post #271 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post

I know HDMI is better but component does HD resolutions (720p/1080i/1080p?) as well. What's wrong with this?

A current BD player will not pass 1080P over component. It down converts it to 480P.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_coulter View Post

I don't think there's the clamor for 4k like there was for a hi-def DVD vs standard DVD.

Much different world then, people were getting better picture quality with rabbit ears on their television than when they purchased a standard DVD, there was an easy comparison the consumer could make every day. And not to mention many DVDs were still being poorly mastered. Totally different with 4k.

I hope 4k media takes off, but the only way I see it being a success is if somebody like Sony just includes it "free" with a BluRay disc. Something like an "A" and "B" side. If it's a separate form of media, it will be LaserDisc 2.0 (which means limited titles and probably goes nowhere)

Let's be honest, you put a 4k picture on a 50" flatscreen up against a true 1080p BluRay at a normal viewing distance, 90% of people will not be able to tell. It's when you get really close or you have something like a projector that people can really tell. It's a much tougher sell to non-enthusiasts.

There could be a niche for some sort of high end streaming service, but the mainstream providers like NetFlix are not going to want to clog up their bandwidth with true, raw 4k streaming and consumers are not going to want to wait a few hours for a higher quality picture.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's an uphill climb. Fortunately, well mastered BluRays are still quite nice, even on a projector.

So you go on your computer and start a download for a movie that you want to watch that night. That is more convenient than getting on your computer and reserving a BD for viewing that night.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #273 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I don't think there is ANY clamor for 4K outside of niche A/V boards like this. I don't think the general public even knows what the real differences are between HD and 4K other than 4K sounds like a cool number. I hear repeatedly from normal people how amazing Netflix and cable broadcasts look on their HDTVs despite the rather obvious issues you see that absolutely kill me. I know the hardware companies and software companies want another revenue generator and are hoping for the next DVD since 3D didn't do it, but I just don't think 4K will be that lightning in a bottle, especially when people start seeing comparisons on flat panels at their local store. I think 4K should have been treated as a videophile format from the get go and used to continue to boost the high end market with big screens and systems that make sense. Something to revitalize the sagging sales of high end video systems that are being abandoned for cheap deals on Amazon and Best Buy. But it seems like the system continues their race to the bottom and are already trying to figure out how to devalue everything they have as fast as possible.

With flat panels getting bigger, people will be able to see more and more of a difference. That is the only way that I see 4K replacing BD.

post #274 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post

Source resolution>Display resolution>Visual Acuity>Viewing distance/angle.

From certian distances UHD will be indistinguisable from HD on the same sized display........ smile.gif

Simulation

Yep... thing is this 4K thing is a solution looking for a problem. When NTSC was all we had 1080P was a massive (and necessary) upgrade. Now that we have displays and resolution that essentially "put you there" enhancing it further is unnecessary to some degree.
post #275 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I don't think there is ANY clamor for 4K outside of niche A/V boards like this. I don't think the general public even knows what the real differences are between HD and 4K other than 4K sounds like a cool number. I hear repeatedly from normal people how amazing Netflix and cable broadcasts look on their HDTVs despite the rather obvious issues you see that absolutely kill me. I know the hardware companies and software companies want another revenue generator and are hoping for the next DVD since 3D didn't do it, but I just don't think 4K will be that lightning in a bottle, especially when people start seeing comparisons on flat panels at their local store. I think 4K should have been treated as a videophile format from the get go and used to continue to boost the high end market with big screens and systems that make sense. Something to revitalize the sagging sales of high end video systems that are being abandoned for cheap deals on Amazon and Best Buy. But it seems like the system continues their race to the bottom and are already trying to figure out how to devalue everything they have as fast as possible.

I wouldn't go that far, I think 4k will be the new thing Joe 6 Pack demands from his next TV, but most won't understand that it doesn't really matter if there's almost no media to support it. They just assume if the TV can do 4k, everything else falls into place. In 5 years, I predict most flat screens will be 4k models, with 1080p being budget WalMart-type offerings. No manufacturer is going to want one brand to have that advantage over their model, so they'll all go in that direction of putting a 4k sticker on their TVs.

In 5 years, do I think there will be a separate 4k media disk that's sold alongside Blu Ray disks? Doubtful, and if it is, it will be something like laserdisc that's expensive, available mainly through the mail, and very limited titles. I see a few 4k gimmicks on streaming services for a few blockbuster movies.

I could be wrong, but most streaming is not even 1080p, and most people are happy with it. It's an MP3 World unfortunately.
post #276 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:

While I am certainly excited by the prospect of a format that could be better than Blu-ray I'm certainly not anxious. Blu-Ray continues to deliver spectacular video that will more than hold me over until whatever's next does or does not materialize. Is there room for improvement? TONS. But that doesn't mean I'm suffering for something new.

Exactly - heck OLED displays are already going to make 1080P so much better than it is with current display methods that it makes me care about some future display format like 4K all the less. Especially when that involves replacing all my hardware plus buy movies again.
post #277 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Quote:

I agree with your general thought process. 99% of the people I talk to (outside of AVS) don't know about 4k, don't care about 4K and certainly aren't going to spend a premium to get 4K. Niche market until/unless it becomes the same cost as 1080P (this is true for software and hardware). The word of the day is streaming and instant gratification...quality is not the concern of the average TV/Audio consumer.
post #278 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

One foot in the grave? Last I checked dvd's where still outselling blu-rays.

Personally if the blu-ray is available I won't even consider the dvd, but it seems not many are enthusiasts to the degree that people who spend time on hifi sites like this are.
Having seen quite a bit of 4k I can say I want 4k but doubt I will be an early adopter. The cost isn't really the issue, rather it is that blu-ray already produces images that are equal (and more often then not superior) to what is currently playing in cinemas. The difference isn't also as large as dvd to blu-ray was which as I mentioned above blu-ray still hasn't started to outsell dvd. Hence I just can't see 4k taking of and being anything more then a niche for the foreseeable future. It is a niche I will happily join eventually but I fell it will remain a niche none the less. Oddly enough I imagine in ten years most will most certainly have 4k tv's but many seem to be willing to compromise on quality for a slight decrease in price (ie: still pick up the dvd over blu-ray as it is a few dollars cheaper).

I think the main reason most people will have 4K TVs is simply due to them replacing/buying sets and nothing but 4K being sold. They'll all be backwards-compatible I'm sure.

This is the same way Microsoft holds onto the installed user base. People get Windows with their new systems so *eventually* everyone upgrades, whether they really want it or not.
post #279 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

A current BD player will not pass 1080P over component. It down converts it to 480P.

Forgot that. But component still works on old bluray players and on XBox 360s, PS3s, and other devices that do hi-def.
post #280 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not too optimistic about the new 4K Blu-ray discs. Hopefully the standard will include most of what has been discussed in this thread, but what will the studios actually put on the discs? Will they use higher bit depth, higher framerate (source dependent, obviously), higher bit-rate, or will they just bare-bone it? AND charge a hefty premium? Not to mention what new draconian copy protection schemes they might come up with. With 1080P "good enough" for most people, we're the ones bying these discs, but not at any price. Ie. sales numbers will be small. Soon tagged as a flop by the media, while streaming is crowned the undisputed winner...

I don't know, I hope not, we'll see.

What I do know, is that I won't re-buy one single movie in 4K. I'll switch to buying 4K when reviews are glowing and prices are reasonable. Have actually cut down on the Blu-rays I buy. I only buy the big production ones, worth watching on the big screen. The rest, well....

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #281 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsp View Post

I'm not too optimistic about the new 4K Blu-ray discs. Hopefully the standard will include most of what has been discussed in this thread, but what will the studios actually put on the discs? Will they use higher bit depth, higher framerate (source dependent, obviously), higher bit-rate, or will they just bare-bone it? AND charge a hefty premium? Not to mention what new draconian copy protection schemes they might come up with. With 1080P "good enough" for most people, we're the ones bying these discs, but not at any price. Ie. sales numbers will be small. Soon tagged as a flop by the media, while streaming is crowned the undisputed winner...

I don't know, I hope not, we'll see.

What I do know, is that I won't re-buy one single movie in 4K. I'll switch to buying 4K when reviews are glowing and prices are reasonable. Have actually cut down on the Blu-rays I buy. I only buy the big production ones, worth watching on the big screen. The rest, well....

I don't see 4k media taking off, but it really wouldn't be very hard to produce 4k media, especially since the Studio creates it for Digital commercial movie theaters anyway. I would think it would be a few key strokes and you could have it. Whether they want a near "Master Copy" released is a different question.

The point is, with the internet as a distribution channel and the media already made, it wouldn't be that difficult for Studios to have a niche product that doesn't cost a fortune.
post #282 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I think it will be slow on the uptake, but will eventually gain momentum. Hardware manufacturers need 4K to stimulate the next round of purchases, everyone has full HD now, good quality 4K source material displayed on large UHD sets will get those wallets to open...cool.gif

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #283 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 322
What BS. If 4K Bluray shows up, at least 99% of those here with a 4K display will buy one and buy discs. Anybody here not have a Bluray player now for their 1080p displays? Chirp right up if all you have is a DVD player.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #284 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

No doubt...owners of 4k displays will jump aboard.....

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
post #285 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoherty972 View Post

Yep... thing is this 4K thing is a solution looking for a problem. When NTSC was all we had 1080P was a massive (and necessary) upgrade. Now that we have displays and resolution that essentially "put you there" enhancing it further is unnecessary to some degree.

My old laptop had a 15" 1440x900 display, it was fine, text was a good size, I no "screen door effect" was obvious distracting. That's "enough" right? I mean if you can't see the grid there's nothing more to improve right?

My new laptop is 3200x1800, with the font/DPI scaling set to 200%, resulting in essentially the same text size, boy is it a pretty display. Everything (well everything that works right) is silky smooth and sharp. Here's a good example of the difference:
4760.15-With-scaling_77B58086.png
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/123269-windows-8-finally-fixes-high-resolution-issues-for-metro-only

Not seeing the grid isn't the be-all end-all of resolution like a lot of folks seem to think, ideally you really want to get to a point where you can't even see a pixel. Then you have enough resolution to "match" the capabilities of they eye. The average eye can see about 100 lines per degree, at a seating distance of 4 picture heights (14.25 degrees) that's 1425 lines, which is already higher than 1080p. That's right about 10ft from a 60" TV and likely farther than most here sit with their projection setups.

At 3 picture heights (which is right about the SMPTE/Fox recommended distance) the resolution would need to be 1900p, just a bit lower than 4K/2160p. So 2160p would be ideal for many projection setups here. I know on my system (1080p, 1.5 screen widths 3.6 picture heights) I can see the limitations of 1080p and very much look forward to UHD/4K.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #286 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Text is a different animal to an digital capture of an analogue image.......

post #287 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That it is, (and is why the test patterns some use to show that scaling is bad are flawed tests), but I'm talking about pixel visibility, and the improvements I see with a 3200x1800 display vs a 1440x900 display apply to more than just text, it applies to images too.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #288 of 1070 Old 01-09-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

That it is, (and is why the test patterns some use to show that scaling is bad are flawed tests), but I'm talking about pixel visibility, and the improvements I see with a 3200x1800 display vs a 1440x900 display apply to more than just text, it applies to images too.

Fair enough.

The image linked here by pdoherty972: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1490218/blu-ray-4k-uhd-coming-2014-likely/270#post_24185860
Opened in a separate window and viewed close up, one can easily pick the higher from the lower resolution, however move back and the difference disappears at a particular distance.

post #289 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

What BS. If 4K Bluray shows up, at least 99% of those here with a 4K display will buy one and buy discs. Anybody here not have a Bluray player now for their 1080p displays? Chirp right up if all you have is a DVD player.

Sure, we will. But how many are we compared to the overall market? As previous posters have said, a lot of people have HD displays connected using composite cables, thinking they have HD and enjoying it.

Sales will be slow out of the gate, it will be interesting to see how fast it picks up speed. Some of that is up to the studios with how they price 4K discs. Higher premium than 3D? Could happen... I'm not willing to pay much more than I currently do for Blu-ray discs, which I think would be the same for most people...

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #290 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Its all in the marketing. 4K displays will become common place and the ad will say you need a $79 4K Bluray player to fully enjoy it. And there will only be an HDMI out and one optical or coax out for audio only. Build it and the ad guys will make them want to come.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #291 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Not directly on the subject of BD 4K, but CES saw the introduction of some very affordable UHD TVs that may ultimately drive the demand for UHD video sources, including BD 4K as well as 4K streaming and download services. One of the more interesting UHD TV series introduced at CES is the Vizio P-series. These range from 50in to 70in in size and $999 to $2599 in price. These are smart 4K UHD TVs with LED zone backlighting (64 zones local dimming) and feature five HDMI 2.0 inputs (with HDCP 2.2) and built-in HEVC decoders for 4K steaming video services (e.g., Netflix 4K). With the 70" only having an MSRP of $2599 this makes it less expensive than even the smallest and least expensive UHD TVs currently available from the Big Boys (e.g., Samsung, Sony, etc.). I believe that Vizio has a much better chance of selling lots of budget UHD TVs in the USA than does Seiki or TCL, since Vizio is already the best selling brand of flat panel HDTVs in the USA. HERE is the CNET story and HERE is the story on Engadget.. Vizio also has a more expensive 'Reference' series of UHD TVs that have 384 zone LED backlights and screen sizes of 65" and 120" (more on that in the thread HERE and a story with video HERE). No prices yet for these Reference-series UHD TVs.

Manni01 likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #292 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 263
http://www.engadget.com/ces2014/videos/

Mike Dunn, head of 20th Century Fox home entertainment, talks about video content and current and future plans including 4K Blu-ray. Sounds like most here wouldn't be very happy with what Fox is proposing for what he is calling "Blu-ray 2.0".
Manni01 likes this.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #293 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Mike Dunn, head of 20th Century Fox home entertainment, talks about video content and current and future plans including 4K Blu-ray. Sounds like most here wouldn't be very happy with what Fox is proposing for what he is calling "Blu-ray 2.0".

Thanks for the link Kris.

Why would we be unhappy? Apart from the fact that he's being conservative and speaks about dual layer BDXL (66Gb), I really like the idea of a player with a hard drive where you can put your existing blurays in and get a license for all the file formats for various devices. I don't think the hard drive will be big enough for my collection, but it sounds a lot like Apple's Musicmatch, where you basically get a better format for all your existing content as long as you have already purchased it once. That sounds like a very clever idea to me, and I hope they'll get their way (as long as we're talking BDXL 3/4 layers and not 2 layers, as 66Gb isn't enough. He was even saying at some point that it would be easy to replace the movie you have licensed when the format improves. I would certainly buy more blurays right now if I knew they would license bluray 4K quality when I insert them in this Bluray 2.0 player.
post #294 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Basically, that interview infers no hard media, nothing to shove into the machine. really well constructed interview. you like both of them.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #295 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 09:17 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View PostA current BD player will not pass 1080P over component. It down converts it to 480P.

OH really that's too bad I have an old Pioneer Plasma TV (720p) that doesn't have HDMi so blu rays are down converted?

post #296 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Interesting:

"Meanwhile, Blu-Ray Discs with 4K support could be a reality by the end of the year, according to the Blu-Ray Disc Association’s global promotions committee chair Victor Matsuda.
Talking to THR at CES, he noted that the BDA board recently approved work to extend Blu-Ray to include 4K and will be exploring the best possible technical blueprint.
Driving this work are members of a task force made up of representatives from 17 companies including Sony, Technicolor, Dolby, Fox and Disney.
The target for completion is year’s end."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/ces-as-ultra-hd-train-669587
post #297 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

Interesting:

"Meanwhile, Blu-Ray Discs with 4K support could be a reality by the end of the year, according to the Blu-Ray Disc Association’s global promotions committee chair Victor Matsuda.
Talking to THR at CES, he noted that the BDA board recently approved work to extend Blu-Ray to include 4K and will be exploring the best possible technical blueprint.
Driving this work are members of a task force made up of representatives from 17 companies including Sony, Technicolor, Dolby, Fox and Disney.
The target for completion is year’s end."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/ces-as-ultra-hd-train-669587

I certainly hope they will meet that target better than the last one, which was the end of last year smile.gif

I have a few cigars at stake.
post #298 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

The "Blu-ray 2.0" talk starts at around the 7:30 mark into the interview......just in case someone didn't want to watch the whole thing.wink.gif

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #299 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

The "Blu-ray 2.0" talk starts at around the 7:30 mark into the interview......just in case someone didn't want to watch the whole thing.wink.gif

Some of it sounds like Managed Copy, which seems interesting since I thought the content owners were fighting that originally.

post #300 of 1070 Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

I certainly hope they will meet that target better than the last one, which was the end of last year smile.gif

I have a few cigars at stake.

I consider those cigars now as an asset, collectable after the first of the coming year. You should now consider them as a liability or obligation, payable after the first of the coming new year. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page