Blu-ray 4K UHD - coming 2015? - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #1231 of 1244 Old 09-10-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
That strategy of delaying until XMAS 2015 might work for purchases of new releases but it will take years for 4K versions of old movies to be issued. It took years for the conversion of the catalog of much of DVD releases to get on Bluray.

That's why I will most likely wait and watch until enough movies are on 4K Blu Ray to make it worth while. I'm guessing that will be 2020. That should give me enough time to replace all my HD DVD's that I might want to re-watch in the future with either Blu Rays or 4K versions ( if available and if they are actually a quality improvement - I'm guessing many older films won't look any better than now ), so I can get rid of my HD DVD player, from the last format war !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1244 Old 09-10-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Other than big/popular sellers, I think A LOT of Blu catalogs will never see 4K.
reanimator likes this.
post #1233 of 1244 Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Other than big/popular sellers, I think A LOT of Blu catalogs will never see 4K.
True, even when some of the big hitter catalog titles received 4k re-mastering. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is the latest from Sony. It took forever to be on Blu-ray... I doubt they would release it at the start of 4k Blu-ray. They don't even want to produce discs anymore. Sony always dumps products they helped create. They're a crazy company.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1234 of 1244 Old 09-26-2014, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Will 4k blu-ray support movies shot in 1080p but use dci-p3?
post #1235 of 1244 Old 09-27-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
Will 4k blu-ray support movies shot in 1080p but use dci-p3?
iIt's unknown a this point what the updated blu-ray standard may change related to 1080p releases. However I doubt they will make any significant changes as these discs will continue to be encoded using h.264 while the emphasis of the new standard will be on h.265 (HEVC) encoded 4K/UHD video.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #1236 of 1244 Old 09-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
..... It will be interesting to see how many people choose to watch 2D 4K Blu-Ray over 3D 2K Blu-Ray and whether or not they purchase one or both.

Ok, I'll be the first to raise my hand, I'll choose 4K BR over 3D 2K.
Sorry, but until we can get 3D glasses free in a projector on the same screen that is used for 2D I won't be joining that party. I watched the second Hobbit movie in 3D with the sony glasses, sony vw95, on my 120x51 screen, it was mesmerizing, loved the effect, didn't notice any ghosting or other distractions other than the damn glasses. I know there are probably lighter ones but after watching it, both my wife and I agreed that 2D is more enjoyable without having to wear glasses over our glasses. Now if I could buy prescription glasses for 3D that are active and weigh no more than my usual glasses then that may be a game changer.
I think the proposed 4K with the expanded color, bit depth and high dynamic contrast will be even more mesmerizing than 2K 3D, at least until we do it without glasses.
post #1237 of 1244 Old 09-30-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rarely agree on everything, jlanzy nailed it
post #1238 of 1244 Old 09-30-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
Ok, I'll be the first to raise my hand, I'll choose 4K BR over 3D 2K.
Sorry, but until we can get 3D glasses free in a projector on the same screen that is used for 2D I won't be joining that party. I watched the second Hobbit movie in 3D with the sony glasses, sony vw95, on my 120x51 screen, it was mesmerizing, loved the effect, didn't notice any ghosting or other distractions other than the damn glasses. I know there are probably lighter ones but after watching it, both my wife and I agreed that 2D is more enjoyable without having to wear glasses over our glasses. Now if I could buy prescription glasses for 3D that are active and weigh no more than my usual glasses then that may be a game changer.
I think the proposed 4K with the expanded color, bit depth and high dynamic contrast will be even more mesmerizing than 2K 3D, at least until we do it without glasses.
Hopefully we won't need to choose - a good 'deluxe edition' already contains multiple discs, and I would hope that they include both a 4K and 3d 1080p disc in the same package, especially if they're going to charge > $30. That said, studios love to make people double dip, so some will no doubt sell two different packages, and in that case, I think most 4K owners will pick that format. Until adoption rises though, I think they would want to hedge their bets as 3D has been out longer.
post #1239 of 1244 Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'll just be happy if they announce a standard and there's good content support behind it.

I've been getting more promotional emails recently for new 4K sets from BB and Sony. I never once searched for a 4K set but I guess they're trying to hype up the next big thing.
post #1240 of 1244 Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll just be happy if they announce a standard and there's good content support behind it.

I've been getting more promotional emails recently for new 4K sets from BB and Sony. I never once searched for a 4K set but I guess they're trying to hype up the next big thing.
post #1241 of 1244 Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

I'll be happy if they announce a good standard. One that really sets the bar high, not just the status quo.
tigerfan33 and catonic like this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1242 of 1244 Old 09-30-2014, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
..... It will be interesting to see how many people choose to watch 2D 4K Blu-Ray over 3D 2K Blu-Ray and whether or not they purchase one or both.
I dont think front projection with glasses free 3D will happen, ever. There is just no way to direct bouncing light from a screen specifically to the right and left eye. However you should be able to get prescription glasses with different polarization on the right and left eye. Clip-ons with polarizing filters should also be easy to do. The screens needed to preserve polarization are not ideal for 2D though as they tend to hotspot and show sparklies.
post #1243 of 1244 Old 10-14-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

At least one studio is cutting back on regular Blu Ray content:

Quote:
This year, Fox has been cutting back on Blu-ray Disc releases for TV shows whose most recent season (or volume) set releases on BD just didn't have enough sales to justify the format. Apparently The Americans is one of these, as The Complete 2nd Season is being announced for DVD format only. Perhaps you and I were buying the Blu versions of those seasons, but not enough other people have been!
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Ame...#ixzz3GAVPcfEg

Of course, if they priced it the same as DVD, Blu-Ray box sets might have a better chance.
post #1244 of 1244 Old 10-17-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
At least one studio is cutting back on regular Blu Ray content:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Ame...#ixzz3GAVPcfEg

Of course, if they priced it the same as DVD, Blu-Ray box sets might have a better chance.
Totally agree. I'm really annoyed that Modern Family Season 5 is only available on DVD when every previous season has had a simultaneous Blu-ray release. I'll be blowed if I'm going to buy it in awful standard def. It does make you wonder about the viability of 4k Blu when after many years Blu-ray is still relatively niche and most people remain happy with DVD. As a professional calibrator I despair.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page