility of their projectors. It is said to add a striking impression of depth to the Smilebox. I haven't made the jump to 3D, but this might push me closer. I can imagine Smilebox with a fine-tuned 2D to 3D conversion (as can be done with the JVCs), and e-shift2 for closer seating to the screen.

Anybody try it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-05-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I'm not sure how converting a Smilebox movie to 3D would be any different than converting any other movie to 3D?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My guess/theory on what may be different for Smilebox comes from the fact that Smilebox is more than just 2D remapping to create a unique letterbox. It is a 3D simuation itself by changing how movement traverses the Smilebox screen. If some level of 3D conversion can be added to enhance the illusion of that deeply curved screen (not necessarily the intra-scene content), then the Cinerama simulation would be all the more realistic.

Edit: I'm hoping that the 2D to 3D processing can be adjusted to be so mild as to result only in a sense of depth to "the screen," not the movie content itself.
post #4 of 19 Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Count me as skeptical that any real-time 2D-to-3D conversion chip would be smart enough to tell the difference between a Smilebox transfer and any other transfer. The only 3D conversion device I own currently is the OPPO BDP-103, but I don't currently have that connected. I tested a 3D-Bee converter a while back and got very mixed results on almost everything I played (except Pixar's Cars, which converted beautifully), but I never tried a Smilebox disc with it.

In concept, I like the idea of 3D recreating the illusion of the Cinerama curved screen, but I think that would require a professional conversion overseen by human eyes to do it right.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #5 of 19 Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

In concept, I like the idea of 3D recreating the illusion of the Cinerama curved screen, but I think that would require a professional conversion overseen by human eyes to do it right.

Actually I'd think that would be pretty easy to do programmatically, you just map it onto a virtual 3D curve, it would be the same (I think) for every Smilebox film.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #6 of 19 Old 09-09-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Actually I'd think that would be pretty easy to do programmatically, you just map it onto a virtual 3D curve, it would be the same (I think) for every Smilebox film.

Agreed. But, again, I doubt that any real-time converter chip that you'll find in a Blu-ray player or display today will be smart enough to know what to do with that.

If you test it and have good results, please report back.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #7 of 19 Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Agreed. But, again, I doubt that any real-time converter chip that you'll find in a Blu-ray player or display today will be smart enough to know what to do with that.

Yeah, doubt it too, it would probably have to be a manual mode selection, but I don't think the Cinerama market is big enough for anyone to have done that.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #8 of 19 Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

.... I don't think the Cinerama market is big enough for anyone to have done that.

That is certainly the case. I was just hoping somebody here with a pj that has 2D to 3D conversion capability might have tried it and can report. I'll try to chase down the guys on another site who have said they tried it and report back.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
cam man..i tried how the west was won, smilebox on my sony 1000es 2d to 3d..the smilebox really gets a lot of depth to it! on my 168inch wide screen it looks 5 feet deep in center. very cool.. the picture however hardly looks 3d, .it really makes smilebox come alive..
Cam Man likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-10-2013, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samalmoe View Post

cam man..i tried how the west was won, smilebox on my sony 1000es 2d to 3d..the smilebox really gets a lot of depth to it! on my 168inch wide screen it looks 5 feet deep in center. very cool.. the picture however hardly looks 3d, .it really makes smilebox come alive..

Ha, that's an awesome result/confirmation!! smile.gif Thank you so much for taking the time to test it. My screen is 120 inches wide, so there'll still be plenty of depth perception to it.

Now I can't wait to upgrade to a 4810 (or follow-on) and spring This is Cinerama on some older friends who experienced Cinerama in the day. Of course, I plan to totally surprise them with it. wink.gif How the West Was Won will also be great to screen.

Everybody else...take note; a discovery made for all of AVS to enjoy. smile.gif
post #11 of 19 Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just to confirm, what you're saying is that the conversion brings the curved sides of the image forward and pushes the center back, but the actual image appears to be mostly 2D on that screen, like you're watching it projected into a bowl?

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #12 of 19 Old 09-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

2d to 3d doesn't seem to work all that well generally....somewhat better than 2d though..yes you definately get the cinerama bowl effect whereas before you had to use your imagination more. smilebox and good 3d would be interesting
post #13 of 19 Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Very interesting. I may have to hook my OPPO 103 back up. I don't recall being too impressed with its 3D conversion in my limited testing, but anything is worth a shot.

As I think about this, I suppose that the curvature of the smilebox bars could themselves provide a depth cue that tells the conversion chip to push the center of the image inward. What I'd be concerned about, personally, is seeing additional 3D depth and pop-out within the middle of the curve. I'd think that would look really weird.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #14 of 19 Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

my guess is, from viewing HTWWW is that the 3d will be spread out evenly. i used the sony 2-3d converter and will try my oppo 103 which i didnt realize had it also to see if its more 3 than 2 than the sony. theres a real cinerama here in seattle and moving my seat closer in at home does give you that surround effect similar to the real deal..in fact the smileovision is almost too dimensional
post #15 of 19 Old 09-10-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

theres a real cinerama here in seattle and moving my seat closer in at home does give you that surround effect similar to the real deal..in fact the smileovision is almost too dimensional

It is THE premier Cinerama theater left in the world! eek.gif They will have a 70mm AND Cinerama festival this month. You should go! I want to make a pilgrimage there to see this someday, as I was too young and nowhere near a Cinerama theater in its heyday.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

paul allens [microsoft] cinerama theatre is a pleasure to be in..the seats are really comfy, good popcorn, and of course the screen..they are slated to go to some hot digital setup soon if not already and i may get to the festival this year. to check it out...it's been a while. I do remember going to the big cinerama in downtown new york as a kid..now THAT was fun!
post #17 of 19 Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

.....their new projector will be the wolds first commercial laser projector install
post #18 of 19 Old 09-11-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

.....their new projector will be the wolds first commercial laser projector install

Yes. It will be interesting to see if they eventually come up with a way to do Cinerama there via laser projectors. There is already talk of a single digital projector version. I've been emailing a little with David Strohmaier, and he seemed to indicate that this was a SmileBox version. I don't know if it is 4K. I would think that they could use the 2K elements of the three 35mm strips used for the BD of HTWWW and come up with some software to blend the seams to render a 6K cumulative Cinerama screen and project with three laser projectors. The benefits may outweigh the cost of such a system, though.

The theater says that it will retain its film projection capabilities.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 2d to 3d converter on my tv. Converting 2D SmileBox to simulated 3D adds depth to the image. I set my tv for minimal conversion so that certain objects do not appear disjointed from the picture. The curved screen effect is great...in a dark room it appears that you have a curved screen coming out of your wall. I'm impressed.smile.gif

Regards, Brian
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Roku Streaming Stick Bundle

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page