Blu-ray 4K UHD - coming 2015? - Page 46 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 268Likes

post #1351 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
What you guys don't seem to get is the vast vast majority of the potential market for 4K material doesn't give a damn about superior PQ. They care about instant gratification. They want content as soon as its released and they want to pay only a few dollars for it. They want price over quality and display size over PQ. They are oblivious to the geometrical distortion in curved sets. BTW DVD is now 20 years old.
I think the larger display size helps our cause though. I agree with you to an extent as much of our younger generation prefers to watch movies on a 5" cell phone screen or on an ipad (which I still don't comprehend), but I think (hope) there is a large enough niche to support UHD Blu for years to come (think of it the way laser disc existed). Interestingly enough, DVD although 480i is a physical format still be used quite regualrly where similar quality downloads are plentiful. Every time I go to any grocery or drug store I see DVDs and BDs for sale.

Worse case scenario, UHD Blu rolls out and then dies after a couple of years similarly to D-VHS as downstreaming becomes the only way for UHD movies. I don't quite see this scenario. It was basically known D-VHS was a stop gap until HD DVD & Blu-ray would arrive. I don't think UHD Blu is looked at in the same manner.

Last edited by DavidHir; 01-09-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
...Interestingly enough, DVD although 480i is a physical format still be used quite regualrly where similar quality downloads are plentiful. Every time I go to any grocery or drug store I see DVDs and BDs for sale.
... but how much do they really sell? There will be say some parents that will buy kids movies they can play again and again in a straightforward manner, including in the van. Where I live, DVD and Bluray rentals are disappearing more quickly than I expected... including these automated rental kiosks. I watch many movies or series just once and do not want to buy just for that (even used). While 4k bluray is certainly exciting, it will likely constitute less than 10% of what I will be watching in the next 5 years. I hope Bluray as a whole will remain a viable format (4K or not). I will be glad to be proven wrong.
post #1353 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post
... but how much do they really sell? There will be say some parents that will buy kids movies they can play again and again in a straightforward manner, including in the van. Where I live, DVD and Bluray rentals are disappearing more quickly than I expected... including these automated rental kiosks. I watch many movies or series just once and do not want to buy just for that (even used). While 4k bluray is certainly exciting, it will likely constitute less than 10% of what I will be watching in the next 5 years. I hope Bluray as a whole will remain a viable format (4K or not). I will be glad to be proven wrong.
I would have to believe they are selling some otherwise they wouldn't waste space with them when they could be selling other items in that spot. Rental outfits are dying, but many DVDs aside from new releases can be purchased for $2-4 so it's also not a surprise. I don't have data, but I get the sense physical media is becoming more of a purchase item versus a rental one nowadays.

In my case, I only live about a mile from a Family Video store, so Blu-ray rental is easy for me and the prices are nice.

post #1354 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I believe the UHDs will be a success. Maybe not a big success or even a moderate one. As long as the new hardware is backward compatible, I don't see a reason why there won't be a decent amount of player sales. Even if software sales are huge, I can still see the major movies being released in UHD. If sales were so bad, then Walmart would remove them and put something else on the racks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Are you following the lead of Bill Cosby? Ron had previously posted that he would not be attending CES but that he would have eyes and ears there through Art.
I did not see that on his blog and haven't read all of the posts here.

And is there a better person to follow the lead of? Lets see, father of the 80s and a sex life that would make Warren Beatty jealous.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #1355 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

UHD will be a success as TV manufacturers will drop prices soon and with a year or two, most TVs will be 4k. Whether they add full support for the new Bluray spec any time soon is quite unclear, especially if it requires substantial investments. Also, I do not see the 4k Bluray as the major driving force. UHD Streaming (VOD, broadcast, downloads) will likely affect people's decisions more. Manufacturers are catering to the masses more so than before.
post #1356 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:

Here are the sales numbers for Blu Ray and DVD's - http://www.the-numbers.com/home-mark...dia-sales/2014

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1357 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can PS3/PS4 read 4K Blu Ray ?
post #1358 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Here are the sales numbers for Blu Ray and DVD's - http://www.the-numbers.com/home-mark...dia-sales/2014
The numbers on Frozen...wow!
Lazarus Dark and GoCaboNow like this.

post #1359 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Can PS3/PS4 read 4K Blu Ray ?
No. Just regular Blu-ray.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #1360 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
These may be impressive (?), though through my half empty glass, I see that on average each of these titles has been purchased by less than 1% of the US population. This may be sustainable... I hope it is.
post #1361 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

When you add up all of the titles (most of which not even listed), there is still A LOT of money being taken in by physical media sales...even if streaming is gaining market share.

post #1362 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In the U.S., Frozen pulled in just over $400 million at the theaters - the Blu alone did $317 million. The DVD did almost $167 million.

post #1363 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
No. Just regular Blu-ray.
Are you sure about that Dan?

I was under the impression that it had a BDXL drive, and Ron Jones confirmed at the time that it had HDMI 2.0 (level B) and HDCP 2.2, if I remember correctly.

If this is correct, it could become a Trojan UHD bluray player with a simple f/w update, as it clearly has the CPU/GPU power to decode HEVC.

I don't have any confirmation for the above, but if you have a confirmation that it's not correct, I'd love to see it.
post #1364 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
UHD will be a success as TV manufacturers will drop prices soon and with a year or two, most TVs will be 4k. Whether they add full support for the new Bluray spec any time soon is quite unclear, especially if it requires substantial investments. Also, I do not see the 4k Bluray as the major driving force. UHD Streaming (VOD, broadcast, downloads) will likely affect people's decisions more. Manufacturers are catering to the masses more so than before.
I too think UHD will be successful. If 1080p TVs are replaced with 4K TVs, then they will not have much of a choice but to provide UHD content. Whether that be broadcast, sports, gaming, streaming, or 4k BD. It will be slow of course, since we are finally getting content in 1080p over the last year or two.
post #1365 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I too think UHD will be successful. If 1080p TVs are replaced with 4K TVs, then they will not have much of a choice but to provide UHD content. Whether that be broadcast, sports, gaming, streaming, or 4k BD. It will be slow of course, since we are finally getting content in 1080p over the last year or two.

Of course they have a choice. Your 4K TV has no problem upscaling 720p. I doubt most people have much idea what the resolution of most cable channels is. That said, I'll take 4K source material if I can get it. The cable companies compress things so much now though, we're going to need more bandwidth !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #1366 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

I was under the impression that it had a BDXL drive, and Ron Jones confirmed at the time that it had HDMI 2.0 (level B) and HDCP 2.2, if I remember correctly.

If this is correct, it could become a Trojan UHD bluray player with a simple f/w update, as it clearly has the CPU/GPU power to decode HEVC.

I don't have any confirmation for the above, but if you have a confirmation that it's not correct, I'd love to see it.
It depends on the type of drive included. BDXL, at least in terms of current computer drives, seems to have meant the BDXL recordable media. 66 and 100 GB discs for Ultra HD are stamped.

post #1367 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It depends on the type of drive included. BDXL, at least in terms of current computer drives, seems to have meant the BDXL recordable media. 66 and 100 GB discs for Ultra HD are stamped.
It's like with bluray. If you get a bluray recorder, you can both record recordable media and read non recordable media.

With BDXL, if you have a recorder you can record recordable media - and read non-recordable one - but if it's a simple reader nothing prevents you from reading non-recordable media.

I have no idea whether the drive in the PS4 is able to record or not, but I heard it was a BDXL model, which means the PS4, potentially, could become a UHD bluray reader (possibly with some limitations, like the initial PS3 had vs a dedicated bluray player).

I'm only saying this so that the PS4 is not written off too quickly as not having the potential to be a Trojan UHD bluray player.

Last edited by Manni01; 01-09-2015 at 11:26 AM.
post #1368 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I had a DLP that I recently sold and I miss the DLP look. Since I will be going with a 10ft+ wide screen in less than a year, I decided to sell the 600 lumen LED DLP. Really hoping in the next two years, I can pull off a 4k JVC/Sony and 4K DLP.
Quote:
Of course they have a choice. Your 4K TV has no problem upscaling 720p. I doubt most people have much idea what the resolution of most cable channels is. That said, I'll take 4K source material if I can get it. The cable companies compress things so much now though, we're going to need more bandwidth !!
I really got tired of watching how bad my cable looked with Directv. Some stations looked good but some are awful. I found myself watching a tv show on Netflix through my Oppo because it was a Netflix show not available on TV and I could not believe how much better it looked. I subscribed to Hulu plus and Netflix both for a small price and got rid of my $130 a month cable bill. If 4K streaming just looks a tad bit better, I'll be sold.
post #1369 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Some shows on Netflix, like Marco Polo, just look great on my VW300 - even though I cannot stream it in 4k yet (though it is available in 4k now).

Here is a good article on trends on bluray sales up to now - not too bad but declining year over year:

http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/D...december-2014/
post #1370 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I know this is more about software than hardware, but ... 4K direct view displays will begin to benefit from the significant development and production for video production and post production. I tend to think that the prices will come down on the displays, PQ will grow, as will demand. I suspect that will drive more content, and if streaming can't deliver enough UHD soon, discs will come to bridge that.

And manufacturers do eventually respond to our PQ desires. Maybe you've forgotten how tough it used to be to get to the controls to calibrate a display. They are now there in spades right in the user menus! That's a change I never thought we'd see.
DavidHir likes this.
post #1371 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
There is no doubt in my mind that physical media will succeed. Streaming is convenient but it will always have issues.

For example: my household has a fairly quick (but overpriced) internet connection through Comcast. However, it would be nearly impossible for me to maintain a UHD stream, why? As I type this, there are at least 10 plus Wifi devices connected to my router. An iPad streaming YouTube + A PS4 playing Destiny + Laptops surfing the Web = not enough bandwidth left for 4K and barley enough left for 1080p.

This scenario doesn't happen with physical media. In fact, my ISP could be down for service and a 4K Bluray would still play just fine. Not to mention, there is still a large number of households that don't have access to high speed internet. In the end, the only thing that will really hold back 4K Bluray is the price. They have to find a way to keep the players and disk cheap.
post #1372 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegt View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that physical media will succeed. Streaming is convenient but it will always have issues.

For example: my household has a fairly quick (but overpriced) internet connection through Comcast. However, it would be nearly impossible for me to maintain a UHD stream, why? As I type this, there are at least 10 plus Wifi devices connected to my router. An iPad streaming YouTube + A PS4 playing Destiny + Laptops surfing the Web = not enough bandwidth left for 4K and barley enough left for 1080p.

This scenario doesn't happen with physical media. In fact, my ISP could be down for service and a 4K Bluray would still play just fine. Not to mention, there is still a large number of households that don't have access to high speed internet. In the end, the only thing that will really hold back 4K Bluray is the price. They have to find a way to keep the players and disk cheap.
The trouble is: I don't think they'll keep these discs "cheap." The price some of these studios want for digital UHD downloads on their proprietary services that are far less capable than the proposed 4k Blu-ray standards is outrageous and that's with no packaged media included.

post #1373 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The trouble is: I don't think they'll keep these discs "cheap." The price some of these studios want for digital UHD downloads on their proprietary services that are far less capable than the proposed 4k Blu-ray standards is outrageous and that's with no packaged media included.
The price should be interesting. I am speculating $20-30 each street price from Amazon initially.

post #1374 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
UHD Discs Announced

Ultra HD Blu-ray Spec at CES 2015

sounds pretty good! Now the real question... will my VW600ES be able to use these discs???
post #1375 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
If it's anything like games, you can get media on sale whereas downloads don't seem to have sales to the same extent.

That and of course, you can always re-sell media.
post #1376 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
The price should be interesting. I am speculating $20-30 each street price from Amazon initially.

That might drive down the price of Blu Rays, for those people staying with 1080p for now. Win win !!

post #1377 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That might drive down the price of Blu-rays, for those people staying with 1080p for now. Win win !!
The glass half full side of me says: right on! The glass half empty side of me says: ain't gonna happen.

post #1378 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

I was never able to confirm the HDCP version and the HDMI version is also not absolutely confirmed as 2.0 (may be an enhanced version of 1.4 with some HDMI 2.0 features but not a full HDMI 2.0 implementation). I have not attempted to keep up with PS4 news since shortly after it came out, perhaps the HDMI and HDCP info has by now been confirmed by someone. If it doesn't have the hardware for HDCP 2.2 then its a no go for ever supporting UHD Blu-ray and, unlike what was the situation with the PS3, it appears Sony hasn't put much attention into the PS4's disc playback capabilities.
Dan Hitchman and Manni01 like this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #1379 of 1942 Old 01-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
I was never able to confirm the HDCP version and the HDMI version is also not absolutely confirmed as 2.0 (may be an enhanced version of 1.4 with some HDMI 2.0 features but not a full HDMI 2.0 implementation). I have not attempted to keep up with PS4 news since shortly after it came out, perhaps the HDMI and HDCP info has by now been confirmed by someone. If it doesn't have the hardware for HDCP 2.2 then its a no go for ever supporting UHD Blu-ray and, unlike what was the situation with the PS3, it appears Sony hasn't put much attention into the PS4's disc playback capabilities.
Based on when the PS4 was released and the state of the HDMI chips used in their TV's and AV receivers at that time, I suspect that the PS4's HDMI chip maxes out at 10.2 Gbps, but that it is capable of supporting 2160p @ 60 fps using 8-bit 4:2:0 sub sampling if/when Sony decides to push the update to enable it. However, I doubt that it is HDCP 2.2 compliant, which means it won't be able to play UHD Blu-Rays or stream copy protected 4K content.
post #1380 of 1942 Old 01-10-2015, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Hi Ron,

Thanks for this.

As I said, I've not been able to get confirmation one way or the other, which is why I was asking Dan if he had some solid info regarding the PS4 hdmi/hdcp/bd player specs before we write it off as a potential Trojan UHD player (even with limited features, like the PS3 was for bluray at the time).

Meantime, you're going to have to edit a few posts re the PS4 supporting HDMI 2.0, as you're my source of information for this .

Starting with post 1 of this very thread:
3. PS4 will have a HDMI 2.0 port (source - Sony representative at IFA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page