Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #541 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 396
My biggest fear, and one that I think will be pretty common for any 4K content, is that most of the pre-recorded 4K content available when it hits will really only be 2K scaled to 4K by the studio and packaged. Most films are not getting 4K workflows and are being mastered at 2K due to budgets, special effects and more. Older films can be scanned at 4K and higher but many of today's films are still mostly 3K DIs, even when they are shot on 4K cameras. Other than Fincher insisting on a pure end to end 4K workflow has any movie other than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo had one? Even The Hobbit with its massive budget, Red Epic cameras and Jackson's pull only managed a 2K DI. I think that speaks volumes about where true 4K is in Hollywood at the moment.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

My biggest fear, and one that I think will be pretty common for any 4K content, is that most of the pre-recorded 4K content available when it hits will really only be 2K scaled to 4K by the studio and packaged. Most films are not getting 4K workflows and are being mastered at 2K due to budgets, special effects and more. Older films can be scanned at 4K and higher but many of today's films are still mostly 3K DIs, even when they are shot on 4K cameras. Other than Fincher insisting on a pure end to end 4K workflow has any movie other than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo had one? Even The Hobbit with its massive budget, Red Epic cameras and Jackson's pull only managed a 2K DI. I think that speaks volumes about where true 4K is in Hollywood at the moment.

If its too expensive to do true 4K, why are people so convinced that 8K is right around the corner?
post #543 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

If its too expensive to do true 4K, why are people so convinced that 8K is right around the corner?

Seems the manufacturers always have to push something new every few years.

How the content owners respond to all of this will be interesting...especially based on what Kris just stated.

post #544 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 531
That's why it is of absolute importance that we get something like 12 bit 4:2:2 UHD video with wider color gamut and high frame rate support besides a really fantastic object based audio format. Screw 3D... it's a dying "gimmick." They should really focus on bringing an astounding 2D image to the consumer. Otherwise, they won't bite.

And the compression quality should be even better than H.264, not the same at a lower bitrate. Even some of today's Blu-ray's suffer from macroblocking and other compression issues.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #545 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because Japan is working on it. There is ALWAYS someone working on something new that will replace something that someone is about to bring to the market. That certainly doesn't mean that we'll ever see it or that it will be mainstream. In this business we see vaporware CONSTANTLY with plenty of people chiming in that it is just around the corner and will change everything. OLED, lasers, LED, the list goes on and on. I've read too many times that some new tech will be an absolute game changer (especially in the projection market) and yet here we are.

Senior Video Editor

post #546 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, keep in mind that all the drumming about 8K stems from NHK in Japan. And they aren't talking about motion picture capture but broadcast events (like the upcoming Summer Olympics). The motion picture industry is quite a bit different because you have so many post production things that play into it. Special effects play the biggest role and this is probably the chief reason you're seeing films that are captured in 4K still only getting a 2K DI. But this is still a great thing, I am ALL FOR capturing live action at the highest resolution possible. This is why you see clear differences with films captured that way even with 1080p. I still think that 1080p is enough resolution for 99% of people's setups (but I'm MORE THAN FINE with getting 4K in the home). I'd rather see more headway made in chroma resolution and bit depth and better compression than a bump in pixel resolution. But I'm all for higher resolution masters used for the 1080p master. I would love to see more true IMAX capture, 65mm films and more and more 4K and higher digital capture. It only makes our 1080p images look better and better.
DavidHir likes this.

Senior Video Editor

post #547 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Also, keep in mind that all the drumming about 8K stems from NHK in Japan. And they aren't talking about motion picture capture but broadcast events (like the upcoming Summer Olympics). The motion picture industry is quite a bit different because you have so many post production things that play into it. Special effects play the biggest role and this is probably the chief reason you're seeing films that are captured in 4K still only getting a 2K DI. But this is still a great thing, I am ALL FOR capturing live action at the highest resolution possible. This is why you see clear differences with films captured that way even with 1080p. I still think that 1080p is enough resolution for 99% of people's setups (but I'm MORE THAN FINE with getting 4K in the home). I'd rather see more headway made in chroma resolution and bit depth and better compression than a bump in pixel resolution. But I'm all for higher resolution masters used for the 1080p master. I would love to see more true IMAX capture, 65mm films and more and more 4K and higher digital capture. It only makes our 1080p images look better and better.

+1 ! The better the original, most likely ( unless it gets screwed up on the way to Blu Ray or 4K Blu Ray ) the better the final product. Look at Oblivion - stunning picture. Actually, there are quite a few movies in the last few years that I find stunning picture quality wise. I'm curious to see what's next !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #548 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

+1 ! The better the original, most likely ( unless it gets screwed up on the way to Blu Ray or 4K Blu Ray ) the better the final product. Look at Oblivion - stunning picture. Actually, there are quite a few movies in the last few years that I find stunning picture quality wise. I'm curious to see what's next !

To me, its been about 2 years since I really have noticed a major increase in picture clarity with blu rays. I am hoping we can constantly get pictures to look like Oblivion and Pacific Rim.
post #549 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
I'll tell you what - the remastered version of Gladiator looks spectacular on my Lumis - it looks stunning. Hopefully higher resolution of the original in the future will mean everything ( going forward anyway ) looks excellent. Now if they could just properly remaster older titles, I'd be happy.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #550 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'll tell you what - the remastered version of Gladiator looks spectacular on my Lumis - it looks stunning. Hopefully higher resolution of the original in the future will mean everything ( going forward anyway ) looks excellent. Now if they could just properly remaster older titles, I'd be happy.

Absolutely agreed. There are some stunning Blu catalogs mastered from 4K sources - if we could just get more of these I would be thrilled!

post #551 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:

Which version are you referring to here?

I know of two: the first one that most complained about and then a follow up, the saphire series, that was a much better transfer. Has a newer transfer occurred? If so, what's the difference. Any links?

Thanks.
post #552 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Which version are you referring to here?

I know of two: the first one that most complained about and then a follow up, the saphire series, that was a much better transfer. Has a newer transfer occurred? If so, what's the difference. Any links?

Thanks.

Both transfers were under Saphire.

The original version which then was replaced with the remastered version which stemmed from a 4k master.

post #553 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Both transfers were under Saphire.

The original version which then was replaced with the remastered version which stemmed from a 4k master.

Ok, so there hasn't been a newer re-issue? In other words, if I have the second Saphire version from 2010 (or was it 2009?) I have the latest, greatest version?

Thanks.
post #554 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok, so there hasn't been a newer re-issue? In other words, if I have the second Saphire version from 2010 (or was it 2009?) I have the latest, greatest version?

Thanks.

Right, you should have the latest. The second release is the "real" version and it's so stunning it's unmistakeable. smile.gif (What a disaster that first release was!)

post #555 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

The UPC block area should be yellow and the UPC is 097360715842.
post #556 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually got the re-mastered version I have from England ( Amazon.uk ). I like the extended cut on this version too - makes the emperor extra nasty !

post #557 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Right, you should have the latest. The second release is the "real" version and it's so stunning it's unmistakeable. smile.gif (What a disaster that first release was!)

So, was the Sapphire version PQ the same as the second release? I want to order it but not sure which one to order
post #558 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So, was the Sapphire version PQ the same as the second release? I want to order it but not sure which one to order

Both transfers of Gladiator were always released under the Sapphire logo.

Paramount merely started replacing the original transfer with the new remastered which can be indicated by the yellow UPC as Wendall noted.

If you mail order it there is always a chance it's the original, non-mastered version although Paramount was allowing for a mail-in swap - not sure if they still are.

This might be a title you want to get in-store just to avoid some potential hassle.

post #559 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

IMO, planed obsolesce is part of most any manufacturing business. If it were possible to release 4K, 4:4:4, 16 bit, XYZ Color in HDR with HFR next week it would not be done. I think we will see incremental improvements in display devices and source material but it will be doled out over a period of several years.

I would wager the Broadcom BCM7251 and BCM7445 H.265 decoders will only do 8 bit, 4:2:0 at UHD and 4K resolutions and I fully expect that is what the 1G of UHD Blu-ray players to have. If anyone has the specs for the BCM7251 and BCM7445 then please post the pertinent info here. Is there any other silicon H.265 decoders available?

Broadcom h.265/HEVC decoder chips conform to the "Main 10" profile of HEVC which is support for 8 bit and 10 bit UHD at up to 60Hz using 4:2:0.

UHD @ 60Hz and 10-bit depth with ViXS decoder chip:
“ViXS is first to market with a shipping 4K H.265/HEVC decoding chip as evidence by Panasonic’s adoption in its latest Ultra HD 4K TV” said Oliver Gunasekara, President and CEO, NGCodec Inc. “Combined with NGCodec’s extensive experience in providing semiconductor IP, we are excited to be offering this new, low power, production proven, HEVC 4K 10 bit 60p video decoder to mobile and media semiconductor manufacturers”

STMicroelectronics HEVC UHD decoder chips:
"STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM), a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications, has introduced two set-top box System-on-Chip (SoC) families, codenamed ‘Cannes’ and ‘Monaco’, that include devices with UltraHD resolution (2160p) and HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) video-decoding support. The new product families improve the viewing experience while enriching ST’s digital consumer portfolio with a wide range of compatible chips for server, gateway and client-box applications.

The ‘Cannes’ client-box SoC family (STiH312, STiH310, STiH305) addresses a wide range of needs from extensive support of high-definition premium content to all-integrated, cost-optimized solutions. It delivers high computing capabilities based on ARM multi-core processors, superior 2D/3D graphics performance, integrated hardware video encoders with pre-processing, and Faroudja®-enhanced video processing. The devices also feature PCIe™ supporting Wi-Fi connectivity, smart-card interfaces, two 6Gbit/s Gen 3 eSATA interfaces, as well as USB2/3, low-power modes, and comprehensive security toolbox for premium content delivery.
The STiH312 device will allow next-generation set-top boxes to stream HEVC high-definition content over lower-speed broadband connections, including content with 2160p resolution (known as UltraHD, or UHD), that significantly augments the viewing experience for end users with more realistic and in-the-action immersion. Moreover, combined with the HEVC standard, UHD increases the number of households accessing very high-quality content while reducing delivery costs for service providers.
The STiH305 and STiH310 support a wide range of video standards (including H.264 and/or HEVC) and enable a new generation of cost-optimized set-top boxes that allow operators to deliver services with reduced bandwidth utilization, including best-in-class solution for HEVC HD content."

Remember the initial version of the h.265 standard only supported UHD using 4:2:0 at 8 and 10 bits. The first addendum to h.265 was completed just 3 months ago and it added support for greater bit depths and higher fidelity chroma subsampling (e.g., 4:2:2). The HEVC decoder chips are not yet available to support the h.265 addendum, but by the end of 2014 when Blu-ray 4K may first appear the 2nd generation of HEVC decoder chips may be available.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #560 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 03:50 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View PostBecause Japan is working on it. There is ALWAYS someone working on something new that will replace something that someone is about to bring to the market. That certainly doesn't mean that we'll ever see it or that it will be mainstream. In this business we see vaporware CONSTANTLY with plenty of people chiming in that it is just around the corner and will change everything. OLED, lasers, LED, the list goes on and on.
Yes
I've read too many times that some new tech will be an absolute game changer (especially in the projection market) and yet here we are.
That's so true unfortunately no movies in 4K yet on BD :(

All I want is a 4K projector a 4K OPPO Blu Ray Players and good 4K movies :D

post #561 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Panasonic is still very committed to the Blu-ray format and has announced six new players for 2014. The flagship DMP-BDT700 can process 4K content and has a HDMI 2.0 output - despite the lack of a 4K Blu-ray standard.

Panasonic 4K Blu-ray – without 4K Blu-ray

A new 4K Blu-ray-standard will not be announced until year-end, but Panasonic already has a Blu-ray player that can process 4K content.

We picked up on the first details of the DMP-BDT700 in February, and Panasonic has now confirmed details and the design. The Blu-ray player supports 4K in up to 60 fps and can process a 4K signal from start to end without downscaling. Panasonic is not making it clear why this is necessary as current Blu-ray discs cannot store 4K content, but Panasonic says that it is possible to reproduce 4K photos from a camera in all their glory. Full HD Blu-ray discs will also be upscaled to 4K.

Panasonic DMP-BDT700

The player has two HDMI outputs and also packs analog 7.1 audio outputs. It offers TV apps and supports 192kHz/32bit audio. Lastly, it has built-in WiFi, Miracast and support for Flac.

DMP-BDT700

• 4K 60p Output / 4K JPEG Playback / 4K Direct Chroma Up-scaling
  • FULL HD 3D Blu-ray Disc Playback
  • 2D-3D Conversion
  • Video on Demand in HD Quality
  • TWIN HDMI
  • High Grade 192kHz/32bit DAC x 4
  • 7.1ch Analog Audio Output / Pure Audio on HDMI / FLAC Compatibility
  • Internet Apps / Web Browser / DLNA (DMP/DMR) / Network Drive Access
  • External HDD Playback
  • Built-in Wi-Fi / Miracast / Multi-User Mode
  • Aluminum Front Panel
post #562 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Broadcom h.265/HEVC decoder chips conform to the "Main 10" profile of HEVC which is support for 8 bit and 10 bit UHD at up to 60Hz using 4:2:0.

Thanks for the updates and info Ron, good to see the silicon start flowing (no pun intended).
post #563 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

The flagship DMP-BDT700 can process 4K content and has a HDMI 2.0 output - despite the lack of a 4K Blu-ray standard.

Slick looking box. Maybe Kris will get one for review.
post #564 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 05:20 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

post #565 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 06:43 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

post #566 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Upscaling 4K players are nothing new. Wonder if the other media is 4K YouTube videos.

Senior Video Editor

post #567 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Upscaling 4K players are nothing new. Wonder if the other media is 4K YouTube videos.

I thought that was a 4k genuine player biggrin.gif
post #568 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I thought that was a 4k genuine player biggrin.gif

Not likely. biggrin.gif

And I wonder if the BDT-700 just has a flashier outer case or if the transport mechanism and tray system are also more robust than the flimsy garbage we're seeing in most of today's Blu-ray players.

post #569 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can the Panasonic UniPhier chip in the BDT-700 decode & encode HEVC?
post #570 of 1244 Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL View Post

Can the Panasonic UniPhier chip in the BDT-700 decode & encode HEVC?

Well, given that HEVC was just updated for higher bit depth, etc. (Rec. 2020), I would have to say if it did it wouldn't be up to date and it wouldn't be ready to read the newer Blu-ray discs no matter what they came up with. So, consider it just another Blu-ray player until UHD discs are announced.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page