Can you see the black bars using a Panasonic AE8000 with 2.35 screen (zero edge)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If I use a Panasonic AE8000 to view 2.35 content on a 2.35 screen using it zoom memory, can you make the black bars that will now be projected onto the wall above and below the screen go away? I thought I read something about a masking feature of the projector. If you can't, can you see them at all? I am going to get a 133" Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4 screen to use with the Panny in a living room setting and I don't want to see bars off the screen when watching 2.35 content. If this is a problem, I would go with an Epson 5020UB and a 115" 16:9 zero edge black diamond 1.4 screen. Thanks for your help.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I think I answered my own question by finding that the Panasonic AE8000U can 'mask' the picture by cropping away at any side with user controlled settings that can be saved and recalled automatically like zoom! Sounds like my concerns are alleviated. If anyone cares to elaborate on this, please do.

Thanks,

Rob
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Not sure what you mean by "go away" but I think you'll see them unless the bars fall on a dark surface; I don't believe that pj has sufficiently low black level to not see them

Noah
post #4 of 7 Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

After researching more, it looks like the Panasonic will mask away where the black bars are supposed to be. You apparently can setup custom cropping of the image and use this to totally get rid of the black bars in 2.35 viewing. This way, when you zoom out the picture for 2.35 content, the black bars aren't projected above and below the screen. Is this not correct? Please anyone with this projector let me know if I have this all wrong. I am going by a youtube video and the projector's manual.

Thanks,

Rob
post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by robininni View Post

After researching more, it looks like the Panasonic will mask away where the black bars are supposed to be. You apparently can setup custom cropping of the image and use this to totally get rid of the black bars in 2.35 viewing. This way, when you zoom out the picture for 2.35 content, the black bars aren't projected above and below the screen. Is this not correct?

Not exactly, it's electronic masking, meaning that any non-black content in the mask area will be blanked out and displayed as "black", however it's not actually blocking the light coming out of the projector, so if you don't have a dark, light absorbing surface you will probably be able to see the outline of the bars.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #6 of 7 Old 09-11-2013, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Ruh roh! What if the bars are displayed where the ambient light of the Zero edge screen shines? Would this cover up the bars from showing above and below the screen? My wall is not white, but a light tan where the screen will hang. I'm worried now... Maybe I need to change my screen order to 16:9. I would rather see black bars watching 2.35 on screen versus see them showing off the screen. I think that would look dumb. Someone over the phone at SI told me the bars would be displayed but I wouldn't be able to see the black bars but at the time I thought they might be wrong and I was thinking that the AE8000U would mask them away so they wouldn't even show. I've got to decide quick though as my screen will probably start getting made asap.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The projector will mask them away only to its lowest black level capability. If you want to get rid of visible bars above and below a 2.35 image, the last thing you want to do is project them onto a 16:9 screen (unless you overlap the blank areas of the screen with removable masking panels when watching 2.35 content). I would think your best bet with that projector would be to go with the 2.35 screen and then mount (or paint) permanent black panels above and below the screen where the horizontal bars will be. I made my own blanking panels by cutting sections of 1/4" plywood to the proper size and then wrapping them with black velvet from Joann Fabrics (can be purchased on line).
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page