- ITU already set standards ( possible parameters for UHD/UHDTV wich are different to 4K ).
- SMPTE is being specify HDR and HFR standards ( to add 100 and 120/1,001 hz for UHDTV, not for BD application ).
- EBU manage the delivery of European standards coordinating tasks with necessary actors who use the recommendations of the ITU and SMPTE.
- DVB specifies the parameters chosen ( norms ) for UHDTV distribution ( Satellite, IP, Cable, ... )
- DE ( Digitaleurope ) will provide UHD logo for all UHD products sells in europe and they already published minimum spécifications for UHD products to be compliant with the next logo. Maybe a problem or not : UHDTV1 normed by DVB is 10bits color depth only while, for Digitaleurope, 8 bits TV will be compliant with UHD logo.
- Orange Labs ( menber of 4EVER french consortium wich is a EBU Partner ) made all pre-tests for HEVC ( rates comparison, perceived quality, ... ) and furnish recommandations for HEVC parameter sets ( broadbanding and mobile applications ).
- MPEG is making test to compare VP9 and HEVC efficiency.
Remark : DVB partners must be compliant with DVB norms to brodcast UHD signals ( it was already the case with Full HD and HD ready ). Major private european brodcasters by satellite as SKY, CANAL PLUS, TF1, BBC, RAI, RTL, RTVE, PROSIEBEN will use DVB parameters for UHD broadcasting as shown above.
In France, the over-the-air terrestrial broadcasters are usually not DVB menbers and they depend on government decisions ( government channels or private channels choosen by government ). I guess French government will follow EBU and DVB norms ...