post #991 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Yep, skipping 4K to wait on 8K is going to be a long, long wait. I would expect some of your current equipment will die long before 8K physical media shows up.
Or I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Just found that the new Onkyos (1030, 3030 available this summer), on top of their limited HDMI 2.0b speed, only support HDCP 2.2 on one input (HDMI IN 3) and one output (MAIN HDMI OUT), so absolutely useless for switching more than one 4K protected source, or if you have more than one 4K display.

No interest vs using the dual output of your source if you have only one 4K protected source.

Such a huge fail for ALL AVR manufacturers this year...

Keeping my Denon 3311 until they get their act together and offer HDCP 2.2 on all inputs / outputs and HDMI 2.0a speed.
In regard to Onkyo I would be more concerned about why they dropped Audessey and down graded their amp rating to THX select from THX ultra

that points to a downgrade in sound IMO....no matter what "K" you are looking at

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #993 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
Or I will.
Don't talk like that. You are my age.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #994 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
In regard to Onkyo I would be more concerned about why they dropped Audessey and down graded their amp rating to THX select from THX ultra

that points to a downgrade in sound IMO....no matter what "K" you are looking at

Warren
Never-ending saga: Storied brand gets bought by conglomerate; cost-cutting campaign soon ensues; product substance undergoes extraction in small incremental stages; product managers rationalize moves as necessary to remain "competitive" (and to keep their jobs).
post #995 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

Warren
I believe its supposed to be due to a lack of processing power onboard.

Take Anthems ARC for example, it needs to be run on a laptop as its more processor intensive, seems the Onkyo couldn't handle Atmos and full-on Audyssey internally.

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Scope Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Sony BDP S6200 | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | MK M4T Sides | KEF E301 Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : iPad Air | Harmony Ultimate |
post #996 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
To be clear, Anthem's ARC "solution" is computed on a PC, but the actual ARC processing happens in the SSP.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #997 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
To be clear, Anthem's ARC "solution" is computed on a PC, but the actual ARC processing happens in the SSP.
Exactly, this is also the way Audyssey Pro works as well. It comes down to speed of crunching the data which is FAR faster on a PC than it is in a processor.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #998 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Exactly, this is also the way Audyssey Pro works as well. It comes down to speed of crunching the data which is FAR faster on a PC than it is in a processor.
Yep, I agree with that, but not certain where I read this - it was said that the processing power of the Onkyo couldn't handle Audyssey and Atmos processing at the same time, it could only do one or the other?

That may be incorrect, but it was put forward as the reason Audyssey was dropped by Onkyo.

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Scope Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Sony BDP S6200 | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | MK M4T Sides | KEF E301 Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : iPad Air | Harmony Ultimate |
post #999 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

It is unclear why Onkyo did or didn't do anything and without something officially from Onkyo I think most of what you hear on the forums is speculation. Ultimately I doubt Onkyo will respond in any official way and will probably state that their solution is every bit as good as what they had before. No manufacturer likes to shoot themselves in the foot by announcing their new stuff is a scaled down version of their old stuff.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #1000 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 329
The only thing for sure is that Onkyo's AccuEQ is developed by Dolby for Onkyo...based on Onkyo training in Canada.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #1001 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
It is unclear why Onkyo did or didn't do anything and without something officially from Onkyo I think most of what you hear on the forums is speculation. Ultimately I doubt Onkyo will respond in any official way and will probably state that their solution is every bit as good as what they had before. No manufacturer likes to shoot themselves in the foot by announcing their new stuff is a scaled down version of their old stuff.
but it is a downgrade.....going from THX ultra to THX select is a downgrade

though It seems that the number of matrixed channels is more important than sound quality is to many consumers

to be clear
The Anthem products are in a different "neighborhood" than any of the Asian manufacturers

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #1002 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

It is unclear what THX select even means in terms of a processor. For an AVR it has to do with the power output and room size. This could be an issue depending on load, but it also may not be. Even if it didn't have enough power for the application you could always increase that with an outboard amp.
post #1003 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Better yet get speakers with a built in electronic cross over and amps designed for each driver. Do it right. The era of passive crossovers and huge big amps to feed each speaker's passive cross over is over. Do what the pros do. At most you need a good audio and video processor and even then you can get surprisingly good audio processing by using just the line level outs from a very cheap receiver.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1004 of 1078 Old 07-15-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Better yet get speakers with a built in electronic cross over and amps designed for each driver. Do it right. The era of passive crossovers and huge big amps to feed each speaker's passive cross over is over. Do what the pros do. At most you need a good audio and video processor and even then you can get surprisingly good audio processing by using just the line level outs from a very cheap receiver.
Very good point, Mark. I have Mark Seaton Catalysts for L/C/R, and a Seaton SubMersiveHP sub, all of which have their own internal (and ample) amps. The only thing I need the for amps in the AVR (and elderly Onkyo 3008) is for 5 surrounds speakers, very light duty.
post #1005 of 1078 Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Shooting from the hip Mark?

I would guess the "era of passive crossovers and huge big amps to feed each speaker's passive cross over is over" is far from over.

Amplified speakers require an AC outlet at each position; that or a lot of extension cords lying around. With Dolby Atmos and the advent of increasing channel count/positions active speakers become even more difficult to install unless you're working with a clean sheet of paper.

I think it's safe to say that passive speakers and and big amplifiers are going to be around for a long time.
GetGray likes this.
post #1006 of 1078 Old 07-16-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Shooting from the hip Mark?

I would guess the "era of passive crossovers and huge big amps to feed each speaker's passive cross over is over" is far from over.

Amplified speakers require an AC outlet at each position; that or a lot of extension cords lying around. With Dolby Atmos and the advent of increasing channel count/positions active speakers become even more difficult to install unless you're working with a clean sheet of paper.

I think it's safe to say that passive speakers and and big amplifiers are going to be around for a long time.
I also dare say that the speaker probably won't last as long with a built-in amp either. If the amp goes dead... there goes your speaker... unless it has a passive input workaround. Hopefully, there are still spare parts available if it dies after your warranty period is over.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1007 of 1078 Old 07-16-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I designed my theater for power at each speaker location and the coax feeds to each speakers have adapters so they can be converted from line level to speaker level. I took a lightening hit that several damaged two of the amps but they were fixed by an independent shop. Of course nonpowered speakers and passive x overs and big amps will live on. But the pros use self powered and line level feeds. Obviously top level execution is possible using these methods and they are the most popular. But if you are truly serious, active cross overs and amps designed to drive the specific driver are the way to go.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1008 of 1078 Old 07-16-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

You must have some fat coax Mark if it can convert to speaker level.
post #1009 of 1078 Old 07-16-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

I use active speakers for my LCR's, but passive for my surrounds. Rather than the amp in each speaker, I have my amps in my rack.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1010 of 1078 Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The cable is just high quality quad shield. The adapters screw onto the standard coax termination. One set has an rca and the other two wire spades. the product was sold by Music Interface Technologies. Remember non of the speaker terminations for such things as sides or rears would carry much power. all the subs are line level for the most part. Come to think of it, I do have two folded sub transmission lines in ,y ceiling weighing in at about 300 lbs each and they do run off plate amps in my rack. These I think are hardwired with speaker wire.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1011 of 1078 Old 07-17-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
The cable is just high quality quad shield. The adapters screw onto the standard coax termination. One set has an rca and the other two wire spades. the product was sold by Music Interface Technologies. Remember non of the speaker terminations for such things as sides or rears would carry much power. all the subs are line level for the most part. Come to think of it, I do have two folded sub transmission lines in ,y ceiling weighing in at about 300 lbs each and they do run off plate amps in my rack. These I think are hardwired with speaker wire.
I think the point GetGray was alluding to was the wire gauge.

Most coax is around 22 gauge, maybe 18 gauge at best. Probably not the best approach for speaker wire considering the length of wire runs in most hometheaters.

Not so much about power needed. More about impedance and damping factor.
post #1012 of 1078 Old 07-17-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I know quite a bit here gentlemen. Trust me. I would not use this for a high quality 2 channel system. But its surround sound and certainly for line level its more than sufficient. Syrrounds are small in size and power requirements. When hardwiring a customers theater, i use a minimum of 14 x 4. but damping factor is really not an issue. The power draw for surrounds for the most part is minimal . And our concern is not with dc impedence . We are dealing with rather low voltage AC. The network design to make quad carry enough power at speaker level is not brain science. Your passive cross over speakers presents problems fior most home theater amplifiers. But they work and they sound great. Its hard to really screw things up because of spkr wiring. its really eact to not use good room design or no or little ascoustical treatment of the wrong treatment in the wrong spots.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1013 of 1078 Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

They are talking about the cable being used as passive speaker wire, since you said it has spade ends.

post #1014 of 1078 Old 07-17-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mike. That is intuitively obvious to me and I am far more than a casual observer. You are using a relatively small guage wire, Shall we discuss the AC impedance of the coax cable and its relatively high capacitance. Its needs a network box on each and to make it at all high level suitable, Its does not need to be low guage number particularly because it is not moving a lot iof air. It ain't used for subs but once again it does make a great line level sub cable. There the network boxes do little except provide the right connector.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1015 of 1078 Old 07-17-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Whatever
post #1016 of 1078 Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Why are we discussing passive vs. active speakers in this thread?
post #1017 of 1078 Old 07-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Why are we discussing passive vs. active speakers in this thread?
Well, if discussion were limited to new updates on the BR4K, the thread would probably die, so those of us who come here to see what's new, and there is nothing, we just begin yaking about something more relevant while waiting, kinda like chit chat in church before the sermon begins.
Manni01 likes this.
post #1018 of 1078 Old 07-17-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
Well, if discussion were limited to new updates on the BR4K, the thread would probably die, so those of us who come here to see what's new, and there is nothing, we just begin yaking about something more relevant while waiting, kinda like chit chat in church before the sermon begins.

One recent 'event' that IS related to BD 4K/UHD is ITU-T Study Group 16 (SG16) just finished up a meeting last week in Sapporo, Japan where they were considering an extensive amendment to HEVC. The already approved h.265/HEVC standard (from early 2013) only has basic support for 4K/UHD and extensions to that standard are necessary to include such things as support for 60Hz refresh rates and 12-bit depth. It is widely believed the baseline codec for BD UHD is going to be HEVC and the updated HEVC version is necessary to satisfy the needs of BD UHD. Going into the recent SG16 meeting the goal was to reach an agreement on the proposed standard that incorporated the extensions to HEVC. If approval was reached then the updated h.265/HEVC standard will hopefully be approved and published by ITU-T within the next couple of months. Also I heard that Sony was pressing SG16 to get the updated HEVC finalized ASAP because they want to get the design for the new HEVC chips finalized so they can get them into production for planned products (hopefully including BD UHD players). The meeting report from the Sapporo SG16 has been posted on the ITU SG16 web site but only members can download a copy. Hopefully we will get word soon if the extensions for this update to the HEVC standard have been finalized, or if it's going to take another SG16 meeting to continue work on it. Based on past history it appears SG16 only meets 3 or 4 times a year so my guess is they would only fit one more meeting in during 2014.
Dan Hitchman and Manni01 like this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #1019 of 1078 Old 07-17-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Very interesting. Thanks for the update.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1020 of 1078 Old 07-18-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Good News - HEVC update approved

The executive summary has been released from last week's meeting of ITU-T SG16. The extensions to HEVC have been approved ('consented' in ITU terminology). This removes one technical roadblock for getting the BD UHD spec. completed and allows the manufacturers to move forward with producing the HEVC related hardware/software that will used with BD UHD.
(full text of exec. summary is at: http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/studygro...ults-1406.aspx)

Below is extracted directly from that summary:

"Video coding: The 2nd edition of ITU-T H.265 HEVC was Consented It includes three important types of extensions of HEVC coding capabilities, that will increase the quality of compressed video and better user experience:

1. Format range extensions of HEVC, known as RExt, adding improved colour representations. RExt includes support for higher bit-depths and enhanced chroma formats, including the use of full-resolution chroma.

2. Scalable extensions of HEVC, known as SHVC, enabling better performance for dynamic video streaming on networks with varying transmission conditions and other scenarios involving multiple bit-rate services. SHVC adds support for embedded bitstream scalability in which different levels of encoding quality are efficiently supported by adding or removing layered subsets of encoded data.

3. Multiview extensions of HEVC, known as MV-HEVC, as the first native support for 3D video encoding in HEVC. It provides an efficient representation of video content with multiple camera views and optional depth map information, such as for 3D stereoscopic and autostereoscopic video applications.

Conformance testing of image and video coding standards: A pair of new specifications that are used for conformance testing of ITU-T H.265 HEVC video were consented at this meeting:
  • · ITU-T H.265.1 "Conformance specification for ITU-TH.265 high efficiency video coding" (New) [TD 286/Plen]
  • · ITU-T H.265.2 "Reference software for ITU-T H.265 high efficiency video coding" (New) [TD 287/Plen]"
___________________________________----

So among other things the 2nd edition of H.265/HEVC includes support for increased bit depths, up to 4:4:4 chroma, and 3D. The full set of extensions/enhancements will be documented in the actual standards document when it is published and will include such other enhancements as support for higher refresh rates at 4K/UHD resolution.
Manni01 and urskog like this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 07-18-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page