Forum Jump: 
 74Likes
post #1141 of 1149 Unread 08-18-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 121
A short paper has been issued out of the ITU MPEG group meeting that approved the 2nd edition of H.265 (link below for the full paper in MS Word format).
http://mpeg.chiariglione.org/sites/d.../w14537_0.docx

Included is the following description related to HEVC:

At the 109th MPEGmeeting, the standard development work was completed for two importantextensions to the High Efficiency Video Coding standard (ISO/IEC 23008-2, also standardized by ITU-T as Rec. H.265).

The first of these are the scalability extensions of HEVC, known as SHVC, adding support for embedded bitstream scalability in which different levels of encoding quality are efficiently supported by adding or removing layered subsets of encoded data. The other are the multiview extensions of HEVC, known as MV-HEVC providing efficient representation of video content with multiple camera views and optional depth map information, such as for 3D stereoscopic and autostereoscopic video applications. MV-HEVC is the 3D video extension of HEVC, and further work for more efficient coding of 3D video is ongoing.

SHVC and MV-HEVC will be combined with the original content of the HEVC standard and also the recently-completed format range extensions (known as RExt), so that a new edition of the standard will be published that contains all extensions approved up to this time.

In addition, the finalization of reference software and a conformance test set for HEVC was completed at the 109th meeting, as ISO/IEC 23008-5 and ISO/IEC 23008-8, respectively. These important standards will greatly help industry achieve effective interoperability between products using HEVC and provide valuable information to ease the development of such products.
Manni01 and urskog like this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 08-18-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1149 Unread 08-18-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Thanks for publishing that in the equivalent to Greek. Perhaps somebody could dumb it down a bit.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1143 of 1149 Unread 08-18-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Thanks for publishing that in the equivalent to Greek. Perhaps somebody could dumb it down a bit.
As I understand it, SHVC will allow to embed various layers so that depending on the player's capabilities you can get various levels of quality. Think DTS-HD with a core and a lossless extension, but with more than one extension (something like core, Level1, level2, etc). If the player isn't very powerful, it will reproduce the video at core quality. As players have more and more power, they will be able to "read" more levels and achieve better quality. This is more efficient than having one stream per quality as each level uses the info contained in the lower levels.

MV-HEVC is the 3D equivalent for h265 of MVC for h264, which what is used to encode 3D blurays in full quality. So 3D Blurays use MVC, 3D 4K Blurays will use MV-HEVC.
mark haflich likes this.
post #1144 of 1149 Unread 08-18-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
As I understand it, SHVC will allow to embed various layers so that depending on the player's capabilities you can get various levels of quality. Think DTS-HD with a core and a lossless extension, but with more than one extension (something like core, Level1, level2, etc). If the player isn't very powerful, it will reproduce the video at core quality. As players have more and more power, they will be able to "read" more levels and achieve better quality. This is more efficient than having one stream per quality as each level uses the info contained in the lower levels.

MV-HEVC is the 3D equivalent for h265 of MVC for h264, which what is used to encode 3D blurays in full quality. So 3D Blurays use MVC, 3D 4K Blurays will use MV-HEVC.

SHVC could, for example, allow the main/core encoded layer to be 1080p/8-bit while the extension layer(s) could add the extra information to bring the resolution up to UHD or for increased bit depths, etc. The simpler codec used by for digital cinema does something similar where the main layer has 2K resolution and the extension adds the additional info bring it up to 4K. In this case the extension layer requires a much lower data rate to increase the resolution from 2K to 4K. This is done because most commercial cinemas still have 2K projectors while 4K is still rolling out. The same data source works with either 2K or 4K equipped cinemas.
mark haflich likes this.

Ron Jones

Last edited by Ron Jones; 08-18-2014 at 05:02 PM.
post #1145 of 1149 Unread 08-18-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
SHVC could, for example, allow the main/core encoded layer to be 1080p/8-bit while the extension layer(s) could add the extra information to bring the resolution up to UHD or for increased bit depths, etc. The simpler codec used by for digital cinema does something similar where the main layer has 2K resolution and the extension adds the additional info bring it up to 4K. In this case the extension layer requires a much lower data rate to increase the resolution from 2K to 4K. This is done because most commercial cinemas still have 2K projectors while 4K is still rolling out. The same data source works with either 2K or 4K equipped cinemas.
But would it really be prudent to start with a 1080p layer? One would imagine you're buying a new UHD player and UHD discs to play 2160p content, wouldn't one?

I can see it for UHD video color gamut and/or bit depth because some older UHD's cannot support the upper level features.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1146 of 1149 Unread 08-18-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
But would it really be prudent to start with a 1080p layer? One would imagine you're buying a new UHD player and UHD discs to play 2160p content, wouldn't one?

I can see it for UHD video color gamut and/or bit depth because some older UHD's cannot support the upper level features.
I did say "for example". Blu-ray UHD probably won't start with 1080p but perhaps some other distribution methods using SHVC might go that route.

Ron Jones
post #1147 of 1149 Unread 08-18-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi,

For those interested by HDR, HEVC v2, HDMI 2.0, Blu-Ray 4K, ultra HD in general, let me submit you that link to the most comprehensive existing article in French. Please note it's very long to read (but also very informative) and please forgive me for the imperfect taduction due to google because i not feel the courage to translate myself.

https://translate.google.fr/translat...t_141366_1.htm

Regards.
post #1148 of 1149 Unread 08-18-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
As I understand it, ...

Hi Manni,

MV-HEVC also allow two UHD signals to pass for mutli viewing ( game application ). That is related to the next Display port 1.3 spécifications.

Regards.
Manni01 likes this.
post #1149 of 1149 Unread 08-18-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by safe91 View Post
Hi,

For those interested by HDR, HEVC v2, HDMI 2.0, Blu-Ray 4K, ultra HD in general, let me submit you that link to the most comprehensive existing article in French. Please note it's very long to read (but also very informative) and please forgive me for the imperfect taduction due to google because i not feel the courage to translate myself.

https://translate.google.fr/translat...t_141366_1.htm

Regards.
Extremely informative. Something I was looking for over the weekend. Looks like 10Gbps will be all we need for 4k BD. Hopefully that's true, so all the members with a 4k Sony projector can take full advantage of 4k BD

Last edited by blee0120; 08-19-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List